Page 246 of 456 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 6836

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    Retread of what exactly?
    Going through a breakdown over losing her family, then realizing what she did wrong and ending what she was doing wrong.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I guess the MoM's creators could have done some more research. But as Shimbo so kindly mentioned to me, Wanda's runes WERE mentioned in Strange 2's plot.
    Kind of, but no magic was really gone into in this. It's like yeah Vision is also shown for a second but the focus isn't really on everyone she's lost either.

I don't wanna brag, but from what I understand it seems that NOBODY on the Internet has even discussed Wanda's rune magic (or lack thereof) in Strange's sequel. Certainly not on CBR. The reason I'm discussing it now is because I'm really interested in the "rules of magic" in fantasy. Superhero magic is just too inconsistent to me. I became fascinated by the debate over "soft" and "hard" magic ironically after watching WandaVision. But I think to most posters on this forum, and that includes you probably , it's just too boring a topic to even contemplate.
    Where have I ever said I found magic boring?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Kind of, but no magic was really gone into in this. It's like yeah Vision is also shown for a second but the focus isn't really on everyone she's lost either.

Where have I ever said I found magic boring?
    Oh I see. At least it was mentioned. I didn't mean to say that you found magical stories to be boring. I was under the impression that you found the discussion over the "rules of magic" to be boring. I admit it can get a bit tedious sometimes, but I feel that it's important. Wanda can win her battles EASILY if she puts up runes around her opponents. For her powers to be neutralized, her adversaries have to do it to her FIRST. I was thinking the MoM would get into this, but apparently that wasn't the case?
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-14-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Oh I see. At least it was mentioned. I didn't mean to say that you found magical stories to be boring. I was under the impression that you found the discussion over the "rules of magic" to be boring. I admit it can get a bit tedious sometimes, but I feel that it's important. Wanda can win her battles EASILY if she puts up runes around her opponents. For her powers to be neutralized, her adversaries have to do it to her FIRST. I was thinking the MoM would get into this, but apparently that wasn't the case?
    No I just don't think rules of magic need changing in comics to fit outside influences. And you've repeatedly stated that comics need to go into things they've already gone into. I don't think Wanda needs a cost to her powers being used for instance. Because the cost usually is something like this movie's garbage.

BANNED

It's really the fault of both, because they only had to really watch WandaVision. And that can be done in a weekend. It's part of all of their jobs. It is what they get paid big bucks for. They can surely find the time.
    Executives can mandate that comics by read and even out this mandate in the contract. Ditto for prior MCU work featuring the heroes.

IGN did a ranking of the top 25 Marvel Superheroes and Wanda is dead last. They said she would have been higher but the events of DS2 is why she's so low

https://www.ign.com/articles/best-top-marvel-mcu-heroes

No I just don't think rules of magic need changing in comics to fit outside influences. And you've repeatedly stated that comics need to go into things they've already gone into. I don't think Wanda needs a cost to her powers being used for instance. Because the cost usually is something like this movie's garbage.
    But didn't Robinson introduce the "aging of Wanda's soul" due to her magic use in her mini? I know it's not a popular "cost" amongst Wanda fans here, but I understood why Marvel went through with it. There's gotta be a way to prevent magical characters from becoming overpowered in their stories. Even Olsen stated that she was interested in playing a Wanda that is "aging" and "decaying" from her powers. So it's not just me who gets the appeal of the notion of magic having a "price" in fiction. I think Clea was banished to the Dark Dimension because she was overpowered too. It's hard to write magic consistently! Especially in comic books. You have acknowledged that fact yourself. What I'm trying to say is that the idea of magic having a cost is VERY easy for general audiences to understand. I think it makes magic in fiction MUCH more accessible. I'm not sure if this concept would be applicable in comic books because they change too much. But for the movies/shows, I think it works.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-14-2022 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IGN did a ranking of the top 25 Marvel Superheroes and Wanda is dead last. They said she would have been higher but the events of DS2 is why she's so low

And pretty much every comment is about how thrash that entire list is. IGN never changes lol

Extraordinary Member

It really is Groundhog Day for longtime Wanda fans. After years of trying to explain that just because Bendis had her do something in House of M doesn't mean it's in character, we're right back to arguing the same thing about this movie.

Maybe it's a little more obvious here than it was in the House of M days, because a lot more people watched Wanda's show than read her pre-2004 comics, and most of them know something is wrong with her portrayal. Even Grace Randolph, who thought the idea of villain Wanda sounded cool, was negative about the movie because it ignored everything about WandaVision and turned her into a completely different person offscreen.

But it's just really tiring to have this character who goes back and forth between good writing and terrible writing, so we keep having to explain that the good writing "counts" and the bad writing does not (because characters can't be judged by their worst, most out-of-character stories). If she just never got written well then we could give up on her, but she was written well just last year.

But didn't Robinson introduce the "aging of Wanda's soul" due to her magic use in her mini? I know it's not a popular "cost" amongst Wanda fans here, but I understood why Marvel went through with it. There's gotta be a way to prevent magical characters from becoming overpowered in their stories. Even Olsen stated that she was interested in playing a Wanda that is "aging" and "decaying" from her powers. So it's not just me who gets the appeal of the notion of magic having a "price" in fiction. I think Clea was banished to the Dark Dimension because she was overpowered too. It's hard to write magic consistently! Especially in comic books. You have acknowledged that fact yourself. What I'm trying to say is that the idea of magic having a cost is VERY easy for general audiences to understand. I think it makes magic in fiction MUCH more accessible. I'm not sure if this concept would be applicable in comic books because they change too much. But for the movies/shows, I think it works.
    It was used briefly and never mentioned again.

It doesn't prevent them from being overpowered. It just gives them a villain turn because Marvel doesn't know how to use their actual villains anymore. And even with that, don't do the villain turns for heroes well.

I have not acknowledged that it's hard to write magic consistently. I have acknowledged that writers ignore what has come before. Which is their own mistake. Again if fans can do research and PAY to do so, people paid to do it can as well.

This movie didn't make magic anything. It doesn't go into it much at all.

Extraordinary Member

I doubt anyone in the audience cares if they have consistent rules for magic. The rule of magic in this kind of story is characters can do anything unless the plot requires that they can't.

The problem is magic getting reduced to "throwing red energy that beats yellow energy." There were a lot of new tricks Wanda learned in WandaVision that she could have used here if the movie had anything to do with the show, which of course it doesn't. But the reason to want her to use her creation power from the show is because it's visually more interesting, not because of rules. There are no rules.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It really is Groundhog Day for longtime Wanda fans. After years of trying to explain that just because Bendis had her do something in House of M doesn't mean it's in character, we're right back to arguing the same thing about this movie.

Maybe it's a little more obvious here than it was in the House of M days, because a lot more people watched Wanda's show than read her pre-2004 comics, and most of them know something is wrong with her portrayal. Even Grace Randolph, who thought the idea of villain Wanda sounded cool, was negative about the movie because it ignored everything about WandaVision and turned her into a completely different person offscreen.

But it's just really tiring to have this character who goes back and forth between good writing and terrible writing, so we keep having to explain that the good writing "counts" and the bad writing does not (because characters can't be judged by their worst, most out-of-character stories). If she just never got written well then we could give up on her, but she was written well just last year.
    That is why we never give up on her and Why most of the general population of fans have not either, we all know who to blame and we stick it who is to blame. That is why we stick with Wanda cause Vast Majority we are right and it seems that is stick with fans both here and other place’s.

We don’t give up on our Wanda cause their is Vast Far more to love and support then negatives and many see who is to blame now.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

You know, when you take the context of the movie out of these, these Artworks are Pretty Stunning!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    And pretty much every comment is about how thrash that entire list is. IGN never changes lol
    IKR Galerion, I read a bunch to and I am liking that fans aren’t but being spoon-feed these lines by these movie/game outlets to just accept all what they say for who we choose or should like.

Fans know who they like, many still love Wanda and that is very good cause its the start to show many don’t buy the MoM story as be all and we want more and better stories going forward.

It is a start but for all that was pushed it is a better place in fans hearts to be in with Wanda, which is so far good to see the pushbacks.