Page 71 of 456 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 6836
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'm pretty sure part of calling something out is done is so that the people who made it and try to make up for it. Like how Bruce/Natasha got heavily downplayed and how the Mandarin was given a do-over.
    Yeah, but you see, AD/HoM elements and other sexist tropes on Wanda are hardly called out. On the contrary, they are often celebrated as "yass, comic accuracy".
    Getting bad stories recognized as universally bad is already a challenge for Wanda. Wanda's broader fandom is literally like a person withou sense of pain and don't know what can be harmful to her character.

The reaction in social media toward MoM is bunch of yass queen, or slander against her character for being a bitch and shit. Hardly ever do people judge them on a writing level.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    The reaction in social media toward MoM is bunch of yass queen, or slander against her character for being a bitch and shit. Hardly ever do people judge them on a writing level.
    Um, MoM isn't out yet, so we don't know what the reaction is yet. We know what the reaction to the trailer is, yes, but it's mostly for lines she says in the trailer and leaks/rumors, the former being largely positive and the latter being largely negative.

What people are responding to is a combination of the trailer and the leaks. Because the leaks have been accurate. And people concentrate mostly on spoilers:
    Wanda killing people and think it's some power moment for her
    end of spoilers and her dumb line to Strange that doesn't work. People didn't realize that also the leak said spoilers:
    she is killed off or is believed to be killed off but are now waking to that reality. And some are posting that it'd be their villain origin.
    end of spoilers.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Ah, what? I am pretty sure not everyone gets the AD/HoM treatment. As a matter of fact, few characters are actually only ever defined by the overrated worst pieces of their stories.
    Shocking I know.
    From what you previously said, how Marvel treats their characters (misogynistic tropes), they don't merit them getting any money, time, effort, or support just to push these tropes and stereotypes in their publications/media for people to consume. Maybe there are other companies with writers who respect their characters more that could use more people to back them.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Or that we just aren't gonna resign to shrugging over sexist depictions and her being thrown into the fridge like she was in comics. It'd be cowardly to not speak up against that. If that is what they are doing.
    I don't think it's cowardly. I think it's taking a stand against Marvel. And people can continue to criticize Marvel and not buy any movie tickets or comics. So it doesn't mean that you can't speak up agains them.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Why would they make her so popular doing a show where Wanda acts like Wanda, and seemingly throw that all away for cheap scares? It makes no sense, but that's what has us so down, her treatment never makes sense. If it did she'd be in comics now and she'd be teaming up with Strange in the MCU.
    They just want to sell movie tickets and merchandise. There usually is a lot more cross marketing. It doesn't make any sense that she has gotten almost nothing because they're losing money. She isn't completely absent, but she isn't at Spider-Man, Iron Man, Deadpool level yet. She should get her own video game, or at least there should be a magic user video game.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Mostly when I see positive takes on spoilers:
    Wanda killing people it's arguing that the Illuminati deserves it.
    end of spoilers

I mean, a lot of the shots and acting from Elizabeth Olsen shoots towards a sympathetic portrayal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLiVLI-V...jpg&name=large
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 02-14-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Sure, I would love to see Illuminati as bunch of war criminals, they always make the people heroes kill faceless goons or evil persons who deserved it.
    But that rule hardly applies to Wanda, as a matter of fact, her accidentally hurting innocnents is more common for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post

I just love Olsen in the role.

You cannot seriously call whatever AD/HoM Wanda had as a "characterization".
    It's not about being stuck in the past, not if your future is literally being the textbook example of bunch of misogynistic tropes glued together.

Wanda fans want her old and more heroic characterization because the other option is giving up and let the disease win.
    You are essentially asking the fans to accept the tumor that is AD/HoM to be the new her. Something that is a small part of her and is actively killing her character.
    It's not the "new" her. Those stories are over 10 years old, people just refuse to get over them and expect Marvel to abandon them completely when they are some of Wanda's most popular stories. Whether you like the way she was used in them or not. I don't think that's "all" she is and I don't think Marvel does either. Sticking to the MCU, the character is more nuanced than simply oh no she can't control herself and hurt someone! That has happened, because there was precedent for it in the comics, but she hasn't been villain-ized at all, even as a member of Ultron's goon squad the twins were sympathetic. She was sympathetic throughout WandaVision and probably will continue to be so in MoM. My point is, the character is more popular than she's ever been, and that's not because of the old Vision & Scarlet Witch comic from whatever year that was. The character has changed. Marvel is clearly not abandoning her characterization as someone who does morally ambiguous things at times despite being generally heroic and well-intentioned.

Even if the leaks are true, Wanda doesn't come off like a villain...she clearly has understandable reasons for doing what she's doing whether that's based on losing her children or being corrupted by outside influences.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    She'll completely disappear. Not just be rare in comics. No comics, no merchandise, no movies, nothing. The movies were the one thing keeping her around. If that goes, so does she.
    That's extreme.

Extraordinary Member

Except her modern appearances post-HoM are mostly heroic but the public perception of her character is still based on AD/HoM? Yes it's 10 years and it actually doesn't stick, and contrary to what you think, AD/HoM, despite being famous themselves, didn't make her popular. The foundation of her character is not made by AD/HoM, they also didn't actually popularize her, so by what merit should I accept them? Being hyped by clueless casuals?
    And there is the simple principle of not shoving sexist tropes on her, seriously, your argument still sound like eat this shit and deal with it.

Possible confirmation of leak that spoilers:
    the talk between Stephen and Wanda turns into a confrontation
    end of spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...s_an_illusion/

Amazing Member

So looking at the recent trailer it does look like the leaks are true.

I don't have much to add on my thoughts on the leaked plot except I felt Wandavision was a fine loose adaption of House of M and it pains me that it seems all the writers are interested in are constantly rehashing that and AD. I had hoped she'd play the Black Widow in Winter Soldier role but alas. I'd say I'd be curious about this movie's scores but it's probably gonna be standard MCU 80-90%.

On an aside, I'm not familiar with Waldron, the writer for the upcoming movie. If anyone has seen Loki, how would you rate the overall plotting and character writing?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Possible confirmation of leak that spoilers:
    the talk between Stephen and Wanda turns into a confrontation
    end of spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...s_an_illusion/
    Sadly, this is probably true.

Except her modern appearances post-HoM are mostly heroic but the public perception of her character is still based on AD/HoM? Yes it's 10 years and it actually doesn't stick, and contrary to what you think, AD/HoM, despite being famous themselves, didn't make her popular. The foundation of her character is not made by AD/HoM, they also didn't actually popularize her, so by what merit should I accept them? Being hyped by clueless casuals?
    And there is the simple principle of not shoving sexist tropes on her, seriously, your argument still sound like eat this shit and deal with it.

The MCU made her popular and the MCU version of the character clearly takes inspiration from AD/HoM whether you like it or not. I don't begrudge you not liking those stories, that's your prerogative. I also don't see how the MCU version of the character has been written in a misogynistic way. YMMV on that, clearly, but I don't think a character who's lived a trauma conga line of a life losing control after having her children disappeared is misogynistic. It sounds like a completely understandable response for a parent to have, especially one like Wanda who has already lost the rest of her family.