Page 236 of 456 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 6836
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't you just hate it when writers use bad writing in comics to justify bad writing in movies?
    I can't decide which is a worse justification: "It was in the comics" or the more popular "she didn't go evil offscreen, it was set up in the tag scene of WandaVision."

Waldron has done both in his interviews, saying that Wanda goes nuts in the comics and that it was a logical jump from the tag scene of WandaVision to the movie.

I guess we can be thankful he didn't write a better script, so people at least notice that it doesn't make sense and he has to resort to these explanations. Wanda would be even worse off with a script that made it even halfway convincing that she'd gone evil.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I can't decide which is a worse justification: "It was in the comics" or the more popular "she didn't go evil offscreen, it was set up in the tag scene of WandaVision."

Waldron has done both in his interviews, saying that Wanda goes nuts in the comics and that it was a logical jump from the tag scene of WandaVision to the movie.

I guess we can be thankful he didn't write a better script, so people at least notice that it doesn't make sense and he has to resort to these explanations. Wanda would be even worse off with a script that made it even halfway convincing that she'd gone evil.
    I honestly don't think it helps that much, a lot of people still justify his shit writing regardless and also resort to tell people to "read comics" and "watch WV credits".
    It's rather easy to dupe people into thining you are smart and shit.(The same goes for Raimi, Marvel bad, Rami good argument is also pretty common, I would say both are guilty.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-12-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I honestly don't think it helps that much, a lot of people still justify his shit writing regardless and also resort to tell people to "read comics" and "watch WV credits".
    It's rather easy to dupe people into thining you are smart and shit.(The same goes for Raimi, Marvel bad, Rami good argument is also pretty common, I would say both are guilty.)
    I see a lot of this on Twitter and Facebook. And it's like, the movie still doesn't line up with the show even with the end credits. And wiki isn't reading comics either.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I haven't watched the movie, but I thought Wanda went after her kids because they were begging her to come save them at the end of WandaVision. So I assumed in the movie the boys would be in trouble judging from the finale of WandaVision. Or maybe the evil book she was reading was just messing with her.

I KNEW the transition from television to the movies could be problematic. I'm just saying having too many characters in any MCU project unnecessarily bloats things. As I said before, I have no idea who this America Chavez character is. I'm not even sure if she's magical. What I do know is that there's a pretty good chance she was a McGuffin in the MoM. And those can be underwhelming kind of characters. And again, the actress who plays her is SO young with SO little experience, and she's the first Latina superhero in the MCU. That's a LOT of pressure on a kid who is supposed to be a face of a big community in the MCU. Her debut should be sensitively handled. I hope viewers were accepting of her (and I feel the same way for the Echo actress as well).

I'm okay with Lizzie taking a bit of a break from the MCU. She's been in two HUGE projects in two consecutive years. Give the girl a break. I'm happy she might get a solo movie in the future, but she ALREADY got a show AND a movie to star in the past two years. Quite a few characters have been in the MCU for longer than Olsen has and they haven't got ANY vehicles to star in yet. So I'm okay with waiting. At this point, I don't care if her "stans" are upset about that. I'm still holding out hope that Feige will give Olsen a good story to work with. You could say she might have "peaked" as a character in WandaVision. It'll be hard to top that.

I will say this. I have hardly heard Benedict Cumberbatch interacting with the media all that much in the wake of Strange 2. He CLEARLY was proud of his work in the Power of the Dog and he let people know about it. But he's been pretty quiet. I think Elizabeth Olsen is getting FAR more press coverage than he is. I think that's a problem. He's been overshadowed and I wouldn't blame him if he was pissed. Personally, I think Wanda will stick around for a bit. As long as Agatha and White Vision are in the MCU, she will be too. However, judging from her latest interview in the New York Times, Olsen seemed pretty upset her Marvel contract prevented her from doing projects that were more aligned with her interests and that the Marvel movie magic is "lost on her" now. I DON'T recall Olsen talking like that after doing WandaVision. In fact, Olsen, Hahn and Bettany had nothing but good things to say about WandaVision. To me that says a lot.
    I feel that Cumberbatch and Olsen did not enjoy working on MoM. Cumberbatch wondered if his character even had an arc and he fought for Strange to have one. Olsen had no idea what the story was until datys before finishing WandaVision, and I think was not happy with Waldron's script. She was hugely positive when talking about WandaVision, she and Bettany calling it one of their best ever experiences in their careers. She and Benedict both sound a bit fed up.aside from when they are bantering with each other. She gives a terrific, passionate performance but the writing of her character is awful, like a bad fanfic. The fact it covers the same themes as WV only highlights how vastly superior and nuanced WV is.
    MoM is WV written by an edgy 12 year-old boy.

I end up wanting to dreamwalk to the universe where Derrickson made DSitMoM.

I'm hoping that solo movie let's Wanda be a hero at last, MoM should be the end of her "villain arc", time for her to truly be the Scarlet Witch.

The wait for her solo project would of course be less painful if she actually appeared in comics. I dont want to sound gloomy, but maybe that Marvel Infinite comic was what the teaser at the end of ToM was for. I am guessing the "one mini a year" rule will continue.
    Last edited by Relugus; 05-12-2022 at 07:39 PM.

Watched it again and it's still comically bad to me. I don't know. Maybe I'm just not into slasher films, but I found it way too ridiculous with how things amped up suddenly just for shock.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Michael Waldron: Yeah, we talked about House of M, and there’s plenty of examples of Wanda doing bad things throughout the comics in an effort to get her kids back. But ultimately this story didn’t need mutants to be powerful, I guess was our feeling. And, you know, wherever that lies on the timeline for the MCU, it didn’t feel like this was the right place to introduce it -- because then it suddenly would have just been about mutants. And this is really a story about Wanda and her grief and her descent into darkness in this movie.
    Well, at least he got THAT right. Trying to force a reverse ''no more mutants'' or whatever bad theory fans had in this movie was going to be nothing but awful. The movie didn't even bother to make more veiled references to the X-Men/mutants/Magneto when spoilers:
    Professor X was right there interacting with Wanda
    end of spoilers. The story was never going to be about that, and I'm thankful for it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    I feel that Cumberbatch and Olsen did not enjoy working on MoM. Cumberbatch wondered if his character even had an arc and he fought for Strange to have one. Olsen had no idea what the story was until datys before finishing WandaVision, and I think was not happy with Waldron's script. She was hugely positive when talking about WandaVision, she and Bettany calling it one of their best ever experiences in their careers. She and Benedict both sound a bit fed up.aside from when they are bantering with each other. She gives a terrific, passionate performance but the writing of her character is awful, like a bad fanfic. The fact it covers the same themes as WV only highlights how vastly superior and nuanced WV is.

I'm hoping that solo movie let's Wanda be a hero at last, MoM should be the end of her "villain arc", time for her to truly be the Scarlet Witch.

The wait for her solo project would of course be less painful if she actually appeared in comics. I dont want to sound gloomy, but maybe that Marvel Infinite comic was what the teaser at the end of ToM was for. I am guessing the "one mini a year" rule will continue.
    WV is not perfect but I do feel the care taken to polish and work out the script.(Even then Wanda gets a lot of bad faith interpretation of her actions, really, she is kinda cursed that way.)
    I honestly just hope she get 1 show and 1 movie to finish her Chthon/Darkhold/Mystical arc, and never interact with the rest of the MCU ever again.(If they still want Wanda interact with her kids in some form, let Wanda whisper in Billy's ear after she take Chthon's throne or something lol. Or let Modred be the messenger or something.)
    Before I generally don't mind if she is just used in a minor role for some cool effects and stuff, but at this point, nah, keep her from the rest, they are already kinda isolating her anyway. Might as well get some peace and quiet in her own corner.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-12-2022 at 07:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, at least he got THAT right. Trying to force a reverse ''no more mutants'' or whatever bad theory fans had in this movie was going to be nothing but awful. The movie didn't even bother to make more veiled references to the X-Men/mutants/Magneto when spoilers:
    Professor X was right there interacting with Wanda
    end of spoilers. The story was never going to be about that, and I'm thankful for it.
    At least she didn't die a bigger plot device. My spiteful self could take joy in that I guess.(The same goes for people who demand more cameos and stuff.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-12-2022 at 08:01 PM.

I'm just still laughing at the, well comics made her a plot device too stuff. lmfao! Crap is crap, no matter what you do with it.

Extraordinary Member

I can't really blame Waldron for turning Wanda bad because that was obviously a Feige fetish. What he did reveal, and what shows he wasn't ready to write a movie like this, is that during the COVID delay, he and Raimi changed the story so that it was all about Doctor Strange protecting America from Wanda, right from the beginning. Basically turning it into a slasher movie. That's a terrible idea because it makes Doctor Strange a passive reactor in what should be his own story.

Waldron has hinted that the original plan -- which may be left over from the Derrickson era -- was for Wanda to help Strange against a villain (probably Nightmare) and then slowly be corrupted by the Darkhold, and then either be the third act villain or be the Big Bad of something else. This would actually have been worse for Wanda because at least this way no one can take her villainy seriously, it's so obviously ridiculous and unjustified. But would it have been a better story to have Wanda team up with Strange at first? Of course; what kind of movie teases a team-up between their two most popular magic characters and then they never team up, and barely even fight (because they've made Wanda so strong that all anybody can do is run away)? This is just a badly-conceived story and even if Olsen and Cumberbatch claimed they were happy with it, I wouldn't believe them. Not that either of them have even tried to pretend.

Anyway, what's done is done and we'll just have to wait, again. We're used to waiting to see Wanda in something, but Feige's obsession with bad 00s comics really screwed her over. There was no reason she had to go bad at all except that Feige thinks those stories were cool and no one could talk him out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I can't really blame Waldron for turning Wanda bad because that was obviously a Feige fetish. What he did reveal, and what shows he wasn't ready to write a movie like this, is that during the COVID delay, he and Raimi changed the story so that it was all about Doctor Strange protecting America from Wanda, right from the beginning. Basically turning it into a slasher movie. That's a terrible idea because it makes Doctor Strange a passive reactor in what should be his own story.

Waldron has hinted that the original plan -- which may be left over from the Derrickson era -- was for Wanda to help Strange against a villain (probably Nightmare) and then slowly be corrupted by the Darkhold, and then either be the third act villain or be the Big Bad of something else. This would actually have been worse for Wanda because at least this way no one can take her villainy seriously, it's so obviously ridiculous and unjustified. But would it have been a better story to have Wanda team up with Strange at first? Of course; what kind of movie teases a team-up between their two most popular magic characters and then they never team up, and barely even fight (because they've made Wanda so strong that all anybody can do is run away)? This is just a badly-conceived story and even if Olsen and Cumberbatch claimed they were happy with it, I wouldn't believe them. Not that either of them have even tried to pretend.

Anyway, what's done is done and we'll just have to wait, again. We're used to waiting to see Wanda in something, but Feige's obsession with bad 00s comics really screwed her over. There was no reason she had to go bad at all except that Feige thinks those stories were cool and no one could talk him out of it.
    I don't know if it was really a Feige fetish. He said before he liked Wanda and had read bronze age comics. I just think in their minds and as far as they knew they were following comics. Unfortunately it's a completely out context impression of them, cherry picked of the worst comics.

It's hard to know how Waldron is normally. Because he's written one episode of Rick and Morty and then Loki and Strange 2. And all his Marvel stuff has women being villains. And he just doesn't have the sample size to know if that's a thing with him, or just what Marvel tells him to do.

Either way, no matter who is at fault, it's garbage. And I hope this is the last of them dry-humping AD/HoM.

I can't really PROVE that Cumberbatch and Olsen are unhappy with the final product. Maybe it's because I haven't been following the MCU for practically all of this year, so I'm missing some information. So I could be totally off base with my opinions. I don't understand why Benedict isn't giving in-depth interviews to publications like the New York Times and the Washington Post. The MoM is probably the biggest "hit" of his career. So I figure he would. Olsen clearly states that she is grateful for the job security the MCU gives to her, but I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when she stated that she was "frustrated" by the contractual shackles Disney put on her. She didn't say that last year when WandaVision came out. I assume the contractual shackles were there in 2021 as well as now. Strange 2 could be the biggest movie she'll ever headline. I just think it's so odd. No question the MoM is a VERY successful film for Disney. It makes me sad that they don't SEEM to be too satisfied with what happened. I recall even WandaVision "side" characters Teyonah Parris, Randall Park and Kat Dennings being thrilled to be involved in that show. I'm not really hearing a whole lot from the main cast of the MoM right now.

I liked all the Disney Plus Marvel shows to varying degrees, and I feel I was a bit harsh on Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye. Looking back, I thought Schaeffer did a pretty good job with the material she was given. Spellman, Waldron and Igla did the best they could with what they were given too. I think there's a lot of studio interference going on to be honest. And I think it's pathetic that Schaeffer took heat for not reading the comic books. I feel the only requirement for writers in the MCU is to watch the movies and shows. I just think it's gonna be harder for them to do that because Disney is pumping out so many Marvel films and shows right now. I'm more of a casual audience member, and I'm starting to get really exhausted following everything. I think the actors/actresses, directors, writers and producers are feeling the same way too. I really hope Marvel Studios slows down a bit. To me, it sort of doesn't matter that television ratings and box office sales are stellar. Prioritizing quantity over quality will just cause problems down the line. That's inevitable. I REALLY want the MCU to succeed and be successful. But making their products more "like the comic books" is a BIG mistake in my opinion. It makes me sad that they are starting to adopt the bad habits of the comic book industry. It's not too late to reverse course. If Wanda gets a solo project, I hope it's not overstuffed with too many characters.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-13-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Hellfire Gala stuff.
    Ah. Thank you.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I can't really PROVE that Cumberbatch and Olsen are unhappy with the final product. Maybe it's because I haven't been following the MCU for practically all of this year, so I'm missing some information. So I could be totally off base with my opinions. I don't understand why Benedict isn't giving in-depth interviews to publications like the New York Times and the Washington Post. The MoM is probably the biggest "hit" of his career. So I figure he would. Olsen clearly states that she is grateful for the job security the MCU gives to her, but I have to admit I was a bit taken aback that she stated that she was "frustrated" by the contractual shackles Disney put on her. She didn't say that last year when WandaVision came out. I assume the contractual shackles were there in 2021 as well as now. Strange 2 could be the biggest movie she'll ever headline. I just think it's so odd. No question the MoM is a VERY successful film for Disney. It makes me sad that they don't SEEM to be too satisfied with what happened. I recall even WandaVision "side" characters Teyonah Parris, Randall Park and Kat Dennings being thrilled to be involved in that show. I'm not really hearing a whole lot from the main cast of the MoM right now.

I liked all the Disney Plus Marvel shows to varying degrees, and I feel I was a bit harsh on Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye. Looking back, I thought Schaeffer did a pretty good job with the material she was given. Spellman, Waldron and Igla did the best they could with what they were given too. I think there's a lot of studio interference going on to be honest. And I think it's pathetic that Schaeffer took heat for not reading the comic books. I feel the only requirement for writers in the MCU is to watch the movies and shows. I just think it's gonna be harder for them to do that because Disney is pumping out so many Marvel films and shows right now. I'm more of a casual audience member, and I'm starting to get really exhausted following everything. I think the actors/actresses, directors, writers and producers are feeling the same way too. I really hope Marvel Studios slows down a bit. To me, it sort of doesn't matter that television ratings and box office sales are stellar. Prioritizing quantity over quality will just cause problems down the line. That's inevitable. I REALLY want the MCU to succeed and be successful. But making their products more "like the comic books" is a BIG mistake in my opinion. It makes me sad that they are starting to adopt the bad habits of the comic book industry. It's not too late to reverse course. If Wanda gets a solo project, I hope it's not overstuffed with too many characters.
    Hopefully Wanda can get her little corner without much distraction and annoyance.