Default New Year's Resolutions 2023

Without getting too personal, would anyone like to share their New Years Resolutions?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Write more consistently and start applying to contests.
    Travel more.
    Work out more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My resolutions are simple:

—read more, be it books, manga or comics
    —eat healthier (bought an air fryer to help with that)
    —ride my bike more than I did this year
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

get to 1000 posts here

I probably overthink these things.

One resolution I liked years ago was to finish reading books that I started (including but not limited to various anthologies.)

A friend of mine has kept a resolution of learning more about one big thing each year. So one year was astrology. One year might be Russian history.

A goal I kept to was reading the same number of comic books as the year. A different goal was to watch a number of movies based on a formula for the year (something like 215 movies in 2015.)

I tried to do a bunch of smaller goals (IE- cook 25 new dishes in a year, go the gym/ exercise strenuously 100 times a year) a few years ago, but the end result was that I didn't meet a lot of different goals. It might make sense to split it further, so that I can keep track of accomplishments (IE- If I write goals on index cards with a general goal of doing 100 of those things, one index card could be to cook five new dishes so I get credit for progress and feel encouraged to go further.)

Another direction would be to reduce bad habits, like drinking less, or wasting my time on Twitter and, er, here. Honestly, I think it could be a good idea for me to stop wasting so much time following current events, when much of it is about speculation and argument about things that never come to pass. The problem with this as a system, it's possible to catch up on doing more good things (IE- if I don't read poetry in January, I could catch up in February) but a goal of avoiding bad stuff is tainted by a failure to follow through.

My workplace is big on the seven habits of highly effective people, and they have methods of sticking to goals and keeping track of it. The recommendation is to stick to a small number of goals (2-3) at a time. Here, it would be important to figure out what your top priorities are. For me, the top one would be to write more, to make more time for that, to show it to people and to submit it.

Another thing that seems important is to be more present. I sometimes multitask, and it doesn't work out well (IE- I'm playing a game on my phone while watching a movie.)

I'm going to give this some more thought.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 12-31-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My resolution for 2023 is the same as for 2022: Don't bother to make New Year's resolutions.

My only resolution is not to make any resolutions.

Wait, that's a resolution. I already blew it!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I have a couple of goals for 2023.

The first is getting back in better health. I lost 24 pounds this year so I am looking to lose a little bit more. I would like to lose 26 by this time next year.

I would like to do more writing. I prison I wrote all the time and I really enjoyed it. I did a little when I got out but I have fallen off. I need to get back into it.

I also want to do more normal reading. I enjoy reading but I read too many comics and play too many video games so I need to read more.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My only resolution is not to make any resolutions.

Wait, that's a resolution. I already blew it!
    Couldnt even get 1 day into the New Year with out messing it up could ya?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

1.To improve my health

2.To improve my finances

3.To make peace with the past.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Terrific thread.

I'll post mine later today.