Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

This lovely item arrived in my mailbox today! Doctor Strange Omnibus volume 2!

Here's the variant cover for it.

This collects Strange Tales 147-168, Doctor Strange 169-183plus the tie-ins, like the first 'Defenders' meeting / cross over, as welll as Marvel Feature #1 and the Avengers tie-in. Next up should be the Marvel Premiere issues and the following ongoing!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This lovely item arrived in my mailbox today! Doctor Strange Omnibus volume 2!

Here's the variant cover for it.

This collects Strange Tales 147-168, Doctor Strange 169-183plus the tie-ins, like the first 'Defenders' meeting / cross over, as welll as Marvel Feature #1 and the Avengers tie-in. Next up should be the Marvel Premiere issues and the following ongoing!
    I need to get my hands on these so bad. While the Nowlan cover is fetch, Colan>Nowlan.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I need to get my hands on these so bad. While the Nowlan cover is fetch, Colan>Nowlan.
    I do love both artists / covers. But I admit, I grabbed the Nowlan because it was the only one they had.

I like the bigger size of the Omnibus, but I love the quality of the actual book in the Masterworks format. The best value as far as reading is the Epics, I'm sure, but I don't think I've gotten into those, except for titles that are not in print otherwise. All that said, I'm sure I've done some double dipping, and need to sit down and figure out exactly what I have for the Doctor Strange runs. The big problem with his books, is that they sell out so fast and then prices on the secondary market are ridiculous.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I do love both artists / covers. But I admit, I grabbed the Nowlan because it was the only one they had.

I like the bigger size of the Omnibus, but I love the quality of the actual book in the Masterworks format. The best value as far as reading is the Epics, I'm sure, but I don't think I've gotten into those, except for titles that are not in print otherwise. All that said, I'm sure I've done some double dipping, and need to sit down and figure out exactly what I have for the Doctor Strange runs. The big problem with his books, is that they sell out so fast and then prices on the secondary market are ridiculous.
    I have the same problem with the Captain Britain omnis. I’ve got all of the trades, but just can’t give that price they’re asking for the omni.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

I love the idea of the omnibus, and I own a handful, but I just find them too cumbersome and heavy to read comfortably (but then I always preferred paperbacks to hardcovers when reading novels too). I do pick up the Epics when I see them though, but I have most of the older Doc/Strange Tales stuff in the 4 Essentials volumes and haven't upgraded. I picked those up when I sold off the bulk of my SA Marvel collection b/w '00-'03 to pay for a wedding and a cross-country move. I used part of the proceeds to pick up the cheap Essentials to have reading copies, but these days I usually read older stuff via Unlimited since my wife gets me a sub to it every year for my birthday.

Omnibus look great on the shelf, but I find I care less about what my shelf looks like than I do about my reading experience of the material, and the larger mass of the omni just detracts from my reading experience. I am tempted by the Taschen editions though and I am looking at the new paperback Masterworks line too.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-10-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I have the same problem with the Captain Britain omnis. I’ve got all of the trades, but just can’t give that price they’re asking for the omni.
    They are reprinting the Captain Britain omnibus soon, and I hope to pick up a copy then, though I would prefer to get the earlier edition, which may come down in price, as older editions are better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I love the idea of the omnibus, and I own a handful, but I just find them too cumbersome and heavy to read comfortably (but then I always preferred paperbacks to hardcovers when reading novels too). I do pick up the Epics when I see them though, but I have most of the older Doc/Strange Tales stuff in the 4 Essentials volumes and haven't upgraded. I picked those up when I sold off the bulk of my SA Marvel collection b/w '00-'03 to pay for a wedding and a cross-country move. I used part of the proceeds to pick up the cheap Essentials to have reading copies, but these days I usually read older stuff via Unlimited since my wife gets me a sub to it every year for my birthday.

Omnibus look great on the shelf, but I find I care less about what my shelf looks like than I do about my reading experience of the material, and the larger mass of the omni just detracts from my reading experience. I am tempted by the Taschen editions though and I am looking at the new paperback Masterworks line too.

-M
    It's the larger page size that appeals to me for the Omnibus. And when I first started buying them, the quality and paper thickness was great. Now, not so much, especially the paper thickness. It has cut back alot on my Omnibus buying. They are a bit large to handle, which is why I'd prefer to have OHC, but they don't do as many of those now.

I think the Doctor Strange books may be one of the few runs that looks as good in black white Essentials - Tomb of Dracula being another one. Both have runs by Colan who may look best in black in white, IMO. Plus the mysterious and magical subject matter.

They are reprinting the Captain Britain omnibus soon, and I hope to pick up a copy then, though I would prefer to get the earlier edition, which may come down in price, as older editions are better quality.

It's the larger page size that appeals to me for the Omnibus. And when I first started buying them, the quality and paper thickness was great. Now, not so much, especially the paper thickness. It has cut back alot on my Omnibus buying. They are a bit large to handle, which is why I'd prefer to have OHC, but they don't do as many of those now.

I think the Doctor Strange books may be one of the few runs that looks as good in black white Essentials - Tomb of Dracula being another one. Both have runs by Colan who may look best in black in white, IMO. Plus the mysterious and magical subject matter.
    I agree on Colan. I do however, prefer the Ditko stuff with it's psychedelic aesthetic in color.

I also agree I like the larger page format to let the art have room to shine, which is why I adore the Doctor Strange Treasury edition I have, and prefer the magazine size format for single issues than the standard comic sized format (especially for b&w stuff like the Warren mags of Savage Sword of Conan. However, I know my preferences represent a tiny majority of the actual customer base, so I "takes whats I can get!" so to speak. What I can get is more a matter of budget than availability most times though.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

3.5 weeks until Strange #1 hits the stands. I can’t wait to see the preview pages.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Also—why didn’t Jed MacKay use Gilded Lily from Alpha Flight as a nemesis? He’s from Canada for goodness sake.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Ayyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/aWzlQ2N6qqg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Also—why didn’t Jed MacKay use Gilded Lily from Alpha Flight as a nemesis? He’s from Canada for goodness sake.
    For the Death of Doctor Strange story?

Ayyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Did you catch Rintrah? He's one of my fave characters. I legit made a Minotaur Magic-User character in D&D because of him. I squealed.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    For the Death of Doctor Strange story?
    No. Clea’s newest nemesis is a villain with a golden mask. I just wish we’d see more characters from this underutilized franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Did you catch Rintrah? He's one of my fave characters. I legit made a Minotaur Magic-User character in D&D because of him. I squealed.
    YESSSSSSSS I DID!!!!!!!!!! Blasted it all over FB, Twitter, and even on several slack convos I'm involved in.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Also—if Christine isn’t really Clea, could she at least be Topaz? I honestly wish Chavez was Topaz here instead.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Invincible Member

Ayyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Is that Shuma Gorath?