Page 61 of 456 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    If she is motivated in this film to save her kids like Avengers Disassembled she will be pretty sympathetic to audiences regardless of anything else that may occur.
    No.

She wasn't sympathetic in Avengers Disassembled, she was crazy and killing innocent people because she was weak-minded and couldn't handle her power.

I hope the MCU won't do that over again, but as the WandaVision creator pointed out, the powerful woman who goes crazy is a tired, sexist trope.

The fact that it happens over her kids is just part of the sexism; it's the "baby crazy" trope. The show averted that by showing she would let her kids go to stop hurting people. But the people from the show aren't making this movie....

[
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    If she is motivated in this film to save her kids like Avengers Disassembled she will be pretty sympathetic to audiences regardless of anything else that may occur.

I agree with you, this scene in particular is getting tons of likes (hit tweets) and reactions from fans and general public, people feeling sad and bad for her

Last edited by Cruelrain; 02-13-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    No.

She wasn't sympathetic in Avengers Disassembled, she was crazy and killing innocent people because she was weak-minded and couldn't handle her power.

I hope the MCU won't do that over again, but as the WandaVision creator pointed out, the powerful woman who goes crazy is a tired, sexist trope.
    I still feel that is happening here to, it seems all the main cast is going threw very dark and hard horrors in this movie, it has yet to seen if the movie will uncut anyone in it yet, but it still is likely they will be ok and the status set up by WandaVision for Wanda piggybacking on her popularity will still be the status quo for her by the end of this.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The fact that it happens over her kids is just part of the sexism; it's the "baby crazy" trope. The show averted that by showing she would let her kids go to stop hurting people. But the people from the show aren't making this movie....
    Its kinda not the same in HoM and disassembled cause wanda was barely in those and they really never build her character in those stories so in the MCU you have people who know wanda and been following her journey instead of just seeing her wake up crazy like disassembled and HoM did.

Not saying i like this, just saying im seeing people actually rooting for her and not just fans but locals as well because of how they saw her in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think the original leak said she was dead. From my memory + someone I know who alledgedly knows which leaks are true, her ending is apparently left unclear, she's at the "Darkhold castle" in the last scene and it gets destroyed/starts crumbling, so they could assume she dies because of that but we don't actually see her dying.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, that's why I said dies, or is thought to be dead. Because in normal circumstances, it'd be dead. No one survives that. But it's also comics based. So anything is possible. I just hope it's not the end. It'd be a pretty terrible ending. But fans elsewhere are cheering for it, and the MCU seems to be aiming towards fan service. So we'll see.
    end of spoilers
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

The worldwide audience is showing sympathy for Wanda & for the most part supporting her efforts in doing what it takes to get the twins back, especially after calling out the double standard with Strange her "Fans" ain't going nowhere if they for her they for her.
    Last edited by Journey; 02-13-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Its kinda not the same in HoM and disassembled cause wanda was barely in those and they really never build her character in those stories so in the MCU you have people who know wanda and been following her journey instead of just seeing her wake up crazy like disassembled and HoM did.
    Well I'm not even really thinking about public reaction because most people (sensibly) haven't read the leaks, and the trailer doesn't imply what happens in the leaks. Specifically

spoilers:
    the trailer makes it look like our Wanda is the remorseful one and the other Wanda is evil and killing people. While this would make logical sense, we don't have any proof that this is true, sadly; the leaks claim that the Wanda we see crying is the evil one and she's possessing the other Wanda and making her kill.
    end of spoilers

Are the leaks getting stuff wrong? I sure hope so, I just wish I'd never read them, because until the movie comes out I'm going to be terrified that the character is doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The worldwide audience is showing sympathy for Wanda & for the most part supporting her efforts in doing what it takes to get the twins back, especially after calling out the double standard with Strange her "Fans" ain't going nowhere if the for her they for her.
    This may sound mean and I'm sorry, but I don't like the idea of fans who will support a character no matter what they do.

The movie isn't finalized yet and if Marvel thinks people will actually like to see Wanda do anything to get her kids back, they'll be less likely to choose a version of the movie that has her behaving more in character.

I feel like if there's any hope for her it's because of fan backlash.

That said, again, I'm not blaming fans who aren't getting mad about the trailer. But fans who have read the leaks and actually think that would be a good way to go... I don't get it. Their only hope is to make it known that that's not acceptable. Otherwise they'll never get the character they love back.
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-13-2022 at 07:31 PM.

Yeah blind allegiance to the point of excusing a full villain turn is not good. But it's general audiences and they aren't familiar enough with the character. They like feats. They could care less about character development. Some of them find that sort of thing boring.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

No.

I think Jac Scaheffer credited Mary Livanos as her 'comic book whisperer'. Mary isn't involved with Dr Strange 2 so we are probably seeing exactly what happens when she isn't around to help guide Wanda's character development.

They're just too into mentally unstable Wanda. Disassembled and House of M basically cursed Wanda one way or another.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah blind allegiance to the point of excusing a full villain turn is not good. But it's general audiences and they aren't familiar enough with the character. They like feats. They could care less about character development. Some of them find that sort of thing boring.
    I have no idea how general audiences would react. It's hard to tell from the trailer because the trailer isn't even clear what the plot is or which version of Wanda is doing anything at any point. I can't expect people to be angry unless they've read the plot leaks, which most people have not (and shouldn't).

So my annoyance isn't with general audiences, just people who think this is the new, even worse "Avengers Disassembled" and think it's cool because she gets to show how powerful she is.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Moviegoers aren't as horribly self-righteous as comic fans. The characters in Scarface, Breaking Bad, etc. are not seen as villains, but cool anti-heroes.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    [

I agree with you, this scene in particular is getting tons of likes (hit tweets) and reactions from fans and general public, people feeling sad and bad for her

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The worldwide audience is showing sympathy for Wanda & for the most part supporting her efforts in doing what it takes to get the twins back, especially after calling out the double standard with Strange her "Fans" ain't going nowhere if they for her they for her.
    While I still will not base my likings or ideas of Wanda or society on Social Media to much, it is good that postives are coming out of it of this short, but the scene is can be and likely should be FAR more deeper that just supporting her grief.

It is what Wanda is going threw in the context of such a Scene, the growth she will get out of it like she did in her journey threw greif in WandaVision Episode #8.

If MoM is going threw a similiar Character journey for Wanda to help her grow out of the Mistakes of Westview and her grief of her loses and mistakes in life to push her to the next level, that would be Very Welcomed and what I have been feeling the MCU is likely going to be doing for Wanda now.

Olsen and Wanda work much better in such deep character studies like they did for her in WandaVision, it is what and why many fans support and got glommed onto her because of how real and how deep and relatiable Wanda is.

Feets and Powers are barely important compared to Such Character growth and I am hoping and seems to be what Wanda might be going threw here as well that will just make her more enduring to fans, Put her on the path we want her to be on, thanks to her populatrity MCU has a reason to do right by her and it shows Why our Wanda is loved by US as well in the Comics World cause of how deep and hard she has had to work threwout her like both threw light and darkness.

I am hoping from scenes like these the same as well, it has much of a bigger impact and why Wanda is winning the poplularity and Growing support for being a hero dicussion IMO.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Just curious how do i use the spoiler tag.
    Last edited by Scarlet Wiccan; 02-13-2022 at 07:50 PM.

spoilers:
    I don't think this is mustache twirling, evil for the sake of evil, EVIIIIL Wanda we're getting. There'll certainly be layers to unpack, how effectively that has been scripted/edited still remains to be seen. I've enjoyed Elizabeth Olsen's performance thus far and feel she at least has the acting chops to pull off the duality in playing a conflicted antagonist. That being said, I don't think we can avoid the problematic tropes - 'baby-crazed' woman that can't control (is corrupted by) immense power, but it does look like they'll tackle, in some fashion, the double-standard when men vs women break the rules. So the film should hopefully provide an empathetic/understanding lens for Wanda's actions.

To say the least, this will be an arduous chapter for Wanda. But I do think there are bigger plans than "Big Bad" Wanda that will be laid out in the film. At the end of the day the MCU is a business and they won't waste any effort in capitalizing on their most popular female character. In that I can trust.
    end of spoilers