Page 17 of 456 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I got the gyst of that in Avengers#10 vol 3, but thanks for answering anyways, specially interesting your explanation here is almost the same as that comic's, which you wrote 20 years ago, talk about good memory.

Also this made me realize how much Pietro is an oddball among Magneto's children, because Wanda's power was originally gonna be energy related until Chthon messed with her, then we have Lorna, who's also an energy wielder and has basically the same power as Magneto, and there's Pietro, who just runs fast lol.

Almost makes it look like he's not actually Magneto's kid, unlike the other two, which's ironic 'cause he looks a lot like Magneto .
    Ironically Pietro's powers made more sense when they were the Whizzer's kids while Wanda's didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Also this made me realize how much Pietro is an oddball among Magneto's children, because Wanda's power was originally gonna be energy related until Chthon messed with her, then we have Lorna, who's also an energy wielder and has basically the same power as Magneto, and there's Pietro, who just runs fast lol.
    It may make him a more proper mutant, since if you inherit characteristics from your parents, that's not mutation but just heredity.

That's why I wouldn't have said Wanda had power over magnetism, and Chthon changed that -- if she did, she wouldn't be a mutant.

Also why I don't think Polaris should have been Magneto's kid.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Extraordinary Member

Even when Wanda got into the MCU I wouldn't have anticipated that they would end up using (without a "special thanks" credit, sadly) the basic idea that her powers were chaos-magic all along but she never realized it until after they started to behave in unexpected ways. Even had the same character, albeit a very different take on the character, explain it.

A new picture I found
    WTvZCsNdDEnfCHmLkUfFec.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    A new picture I found
    WTvZCsNdDEnfCHmLkUfFec.jpg
    I've seen this. It's from something called Infinite Possibilities.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Ironically Pietro's powers made more sense when they were the Whizzer's kids while Wanda's didn't.
    Roy Thomas liked to link present day Marvel characters to those from the Golden Age and in this case it was the Whizzer and Ms. America (Bob and Madeline Joyce-Frank) being the parents of Pietro and Wanda. /Both their origin were of the getting super-powers by accident kind. She got her powers from a lightening strike while at her uncle's lighthouse that was converted to an lab where he was conducting some experiments. The accident put her in a coma for a week and she gained the powers of super strength and and the power of flight. As you say, none of this tracks to Wanda's powerset. But that may be where the twins birth on Wundagore Mountain (and maybe something intervention by the High Evolutionary)_ comes into play.

I expect the origin of Wanda's powers, more so that Quicksilver's, will always get tweaked by the writers and TPTB at Marvel.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Hey y’all. Not Witchy related, buttttt I’ve just received my second cover quote from Marvel, and it’s going to be on the upcoming Black Cat Infinite Score TPB.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It may make him a more proper mutant, since if you inherit characteristics from your parents, that's not mutation but just heredity.

That's why I wouldn't have said Wanda had power over magnetism, and Chthon changed that -- if she did, she wouldn't be a mutant.

kdb
    NVM. I am not going to explain anything to the Marvel continuity master.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01-09-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Roy Thomas liked to link present day Marvel characters to those from the Golden Age and in this case it was the Whizzer and Ms. America (Bob and Madeline Joyce-Frank) being the parents of Pietro and Wanda. /Both their origin were of the getting super-powers by accident kind. She got her powers from a lightening strike while at her uncle's lighthouse that was converted to an lab where he was conducting some experiments. The accident put her in a coma for a week and she gained the powers of super strength and and the power of flight. As you say, none of this tracks to Wanda's powerset. But that may be where the twins birth on Wundagore Mountain (and maybe something intervention by the High Evolutionary)_ comes into play.

I expect the origin of Wanda's powers, more so that Quicksilver's, will always get tweaked by the writers and TPTB at Marvel.
    Yeah, they love to tweak Wanda's origin and then when it comes to try and explain how that new origin works for Pietro, they basically go "Who Cares?"

Yeah, they love to tweak Wanda's origin and then when it comes to try and explain how that new origin works for Pietro, they basically go "Who Cares?"
    I agree, I just don't think it matters. They're twins, what works for one works for the other because it doesn't have a choice. Marvel has already established mutant parents can produce baseline human children (Graydon Creed), children with similar powers (Siryn), or children with totally different powers (Shatterstar). Which doesn't actually help if the twins aren't mutants themselves, contributing to the confusion. I liked the ending of Trial of Magneto and I'm glad Wanda was redeemed before mutantkind, but imo it was a missed opportunity to establish the twins' fluctuating parentage as being due to Wanda subconsciously manipulating reality according to her feelings toward her biological family at whatever time.

In my headcanon, Wanda's mutant power is the ability to channel multiversal nexus energy (which includes magical energy) to affect probability (and ultimately, reality), sharpened and expanded by the study of actual witchcraft. The parents of the twins would be Magneto and Natalya Maximoff, but they'd still have been raised by Natalya's extended family on Wundagore Mountain.
    Last edited by davetvs; 01-10-2022 at 04:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Well, it's kinda the shortcoming of being part of the "package deal" with other characters in terms of origin but went off to their own path as they develops.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I agree, I just don't think it matters. They're twins, what works for one works for the other because it doesn't have a choice. Marvel has already established mutant parents can produce baseline human children (Graydon Creed), children with similar powers (Siryn), or children with totally different powers (Shatterstar). Which doesn't actually help if the twins aren't mutants themselves, contributing to the confusion. I liked the ending of Trial of Magneto and I'm glad Wanda was redeemed before mutantkind, but imo it was a missed opportunity to establish the twins' fluctuating parentage as being due to Wanda subconsciously manipulating reality according to her feelings toward her biological family at whatever time.

In my headcanon, Wanda's mutant power is the ability to channel multiversal nexus energy (which includes magical energy) to affect probability (and ultimately, reality), sharpened and expanded by the study of actual witchcraft. The parents of the twins would be Magneto and Natalya Maximoff, but they'd still have been raised by Natalya's extended family on Wundagore Mountain.
    Well, I had a similar headcanon originated from the 90s Darkhold run, at one point it was explained Darkhold cause madness because the reader will eventually realize they are but characters in stories written by Chthon.(It is not explained if they are this way in the first place or they are claimed/owned by Chthon by reading too much Darkhold thus losing their authenticity as real people and become "stories/fictional characters".)
    This can also be combined with the origin for Earth Gods, Loki's explanation for gods' nature.(They are living stories.)
    So I think Wanda is also some sort of being of stories, who exist as an idea first and it is her nature to in a meta sense, chagne her own stories.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

Cool

Nice! (How she responded, I mean):

Also the follow-up comment of that paparazzi, I wouldn’t know how to respond to that either. That’s just... No.

I honestly expected the Whizzer parentage to return once they undid the Magneto one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    Well, at least it's not unfounded, since what we saw of mutants shows that there are, shared family traits at times, like how Rachel has the same powers as Jean, and Cyclops and his brothers share the same basic power.

I can see what you mean though, since X-Gene is genetic equivalent of throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks in most cases, and a lot of times it doesn't, and looking from an out of universe point of view, it's honestly more interesting of an idea for kids to not have the same power as the parents to make them stand out more as characters, specially if the parent is still active, and that's probably part of the reason why Lorna was the lame kid among Magneto's children for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Well as pointed out here, X-Gene can be random with how it gives powers, and at the very least, the reason Wanda's power is so different got a proper explanation that isn't just "Because X-Gene", and that explanation works well enough I guess lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Elizabeth did not win a Golden Globe last night.