Page 47 of 833 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast

Yes, Gillen handled Storm badly in the past. But after all these years, I think I'll give him another chance.

Well, I wasn't looking forward to this event anyway. This is so pointless, putting the two huge fanbases of Avengers and X-Men against one another, yet again is just a huge disappointment from Marvel's writers. They need to do better than to go back and stir up the fanbase. It feels like they do not care at all about their readers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Yeah you did. I guess I just wouldn't have worded it as bluntly as you did, lol. But he's a big boy and obviously gave back the same energy he precieved.

I get where you're coming from but I feel like if Storm would be that much trouble for them they'd just erase her and be done with it or just remove her powers completely.

Or if we're being really extreme I pose the question could the reality manipulator create a null area that is completely void of the components Storm needs to operate. Internal attacks aside, that would leave her pretty vulnerable.
    Y'know, somewhat related, I was thinking the other day about how most power-dampening tech works, and how they've been consistently used as like, the one real threat against omegas, with Nimrod using a power dampener in his fight against Magneto and Leech being used to depower Absolon Mercator so he could be 'killed' in the 198 comic. Leaving aside that I think that's a dumb Achilles Heel when its equally well established that various omegas like Storm and Bobby have a history of being able to override or overwhelm attempts at dampening their powers because there's so damn MUCH power in them......I think both of them would be ideal ways to counter enemies trying to dampen or negate omegas' powers in battle.

See, because pretty much every mutant-specific power dampener I've ever seen in comics works by exerting some kind of energy or pulse that affects the body of the mutant in question and temporarily negates their X-gene.....

But Storm, Bobby and a couple of other omegas don't actually need to be bodily present to use their powers on an area, or can work through avatars/forms that don't actually HAVE a genetic structure and are basically just elemental! How can you negate their powers when they're using those powers from half a world away from where all your power dampening tech is actually stationed? Or in Bobby's case are essentially a block of ice with no biology TO affect, same deal with Ororo once she figures out how to turn into a storm elemental like in that Ages of Apocalypse future timeline?

Would love to see a circuit or lineup of omegas go to war on mutantdom's behalf and Nimrod and Orchis and whoever else is like hahaha we've got our secret weapon, unleash the power dampening tech.....and then Bobby and Storm just teleport to the other side of the planet, Storm expands her consciousness and is like hold my beer while I drop a dozen F5 tornadoes on these assholes and swat them like flies from several continents away, and then 2.5 seconds after all the power dampening tech has just been wrecked to hell and back, they teleport back in and Storm cracks her knuckles like now where were we.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Y'know, somewhat related, I was thinking the other day about how most power-dampening tech works, and how they've been consistently used as like, the one real threat against omegas, with Nimrod using a power dampener in his fight against Magneto and Leech being used to depower Absolon Mercator so he could be 'killed' in the 198 comic. Leaving aside that I think that's a dumb Achilles Heel when its equally well established that various omegas like Storm and Bobby have a history of being able to override or overwhelm attempts at dampening their powers because there's so damn MUCH power in them......I think both of them would be ideal ways to counter enemies trying to dampen or negate omegas' powers in battle.

See, because pretty much every mutant-specific power dampener I've ever seen in comics works by exerting some kind of energy or pulse that affects the body of the mutant in question and temporarily negates their X-gene.....

But Storm, Bobby and a couple of other omegas don't actually need to be bodily present to use their powers on an area, or can work through avatars/forms that don't actually HAVE a genetic structure and are basically just elemental! How can you negate their powers when they're using those powers from half a world away from where all your power dampening tech is actually stationed? Or in Bobby's case are essentially a block of ice with no biology TO affect, same deal with Ororo once she figures out how to turn into a storm elemental like in that Ages of Apocalypse future timeline?

Would love to see a circuit or lineup of omegas go to war on mutantdom's behalf and Nimrod and Orchis and whoever else is like hahaha we've got our secret weapon, unleash the power dampening tech.....and then Bobby and Storm just teleport to the other side of the planet, Storm expands her consciousness and is like hold my beer while I drop a dozen F5 tornadoes on these assholes and swat them like flies from several continents away, and then 2.5 seconds after all the power dampening tech has just been wrecked to hell and back, they teleport back in and Storm cracks her knuckles like now where were we.
    See the thing that makes Storm unique among the Omega mutants is that even if someone came up with a way to nullify their X-Powers, they SHOULD still have to deal with Storm's divine power set. We know for sure that at a baseline she can use it to mimic her mutant powers as her divine power has overcome a magical storm that her mutant powers couldn't touch.

I mean I get it, depowered Storm is all knuckles and knives and fisticuffs. We love that here since it's given us some truly badass displays and strength of will.

My complaint is that I wish they would acknowledge that fact. As stated by Coates, her divinity is beyond any mutation. It is a separate source of power in its entirety. Now I can't say I've read every single comic Thor has been in but I don't off the top of my head recall a technological device from Nimrod to Granny gun goop nullifying his divinity/powers.

They can have their H2H Storm and easily play up the fact that she could very easily unleash divine bolts of lightning and whatnot, but could the enemy she's fighting deal with that type of power? If she's in a H2H position I'm going to bet on a solid NOPE. That's where Storm and her morality would kick in.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Astonishing Member

Also true as well! Just more and more proof that treating power dampening/negation as a one size fits all measure is just lazy writing. If you want to genuinely pose a threat to characters like Storm, come up with legitimate threat, don't take her out of the fight with a Charlie Horse or whatever it was they ended up claiming happened in that fight linked a few pages ago. I forget, I stopped paying attention to the writer's attempted walk-back of it on account of it sounded dumb.

I think we should start looking at storms abilities from a metaphysical point of view. And I think Jwatson was unto something. I mean in way of x legion tells dust/soraya to stop thinking of her abilities as sand related but rather should have a deeper sense of her abilities a metaphysical sense. It was through this thinking that enabled her to do something that if I hadn't seen I wont believe and that was connect thousands of souls at once to create a give mind and this piece onslaught together so they can defeat him.
    That was a BIG feat for dust and essentially revealed the true nature of her abilities as one of that connects individual pieces together to form a greater whole and due to sand being the easiest way got her to Express this.

And with other elemental like aero and bobby being able to tap into the real definition of their abilities to the extent that bobby can literally stop light. And he is omega so he could potentially apply this to anything and everything.

With what happened with Kate and her resurrection revealed that mutant powers are literally an expression of who they really are. When you remove the layers, it is who they are born as.

So with that angle what do we thing is weather and why of all if not mot mutants storms emotions are something she must always keep in check in order to cause catastrophe. Why is that a hammering point for her why is it that it was actively expressed for her because many if not most mutants get a power boost from being angry or more emotional but only with storm do they have to rush outside the planet when she is feeling intense emotion. Just something to think about.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Its written by Gillen... that's all I need to know.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    He is HORRIFIC for Storm. This event may sound awesome but he doesn’t really get her, and that definitely shows in he writes her. He writes her as if she just joined the X-Men in 1975 - no violence, no killing, lightning is the fix for everything, and I can’t fight my wat out of a wet paper bag.

Like his take on her is:

- no emotional, moral, and tactical growth from her time w/ the X-Men or as a hero
    - no growth or understanding of the big picture and gray areas that come w/ being a figure w/ political impacts, let alone being a leader
    - completely incompetent in combat

I have no faith in him w/ respect to Storm. He wrote the hell out of Emma, Scott, Magik, Magneto, etc…but Storm… hopefully she’s just on the cover or any issues w/ her in this event gets handled by Ewing.
    and more facts. im not going anywhere near this. I'm expecting lightning lass and I'm good on that.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Yeah you did. I guess I just wouldn't have worded it as bluntly as you did, lol. But he's a big boy and obviously gave back the same energy he precieved.

I get where you're coming from but I feel like if Storm would be that much trouble for them they'd just erase her and be done with it or just remove her powers completely.

Or if we're being really extreme I pose the question could the reality manipulator create a null area that is completely void of the components Storm needs to operate. Internal attacks aside, that would leave her pretty vulnerable.

IIRC he gave Emma's diamond form one of her best durability feats to date, had Magneto acting as a nervous system to a celestial, yet had Storm "lose fine control" and being flung into a tree by her own winds.

So yeah the general consensus stands, he's a amazing writer for every character... but Storm.

I grow more thankful for Ewing every day.
    no thank you... do not need anymore of this ever:

Astonishing Member

Tbh, Gillen's very hyped up and its not that he's not a good writer, its that he's a good writer whose writing skills have been pointed to in order to shield him from a lot of valid criticism about how heavily/frequently he leans into antiblackness tropes like with Baal in his Wicked + Divine series. I don't think its something he does consciously, but I think he's a writer who views himself as inherently progressive and that's stunted his ability to critically examine his own writing and acknowledge where he still has work to do unlearning various views or tendencies that result from being raised/shaped by a racist society no matter how innately progressive one prefers to view themselves as being. But I digress.

Reigna, fascinating conversation to be had with your last post and I'm mulling it over.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Tbh, Gillen's very hyped up and its not that he's not a good writer, its that he's a good writer whose writing skills have been pointed to in order to shield him from a lot of valid criticism about how heavily/frequently he leans into antiblackness tropes like with Baal in his Wicked + Divine series. I don't think its something he does consciously, but I think he's a writer who views himself as inherently progressive and that's stunted his ability to critically examine his own writing and acknowledge where he still has work to do unlearning various views or tendencies that result from being raised/shaped by a racist society no matter how innately progressive one prefers to view themselves as being. But I digress.

Reigna, fascinating conversation to be had with your last post and I'm mulling it over.
    Exactly. cause I was reading all xmen run and I was shocked at how little storm mattered in the book. Like it even made me feel sick.

Even ilyana's sword had more personality and impact that storm.
    I have said this all over...
    But I respect that this time he knows his strenth and he is not going to waste his time with characters he doesn't really care for. All I can hope is that he doesn't do anything to derail what Ewing plans to do with her. Would have wanted her to not be written by him in any capacity but sadly I don't call the shots.

Also the wicked and the divine was meh... Baal felt very regressive as a character not gonna lie and persephone was annoying as heck as a protagonist. I guess he does it for some people good for him and them.

Oh please do its very interesting seeing mutant powers as more than well powers but also as expressions of their innermost self.
    Last edited by Reigna; 02-02-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    no thank you... do not need anymore of this ever:

Like the power was one thing also he definitely made lightning lass.

But storms character was sooo weird. She felt aloof and not present most of the time and almost empty and forgotten in other times. Like they tried giving her a leading role but that was meh to the story.

I have a little principle in life. Abd that is, if you cant do it well dont even start it. Hence why I don't trust Duggan with storm no matter what. It is what it is I guess.

Gillen is friends with Ewing, and perhaps he would respect the storm Ewing describes.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Gillen is friends with Ewing, and perhaps he would respect the storm Ewing describes.
    All I am asking for. He did tweet and has stated in interviews how high concept the xmen red book is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    All I am asking for. He did tweet and has stated in interviews how high concept the xmen red book is.
    I remember Gillen retweeting XMR and saying, "This is a beast of a book." Anyway, I hope he handled the storm better This time.