Page 281 of 456 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I was waiting for some of my favorite Youtubers' thoughts on MoM. Well, guess I am not dedicated enough since some of them already did.
    Here is Princess Weekes's takes on MoM.

Her WV takes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8vXxo-N5bU&t=2523s

Jac Schaeffer 2.0 I guess lol.(Also PW is pretty thorough about Wanda's history briefing, a nice change from people who only ever scream about AD/HOM.)
    I agree with her. Overall things looked good save for a few shaky CGI scenes where you could still see the green screen outline, lol. The costumes are good. The acting was good. The script is really the only thing that was not good.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

It's extra frustrating since good resources are kinda just wasted upon one awful script

I'm now just focusing on the next releases for Marvel and hoping those are good. I liked the Thor trailer so far. Shulkie needs work and I hope they put the work in. I don't know how I feel yet about Ms. Marvel, but I hope it's good too.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It was too extreme and campy to be taken seriously. Like a B movie.
    I wish it was more like a B-movie, those are unintentionally fun because of writing or directing incompetence, maybe bad acting too, MoM was more on the meh side lol.

I mean ****, I have no attachment to MCU in general, much less its version of Wanda (This is the first movie I saw with her in it), so I'd mind it less inconsistent characterization with previously established stuff or whatever, but she couldn't even be an actual fun villain after the first minutes, her attack on that temple was fun, but after that, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's just the writer's decision, though. Even if you assume Wanda is more powerful than Strange -- hard to believe since she uses such a limited power set in this movie -- he could go up against her by using his superior training, knowledge of more spells, etc.
    I mean, she kills all Illuminati with only Captain Marvel being near her level, she was quite clearly above everyone else.

Comics Wanda has fought characters more powerful than she is all the time. If Batman can fight Superman then Strange can fight Wanda one-on-one if they want.
    Batman managing to fight Supes is mostly bad writing anyways lol.

What is shown from Wanda is that she's just, really hard to take down, and if the Captain Marvel is this movie is on the same level as Carol, then she's actually stronger than Thanos without the Infinity Gauntlet lol.

Jean is also a bad example because she was a character that they took out of comics for a long time too.
    That and despite how powerful Jean is, she gets undermined here and there, I hear she was supposed to be the one who defeats Onslaught originally but Marvel scratched that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Have you ever heard of Dragon Ball? People who can destroy universes at this point and still they always find a worthy challenge. Granted it's an extreme example but a valid one nonetheless
    Dragon Ball has universe destroyers fighting other universe destroyers.

They also never do more than "punch harder than before" or "move faster than before".

Strange is comparable to DB characters at his best and he tends to deal with enemies stronger than him, however, in team settings, which Wanda is mostly in, characters get nerfed for the sake of the stories, so we can have someone like Thor losing in silly situations (And I'm not even thinking about the bullshit Jason Aaron makes him go through, even in older comics where his power was more respected he could lose in silly ways in Avengers comics).

So yeah, the way western comics are written focuses on trying to make everyone useful in some way, while Dragon Ball sidelines anyone who's too weak, if Avengers followed DB's writing style, and Wanda kept her HoM powers, then everyone else would be useless as she would be the only character capable of doing anything.

Wanda is not near always a villain in comics. In her 58 years she's been possessed or controlled, but not a villain for most of her years as a character. Her major villain arcs in her history are:

* The Brotherhood where she joins to pay back Magneto for saving her and her brother. She leaves after he wants her to kill Iceman
    That would be questionable to be the reason she wants to leave when Magneto in his earlier terrorism acts tried to nuke a country and she stayed around him anyways 'cause of the debt lol.

Checking out X-Men#11 here, she and Pietro just seemed to have enough of Magneto, felt they repaid the debt many times over and just left.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A problem she shares with Pym, is that Wanda doesn't have enough memorable big hero moments, to overshadow the big dramatic missteps. So the bad gets remembered, because there isn't enough big good stuff to remember. (Many of her heroic outings have been while partnered with Avengers like Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and / or the Vision, who were more likely to get the climactic 'oh yeah!' scene, barring that time she toasted Ultron after he clobbered half the team.)
    Dude, I misremembered that Ultron scene from Avengers#171 and thought she said "I know that you fear me, because I can hurt you.".

I was disappointed when I re-read it and what she says lacks the "you fear me" part, but what she does is still impressive and she still comments she can hurt him, and makes sense considering her powers and she's dealing with Ultron, in situations like that, she's basically his "Woman of Kryptonite" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True. But Wanda was the only Avenger left standing against both Dormammu and Loki. She boosted herself over a pit and even shrugged off that hardening mud that stopped others before casting her last hex.
    She didn't shrug off the mud, she quite clearly was stopped by it and then only managed to move afterwards because Loki started to attack Dormammu:

(Avengers#118)

I read Avengers/Defenders war just a few days ago so it's fresh on my mind lol.

I was surprised she's the one who ends up defeating Dormammu though, considering early Defenders stories were basically Strange stories with some other characters thrown in, and Avengers/Defenders war seemed to be another Strange story, with Dormammu being the main villain and Strange being quite clearly the most experienced character when it comes to dealing with the whole situation, but he's one of the first to be taken out (Him and the rest of the Defenders), then I thought the rest of the Avengers would pick up his slack, and most of them are incapacitated with only Wanda, Iron Man and Thor left, and when I assumed either Thor or Iron Man would end up solving it, and then Stark and Thor are taken out too, was really surprised Wanda was the one who got the win in the end, specially considering she wasn't much of a factor on the story before this (In the fight against Silver Surfer, she stayed in the ship and just got knocked out before the fight even started).

Basically this is "subvert expectations" done right, 'cause that was a pleasant surprise, and was done in a believable way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That would be questionable to be the reason she wants to leave when Magneto in his earlier terrorism acts tried to nuke a country and she stayed around him anyways 'cause of the debt lol.

Checking out X-Men#11 here, she and Pietro just seemed to have enough of Magneto, felt they repaid the debt many times over and just left.
    Both twins tried to leave before just earlier than that and went to the F4 for help and the Thing and Human Torch thought the Brotherhood were attacking. Wanda got knocked out so Pietro fled with her and they went back to Mags. They were kind of frightened of him until they built up enough strength to finally leave for good.

Both twins tried to leave before just earlier than that and went to the F4 for help and the Thing and Human Torch thought the Brotherhood were attacking. Wanda got knocked out so Pietro fled with her and they went back to Mags. They were kind of frightened of him until they built up enough strength to finally leave for good.
    Oh right, that one happened too.

It only happened a few months before they actually left as well.

Even then, Wanda in Strange Tales#128 was very insistent about staying 'cause of the honor thing, even briefly wondered if Magneto was right, Pietro was always the one who wanted to get the **** away ASAP.

Not that I'm saying she was okay with his bullshit, she wasn't, just that in that story is the one time I remember her making more excuses than the usual "Muh honor", which, really don't make her look better lol.

That story is weird anyways, since it legit makes Pietro think Magneto was right, and then he leaves the Brotherhood by his next appearance, like ST#128 didn't happen.

I'm also not sure if early issues really mentioned fear as a reason they both stayed, I only remember Wanda talking about staying because of the debt she owed, and Pietro staying because Wanda stayed, and Magneto generally mentioned them owing him too, though retcons probably added fear on top of those reasonings.

Spectacular Member

if they didn't have the dark smoke effect from WV, i can't see any excuse for them to retcon the AoU effect back

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Question

Ummm, Okkkk….?!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Spectacular Member

did anyone saw the new concept art for wanda's headpiece

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    did anyone saw the new concept art for wanda's headpiece
    Are You talking about These Froggyisnewtocomics?

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Hot Toys Scarlet Witch Figure Casts a Spell on the Multiverse
    https://www.superherohype.com/geek-c...verse#/slide/1

Oh right, that one happened too.

It only happened a few months before they actually left as well.

Even then, Wanda in Strange Tales#128 was very insistent about staying 'cause of the honor thing, even briefly wondered if Magneto was right, Pietro was always the one who wanted to get the **** away ASAP.

Not that I'm saying she was okay with his bullshit, she wasn't, just that in that story is the one time I remember her making more excuses than the usual "Muh honor", which, really don't make her look better lol.

That story is weird anyways, since it legit makes Pietro think Magneto was right, and then he leaves the Brotherhood by his next appearance, like ST#128 didn't happen.

I'm also not sure if early issues really mentioned fear as a reason they both stayed, I only remember Wanda talking about staying because of the debt she owed, and Pietro staying because Wanda stayed, and Magneto generally mentioned them owing him too, though retcons probably added fear on top of those reasonings.
    They were waiting for Stan Lee to finally part for the Avengers, lol.

It was debt and fear. Wanda spoke a few times about not wanting to anger him. And Wanda in that era had flashes of her attitude she would get later, but was way more passive then.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Hot Toys Scarlet Witch Figure Casts a Spell on the Multiverse
    https://www.superherohype.com/geek-c...verse#/slide/1
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Ummm, Okkkk….?! :P

Lol, Strange's using the time stone again

They were waiting for Stan Lee to finally part for the Avengers, lol.
    Lol I guess.

I'll always find it funny that Wanda and Pietro claim they don't want to fight anymore, and leave the brotherhood in X-Men#11, then in Avengers#16, released a week later, they join the Avengers, guess a week of pacifism got 'em bored .

[quote]It was debt and fear. Wanda spoke a few times about not wanting to anger him.

Hm, I must've forgotten about those lines of not wanting to anger him then...

And Wanda in that era had flashes of her attitude she would get later, but was way more passive then.
    Oh she was definitely passive, only joined the Avengers 'cause Pietro suggested it, even going as far as saying more than once "I'll do what you say brother".

Then again, silver age women were like that, it doesn't help so many were written by Lee/Kirby, who made a lot of 'em interchangeable personality-wise.

I'll always find it funny that Wanda and Pietro claim they don't want to fight anymore, and leave the brotherhood in X-Men#11, then in Avengers#16, released a week later, they join the Avengers, guess a week of pacifism got 'em bored .
    They did the same with Simon Williams with pacifism. Although imo they handled his a little more carefully. I guess it just can't last in superhero comics.