Page 282 of 456 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332382 ... LastLast
Results 4,216 to 4,230 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They did the same with Simon Williams with pacifism. Although imo they handled his a little more carefully. I guess it just can't last in superhero comics.
    Well, it's hard to keep a hero relevant if they're not fighting, specially since back then the stories were more about the action than anything.

The "we don't want to fight anymore" was likely just an excuse for them to not join the X-Men, which works well enough given the situation, but them joining Avengers a week later, yeah... At the very least, Avengers#16 does mention that they don't want to be treated like they're different:

So that works well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    She didn't shrug off the mud, she quite clearly was stopped by it and then only managed to move afterwards because Loki started to attack Dormammu:

(Avengers#118)

I read Avengers/Defenders war just a few days ago so it's fresh on my mind lol.
    But if you look at the one scene, Wanda was totally covered in mud. Then in her next scene, Wanda was only half-covered. So obviously, Wanda shrugged some of it off, otherwise she would have been totally immobile, just like the rest of the Avengers. That was the purpose of the mud. However, was certainly props to Wanda even back at that point. And as the text states, she was weakened and unsure, yet she saved the day by lifting her unliftable arms and casting that hex!

I was going from memory from years past having read this, and I did well.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Stories like that are why Busiek's retcon of Wanda's powers -- that she was using magic all along and didn't know it -- worked so well. She's constantly doing stuff, without even knowing how, that puts her in a league with magical heavy hitters, even though at that time her powers were not supposed to be magic.

"WandaVision" of course ended up using that same idea, even having Agatha Harkness be the one to explain it to her.

Of course Steve Englehart was doing a slow-burn story about Wanda learning she was more powerful than she thought, so here and again in her first lesson with Agatha Harkness, she's able to cast multiple hexes in rapid succession even though she thinks it should be impossible. Even though Englehart didn't intend it that way, the idea that she had magic power all along and just needed to tap more deeply into it fits very well with that story.
    Last edited by gurkle; 05-24-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    But if you look at the one scene, Wanda was totally covered in mud. Then in her next scene, Wanda was only half-covered. So obviously, Wanda shrugged some of it off, otherwise she would have been totally immobile, just like the rest of the Avengers. That was the purpose of the mud. However, was certainly props to Wanda even back at that point. And as the text states, she was weakened and unsure, yet she saved the day by lifting her unliftable arms and casting that hex!

I was going from memory from years past having read this, and I did well.
    Ah, thought you meant "shrugged off" as in "She wasn't affected/ignored it" lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I thought Wanda exceptionally brave going up against Dormammu by herself back then.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Are You talking about These Froggyisnewtocomics?

YESSSS which one do you guys like the best??? I personally love the 60s wimple reference

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    YESSSS which one do you guys like the best??? I personally love the 60s wimple reference
    I like the one they went with but I'm happy for the Kirby style reference at the very least.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I like the one they went with but I'm happy for the Kirby style reference at the very least.
    Glad I Got it Right Froggyisnewtocomics, Indeed I Agree with the Both of You, the Classic 1st Intro costume Headdress to Wanda Kirby Era Wimp is My Favorite.

It is honeslty Very Nicely Done, which would be a Very Nice Easter Egg/Love Letter to Longtime Fans geeking out about the Wimp being her Original Look.

It could be a form if used in the Future like a New level Power Up and Skill, If WandVision Crown was her Going Super Saiyan 1, the Wimp would Indeed be Wanda's Gohan Super Sayain 2 Moment(I am Such an Anime Geek)!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I have the feeling that would be one of those things that would look goofy in live action though just like her original costume.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Stories like that are why Busiek's retcon of Wanda's powers -- that she was using magic all along and didn't know it -- worked so well. She's constantly doing stuff, without even knowing how, that puts her in a league with magical heavy hitters, even though at that time her powers were not supposed to be magic.
    Well said, when Wanda had just her hex power or started to get into magic by Agatha, she was keeping up with an thousands years old Asgardian sorceress like the Enchantress.

I remember the AXIS event having Wanda and Amora in their covers, i was expecting a new confrontation between the two, i think they haven't fought or interacted in almost two decades lol

I think the last time Wanda faced Enchantress was in Wonder Man (1991) #2

Wanda broke Amora's spell on Simon.

I wish we could have Wanda facing old foes like Enchantress and Morgan Le Fay again.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I have the feeling that would be one of those things that would look goofy in live action though just like her original costume.
    Oh absolutely. Just like her classic would as well. But they did that in a way that was really fun to bring it in as an easter egg. So I'd never mind them doing something like that with the Kirby look. Maybe by having the energy from her powers create what looks like an aura in wimple form or something near her face. Just some split second reference.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    I think the last time Wanda faced Enchantress was in Wonder Man (1991) #2

Wanda broke Amora's spell on Simon.

As late as the early '90s they still had to give some semi-scientific "probability" explanation for what Wanda was doing, because they couldn't just say she was using magic.

That's not really a bad thing, though, now that I think of it. At least they have to explain exactly how she broke the spell. A weakness of the Robinson run is she would just happen to have a spell handy for any situation.

I guess if I were a writer (not that any writers are writing her these days) I'd keep the magic but also keep the fake-scientific explanations of how her magic works.

Extraordinary Member

That's kinda the problem with writing more traditional mage in a soft magic system I guess.
    With Stephen, at least he has a decades of comic appearances to familiarize the audience with his classic spell set-up(which again doesn't actually prevent him from having asspulls.)
    Putting an energy/spell slot/mana kind of limitation on those kind of characters are the most reasonable way to balance them I think.
    Pre-90s Wanda are kinda like spell-slot mage who kinda tires out after using her power for too long, Post-90s she is more like manabar mage with decent recovery, but she cannot pull off big feats without buffing herself with some energy source first.
    Busiek is kinda right in merging Probability Manipulation and Reality Warping as the same thing, I mean "turn of events" are kinda part of the very reality.

Current comic Wanda essentially has a more permanent buff with Darkhold/Chthon, which opens up more interesting potential I guess.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    i think they should embrace their comic book roots more, there's nothing wrong with that if it's done right (just like dc), mcu costume are always overdesigned, they try so hard to be realistic