Page 73 of 456 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 6836
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Oh I am sure she will exist, her popularity made sure of that.
    I am just not sure about the Wanda I love will still live on.
    And like Gurkle said, Wanda is one unique case of character where the impossible and illogical happen, and it's often not for the better.
    I am probably clouded by WandaVision's success and my own "prophet moment" so it hurts more when I realize I delude myself into thinking those creators actually care.(Well, Schaeffer and WV team probably do, but not all of them, not enough to meaningfully ensure her future.)

The best reaction I can hope for MoM is simple disappointment, because the premise is already a lose-lose situation for me anyway.

And CJ, thanks for staying strong and positive all this time, it's incredibly selfish sentiment of mine, but I kinda just want it all to end really.
    I am happy and glad they helped you out, I think we all need to focus and stay on reality in what we are given and support each other.

Wanda is gonna be absolutely fine, this movie and this trailer has given me nothing to think of that otherwise, in the recent events in the Comics has his back that up as well.

Until such other, not Leaks at all, our Wanda is gonna be OK and stronger!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

You explain it well.
    Movies and their trailers pitch things to more than one audience. Of course we'll always have some audience of haters who will feel this is justice served.
    But I believe you, I can't see this movie destroying her or her rep. Looks like a mad ride, and Marvel does a lot of bait and switch, that still fools some.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    From what you previously said, how Marvel treats their characters (misogynistic tropes), they don't merit them getting any money, time, effort, or support just to push these tropes and stereotypes in their publications/media for people to consume. Maybe there are other companies with writers who respect their characters more that could use more people to back them.

I don't think it's cowardly. I think it's taking a stand against Marvel. And people can continue to criticize Marvel and not buy any movie tickets or comics. So it doesn't mean that you can't speak up agains them.

They just want to sell movie tickets and merchandise. There usually is a lot more cross marketing. It doesn't make any sense that she has gotten almost nothing because they're losing money. She isn't completely absent, but she isn't at Spider-Man, Iron Man, Deadpool level yet. She should get her own video game, or at least there should be a magic user video game.
    I was talking about speaking up against it. I was never saying don't speak against it....
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Mostly when I see positive takes on spoilers:
    Wanda killing people it's arguing that the Illuminati deserves it.
    end of spoilers

I mean, a lot of the shots and acting from Elizabeth Olsen shoots towards a sympathetic portrayal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLiVLI-V...jpg&name=large
    Well the Illuminati does deserve it. But, the important thing will be how Wanda will be framed. If she's still framed in story as wrong, it won't matter if they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It's not the "new" her. Those stories are over 10 years old, people just refuse to get over them and expect Marvel to abandon them completely when they are some of Wanda's most popular stories.
    Those two things counter each other. If people refused to get over them, they wouldn't want them abandoned. Some people want it shown repeatedly because they want to see Wanda as being the most powerful. It's more of a battle board thing than anything else. My fave beats everyone else. Those types don't care how she's portrayed as long as she's that bad b.

Some people want them to move on (like me) and evolve the character and stop being stuck on a sexist story from the 2000s. Because a. it was trash, and b. you can't keep telling the same story over and over.

As far as popular. That's hard to gauge. We see it mentioned a lot, but all of her comics (everything) has gone back to print. So everything with her just sells. And it's arguable at best because she's not really in those stories. AD isn't as popular as HoM and usually it's because HoM has mutants in it.

Amazing Member

I actually hope this movie bomb, at least Marvel Studios gets a lesson this way. But again, what is one character's integrity, another's lore, etc compared to all those fan service.(Well, fan service to everyone but the main characters.)

As for Waldron, Loki is meh, mainly because the TVA setting is lame IMO. Again, probably a writer who overrate his own stuff.
    I'm doubtful, I think the trailer was been generally well received. Yeah I think it's best to wait for the movie to come out since even with the leaks there's no full picture. Prepare for the worst hope for the best and all that.

Yeah I have no idea about Waldron, he seems to be getting a lot of marvel projects lately, I do like Raimi generally though.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The MCU made her popular and the MCU version of the character clearly takes inspiration from AD/HoM whether you like it or not. I don't begrudge you not liking those stories, that's your prerogative. I also don't see how the MCU version of the character has been written in a misogynistic way. YMMV on that, clearly, but I don't think a character who's lived a trauma conga line of a life losing control after having her children disappeared is misogynistic. It sounds like a completely understandable response for a parent to have, especially one like Wanda who has already lost the rest of her family.
    The MCU version is kind of teetering. Like they seem to be going towards the women can't control their powers type trope. Which has been historically sexist. Because it doesn't seem to have men go crazy with a lot of power in the same way. But it 1ups comics in the way that it gives her actual narrative and lines. She's present, and awake. But that's a low bar. Low, low bar.

Disney+ has suffered an issue of making a lot of women evil that weren't in the source material for whatever reason as well. But the MCU is not perfect at all. Up until recently it had a difficult issue with women even interacting with each other. And it's still rare. They fought tooth and nail to not have a female led solo too.

I actually hope this movie bomb, at least Marvel Studios gets a lesson this way. But again, what is one character's integrity, another's lore, etc compared to all those fan service.(Well, fan service to everyone but the main characters.)

As for Waldron, Loki is meh, mainly because the TVA setting is lame IMO. Again, probably a writer who overrate his own stuff.
    I might not flop in the box office but the critics and fan reaction could bomb the movie with the bad reviews if they dont like it, the movie really looks all over the place

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    I might not flop in the box office but the critics and fan reaction could bomb the movie with the bad reviews if they dont like it, the movie really looks all over the place
    The next best thing to the movie not character assassinating Wanda would be for critics to notice the character assassination of Wanda and call it out.

Schaeffer even gave them the line by complaining about stories where powerful women can't handle their power and go crazy, but it's hard to say if critics would notice.

It's hard to tell right now of course because even with the second trailer, most people who haven't read the leaks aren't expecting what happens in them. But if the movie is really like that then I at least want Wanda to finally get the backlash any other female character gets for stories far less sexist than this.

They following what they did with daenerys in game of thrones, looking at the trailer and leaks

I dont remember the show getting backlash for daenerys acting like that and being killed, or maybe im wrong i just remember that everyone hated the final but i dont know if it was for that (never really saw the show)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    They following what they did with daenerys in game of thrones, looking at the trailer and leaks

I dont remember the show getting backlash for daenerys acting like that and being killed, or maybe im wrong i just remember that everyone hated the final but i dont know if it was for that (never really saw the show)
    That was the main reason people hated the final season. Though honestly if they said "evil magic corrupted her", they might have been kinder.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, it was very much hated in Game of Thrones.

One of the more reputable leakers, "ViewerAnon," was asked whether the leaks sound bad to him, and he said it's all about the execution; the reason he didn't like Daenerys going mad with power was that there was no buildup and it happened out of nowhere.

This after he spent months pushing these leaks where the corruption happens entirely offscreen. And in a family entertainment franchise not a gritty show for adults.

This is, if there's not more to it, way worse than Game of Thrones. But I think people just assume it's Wanda, she's "crazy in the comics" so they don't notice how bad it is. Maybe the movie will be better than that, but if not, I at least want to see people get mad and not defend her for what writers make her do.

I think "the corruption happened off-screen" is different than "the corruption came out of nowhere".

Extraordinary Member

Not really. I mean the excuses for the corruption, according to the leaks, make no sense (since it wasn't foreshadowed and Agatha had the book for centuries without going crazy). But even if they make sense, it's a cheat to have a character go crazy offscreen instead of actually showing how it happened.

It's the same cheat as in "Avengers Disassembled." There's no story of how Wanda went mad, which might be a good tragic story. She just went crazy off-panel and nobody noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Not really. I mean the excuses for the corruption, according to the leaks, make no sense (since it wasn't foreshadowed and Agatha had the book for centuries without going crazy). But even if they make sense, it's a cheat to have a character go crazy offscreen instead of actually showing how it happened.

It's the same cheat as in "Avengers Disassembled." There's no story of how Wanda went mad, which might be a good tragic story. She just went crazy off-panel and nobody noticed.
    I think they're going with the idea that Agatha was corrupted too, since she had the black fingers and dark make-up Wanda has in MOM.