Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Completely random question for the thread:

How does everyone here feel about the good Doctor's pants?

I've always felt like Dr. Strange's costume, the tunic, the cloak, etc were perfect, but then no one has really ever know what to do about those pants. For years it was just completely black, what, leggings? In recent years people have tried a different assortment of pant styles, none of which seem to stick. I feel the best version has been the simple slacks and shoes that were worn in "The Oath" mini-series, as it suits who Strange is best a character. As if he's wearing something slightly professional beneath, like a Doctor would wear, with the extravagant cloaks and amulets over top. It seems to play in with Stephen's, well, strangeness as a character. The sophisticated, educated scholar and the bizarre, master sorcerer.
    I've always liked the black tights / leggings, but that's probably my nostalgia talking.

I could live with the slender slacks. That sounds reasonable, and could still go with the tunic. I do NOT like the LARP outfit and fanny pack, with axe.

Not so sure about these lower leg wrappings, either.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I've always liked the black tights / leggings, but that's probably my nostalgia talking.

I could live with the slender slacks. That sounds reasonable, and could still go with the tunic. I do NOT like the LARP outfit and fanny pack, with axe.

I agree. I prefer the black tights/leggings with the tunic (and the Cloak of course). Slender slacks are okay. The LARP-styled outfit and the axe made him look like an anime character, IMO. The lower leg wrappings lend his look a marital arts look, which I don't mind.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I agree. I prefer the black tights/leggings with the tunic (and the Cloak of course). Slender slacks are okay. The LARP-styled outfit and the axe made him look like an anime character, IMO. The lower leg wrappings lend his look a marital arts look, which I don't mind.
    Didn't think of that. Okay, I'm fine with with the wrappings ... when he's practicing martial arts. ;p

Yes! The LARP outfit was NOT stylish, and I always think of Strange as stylish. NOT a fashionista, but definitely understated style.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I hate the larping look, I also don't like the leggings, he's not Iron Fist or a Kung-Fu character. Or Thor lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Completely random question for the thread:

How does everyone here feel about the good Doctor's pants?

I've always felt like Dr. Strange's costume, the tunic, the cloak, etc were perfect, but then no one has really ever know what to do about those pants. For years it was just completely black, what, leggings? In recent years people have tried a different assortment of pant styles, none of which seem to stick. I feel the best version has been the simple slacks and shoes that were worn in "The Oath" mini-series, as it suits who Strange is best a character. As if he's wearing something slightly professional beneath, like a Doctor would wear, with the extravagant cloaks and amulets over top. It seems to play in with Stephen's, well, strangeness as a character. The sophisticated, educated scholar and the bizarre, master sorcerer.
    I've said this in the past... some sort of hybrid of the Oath & Trenchcoat of Levitation looks would be perfect, IMO. Let's make him a sorcerer for the 21st Centuri.

This photoshop was also quite nice:

Does anyone know of other Doctor Strange related titles similar to the Nexus of Nightmares book that will be coming out in the near future? It's great that Marvel is releasing this book while Strange is technically still dead because it will keep him fresh in the minds of readers while we're all waiting for him to return.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Still my favorite version of the costume:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Even CBR is now discussing how hard it is to write about magic:

https://www.cbr.com/why-increasing-p...s-mcu-problem/

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post

That's because they are idiots.

Yes, telling epic storylines about saving reality is difficult when magic is on the table... but not every story NEEDS to be an epic one.

I mean, look at HAWKEYE, or F&TWS. They didn't become impossible to tell because Wanda & Strange were around, because those characters weren't part of the story. They didn't NEED to be part of the story.

(Can you imagine Clint calling Strange because he lost his wife's watch? Me neither.)

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

Yes, telling epic storylines about saving reality is difficult when magic is on the table... but not every story NEEDS to be an epic one.

I mean, look at HAWKEYE, or F&TWS. They didn't become impossible to tell because Wanda & Strange were around, because those characters weren't part of the story. They didn't NEED to be part of the story.

(Can you imagine Clint calling Strange because he lost his wife's watch? Me neither.)
    Pretty much this.

This is a rando person, who apparently has written a grand total of TWO articles of CBR, including this one and, AFAIK, hasn't professionally published anything. But sure. Let's listen to her, instead of like reading 50 plus years of professional writers writing Doctor Strange. Or heck, thousands of years of artists writing all sorts of stories for a variety of medium using magic in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Does anyone know of other Doctor Strange related titles similar to the Nexus of Nightmares book that will be coming out in the near future? It's great that Marvel is releasing this book while Strange is technically still dead because it will keep him fresh in the minds of readers while we're all waiting for him to return.
    I haven't heard of anything, but that book.

It's not a new problem. MCU always struggled with the power fantasy characters such as Thor and Captain Marvel. Unfortunately Strange and Wanda joined that category.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

I think folks believe since these characters are all part of the same interconnected universe, they should ALWAYS team up when threats arise (regardless of their nature). Hawkeye and Falcon and the Winter Soldier involved no magic. I think Sam and Bucky made like ONE joke about "wizards" in their show, and magic was never mentioned again. I actually think the MCU is handling the mystical corner of their universe pretty well. I thought it would get progressively more horror-influenced, but I don't see that happening. Mindwiping people so they could forget about secret identities using "magic" DOES sound a little comic book-y to me, though. CBR has been on a tear talking about Strange and magic lately:

They just posted an article discussing Stephen's recent dietary habits (it was very amusing):

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-g...iet-explained/

My issue with this is why don't OTHER magic users in the MCU and in the comics eat weird eyeball casseroles as well? Do Clea, Wanda, Magik, Voodoo, Loki, Doom, Kaecilius, Malekith, and Mordo have to consume what is essentially vomit for them to use THEIR magic? It doesn't seem fair to me.

I think folks believe since these characters are all part of the same interconnected universe, they should ALWAYS team up when threats arise (regardless of their nature). Hawkeye and Falcon and the Winter Soldier involved no magic. I think Sam and Bucky made like ONE joke about "wizards" in their show, and magic was never mentioned again. I actually think the MCU is handling the mystical corner of their universe pretty well. I thought it would get progressively more horror-influenced, but I don't see that happening. Mindwiping people so they could forget about secret identities using "magic" DOES sound a little comic book-y to me, though. CBR has been on a tear talking about Strange and magic lately:
    You do realize, these are COMIC BOOK movies, and this is a COMIC BOOK forum, right?

It doesn't matter what is created and on the actual page, people are always going to have their own expectations, headcanon or dumb ideas. I do NOT endorse creators creating to the lowest common denominator.

They just posted an article discussing Stephen's recent dietary habits (it was very amusing):

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-g...iet-explained/

My issue with this is why don't OTHER magic users in the MCU and in the comics eat weird eyeball casseroles as well? Do Clea, Wanda, Magik, Voodoo, Loki, Doom, Kaecilius, Malekith, and Mordo have to consume what is essentially vomit for them to use THEIR magic? It doesn't seem fair to me.
    Again, because it was a stupid idea. It was recently introduced, completely out of the blue, by Jason Aaron in his Dr Strange run, because he was obsessed with the idea that magic had to have an immediate and dreadful cost.

Also, for the most part, with the mighty exception of Brian Cronin, the CBR "articles" are crap. Whisper thin subject, inaccurate, clickbait, and betraying the ignorance of the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's not a new problem. MCU always struggled with the power fantasy characters such as Thor and Captain Marvel. Unfortunately Strange and Wanda joined that category.
    My own personal preference is not for overly super powered characters -- oddly, I've never considered Strange and Wanda in that category. The latter, probably because I mostly read her in before she became a reality warper. But the problem is solved if you write the character instead of the power.

I haven't read enough of Captain Marvel, and I've only seen the movie once, but I never really understood what her 'power' was.