Page 43 of 456 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Hopefully a Scarlet Witch title gets announced soon.

I'm stuck at the airport so here's a doodle I did on my phone to help manifest an ongoing. Sailor Scarlet Witch!

Attachment 117787

https://imgur.com/rCJEItE
    I love it! That is some good art!
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    People want HoM because that is literally the only thing they ever know about her period.
    Unfortunately her worst stories became also the most famous due to the sheer shock value it has.
    And really I don't mind her being a power fantasy for some, but again like you said, why can't she be Superman type of power fantasy but instead power fantasy for edgy teenagers' perceptions of "girl boss"?
    I think that inherently is the problem. It's always been a problem I've had with fandom and certain characters, wherein a character is often overshadowed by the power fantasy they represent and all discussion eventually dissolves into how great their "feats" are. Actions should help define a character and not the other way around, Wanda should not exist to service her power. Her power should help frame her narrative, her choices, and journey.

While it's understandable why some might be drawn to a power fantasy - it's flashy spectacle - the cost often comes at depth. And I think that's been an issue, many know Wanda for these grand "feats" and nothing more, she's a catalyst for "cool things" they want to see, but in these scenarios she's used as a device for other's and not her own story - it's shallow, exploitative, short-sighted, and plays into numerous problematic tropes. I actually think a story constructed by capable writers could tell a compelling version of that story, IF Wanda was the central protagonist. But she isn't.
    Now I think the MCU has actually done a decent job at walking that fine line. I mean she got an entire show dedicated to exploring her character. It's just that honestly she needs to be in the right environment going forward. In the comics and the MCU.
    If we are honest worldly threats are not really a threat to her at this point. An entire group of armed thugs is a decent workout for someone like Cap or Black Widow but Wanda will just put everyone to sleep or something like that just like in that scene against the Bank robbers in her solo book.

I think that's why MoM is actually a very good move. In that kind of environment her powers can't overshadow her character anymore because they are not this overbearing thing anymore but are just adequate to survive and have a fighting chance against the threat at hand. I feel in anything lower there there will always have to be an excuse why she doesn't just cleans house or she will be the plot device to resolve everything at the end. Marvel has this running with Dr Strange already who mostly doesn't concern himself with more trivial threats and keeps bigger stuff at bay that most other heroes are not able to handle. Wanda moving in a similar direction is probably a solution if you don't want her power to overshadow her character. I think her solo book got that right already. It just needs to be consistent.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think Wanda really has a problem with being too powerful. She's as powerful as the writers care to make her. Even in her show, her powers were limited to one town and the constructs she created couldn't survive out of a limited space. The "leaks" for MoM have her suddenly being extra powerful as all characters are when they turn evil/possessed; when characters are themselves, writers just find reasons why they can't fix everything.

The problem with Wanda is the comics won't use her and we still don't know how the MCU is planning to use her. But her powers are so poorly-defined that all a writer has to do is come up with plausible explanations for why she can't do something. In the MCU especially since she doesn't fully understand what she can do. But even in the comics, she's never been too powerful to use as part of a team because her power levels have never been (or should be) consistent. Even Billy, who is probably more consistently OP, has been on teams, so Wanda wouldn't have a problem if Marvel cared to use her. Which they don't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Very nice Sideshow statue, they just put an article on Wanda and her family.
    Can they for once actually introduce her with the majority of her contents instead of "uwu she is like Mag, daddy's girl", his influence on her is mainly just being a shitty ex-boss.
    And seriously? Since when is Mag the poster boy of "idealism"? I thought the whole premise of early Magneto/Xavier conflict is Mag being more of a pragmatist. Did they literally just imagined how her character should be?
    If anything she is the kind who see the humanity in everyone, but not really someone "who fight against all kinds of persecution" she surely would be against them like most superheroes, but it's not her main theme or story elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Its a weird situation cause they were quick to make new books for falcon and the winter soldier, loki and even Kang got something after the reveal in Loki

Its just wanda that her got nothing even darkhold alpha got pushed for covid while the others didn't
    That sounds like editorial bias, either against Wanda in particular, or females in general lol.

I actually won't mind if he just tosses most of the convulted nonsense out of the window and use his OG coninuity/lore explanation.
    If his previous posts are any hint, he'll pick up the convoluted stuff and use them to explain stuff lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    "Hero" that tried to molest children in comics and kept Danger imprisoned. Then manipulated the lives of some X-Men members. Cyclops was right to kill him.

I shouldn't even say tried, since he forced Dani to have an orgasm in X-Men and the Micronauts. She wasn't of legal age.
    I know 616 Xavier is a piece of **** but, aside from that random crush on Jean, which even Onslaught points out he repressed, I didn't know about him molesting children, when did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    I've heard from a friend who works at Njntendo but also knows Kevin Feige's hairdresser, that Xavier, Optimus Prime, Cloud Strife, Danger Mouse, and Rocky & Bullwinkle all try to stop Wanda, while Doctor Strange sits in a corner and cries, "thus was supposed to be my movie", he sobs, as Tifa Lockhart, Space Harrier, Batman, Catwoman, Top Cat, Officer Dibble, Bart Simpsion, and Doctor Who arrive.

Wanda says that she tried to understand her powers but that was all totally pointless, so she just decides to let it all Hex out and do the thing she did at the beginning of WandaVision. "So this is character development?" She asks, confused.
    Why are you leaking the next Kingdom Hearts' plot? .

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I have done a bit of thinking and I think there is another viewpoint that should be considered. Spending time around comic fans has made me realize that there is this unique trait that characters like Wanda have. She is portrayed as scarily powerful with her powers having no clear-defined limits. The MCU has certainly built her up as a real powerhouse with increasingly powerful feats throughout the movies and Kevin Feige has called her the most powerful Avenger. Something that is hard to disagree with at this point. And this is where that trait comes in. People still want more and more. It's a power fantasy at this point and Wanda is the vehicle for it. Just like people love it when Superman comes flying in and goes absolutely ham on the villain of the day. An itch that other characters like Cap just cannot satisfy.

I suspect that's why House of M/No more mutants gets brought up so often. Love it or hate it is still the most powerful feat she has ever accomplished in her history and even with all the crazy stuff happening in the Marvel Universe all time not many characters can claim to have done something similar. I think many don't actually know all the details of the story and all the problems it had and caused further down the line. They just use it as an example for how powerful the character is and therefore want to see it on screen and not out of any malicious reasons.
    I think that inherently is the problem. It's always been a problem I've had with fandom and certain characters, wherein a character is often overshadowed by the power fantasy they represent and all discussion eventually dissolves into how great their "feats" are. Actions should help define a character and not the other way around, Wanda should not exist to service her power. Her power should help frame her narrative, her choices, and journey.

While it's understandable why some might be drawn to a power fantasy - it's flashy spectacle - the cost often comes at depth. And I think that's been an issue, many know Wanda for these grand "feats" and nothing more, she's a catalyst for "cool things" they want to see, but in these scenarios she's used as a device for other's and not her own story - it's shallow, exploitative, short-sighted, and plays into numerous problematic tropes. I actually think a story constructed by capable writers could tell a compelling version of that story, IF Wanda was the central protagonist. But she isn't.
    Stuff like that is partially why I don't care too much about feats, unless we get ridiculous stuff like that time Spidey defeated Firelord, 'cause I still want power separations to be a thing, otherwise if a weak scrub like Spidey manages to defeat someone as powerful as Firelord easily, then power separation means nothing.

But yeah fans can have these problems where they look at feats and not characters, if we're going to look only at feats, then the best character at Marvel is pre-retcon Beyonder, considering how casually he used to outclass everything.

And that's honestly the thing, making strong characters is very easy, anyone could create some crap character who can outclass pre-retcon Beyonder, TOAA or living tribunal, making them interesting, that's hard, making them strong and interesting, that's even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Spiritual sequels anyways. Also Bendis did reveal that Darker Than Scarlet was one of main inspirations for AD, though clearly he didn't read anything else.
    This is such a fucking terrible mix man, Bendis, the guy who doesn't care about continuity besides his own stuff and random **** he read, taking notes from Byrne, the guy who doesn't care about continuity besides his own stuff and random **** he read...

I think we can say it's a miracle Wanda was salvageable at all after HoM if we think like this, even if it still took too damn long for Marvel to actually fix her.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I know 616 Xavier is a piece of **** but, aside from that random crush on Jean, which even Onslaught points out he repressed, I didn't know about him molesting children, when did that happen?
    X-Men and the Micronauts.

Can they for once actually introduce her with the majority of her contents instead of "uwu she is like Mag, daddy's girl", his influence on her is mainly just being a shitty ex-boss.
    And seriously? Since when is Mag the poster boy of "idealism"? I thought the whole premise of early Magneto/Xavier conflict is Mag being more of a pragmatist. Did they literally just imagined how her character should be?
    If anything she is the kind who see the humanity in everyone, but not really someone "who fight against all kinds of persecution" she surely would be against them like most superheroes, but it's not her main theme or story elements.
    The article failing to mention Wanda telling Magneto off about the way he goes about things. It's the biggest problem about that relationship being glorified. People forget the actual canon in exchange for some heavy romanticization. And sometimes just make stuff up.

Hopefully a Scarlet Witch title gets announced soon.

I'm stuck at the airport so here's a doodle I did on my phone to help manifest an ongoing. Sailor Scarlet Witch!

Attachment 117787

https://imgur.com/rCJEItE
    That is so cute

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Very nice Sideshow statue, they just put an article on Wanda and her family.
    I'm think I going to throw up

The Scarlet Witch Wanda Maximoff has a brand new Marvel comic book status quo

https://www.gamesradar.com/scarlet-w...el-status-quo/

Preferred Wanda hex powers … by Englehart and Cockrum. Bendis Wanda made my head ache.
    24B47FE7-21FB-4C5B-ACA9-5D69510D83A8.jpg
    “We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace and the norms and notions of what just is, isn’t always justice.”

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Preferred Wanda hex powers … by Englehart and Cockrum. Bendis Wanda made my head ache.
    24B47FE7-21FB-4C5B-ACA9-5D69510D83A8.jpg
    Yeah, affecting probability to summon a meteor from space is way better than somehow depowering a species.
    Last edited by leokearon; 01-27-2022 at 12:42 PM.

During her hex moments sometimes she did crazy things or sometimes it backfired in some stupid way, she was powerful as the writer wanted but limited her in other aspects, im kinda glad she moved to the magic witch route.
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 01-27-2022 at 10:52 AM.

I never liked the chance of her powers backfiring thing. It made more sense when she was a novice, but some writers still include it despite her having honed her powers in training. And it just reduces any progression for the character.

Chaos magic to me isn't difficult to understand. It's just the umbrella for everything she was able to do before. Her hexes are still there. Hex orbs, energy projections, reality warping, etc. It's just writers need to remember her taking up traditional magic to control her powers. Bendis wasn't the one to give her reality warping either. That happened before that, during Busiek's stuff. He had the limit that she had to be tapping into something. Where Bendis just had her go out of control. Then Marvel corrected it later as her tapping into the Life Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    The Scarlet Witch Wanda Maximoff has a brand new Marvel comic book status quo

https://www.gamesradar.com/scarlet-w...el-status-quo/
    While I'm glad that it left Wanda in a better position. I wish it had produced some results yet. We are still in the position of waiting for months for her next possible appearance. I hope there ends up being something in May (the month Strange 2 is released), but I also won't hold my breath. They just really haven't been good at promoting Wanda in comics to coordinate with her MCU popularity.