Page 456 of 456 FirstFirst ... 356406446452453454455456
Results 6,826 to 6,836 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scar...anda-maximoff/

I notice that Wanda (and Pietro) are being colored distinctly brown/tan. I'm curious as to whether this is an attempt to visually reassert their gypsy-ethnic roots and to also quietly make them "BIPOC" adjacent? (certain Armenian-derived celebrities come to mind...)

is this a "race bending" controversy waiting to happen or no big deal?
    Idk. Wanda and Pietro always looked white to me, I was surprised people say she was whitewashed. but I'm from a latin american country and from what I've seen online it seems like white to us is diferent to white for people in america

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Idk. Wanda and Pietro always looked white to me, I was surprised people say she was whitewashed. but I'm from a latin american country and from what I've seen online it seems like white to us is diferent to white for people in america
    The issue is really less about color (especially since comic colors are kind of arbitrary and change a lot), more that the comic version is Romani and therefore she was whitewashed by casting someone who isn't.

This always turns into a big argument because the comic version has had so many different parents and origins. But that's what people mean when they say MCU Wanda is whitewashed, and when they say she's not white they're referring to her origin rather than the way she's been drawn.

But the editor of the new Scarlet Witch comic also edited Quicksilver's miniseries after "No Surrender" a few years back, which tried to portray his Romani heritage in a more authentic and in-depth way than anyone had tried before (since originally it was just there because of magic stereotypes, like with Doom and Nightcrawler). So I wouldn't be surprised if the new comic tries to go there as well.

Which is fine and good, I just am always afraid of the people on social media who try to shame fans who like multiple versions of the character. Hopefully I'm being irrationally afraid. I probably am. And as I said before I'm probably contributing to future social media blowups by even calling attention to the controversies, which most people won't even notice.
    Last edited by gurkle; 12-31-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    It's because comics weren't really knowledgeable on Romani people. There are Romani who look white. But there are many more that don't and there were none in western modern media that looked dark. So they were going on what they knew. Which was ignorant.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scar...anda-maximoff/

I notice that Wanda (and Pietro) are being colored distinctly brown/tan. I'm curious as to whether this is an attempt to visually reassert their gypsy-ethnic roots and to also quietly make them "BIPOC" adjacent? (certain Armenian-derived celebrities come to mind...)

is this a "race bending" controversy waiting to happen or no big deal?
    Romani. G*psy is a slur to a lot of Romani people.

And it's not race-bending but correcting a long time comics error. Also Wanda herself has been colored darker before. It's definitely not the first time. It's artist dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The issue is really less about color (especially since comic colors are kind of arbitrary and change a lot), more that the comic version is Romani and therefore she was whitewashed by casting someone who isn't.

This always turns into a big argument because the comic version has had so many different parents and origins. But that's what people mean when they say MCU Wanda is whitewashed, and when they say she's not white they're referring to her origin rather than the way she's been drawn.

But the editor of the new Scarlet Witch comic also edited Quicksilver's miniseries after "No Surrender" a few years back, which tried to portray his Romani heritage in a more authentic and in-depth way than anyone had tried before (since originally it was just there because of magic stereotypes, like with Doom and Nightcrawler). So I wouldn't be surprised if the new comic tries to go there as well.

Which is fine and good, I just am always afraid of the people on social media who try to shame fans who like multiple versions of the character. Hopefully I'm being irrationally afraid. I probably am. And as I said before I'm probably contributing to future social media blowups by even calling attention to the controversies, which most people won't even notice.
    I don't worry about people on social media. Especially in places like Twitter that exist in their own terminally online bubble.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Nick Bradshaw's line art for the Marvel 2023 calendar

https://twitter.com/RPHutch1975/stat...40088788353025
    Goodness, I adore how Wanda is Drawn by Nick Bradshaw & in a Pose we don't see her enought in, Running Towards the Cover, Great Skill!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looking forward to a better year for Wanda with her new solo book and hopefully a better spotlight .
    Agree, Their is allot on the Horizon that is looking lovely for our Wanda, the Book in the Best Way to Start off 2023, What a Way to start the New Year!

Lets all support our Local Comic Stores and Buy to help them & get the book at high selling & popular!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    https://www.deviantart.com/pumpkinte...itch-942871823

And with this I wish you all a happy new year. See you all in the next one
    And a Very Happy New Year 2023 to You Galerion, Looking Forward to talking to you in the Next Year & about Wanda's New Solo Comic Adventures, Lovely Artwork Thank You, Excellent Find!

Closing in on the last half an hour for this thread. Hard to believe that this year went this fast. Happy New Year Wanda fans. Blessings to not just our fave but everyone here.

Smile Thank You for You Being You in 2022!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Closing in on the last half an hour for this thread. Hard to believe that this year went this fast. Happy New Year Wanda fans. Blessings to not just our fave but everyone here.
    I has been quite a year, one more eventful then we could have guess but we did it all together, I stil remember the beginnings of this year like they where so soon, yet still so long ago with how much has transpirted and change.

But we did it all Togehter, A Great Blessing to You GenericUsername , You are not just a Great Fan, but one of the best people on CBR I know, We are Blessed for You being You, a Very Happy New Year to you before 2022 comes to a close.

& Finally to Everyone here before 2022 Closed a Blessing to all of you for being you, Thanks for being such Good Friends to each other and fans of our Wanda, Happy New Your and a Toast to our 2022 Thread!

I leave the Last Imagesof this you with the ones that Meant more to me and I am sure others her as well, the Image that where a Blessings the most to use, I know it has changed my life and the poster for 2022!

Happy new year to everyone. I hope 2023 will be a great year