Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2022

Long, long ago there was a young neurosurgeon named Stephen Vincent Strange, and he was about to make the big time. He had everything the world considers success -- talent, youth, wealth, looks -- but he had no heart. Then fate and his own carelessness caught up with him and stripped him of his career in a single moment. Suddenly, nothing he had was of any value; he deserted his colleagues, was deserted by his friends, and spent his entire fortune seeking a cure for his ruined hands. In desperation, he used the last of his resources to chase a scrap of hope -- the rumor of an Ancient One, far away in the mountains of Tibet, who could work miracles.

Doctor Strange found the old monk and demanded help, but the Ancient One could see that, underneath the wretchedness, he was just as uncaring as ever. He knew that Strange needed a change of heart more than he needed working hands, and offered to let him stay and learn from him. Strange, hurt and angry, called the ancient mystic a fraud and would have left at that moment except that a blizzard suddenly arose, preventing his escape. He was snowbound in the monastery with the Ancient One and his disciples, stewing in his own bitterness.

Then at last came the moment when he realized the Ancient One's most trusted disciple, Baron Mordo, was plotting to murder his master. Strange rushed to interfere, but Mordo turned dark magic on him to silence him. Faced all at once with the stunning knowledge that EVIL magic is very much real, Strange finally let his self interest go. He humbled himself before the Ancient One and asked to learn magic as well, hoping to save the old master from his deceptive disciple. Pleased to have reached Strange's heart at last, the Ancient One accepted him, freed him from Mordo's spell, and sent his former student away.

Since then, Strange has been fulfilling his silent vow to take a stand against dark magic. His adventures have taken him in and out of the hidden pockets of reality, from Eternity's domain to the throne room of the Dread Dormammu. He has primarily stood alone. He has suffered loneliness, anonymity, and a growing sense of isolation from the rest of the world, but his career has been filled with unexpected joys -- the undying loyalty of his assistant Wong, the respect of the superhero community, the turbulent friendship of the Defenders, and the love of many noble women, particularly Clea, heir to the Dark Dimension. He has allied with Doctor Doom. He has defeated Shuma-Gorath in his own dimension. He has argued with the Living Tribunal, faced down the Scarlet Witch, and ridden the winged horse Aragorn. In some cases he prevails by strength of arms, but in far more he succeeds by keeping calm, cleverly using what he has on hand, and never, EVER giving up.

All hail the master, Doctor Strange, ambassador of the mystic arts to the Marvel universe. May his star never fade.

This wonderful introduction was written by Dr. Strange fan extraordinaire, Chariset, for the original Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation Thread.

Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2014-2018

Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2019
    Stephen Strange: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2020
    Stephen Strange: Doctor Strange Appreciation 2021
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BOOKS

Strange Tales (1951)
    Doctor Strange (1968)
    Doctor Strange (1974)
    Strange Tales (1987)
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
    Doctor Strange (2015)
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (2016)
    Doctor Strange (2018)
    Doctor Strange Surgeon Supreme (2020)

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts v1 (mass market size in color)
    Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts v2 (mass market size in color)

Essential Doctor Strange v1
    Essential Doctor Strange v2
    Essential Doctor Strange v3
    Essential Doctor Strange v4

Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v1 (Strange Tales 110-111, 114-141)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v2 (Strange Tales 143-168)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v3 (Doctor Strange (1968) 169-179 and Avengers (1963) 61)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v4 (Doctor Strange (1968) 180-183, Sub-Mariner (1968) 22, Incredible Hulk (1962) 126, Marvel Feature 1 & Marvel Premiere 3-8)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v5 (Marvel Premiere 9-14 & Doctor Strange (1974) 1-9)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v6 (Doctor Strange (1974) 10-20, 22 and Annual 1, and Tomb of Dracula 44)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v7 (Doctor Strange (1974) 23-37 and material from Chamber of Chills 3-4)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v8 (Doctor Strange (1974) 38-46; What If? (1977) 18; Marvel Fanfare 5)
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v9 (Doctor Strange (1974) 47-57, Marvel Fanfare 6; material from Crazy 88, OHOTMU (1983))

Epic Collection Doctor Strange v1 Master of the Mystic Arts (Strange Tales 110–111, 114–146; Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2)

Epic Collection Doctor Strange v3 A Separate Reality (Doctor Strange 180–183; Sub-Mariner 22; Incredible Hulk 126; Marvel Feature 1; Marvel Premiere 3–14; Doctor Strange (1974) 1–5)

Epic Collection Doctor Strange v4 Alone Against Eternity COLLECTING: VOL. 4: DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) 6-28, ANNUAL (1977) 1; TOMB OF DRACULA (1972) 44; GIANT-SIZE DOCTOR STRANGE (1975) 1

Epic Collection Doctor Strange v8 Triumph and Torment (Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme 1–13; Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom - Triumph and Torment OGN)

Epic Collection Doctor Strange v13 Afterlife (Strange Tales (1994) #1;Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme 76–90, Ashcan Edition;
    Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?)

Doctor Strange Omnibus v1 (STRANGE TALES (1951) 110-111, 114-146; AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL (1964) 2)

Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme Omnibus v1 (DOCTOR STRANGE, SORCERER SUPREME 1-40, GHOST RIDER (1990) 12)
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme Omnibus v2 (DOCTOR STRANGE, SORCERER SUPREME 41-59, ANNUAL 2-3; Spider-Man / Dr. Strange: The Way to Dusty Death; SILVER SURFER (1987) 67; MORBIUS: THE LIVING VAMPIRE (1992) 9; SECRET DEFENDERS 1-11; MATERIAL FROM INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL 18; NAMOR THE SUBMARINER ANNUAL 2; SILVER SURFER ANNUAL 5)

Doctor Strange VS Dracula

Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts (Fireside 1979) collects Strange Tales #111, 116, 119–120, 123, 131–133, The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2, and Marvel Premiere #3

A Separate Reality (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5)

Doctor Strange: Strange Tales (1987 series)

Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension

Doctor Strange: Don't Pay the Ferryman (2015) collects Doctor Strange (1974) #75-81

Doctor Strange: The Flight of Bones (1999)

Strange (2004)

Doctor Strange The Oath (2007)

Strange: The Doctor is Out (2009)

Doctor Strange (2015) v1: The Way of the Weird
    Doctor Strange (2015) v2: The Last Days of Magic
    Doctor Strange (2015) v3: Blood in the Aether
    Doctor Strange (2015) v4: Mr. Misery
    Doctor Strange (2015) v5: Secret Empire

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme v1 Out of Time (1-6)
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme v2 Time After Time (7-12)

Doctor Strange Cates v1 God of Magic
    Doctor Strange Cates v2 City of Sin
    Doctor Strange: Damnation the Complete Collection (Damnation 1–4; Johnny Blaze: Ghost Rider 1; Doctor Strange 386–389; Iron Fist 78–80; Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider 15–17)

Doctor Strange (2018) v1 Across the Universe
    Doctor Strange (2018) v2 Remittance
    Doctor Strange (2018) v3 Herald
    Doctor Strange (2018) v4 The Choice
    Doctor Strange Surgeon Supreme v1 Under the Knife

Doctor Strange/Punisher: Magic Bullets (2017) Collects Doctor Strange/Punisher: Magic Bullets 1-4

OGN

Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa (1986)

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment (1989)

Spider-Man / Dr. Strange: The Way to Dusty Death (1992)

Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You Stephen? (1997)

Doctor Strange Season One

PROSE

Nightmare by William Rotsler

Doctor Strange Fate of Dreams by Devin Grayson
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

RECOMMENDED READING

Greatest Dr. Strange Stories Ever Told

"A Separate Reality" (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5) Dr. Strange becomes Sorcerer Supreme by making the toughest choice of his life, Baron Mordo and confronting GOD(?) and his first battle with Silver Dagger. -- NightMage

Triumph and Torment -- DigiCom (formerly Beware Of Geek)
    Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom and Roger Stern and Mike Mignola, what more needs to be said? -- Reviresco

Into Shamballa is my favorite. It’s written by J.M. DeMatteis and painted by Dan Green. Simply beautiful. -- Shadowcat
    This is one of my favorites, too. Beautiful book. -- Clea
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2021 at 11:05 PM.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Mike Deodato posted a bunch of his Marvel and other work on Tumblr this week. Here is a Doctor Strange piece...

Nice art! Can't go wrong with Paul Smith AND Terry Austin.

Haven't seen that Deodato piece, before. His work is a bit looser now. Will have to check his tumblr out.

Happy New Year, fellow Doctor Strange fans! I can't believe we are starting year two without a Strange book. However, we are getting the second movie!

But we are getting this:

Haunted by her recently returned memories, Clea longs to bring Stephen Strange back from the dead! But when a mysterious group attacks the magical realm, Clea, now the sole protector of Earth against magical threats must rise to the duties of Sorcerer Supreme. Don’t miss the shocking twists, new villains, and unbelievable magical feats as Clea takes Marvel magic to places it’s never gone before!

Here’s what MacKay had to say about continuing this unprecedented Doctor Strange saga:

"After the apocalyptic events of THE DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE, there's a new Sorcerer Supreme in residence at 177A Bleecker Street, and a new Doctor Strange—Clea Strange. And she's got her work cut out for her—when she's not fighting off the magical gangsters of the Blasphemy Syndicate, or battling undead super-monsters, she's going after what's hers: the late Stephen Strange. Clea is of the Faltine, that race of Warlords and conquerors, and like her relatives Dormammu and Umar, she will not be thwarted in her desires, not even by the mysterious Harvestman standing in her way.
    So, we will probably get to see Stephen Strange in comics at some point this year, AND we'll get to see Clea shine in her own mini-series. 2022 is looking good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Nice art! Can't go wrong with Paul Smith AND Terry Austin.

Haven't seen that Deodato piece, before. His work is a bit looser now. Will have to check his tumblr out.

Happy New Year, fellow Doctor Strange fans! I can't believe we are starting year two without a Strange book. However, we are getting the second movie!

But we are getting this:

So, we will probably get to see Stephen Strange in comics at some point this year, AND we'll get to see Clea shine in her own mini-series. 2022 is looking good to me!
    Seriously! Happy New Year!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Happy New Year everyone! 2022 is indeed looking good! I hope for all good things for Stephen and Clea in the new year.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

This year I plan to get into The Master of the Mystic Arts.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Happy New Year to Stephen Strange and his fans .

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Happy New Year, Stephen! I hope you're not dead for long!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    This year I plan to get into The Master of the Mystic Arts.
    A great resolution for 2022!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Happy New Year, Stephen! I hope you're not dead for long!
    I agree with this 200%!

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-2...r-strange-art/

A rumored look for Doctor Strange in Multiverse of Madness. I liked it.