Page 101 of 456 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    And the fact that neither Fassbender or Ian McKellen are jewish and both have played Magneto, MCU Moonknight doesn't have a jewish actor either and just now i'm starting to see some backlash.
    It is selective among the fanbase as to what gets that kind of attention. I think it entirely depends on how much they know or care about that character. As well as other factors.

I personally hope to eventually have some mainstream Romani rep that isn't drowned in stereotypes. Unfortunately (even in the modern day) that's a long shot.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Some Twitter folks have constantly harangued Emma Dumont that she isn’t a Jew and only Jews should be able to play Jews since the idiotic idea got started something like 2-3 years ago. Should Catholics be allowed to act as Protestants and vice versa? Stupid ideas should not be given the time of day.

I don't care much for most Twitter Folks, they made the Toxic Bed they sleep in and that is their faults.

BUT, That Cosplay Image is So SWEET Jmc247, I enjoy the Comic Comparison!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post

BUT, That Cosplay Image is So SWEET Jmc247, I enjoy the Comic Comparison!
    The Wanda was Emma Dumont’s costume designer on The Gifted set. She designed the Polaris headgear used on the show and made a Wanda one as well for herself as she is a fan.

Her costume designer looks a little like Carrie Fisher.

The Wanda was Emma Dumont’s costume designer on The Gifted set. She designed the Polaris headgear used on the show and made a Wanda one as well for herself as she is a fan.

...That's cute but I'll be honest, Lorna's headpiece was laame lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    ...That's cute but I'll be honest, Lorna's headpiece was laame lol.
    Agreed it could have been a lot better. The production people went though a number of better designs. Somehow though a process of elimination they ended up with one of the weaker of the designs.

Should Catholics be allowed to act as Protestants and vice versa? Stupid ideas should not be given the time of day.
    The argument would be premised in ethnicity, not religion.

There's a case to be made for casting a Jewish actor for Magneto because of his Holocaust background. But, in general, (Ashkenazi) Jewish people are hardly underrepresented in American media. It's quite different for Roma, who have very few positive media depictions. Romani actors are also less likely to be white-passing and thus more likely to have fewer opportunities than due to fewer POC roles in general (though that's clearly changing).

As for why the conversation tends to be centered on Wanda rather than Pietro, I'd say it's a combination of Wanda being a bigger character, misogyny towards the actress, and fetishisation of women if colour.
    Last edited by Saffron; 02-25-2022 at 12:08 AM.

It's definitely not a 1 for 1 comparison between Roma and Catholics or Protestants. Or even Protestants, Catholics and Jewish people. Because stereotypes are so powerful and people who do not come from that people group have zero understanding of the differences between accuracies and stereotypes and often help give them more power by unknowingly perpetuating them. And especially for Roma who are not an ethnicity of white people, but Southeast Asian people, white people should never play them. Period. I don't care how many white look Romani someone has seen. Most Romani still do not look white, none are white and overwhelmingly Romani do not benefit from being treated the same as white people. It's still legal in some parts of the world to murder Romani people. And harsh discrimination is still rampant. Actual representation is still needed and not achieved in the slightest.

fan art by marveldsing

Extraordinary Member

I like blood as a form of aesthetics(Also Chthon is more or less associated with blood I think), just not what it implies for Wanda's character development.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Her costume designer looks a little like Carrie Fisher.
    Good call out
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post

fan art by marveldsing
    This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    The argument would be premised in ethnicity, not religion.

There's a case to be made for casting a Jewish actor for Magneto because of his Holocaust background. But, in general, (Ashkenazi) Jewish people are hardly underrepresented in American media. It's quite different for Roma, who have very few positive media depictions. Romani actors are also less likely to be white-passing and thus more likely to have fewer opportunities than due to fewer POC roles in general (though that's clearly changing).

As for why the conversation tends to be centered on Wanda rather than Pietro, I'd say it's a combination of Wanda being a bigger character, misogyny towards the actress, and fetishisation of women if colour.
    Wanda and Pietro are not ethnically Jewish either according to Jewish tradition, as I pointed out earlier.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 02-25-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I like blood as a form of aesthetics(Also Chthon is more or less associated with blood I think), just not what it implies for Wanda's character development.
    Plus I think people focus so much on her tragedies that they miss the other aspects of the character. It is a major thing in her life but other things have happened, and in some cases it comes off as sort of fetishized. So I hope the MCU doesn't keep focusing on that and gives Wanda a little more variety.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Not a Rumor or Leak, But a Theory that I found pretty interesting watching.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!