Page 445 of 456 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449455 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,675 of 6836
    Extraordinary Member

Well, that's nice to hear, certainly an improvement, though I hope the next time Wanda shows up in an adaption she can shed the trope altogether.
    But one step at a time I guess.

Can you do hang outs with Wanda? As in, lounge around the pool with her in a swimsuit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can you do hang outs with Wanda? As in, lounge around the pool with her in a swimsuit ?
    Haha I like your honesty

Can't answer it myself though. I have the game installed currently but I haven't started yet. Im currently fully invested in Warzone 2.0 since I haven't played a shooter in a long time and I have so much fun playing it. I think I will wait until some of the technical problems like the crashes have been fixed. The devs already said they are working on it.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Like I told Russell on Twitter this Cover was going to make a lot of Wanda & Lorna fans Very Happy & it has. While I say how amazing many artists are, Russell is on a whole other level, no understating. =O

His level of detail & the team they got to do this inking I have to put it on George Perez & his teams’ levels of good. Honestly, I am Amazed, we are really Blessed as Wanda Fans to have such a talent doing such covers, this is Heavenly & we should take a step back and truly appreciate what we are getting here for our Wanda!!

I also Love Wanda’s Pose so Much in this, Russell truly gets our favorite lady!
    That is a really great looking cover!
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Extraordinary Member

I shouldn't say anything but this has been worrying me for a while, so I might as well get it off my chest:

I hope the comic's editors/creators are able to honor Wanda and Pietro's Roma heritage without catering to the fans online who consider the MCU version a whitewashed Nazi. What worries me, seeing people on Twitter and Tumblr post panels from the comic to say that the MCU version is whitewashed, is that the whitewashing controversy will explode into the mainstream, which I've been worrying all the way back to this 2013 article in The Atlantic.

Back then I worried that the controversy would cause the MCU version to be dropped, obviously the fact that Pietro lasted only one movie was not because of that, but it just shows how easy it would have been for Wanda to be dropped from the MCU as well. (Obviously if the controversy had broken through, she would not have been recast, just fired.) I don't think that's likely to happen now. Now I'm worried that the whitewashing controversy will affect the comic by creating an online tug-of-war over whether MCU fans are welcome reading about the comic versions. I got very nervous when the artist who drew her to look like Elizabeth Olsen in "Trial of Magneto" was attacked online. Once you accept the premise that they're whitewashed in the MCU -- and that it doesn't matter that they were mostly portrayed as Roma by adoption before that -- it can easily turn into that binary thing where MCU fans aren't welcome.

Even as I write this I realize I am helping to create the thing I claim I don't want to see. Because of course nothing has changed about them except that they're being drawn in a way that is more reflective of their comics origins. And tracing the actor's face is not a good thing. But I guess my worst fears about Wanda came true this year and I really hope next year isn't the year when the controversy hurts her attempt to re-establish herself in comics.

I think it's stupid of me to get nervous over this and maybe a little racist of me to worry because of the way they're being colored. I think I don't have a problem with the coloring, just my fear that Marvel might be taking too many cues from Twitter/Tumblr, but let's face it, the fact that I think I'm not being racist doesn't mean I'm not. So I have to think about why I'm worried when no one else is, and why I'm more bothered by a few loudmouths on social media instead of the people who identify with Wanda as a Roma character and want better representation.

Hopefully the people who really hate the MCU version are a loud minority and the comic will unite all the many different fans of the character.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone; I think this is the most potentially offensive post I've ever made, and if it gets removed that's fine.

I hope 2022 is the last bad year for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I shouldn't say anything but this has been worrying me for a while, so I might as well get it off my chest:

I hope the comic's editors/creators are able to honor Wanda and Pietro's Roma heritage without catering to the fans online who consider the MCU version a whitewashed Nazi. What worries me, seeing people on Twitter and Tumblr post panels from the comic to say that the MCU version is whitewashed, is that the whitewashing controversy will explode into the mainstream, which I've been worrying all the way back to this 2013 article in The Atlantic.

Back then I worried that the controversy would cause the MCU version to be dropped, obviously the fact that Pietro lasted only one movie was not because of that, but it just shows how easy it would have been for Wanda to be dropped from the MCU as well. (Obviously if the controversy had broken through, she would not have been recast, just fired.) I don't think that's likely to happen now. Now I'm worried that the whitewashing controversy will affect the comic by creating an online tug-of-war over whether MCU fans are welcome reading about the comic versions. I got very nervous when the artist who drew her to look like Elizabeth Olsen in "Trial of Magneto" was attacked online. Once you accept the premise that they're whitewashed in the MCU -- and that it doesn't matter that they were mostly portrayed as Roma by adoption before that -- it can easily turn into that binary thing where MCU fans aren't welcome.

Even as I write this I realize I am helping to create the thing I claim I don't want to see. Because of course nothing has changed about them except that they're being drawn in a way that is more reflective of their comics origins. And tracing the actor's face is not a good thing. But I guess my worst fears about Wanda came true this year and I really hope next year isn't the year when the controversy hurts her attempt to re-establish herself in comics.

I think it's stupid of me to get nervous over this and maybe a little racist of me to worry because of the way they're being colored. I think I don't have a problem with the coloring, just my fear that Marvel might be taking too many cues from Twitter/Tumblr, but let's face it, the fact that I think I'm not being racist doesn't mean I'm not. So I have to think about why I'm worried when no one else is, and why I'm more bothered by a few loudmouths on social media instead of the people who identify with Wanda as a Roma character and want better representation.

Hopefully the people who really hate the MCU version are a loud minority and the comic will unite all the many different fans of the character.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone; I think this is the most potentially offensive post I've ever made, and if it gets removed that's fine.

They started acknowledging Wanda's Roma heritage long before the MCU and while not perfect, they should not hold back because of fans online.

I don't think the MCU whitewashing has hurt the character. There sadly aren't enough people pushing for Romani representation in Hollywood anyway and that should not be really seen as a negative. The character isn't gonna be cancelled. Very few things actually get cancelled.

I personally wish they'd for once cast Romani actors to play Romani characters. But I'm not really surprised it doesn't ever happen. People have very little understanding of Romani people. I just keep hoping it happens someday.

As far as MCU fans. I think there are still a lot of them that accept Wanda's heritage and the ones that are obsessed with her being white and saying racist things on Twitter are few, and usually trolling. I think a majority of people that like Liz have said Marvel made a mistake in their casting, even though they love Liz in the role. I don't think they'll feel put out over reading her solo. And if people are so offended by Wanda being Roma that they don't read her solo, then that's on them.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-04-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They started acknowledging Wanda's Roma heritage long before the MCU and while not perfect, they should not hold back because of fans online.

I don't think the MCU whitewashing has hurt the character. There sadly aren't enough people pushing for Romani representation in Hollywood anyway and that should not be really seen as a negative. The character isn't gonna be cancelled. Very few things actually get cancelled.

I personally wish they'd for once cast Romani actors to play Romani characters. But I'm not really surprised it doesn't ever happen. People have very little understanding of Romani people. I just keep hoping it happens someday.

As far as MCU fans. I think there are still a lot of them that accept Wanda's heritage and the ones that are obsessed with her being white and saying racist things on Twitter are few, and usually trolling. I think a majority of people that like Liz have said Marvel made a mistake in their casting, even though they love Liz in the role. I don't think they'll feel put out over reading her solo. And if people are so offended by Wanda being Roma that they don't read her solo, then that's on them.
    All very true. It's why my post was so counter-productive. Her first comic in years and I'm almost trying to ruin it for myself and maybe for others.

Anyway hopefully that will be the last thing I say about it.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

I think MCU Wanda is safe because she is that popular, and honestly, it's unlikely all media will suddenly portray Wanda the same. She looks very white-passing in the Midnight Suns game, for example, which just goes to show that there isn't a consistent effort for her to look a single way across all Marvel media. If MCU Wanda was the only Wanda to look different, then I certainly could see how that would be a bad look. But Wanda's situation is more unique, I think. It would be different if it was a character like Storm suddenly looking like a white woman in an adaptation; people would be instantly turned off by that because most people have the same idea about how a character like Storm should look like. But for people who grew up with the Scarlet Witch on comics, games, animations and, of course, now the MCU... the idea of her having lighter skin doesn't feel as out of place because it HAS been a part of her history. That doesn't make the MCU whitewashing ok, but I think it puts things into a different perspective.

If anything, I think this will be a bigger problem for the comics themselves, because the current book is setting a standard that I'm not sure other books will follow, and THAT is something that will easily lead to fan complaint. People know that MCU Wanda can't simply change overnight now that she's already cast and stayed on for so long, but comics can be edited and recolored, and I think this will definitely cause a lot more fan entitlement over how Wanda should look in the future. I'm already seeing it happening for her solo book: some fans disliked the way she looked on some variant covers, like David Nakayama's. I definitely foresee more of this happening every time a new official comics Wanda art comes out now.

What's more annoying about this situation is that you can clearly see that a lot of those "comicstans" on twitter only became Wanda fans because of the whole whitewashing controversy. Back when it wasn't more known, when MCU Wanda wasn't as popular and/or didn't have as big of a presence, they didn't care. In fact I know some of them who just straight up hated Wanda because of M-Day or whatever bullshit. Most of them didn't even know anything about romani people before they read a thread on twitter or whatever.

They hate MCU Wanda first and love comics Wanda second. And they have all created this sort of toxic bubble where anyone who doesn't hate "Wendy" isn't a true Wanda fan because how would you unless you're an evil racist pos. They see Wanda being drawn with a darker skintone or more ethnic features and the first thing they think is "Look at that you racist Olsen stans!!!!!". Every time. When her solo book was announced they were talking about how MCU Wanda didn't get a movie/show announced. It has created a rift between her comics fandom and live-action fandom that is probably bigger than any other comic character. It has become more of a rivalry where each side wants to dunk on each other than any proper care for representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    What's more annoying about this situation is that you can clearly see that a lot of those "comicstans" on twitter only became Wanda fans because of the whole whitewashing controversy. Back when it wasn't more known, when MCU Wanda wasn't as popular and/or didn't have as big of a presence, they didn't care. In fact I know some of them who just straight up hated Wanda because of M-Day or whatever bullshit. Most of them didn't even know anything about romani people before they read a thread on twitter or whatever.

They hate MCU Wanda first and love comics Wanda second. And they have all created this sort of toxic bubble where anyone who doesn't hate "Wendy" isn't a true Wanda fan because how would you unless you're an evil racist pos. They see Wanda being drawn with a darker skintone or more ethnic features and the first thing they think is "Look at that you racist Olsen stans!!!!!". Every time. When her solo book was announced they were talking about how MCU Wanda didn't get a movie/show announced. It has created a rift between her comics fandom and live-action fandom that is probably bigger than any other comic character. It has become more of a rivalry where each side wants to dunk on each other than any proper care for representation.
    I lot of this stuff is very restricted to parts of social media with both sides anatognizing each other. There's a very racist anti-semitic twitter making the rounds posing as a Liz fan to try to make the wedge bigger. But I don't see that sort of thing happening outside of social media. And even in it, people acknowledge that they could have cast her better, but also just enjoy the MCU. And I think it's worth saying that people can enjoy something and still see the problems with it too. Most seem to have that proper care for representation but know that they can't do anything about the casting.

Twitter is one of the least used forms of social media too. So the in-fighting among fans is likely in the minority. Most people aren't going around like the racist Twitter page, nor the people that call people racist for liking the MCU.

I think Wanda's solo will be fine. And the character is in the best spot she's been in a long time. Almost two decades now. She's been in more media, merchandise and has her third solo going. There's still stuff of her that sells out. It should be time to rejoice for that.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-04-2022 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    If anything, I think this will be a bigger problem for the comics themselves, because the current book is setting a standard that I'm not sure other books will follow, and THAT is something that will easily lead to fan complaint. People know that MCU Wanda can't simply change overnight now that she's already cast and stayed on for so long, but comics can be edited and recolored, and I think this will definitely cause a lot more fan entitlement over how Wanda should look in the future. I'm already seeing it happening for her solo book: some fans disliked the way she looked on some variant covers, like David Nakayama's. I definitely foresee more of this happening every time a new official comics Wanda art comes out now.
    I really don't think making her a darker tone is the problem here. It's really on Marvel to make that more consistent. I know they won't because they need to push things out at a high volume. But with there being thousands of pale characters and only three Romani who all at times have been drawn pale, I can see where some people would want some darker representation. Because while there are white look Romani, there are tons who are darker skin too.

Maybe it could be solved if they created newer Romani heroes that have darker skintone from the start and don't have years of reference of them making them white. It'd at least reflect Romani people better.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-04-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I lot of this stuff is very restricted to parts of social media with both sides anatognizing each other. There's a very racist anti-semitic twitter making the rounds posing as a Liz fan to try to make the wedge bigger. But I don't see that sort of thing happening outside of social media. And even in it, people acknowledge that they could have cast her better, but also just enjoy the MCU. And I think it's worth saying that people can enjoy something and still see the problems with it too. Most seem to have that proper care for representation but know that they can't do anything about the casting.

Twitter is one of the least used forms of social media too. So the in-fighting among fans is likely in the minority. Most people aren't going around like the racist Twitter page, nor the people that call people racist for liking the MCU.

I think Wanda's solo will be fine. And the character is in the best spot she's been in a long time. Almost two decades now. She's been in more media, merchandise and has her third solo going. There's still stuff of her that sells out. It should be time to rejoice for that.
    Exactly this, there are people who said that MCU Wanda fans should not buy or read Wanda's new solo series because of the casting controversy.

There are MCU fans who are getting into comic Wanda but this just would make everyone go away, hurting her book sales, but it still is just a minority on comic twitter, Wanda still a very popular character by locals and her fans due to the MCU.
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 12-04-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Exactly this, there are people who said that MCU Wanda fans should not buy or read Wanda's new solo series because of the casting controversy.

There are MCU fans who are getting into comic Wanda but this just would make everyone go away, hurting her book sales, but it'a just a minority on twitter, Wanda still a very popular character by locals and her fans due to the MCU.
    I think honestly people on Twitter and not even just in the comics or movies sphere are just on there to make others' existance miserable. They seem to live for drama, live for negativity. I've seen it with tv fandoms, music fandoms, everything. The internet has been both the best and worst thing at times.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think her skin tone is very well done, it gives her a unique look imo part of the reason some X-women are so well known or catched on with the fans was because they had unique characteristics that you could indentify them by: Storm with her white hair, Rogue with her white stripe and brown hair, Psylocke with her buttefly, Emma and her diamons, Jean and the Phoenix, etc , so Wanda with her red tiara and her colors is easier to recognize and hence to identify and relate to, given she and Pietro were supposed to be of Romani all along since their first origin story was told itīs nice to see her backstory being reinforced by her appareance. I also agree with Genericusername that most if not all of the fans who complain about Elizabeth not being romani donīt really know much about the character or her current story and I donīt think they really care, sometimes it looks like they just want to get points by criticizing others for liking the movies. Thatīs my oppinion.

Even Magneto sometimes is despicted with a slighty darker tone despite the fact heīs an Azkerazy Jew born in Germany/Poland previously, heīs drawn that way when marvel wants to tell a tale that involves his past or his family, letting the reader know about his background.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-04-2022 at 11:56 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I'm a Wanda fan just like all of you are but I have never seen the stuff you are talking about. Search for Scarlet Witch on YouTube for example. You will find many videos with several hundred thousands and millions of views. In the comments you will see nothing but love. I follow 3 different communities on Reddit that revolve around Wanda. In none of them happen the things you say.

I never thought I would have to touch a topic like this in here but this is exactly how radicalization works. A group of people spew their nonsense and propaganda through channels that actually let them do so and some people are susceptible to it and join this group. As sad and brutal as it sounds but it doesn't matter if we are talking about toxic Wanda fans, the KKK, Neo Nazis or any other kind of sect or fascist, racist, sexist or terrorist group. All of them work the same way. In their bubble and their sanctuary they act like kings shutting down all other view points but in the end these people have no say or power because as soon as they leave their bubble they get steamrolled and drowned by the masses. They are isolated and can only survive among themselves. Always remember this and don't think even for a second that these kind of groups are more than what they are. Instead spend time with things and people you enjoy. Time is valuable and it's the one resource no human can get back. Don't waste it.
    "This is me being reasonable"