Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I ended up finishing last year with 191 movies last year. I was just really bad with updating my list. Maybe I can make that my goal this year... Thanks for continuing to run this! Also, I will be borrowing the format from Mr. Met which will help me keep things organized.

My goals for this year:

1) Watch 200 movies
    2) Watch 125 New Movies
    3) Watch 25 Foreign Movies
    4) Complete a 52-Week Criterion Challenge
    5) Complete at least one Five For Five Director Challenge

1. Movie #1 / New Movie #1: The Lost Daughter (2021) - I think I liked this film academically more than I actually enjoyed it. It's a solid directorial debut by Maggie Gyllenhaal, but I don't think the script is up to the level of the direction and performances by Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley. It's definitely a Rorschach test of a film where you can view the film through two separate lenses depending on your perspective. That was super cool, but I don't think it held up narratively. 7/10

2. Movie #2: Shiva Baby (2021) - Re-watched with my wife as it was a quick one before bed. I think this is great, especially as a debut feature. It's a great film about power dynamics and how power can shift between people as conversations go on. 9/10
    Last edited by C_Miller; 01-05-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Adding a few more

3. Oblivion 2013
    4. Runner Runner 2013
    5. Never Let Me Go 2010
    6. Archive 2020

Oblivion is the only re-watch here, it was on so I watched it, an ok movie it holds well.
    Runner Runner is a paint by numbers movie that has every generic plot point.
    Never Let Me Go was really good and Andrew Garfield did really well in it, it is very slow passed if it even has a pace at all but it fits for this type of movie.
    Archive not bad, a bunch of movies now days go with that 'slow burn' and this one at one point almost put me to sleep. Good thing stayed as it was not a horrible movie.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-11-2022 at 07:57 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Here are 2 more for my list bringing me up to 3. A good start so far.

2. The Gumball Rally (1976) VHS - You can keep you F&F movies and your Cannonball Run. This is the greatest racing Movie of all time.
    3. Ted 2 (2015) Dvd - This is another sequel that I love more then the first. Amanda Seyfried was super fun in this movie and I love that her character had no clue who these popular pop culture characters were. I lost it when she called The Enterprise a Rocket Ship.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

3. Movie #3 / New Movie #2: Belfast (2021) - I thought this was nice and sweet. It's a crowd pleaser, but I don't think that should necessarily be treated as a bad thing. It did leave me wanting more, but not in a good way. I found it to be kind of using the perspective of a child as a cop out to avoid actually having a perspective on the conflict, which I think would have enhanced my interest in the film. 7/10

4. Movie #4 / New Movie #3: Red Rocket (2021) - A really well realized portrait of the one of the worst non-war criminals that I’ve ever seen on film. Sean Baker does a fantastic job at capturing the confidence and magnetism that a broke, charismatic, white male can possess. It also does a great job juxtaposing the film’s story with the 2016 election. 9/10

5. Movie #5 / New Movie #4 / Criterion Challenge Week #1 (A film from the year you were born): The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) - I feel like the faithful can get far more out of this film than an atheist like me, but I also feel as if most believers would struggle with it. I really liked it, but it was hard for me to connect to the crisis of faith aspects of the story. I was more drawn to the crushing portrayal of a man with the world on his shoulders. Bonus points for a fantastic David Bowie performance. It kind of balanced how Harvey Keitel’s Judea by way of New Jersey. 8/10

6. Movie #6 / New Movie #5 / The Card Counter (2021) - Knew I’d be doing double Schrader; did not know I’d be doing double Dafoe. I did not care for this as much as I was hoping. Oscar Isaac was great, but his side-kick characters in Tiffany Haddish and Tye Sheridan brought the film down for me. Also, the gambling aspect was not that important to the point where it felt like a bait and switch. 6/10

I am hoping to make a jump this week as I watch the Harry Potter Films again and Watch the Hobbit movies for the first time. Big week of watching I hope.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The films I've seen so far in 2021...

Movie #1/ New Movie #1: The Spiderwick Chronicles (Netflix)
    It's a family fantasy movie that does a decent job of worldbuilding, as well as capturing family dynamics, when a kid doesn't quite understand what's going on, in his family during a tough time (a move following a divorce) and when he realizes fairies and goblins are real, and willing to kill him for some secret knowledge.
    7/10

Movie #2/ New Movie #2: Amarcord (DVD)
    These vignettes in an Italian town during the fascist era capture the silliness and desires of the people who live there, balancing it with the dangers of Mussolini's goons. The angry father has to worry about a disabled brother, and being questioned in the middle of the night for an offhand comment. The context of it may be less obvious now, given the lack of coverage of Fascist Italy in contemporary media compared to when it came out when this was much more in living memory. It is a bit weird to see Fellini in color since so many of his major works are black and white. It's a bit like Kurosawa and Bergman in that way.
    8/10

Movie #3/ New Movie #3: Howards End (Netflix)
    This is the first Merchant/ Ivory film I've seen. It's an odd hole in my filmwatching, although it is pretty good. It's a story about the connections between three families elevated by an excellent cast and production values, with all sorts of character details allowing for new insights even if some turns may be a bit implausible. One thing I really appreciate is the depiction of the friendship between Emma Thompson's Margaret Schlegel and Vanessa Redgrave's Ruth Wilcox, both of whom have very different styles, although they can appreciate the same things. It makes it funny that Redgrave thought she was being hired to play Schlegel. It's obviously largely about privileged people in the early 20th Century, but it acknowledges this in the way a casual comment by the rich can change a poor man's life for the worse. It really shows how the rich people get to be flawed, but the middle class have no room for error.
    9/10

Movie #4/ New Movie #4: The Matrix Resurrections (Movie Theater)
    It's a sequel that squares the circle and pulls off a few difficult tricks. It resurrects characters whose stories had ended, builds on a weak conclusion to the original trilogy , says something about reboots and modern culture, and introduces a twist that allows for the story to continue without making the original victory retroactively meaningless. It drags a bit at the end, with the bad guys not matching Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith, but it is satisfactory.
    7/10

Movie #5: Godzilla (Blu-Ray)
    The original Godzilla is a decent film. I like the build-up to the monster, and the exploration of the moral questions in fighting it.
    8/10

Movie #6/ New Movie #5: West Side Story (Movie Theater)
    The one time I saw the original, I didn't care for it all that much. Part of it is just the ridiculousness of people in a gang dancing around. It works this time to highlight their immaturity. Spielberg's direction is incredible. There are quite a few strong performances, especially Rachel Siegler's lead, Rita Morena's reimagined mentor, Mike Faist's nihilistic Riff, and Ariana Debose's Anita who has to sell character decisions that could easily seem ridiculous if she screws up at all. I wouldn't mind any of them getting Oscar nominations. There's some talk about the message of the script, but it is smarter than simplistic understandings, making the case for and against reckless young love. It's certainly worth seeing in a theater.
    9/10

Movie #7/ New Movie #6: tick...tick...BOOM! (Netflix)
    I like Rent okay, but this is a film I'm really primed to enjoy. Two of my favorite works from the 2010s are the Social Network and Hamilton, so a Lin Manuel Miranda/ Andrew Garfield collaboration automatically piques my interest. Plus, the subject of a writer on the verge of thirty pondering his remaining time just speaks to me. It's pretty well done, with decent songs and a narrative about making art that is a bit complicated, celebrating his ambition at a doomed project while showing hints about the work that will be his legacy.
    8/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Movie #7: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell 2009 (VUDU)
    This was my first time and safe to say my last time watching this movie. You ever watch a movie and felt dumber for it? I had to take a shower after this movie. The acting was way below par it felt less than a B movie. I hope they show this movie in Hell.

Movie #8: Reminiscence 2021 (HBOMAX)
    The world that this movie was set in was way more interesting than the plot of the move. Some kind of Noir story done that came off very generic that I kept waiting for Hugh Jackman to say; of all the memory joints she had to walk into mine. It has it's twist and turns and is a good popcorn flick with an Excellent cast with an outstand production design but the whole movie seemed to really lack energy

Movie #9: The 15:17 to Paris 2018 (HBOMAX)
    A true story about 3 friends that stop an ISIS terrorist on a train from Brussels to Paris. Its not bad but it could have been way better. Going with the real people involved and not with trained actors was a mistake in my opinion. The acting was wooden and came off as a made for TV movie that would most likely end up on a Christian cable channel and not an Eastwood movie. But props to them and their real act of heroism.

Movie #10 Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard 2021 (HBOMAX)
    A great movie if you want to see Samuel L. Jackson say curse words, Salma Hayek act angry, and Ryan Reynolds seem like bumbling a idiot. Which is what each of them do in just about every one of their movies separately but now they get to do it together! The first one was good and had its funny parts here and there, this one fell flat. It had a great cast and would seem they didn't have enough money left over for a writer.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

1. No Retreat No Surrender The Breakout movie for JCVD that has him as the bad ass Russian Mobster Ivan that is a great fighter and the main antagonist for the protagonist Jason Stillwell that does wear Red Adidas Clothes in the climax, and does learn Karate from Bruce Lee's ghost. This movie was made before the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers which had Jason the original Red Ranger that is a Martial Artist, and he wears Red so most likely the writer saw this movie.
    I don't agree with this being a Karate Kid rip off because of standing on its own including the main villains are the Mob, his father that gets injured by the main Villain, the climax in this movie takes place in a boxing ring, etc.
    2. Wild Hogs
    A highly entertaining comedy movie about 4 guys that are Suburban Biker wannabes riding Motorcycles on a road trip, good comedy scenes that do make me laugh, and the main villains in this movie the Del Fuegos that are a Motorcycle gang can be taken seriously including what they did in the climax.
    3. Thank You For Smoking
    An entertaining Comedy movie about an interesting realistic protagonist because Nick Naylor is also narrating the movie never attempts to persuade you that he is a great man improving the world. He speaks for Big Tobacco, and he does talk about the obvious challenge for that job.
    4. The Running Man
    An undeniable great Science Fiction Dystopian movie that is better than the book since I heard about a glaring flaw that the book has which the movie doesn't have. I highly enjoy that this movie justified with an irrefutable strong explanation why the resistance group didn't help Ben and other Runners to fight Stalkers in different areas.
    The movie did inspire the successful book series The Hunger Games, a very similar movie with Gerard Butler as the main hero Gamer, The Condemned, etc
    I'll post in the future with more details for the above movies i have watched.
    5. Jersey Girl
    A great entertaining Comedy Drama movie that has good comedy scenes, the romance is not shoehorned in because it fits in the story, also I'm very happy this movie remains realistic because why Maya was going to have sex with Ollie has a realistic reason, Ollie wants a serious relationship with Maya which doesn't just quickly happen since this was after he learned information about with multiple interactions.
    This movie has lines that make it obvious that Ollie believes God is real except the movie isn't preachy with characters that believe God is real in this movie.

The romance story in this movie doesn't have the bullcrap movie cliche that a person falls in love with another person because of love at first sight, 2 characters get together even though they have nothing in common which is extremely awful writing, a woman that looks beautiful after she stops wearing glasses and her hair gets changed, etc.

Movie #11: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 2016 (HBOMAX)
    Good movie. This has to be Bay's best action. Benghazi is a touchy subject in that is a black eye to some and a battle cry to others and this move though it is a tight line to walk stays on the neutral political side even with the many screw ups and complete fail of our military support system. John Krasinski was great along with the complete cast. Great Film.

Movie#12: News of the World 2020 (HBOMAX)
    A good old fashioned on the road western. The grace and chemistry of Hanks and Zengel makes this move work. A striking and heartfelt story that is predictable but keeps you entertained. Tom Hanks as always delivers a very solid and strong performance. This will be a movie that I'll watch again and I think that Hanks doing a news podcast 150 years ago was awesome!

Movie#13: Thrashin’ 1986 (Amazon Plus)
    Remember the time that Thanos won the down hill skateboard race the “L.A. Massacre,”? Me either! I think the last time I saw this movie was most likely 1987. It had me at the opening credits with it's Full House font (RIP Bob Saget). This entire movie is montage after montage with a few lines of dialogue thrown in between to tell some kind of story. I love it, a beautiful blast of 80s excess.

Movie #14: Child 44 2015 (HBOMAX)
    Set in Stalin-era Soviet Union, a disgraced MGB agent is dispatched to investigate a series of child murders. But this movie is less about a murder investigation or even mystery as we find out "who done it" early on. It is more about Hardy's character dealing with the the disillusion of the paradise of communist Russia. Super cast love Hardy and Rapace, and well paced story.

Movie #15: Kickboxer: Vengeance 2016 (Plex)
    So they made a reboot / remake / reimagining / rewrite of Kickboxer. I loved martial arts movies movies in the 90's and JCVD was the king so I was some what interested to come across this. It was as expected pretty much a throwback to the the 90's flicks. But even though I'm a fan of Bautista he is not Tong Po! Michel Qissi's Tong Po is one of the most iconic villains in martial arts movies and can never be re-cast. The acting is sup par but it was is expected out of people that spend more time learning how to fight than act. Will watch the sequels

Movie #16: Revenge 2017 (Shudder)
    It I Spit on Your Grave were made by a French film maker. A very confident and I would say bold film that is intense and not for the squeamish as there were a few times I had to look way myself. The colors used are awesome and the music is very intense and in the moment. A vibrant, bloody, and suffocating hour and 40 minutes. I can't say much more with out containing spoilers but I will watch this again once I get up the nerve to do so.

Got one more to add to the list bringing my total to 4 movies so far.

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) Dvd - This was my first time hearing Of harry Potter when I saw this movie years ago (In 2006) I wasnt the biggest fan as I thought it was a kids movie. But I Have been reading the books over the last 3 years and watching the movies and became a huge fan

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Got one more to add to the list bringing my total to 4 movies so far.

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) Dvd - This was my first time hearing Of harry Potter when I saw this movie years ago (In 2006) I wasnt the biggest fan as I thought it was a kids movie. But I Have been reading the books over the last 3 years and watching the movies and became a huge fan
    I just watched all the movies for the first time last week!

I loved them! I could watch them again. I can actually say I'm a huge fan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    I just watched all the movies for the first time last week!

I loved them! I could watch them again. I can actually say I'm a huge fan as well.
    Ive seen them all but the last two. I have them all on Dvd but am holding off on the last 2. Like I dont want it to come to an end if that makes sense. I know how it ends and what happens but if I watch it it makes it real.

I am going through and rewatching them the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ive seen them all but the last two. I have them all on Dvd but am holding off on the last 2. Like I dont want it to come to an end if that makes sense. I know how it ends and what happens but if I watch it it makes it real.

I am going through and rewatching them the next couple weeks.
    I could easily rewatch them as soon as this week.

And yeah I know exactly what you mean, by not wanting it to end.

So I got a whole bunch to unload

Movie #17: Naked Singularity 2021 (STARZ)
    This movie has an identity. My first impression is that it was going to be a court drama, then a crime movie about drugs, then a heist movie and throw in so Sci-Fi element that really doesn't fit into any of it. That is what I get for randomly picking a move of the poster art. I mean it had John Boyega with a samurai sword and the lovely Olivia Cooke on it!

Movie #18: Zero Dark Thirty 2012 (STARZ)
    A movie about the hunt and end of al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. It is mainly about one CIA agent's pit bull obsession in finding the OBL not only for the events of 9/11 just also for the deaths of her fellow agents. The movie is long and tells a compelling story and even knowing how it ends kept the action tense. I do wish at Chris Pratt and Joel Edgerton had more screen time but Jessica Chastain was awesome in this movie.

Movie #19: Eternals 2021 (Disney +)
    This move received a lot of negativity when it first came out so I went in with low expectations. It wasn't that bad and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I really don't know too much about the Eternals them self just the bits that have been in other comic books here and there so it was nice going in not really knowing what was what. It seemed a difficult task to introduce so many new characters and tell a story at the same time and it went off ok. This could have been two movies one in the past and the other in the present.

Movie #20: The Tomorrow War 2021 (Amazon Prime)
    A made for Sy-Fy channel movie with a bigger budget and some A-list actors. This was not a horrible but it was not great either with time travel being glance over that in the end I would think would create some sort of paradox. It is a watch once and forget it Sci-Fi action movie that is ok if there is absolutely nothing better to watch

Movie #21: Night Hunter 2018 (Amazon Prime)
    So ya got the ruggedly handsome Henry Cavill, the beautiful eyes of Alexandra Daddario, throw in Stanley Tucci, Nathan Fillion, and the masterful Ben Kingsley and you got your self one hell of a cast. It really is a 90's like killer thriller that seemed to be out of some throw away novel. In the end it is is the stellar cast that is the only reason to watch this movie.

Movie #22: Army of the Dead 2021 (Netflix)
    I recently watched Army of Thieves so decided to re-watch this one just for kicks to see Ludwig Diter story finished. This is the type of movie Zack Snyder needs to stay with. A great pop corn flick and I'm hoping that Snyder keep up with the "Army of" movies for Netflix as they are (to me anyway) very fun to watch.

Movie #23: Level Sixteen 2018 (Netflix)
    A low budget movie that uses every thing that it has wonderfully. With a 1984/Handmaidens Tale feel through much of it. A cast of girls that so a masterful job this was a very well done movie. I just wish that there would have been room to develop its characters more and some more back ground but you can only put so much in 102 min of movie.

Movie #24: The Last Duel 2021 (HBOMAX)
    Boston seemed crazy in the 1300s! This is a movie where the same story is told 3 times through the eyes of 3 different people. I was good but could have been better but the action sequences were awesome and top notch. Oddly Enough it was the presence of Ben Affleck that kept taking me out of the movie it is just type of role that thought I'd never see play and really hope I don't seen him in it again.

Movie #25: 12 Strong 2018 (HBOMAX)
    A good story and is deserving to be told but it could have been done just a little better. It is a vanilla type action movie that kind of left me bored that seems to have a cardboard supporting cast. really not much else to this movie than that. Hemsworth is serviceable as the lead. Michael Shannon is good, yet feels miscast. Michael Pena cracks a couple of jokes, but that’s it.

Movie #26: Lords of Dogtown 2005 (HBOMAX)
    This movie made me miss my teenage infatuation with skateboarding. Very well directed and and the performance buy the late great (and gone too soon) Heath Ledger was Steller. This is my first time watching this movie and at the end I had to ask myself why did I take so long to watch this movie. A great story about friendship and the pit falls of success.

Finished Movie number 5. I am doing better then I thought I would I lot of cold and crappy weather keeping me inside is helping.

5. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (2002) Dvd - This was another fun watch. I have enjoyed every Harry Potter movie I have seen.