Page 273 of 456 FirstFirst ... 173223263269270271272273274275276277283323373 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,095 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think of it like this. Wanda went back in time and was in the body of her ancestor Lucy the Red. So she had pirate history. So the rapier works.
    That's some decent headcanon. Red Mage is also just a very good and versatile class so it's definitely a very solid and popular choice.
    I really only care about seeing big numbers though. If I don't annihilate my enemies then Im not interested. Don't know what that says about me but that's just how it is. I also like that many of the higher level Black Mage spells actually look and feel powerful. Something that not every game gets right.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member

To turn to positive things, the Red Lucy story was so corny but I kind of love it. A bad guy called the "Past Master" considers Wanda the most dangerous mutant because she's so popular with the public that she's influencing people into not hating and fearing mutants. So he separates her spirit from her body and exiles her to possess an ancestor of hers, who was a bloodthirsty leader of a pirate gang, who also had twin sons. Then when Wanda possesses her, she influences her into changing her ways so she only plunders and loots, but doesn't murder the entire crew.

The story has a very weak ending but the Red Lucy stuff is good fun and even features a "Scooby Doo Hoax" where a guy pretends to be a monster to scare people away from stealing his treasure.

It was written and drawn by Richard Howell (the artist of the second "Vision & the Scarlet Witch" series) and that 32-page serial in "Marvel Comics Presents" was the only Scarlet Witch solo material we got before Abnett and Lanning's 1994 mini.

From now on instead of complaining that Wanda isn't in anything (or anything good) I'll try and talk more about stories with her that I like. Not everyone has read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That's some decent headcanon. Red Mage is also just a very good and versatile class so it's definitely a very solid and popular choice.
    I really only care about seeing big numbers though. If I don't annihilate my enemies then Im not interested. Don't know what that says about me but that's just how it is. I also like that many of the higher level Black Mage spells actually look and feel powerful. Something that not every game gets right.
    Well my main is a Reaper lol. But they got nerfed now. I don't know who is on top now because I left the game a couple months ago to play other things.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    To turn to positive things, the Red Lucy story was so corny but I kind of love it. A bad guy called the "Past Master" considers Wanda the most dangerous mutant because she's so popular with the public that she's influencing people into not hating and fearing mutants. So he separates her spirit from her body and exiles her to possess an ancestor of hers, who was a bloodthirsty leader of a pirate gang, who also had twin sons. Then when Wanda possesses her, she influences her into changing her ways so she only plunders and loots, but doesn't murder the entire crew.

The story has a very weak ending but the Red Lucy stuff is good fun and even features a "Scooby Doo Hoax" where a guy pretends to be a monster to scare people away from stealing his treasure.

It was written and drawn by Richard Howell (the artist of the second "Vision & the Scarlet Witch" series) and that 32-page serial in "Marvel Comics Presents" was the only Scarlet Witch solo material we got before Abnett and Lanning's 1994 mini.

From now on instead of complaining that Wanda isn't in anything (or anything good) I'll try and talk more about stories with her that I like. Not everyone has read them.
    I wanted the Red Lucy costume to make it into MH. Because Nightcrawler had his Swashbuckler costume. And it'd fit in with some of the more whimsical costumes in that game.

Well, stories involving multiverses and families CAN succeed if they're done right:

https://www.wired.com/story/turning-...e-all-at-once/

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-fi-adventure/

It's funny, I'd never even HEARD of Everything Everywhere All At Once UNTIL I read and watched some reviews about the MoM. Many of those said reviews thought Strange 2 was fine, but I think ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of them preferred EEAAO. Which was shocking to me. As I've said MANY times before, I don't dislike multiverse stories. I dislike COMIC BOOK multiverse stories:

"Good multiverse movies/shows deal with such overwhelmingly emotional concepts such as knowing there's infinite yous with better lives where everything worked out while you're absolutely miserable, and they spend a lot of time truly delving into the real emotion behind them. The characters should absolutely struggle with how they feel in those weird situations." But DC and Marvel are just using "multiverses" and "time travel" for reasons I find to be deeply cynical, lazy and frankly gimmicky. They're just relying on "fangasms" and overwrought cameos now. And I HATE how Wanda is being sucked into this ****. You can't believe how much I despise that.

These comments describe better than I ever could how I feel about the state of the MCU right now:

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe is busier than it’s ever been — to the extent that even the diehard fans need to pause a little and revisit the Marvel lore from the past decade. A new superhero is served to us every month, packed with heavy exposition of laws and new concepts that need extensive Google searches before you can get the hang of it. There’s so much happening that it’s exhausting to try and keep up at times. Sigh, where are the simpler days of Iron Man and Black Panther where you could just focus on the story at hand and not be dragged off into confusing alternate universes at a frenzied pace as if Vin Diesel’s at the wheel?"

I am SO disappointed in the top brass at Marvel Studios. I used to be the most pro-MCU dude you could ever find. And I thought Disney/Marvel could absolutely do no wrong. But NWH and WandaVision have been the ONLY MCU projects that have made any widespread cultural ripple in the past year and a half. The comments on these threads just make me shake my head. I mean, who really gives a **** about "Earth-838" Wandas and "Earth-838" Magnetos and "Earth-838" Pietros? The Wanda we've seen in the movies and her show is the one I care about. I care about her finding Vision and giving him a new paint job. I'm hoping and PRAYING that the MCU does a DECENT job in explaining what the hell Billy and Tommy are because if they don't, anticipation for the Young Avengers is gonna fall off a cliff (And they'll just be indistinguishable from the 5,000 other MCU characters Disney is gonna introduce in the next few years). The X-Men have SO many characters in their franchise alone. They've had two decades of their own movies. Can't we just focus on the characters that are already in the MCU please? I think retconning Wanda's family in the MCU would be a HUGE mistake. You know why I say this? Because Black Widow had her family retconned into her origin story and it fucking SUCKED. I HATED what the MCU did to Natasha in Black Widow and LOTS of MCU fans apparently agree judging by its reception. Marvel should have ditched Nat's "family" and focused on her real family (and better one): The Avengers. Why do folks wanna go down this road again? I STILL think Kevin Feige is a great producer, but he and his team have REALLY got to step up their game.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-20-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Just watched the movie Everything, everywhere all at once. Can't sum up my review but at the very least.
    spoilers:
    The villain is actually fun and fitting for someone with supposed multiversal wisdom. While Wanda cannot even be the cool type of villain lol, when she became the villain, she is the most generic and utterly nonsensical type with the most mind-boggling motivation. Granted I actually fear Wanda becoming a "good/well-written villain" because that might just nail her to the other side permanently, but there is still the frustration that she cannot get good writing either way.

And how the **** did they make a fucking bagel cooler than Darkhold.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-21-2022 at 06:33 AM.

Bring back pirate Wanda .

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Well my main is a Reaper lol. But they got nerfed now. I don't know who is on top now because I left the game a couple months ago to play other things.
    Same for me. I have a huge backlog of games that I haven't even started yet.

Currently on Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Lohse is a fun character. A demon lord marked her when she was born and he tries to influence and possess her now and how you deal with that is up to you. She even has an ending unique to her if you make certain choices. The similarities with Wanda are there
    Last edited by Galerion; 05-21-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Can never get into CRPGs, but yeah, I instantly picked Loshe as my main character because of the backstory lol(which is kinda a detriment since you won't hear her voice acting that often if you play as her, at least that's the impression I got). But I never made it out of the original island in my several tries.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-21-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Another article. This time by CBR. The MCU does have a motherhood problem. And just a parental problem entirely. Comics have a slightly different issue, with just not letting anyone keep their children. With how badly treated and how little Wanda is in comics, I've often wonder if Marvel hated Shooter so much that they decided to completely trash a character he defended, after he left. They would be that small. They are after all the company that removed characters that Sony and Fox had rights to from things that were not impacted by those rights.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 05-21-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Can never get into CRPGs, but yeah, I instantly picked Loshe as my main character because of the backstory lol(which is kinda a detriment since you won't hear her voice acting that often if you play as her, at least that's the impression I got). But I never made it out of the original island in my several tries.
    Oh I know what you are talking about. Restarteritis is a real disease. I also played many starting areas in games more times than I want to admit but sometimes it just clicks.

No Wanda in the August solicits, naturally (there is a House of M omnibus in case we needed to add insult to injury). Also, Quicksilver is finally back, but in "Damage Control," which suggests that the rumor about him and Wanda joining X-Men Red is probably wrong.

Well, if Quicksilver can finally get back into a comic, maybe Wanda will someday... but when she was on top of the world in early 2021 I don't think even the most pessimistic among us would have predicted character assassination in the MCU (as Elizabeth Olsen has revealed, the people making WandaVision didn't expect it either) and another long period of being banned from comics.

She's a very special character to follow, and I think that's why I kind of secretly enjoy how depressing it is to follow her. No one else has quite this combination of huge highs and low lows. Rooting for her is a different experience, and sometimes we get what we want, and maybe someday we will again.
    There is still one of what looks to be a mini that was released on Amazon, but Marvel itself hasn’t released details of yet.

The Unforgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear, dude! I was talking about Wanda's and Agatha's relationship with the Darkhold in the COMICS. I recall Wanda became not a very nice person sometimes in the comic books when she engaged with the Darkhold. I actually haven't seen the MoM myself!
    I was just kidding!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I've been thinking about otherism as a recurring theme in Wanda's past stories. It's central to her backstory, where angry villagers attacked her & her family out of superstitious fear, and her romance with Vision turned into a metaphor for interracial marriage.

It's insane to me that they haven't capitalised on that again, as even the most hackneyed writers can whip up stories about acceptance overcoming prejudice. It's easy woke points! But I guess the problem is, it requires reading those older Wanda stories, which even a lot of comic "experts" haven't (or just haven't really paid attention to Wanda).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    I've been thinking about otherism as a recurring theme in Wanda's past stories. It's central to her backstory, where angry villagers attacked her & her family out of superstitious fear, and her romance with Vision turned into a metaphor for interracial marriage.

It's insane to me that they haven't capitalised on that again, as even the most hackneyed writers can whip up stories about acceptance overcoming prejudice. It's easy woke points! But I guess the problem is, it requires reading those older Wanda stories, which even a lot of comic "experts" haven't (or just haven't really paid attention to Wanda).
    The creator of "WandaVision" did say she originally considered having an element of that in Wanda's sitcom, but it was in the early drafts and didn't make it into the final version.

As for the comics, well, we all know the writers forgot about that aspect of her story long ago.