Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Movie #8: Charade (Criterion DVD)
    A fun Hitchcock pastiche with Audrey Hepburn as a widow learning her husband’s secrets and Cary Grant as a stranger who gets involved. There are some solid twists, although it’s mainly a vehicle for two of the most charming people who have ever lived to have some fun, even if Grant is pretty obviously pushing sixty.
    8/10

Movie #9: A Night to Remember (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    I watched the Criterion blu-ray and it was excellent. It seems a bit too understated in the beginning, as it’s obvious that much of it is filmed on land sets that just as easily be in any hotel. But that does make for a nice contrast when everything goes to hell. Summed up my brother as part of the British mythmaking at a time when they lost India and were trying to preserve their sense of decency.
    9/10

Movie #10/ New Movie #7: Beetlejuice (Blu-Ray)
    It’s a bit odd that Beetlejuice is mainly a side character here, called to help one side in a comedic clash between ghosts and the new owners of their old house. The sets and make-up are great. There are some smart decisions with the family. It’s okay but it feels like its missing something.
    7/10

Movie #11/ New Movie #8: Super-Size Me (Amazon Prime)
    Whatever else you say about it, this is an accessible and entertaining documentary that makes its argument very well. Morgan Spurlock has a great presence, and has some fun with a catchy concept that he’s able to connect to bigger problems with American obesity.
    8/10

Movie #12/ New Movie #9: Scream (2022) (Movie Theater)
    As far as I’m concerned, there hasn’t been a bad Scream movie, so the series has an outstanding batting average. The self-conscious requel seems to be a love letter to the original. I like the new leads and how the original trio get involved. There are some clever meta bits as it plays with expectations, although sometimes that can make it hard to care about the characters when a bad guy is ranting about the meta reasons for their actions.
    7/10

Movie #13/ New Movie #10: The Warped Ones (Criterion DVD)
    It’s similar to a few other films about young criminals, but unique for its intensity (in 75 minutes) and just how depraved this particular angry young man is. He may be one of the most self-centered characters in film. Great jazz score and energetic cinematography.
    8/10

Movie #14/ New Movie #11: Belle (Movie Theater/ Subtitled)
    A beautiful reimagining of Beauty and the Beast, as well as an exploration of the good and ill of social media. It takes some interesting turns, and remains visually stunning throughout.
    8/10

Movie #15: The Apartment (Criterion DVD)
    One of the best dramadies ever made. It’s a great take on alienation in the big city with strong performances by Lemmon, Maclaine, Macmurray and the more obscure Jack Kruschen, who got a well-deserved Oscar nomination. It balances serious subject matter and humor astoundingly well with leads who are likable but not innocent.
    10/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My goal for this year is 200 full-length films, and at least 22 short movies. I think I've been ignoring those in the last few years.

Short Movie #1: Future Shock (Youtube)
    This documentary from fifty years ago about the rapid change of technology and culture really speaks to modern problems, as we’re going through similar problems today. It’s quite ahead of its time, a film from 1972 addressing gay marriage and the implications of artificial organs. It seems a bit pessimistic as some of the stuff is obviously worthwhile, although it is also a good time capsule about the expectations at the time.
    7/10

Movie #16: Through a Glass Darkly (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    Ingmar Bergman at his most intense. A young woman finds out that her father expects her schizophrenia to be incurable as she also anticipates an encounter with God. Things get very messed up. It’s one of the most messed up Bergman films, which may make it one of the most messed up films ever. Obviously fascinating, and deep, but it’s quite disturbing in terms of the taboos that are shattered. The cinematography and score are excellent.
    10/10

Movie #17: Blow-Up (Criterion DVD)
    This is an interesting film that plays with expectations in a weird way. I saw it in college and I thought it was slow, but that’s not quite accurate. It goes into minute detail about some intense stuff. It’s exceptional in two different ways. First, it’s likely the best film exploration of the mod scene in London. Second, it takes the trappings of a thriller but shows a very different reaction for a guy who finds himself at the corners of a murder mystery.
    10/10

Movie #18: In the Name of the Father (DVD)
    Obviously Daniel-Day-Lewis is very good in this, depicting Gerry Conlon at different stages, from a young loser to a new prisoner to a cause célèbre. The film itself covers a lot of ground pretty well, distinguished from most prison films by a twist that allows it to really explore the father-son relationship. Even without that, it’s a solid entry to the innocent prisoner canon.
    9/10

Short Movie #2: Game of Death Redux (Blu-Ray)
    I got the Bruce Lee Criterion box set as a birthday gift and am quite happy with it. I don’t know if I’m ever going to watch the full Game of Death, but this is the good stuff: the parts Bruce Lee filmed before his death, which are ultimately the climax of the movie. It’s a half hour of awesome fight scenes in different styles, with a hell of an introduction to Kamal Abdul Jabbar as the intimidating final bad guy and an excellent showcase for Bruce Lee, initially cocky and overpowering, until that last fight.
    9/10

Movie #19/ New Movie #12: The Music Room (Criterion DVD)
    It’s a well made film about a topic that I don’t necessarily enjoy, a tragic figure who allows his life to collapse because of his pride. There are lovely details, and while the protagonist is flawed, he does have his good qualities which adds nuance to the classical tragedy. There is also a great sense of the passing of an era.
    9/10

Short Movie #3: Meeting the Man: James Baldwin in Paris (Mubi)
    This is an interesting short documentary on several levels, for what Baldwin has to say, and his clash with the filmmakers who expect him to make a different movie.
    9/10

Short Movie #4: Godard- Love and Poetry (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    It’s a solid overview of Godard’s collaboration with Anna Karina, with decent commentary on the films, slightly hampered by the lack of behind the scenes material about their relationship. It’s a fine extra on the Criterion Pierrou Le Fou Blu-Ray, and provides excellent commentary on some of his films, though my favorite (Bande à part) gets short shrift.
    9/10

Movie #20: Nightmare Alley: Vision in Darkness and Light (Movie Theater)
    This time I watched the “Vision in Darkness and Light” black and white variant, which happened to be playing at my local theater, an odd decision since Nightmare Alley didn’t play in my local theater in December. I wouldn’t say the film is better in black and white, but it was a lovely experience. It worked rather well. One minor controversy about the film is the casting of Bradley Cooper, and whether he’s too old to play a guy who starts out as a carnie. He’s more of a contemporary of Toni Collette and Cate Blanchett, which gives some encounters a different energy. Most importantly, I don’t think a random younger actor would’ve played it better, but it sells the idea that he’s been looking for his shot for a while, and justifies his arrogance.

The film has a fantastic cast. Much of the promotion focuses on the latter half, when Cate Blanchett and higher society get involved, but it’s interesting in the first half to see the lives of the carnies. It’s not a perfect movie. The carnival scenes kept reminding me of an okay episode of the Simpsons, and some of the messages are simplistic, especially when it comes to spookshows and drinking. But it’s pretty good and builds to an excellent climax.
    8/10

Short Movie #5: I am Sergei Parajanov! (Youtube)
    It’s an okay primer on an eccentric and interesting filmmaker, largely in his own words, showing his other artistic pursuits (he was big on collages) and the deep injustice of his imprisonment.
    9/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default January in a rearview screen

01. Flesh For Frankenstein (1973) - ★★★★
    02. The Woman In Red (1984) - ★★★★
    03. Surviving Christmas (2004) - ★★★★
    04. The Campaign (2012) - ★★★★★
    05. Home Guards (2015) - ★★★★
    06. Liza The Fox-Fairy (2015) - ★★★★★
    07. Attraction (2017) - ★★★
    08. Shock Wave (2017) - ★★★★
    09. The Guardians (2017) - ★★★
    10. Gypsy In Space (2018) - ★★★★★
    11. Kung Fu League (2018) - ★★★
    12. The Troupe (2018) - ★★★
    13. Pinocchio (2019) - ★★★★
    14. Snatchers (2019) - ★★★★
    15. The Balkan Line (2019) - ★★★★
    16. Dear Mother (2020) - ★★★
    17. Deliver Us From Evil (2020) - ★★★★★
    18. Invasion (2020) - ★★★
    19. Kajillionaire (2020) - ★★★
    20. Occupation: Rainfall (2020) - ★★★★
    21. The One And Only Ivan (2020) - ★★★★
    22. The Red Ghost (2020) - ★★★★★
    23. Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020) - ★★★
    24. Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) - ★★★
    25. Detective Chinatown 3 (2021) - ★★★★★
    26. South Of Heaven (2021) - ★★★
    27. Titane (2021) - ★★★★
    28. Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) - ★★★★★
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Getting off to a slow start this year...

1. Night at the Opera (1935) - Classic Marx brothers. Few comics today can match the breakneck speed of their comedy
    2. Sons of the Desert (1933) - An interesting thing about some of the Laurel & Hardy shorts is that they are frequently domestic comedies with Stan and Ollie as henpecked husbands. This is a feature length film with the boys sneaking off to a convention in Chicago and paying for the consequences when they get home.
    3. Robin and Marian (1976) A Richard Lester film starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn as the title characters. They make a charming couple with Robert Shaw playing the villain of the piece, the Sheriff of Nottingham. We see these characters at a later stage in life. Robin has returned from the Crusades as a disillusioned by serving under King Richard the Lionhart (played by Richard Harris) who is more interested in extorting ransoms than any true Crusade. During Robin's long absence Marian as become a nun and is more angered than joyful about his return.
    4. Three Musketeers (1973) Another Richard Lester directed film that revisits the Three Musketeers novel but with a more upbeat tone than his Robin and Marian. Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Frank Finlay and Michael York play the musketeers. Raquel Welch plays the sweet and somewhat clumsy Constance. I liked the tone of this movie and it is a lot of fun to watch.
    5. Spider-Man No Way Home (2021) Saw this at the theater and this is another winner for Marvel. I really enjoyed seeing this with a live audience, who were really pumped to see the 3 Spider-Man actors get together. All of them were great and it was fun to seen Alfred Molina and Willam DeFoe return as Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin.
    6. Gravity (2013) I had seen this movie a couple of years ago on cable and watched it again. Sandra Bullock does a fine job of carrying the movie IMO with George Clooney as her fellow astronaut. It really captures the claustrophic feeling of being and a space capsule orbiting the Earth while also worrying about dodging a debris field.
    7. The Lovely Bones (2009) This is a very depressing film to watch. Directed by Peter Jackson, it is a narrated by a young teen who is raped and murdered by a serial killer who lives a couple of doors down from their home. She observes events after her death from a sort of place that can be quite heaven-like but can switch to something darkly menacing as she recalls her death. Eventually we get a happy ending and the murdered gets punished by fate but it takes a lot to get there.
    8. The Eternals (2021) For me, this was probably the least entertaining of all the Marvel movies. I think Iron Man 3 is better than this. The cast just doesn't gel to me and even worse it doesn't seem to evoke much of Jack Kirby's work.
    9. Highlander (1986) This is another repeat viewing of a movie I had seen years ago. Not a great movie but I still find it entertaining. And it has part of the score done by Queen.
    10. Nightmare Alley (2021) - A Best Picture nominee directed by Guillermo del Toro, this entry is based of the novel by William Lindsay Gresham. We follow the main character Stanton Carlisle as he hooks up to a traveling carnival and the world of phony "sprititualism". viewed on HBO
    11. Nightmare Alley (1947) This version I saw on Turner Classics movie and they tied it in to the remake. The host of the show "Noir Alley" recounted how after reading the book lead actor Tyrone Power asked producer Darryl Zanuch to get for the rights the film so that he could play the lead. This version changes the ending however whereas the del Toro sticks to the book's version according to Muller. I've not read it but will be adding it to my reading list.
    12. Doomed - The Untold Story of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four Film (2015) Stumbled across this on one of the streaming channels (IMDB IIRC) and found this to be a fascinating, funny and sad accounting of the Fantastic Four film that never was.
    13. Antlers This movie is another take on the Wendigo legend. My second Guillermo del Toro on the list but this time as producer. This movie has the usual high production values but the story just misses for me. But there are a number of effectively creepy and frightening scenes.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-21-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Movie #27: In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
    Movie #28: J. Edgar (2011)
    Movie #29: American Sniper (2014)
    Movie #30: Lone Survivor (2013)
    Movie #31: Meat Loaf: To Hell and Back (2000)
    Movie #32: War Horse (2011)
    Movie #33: Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021)
    Movie #34: Amistad (1997)
    Movie #35: A House on the Bayou (2021)
    Movie #36: Movie 43 (2013)
    Movie #37: Maggie (2015)
    Movie #38: The Silencing (2020)
    Movie #39: Daughter of the Wolf (2019)
    Movie #40: The 24Th (2020)
    Movie #41: Into the Forest (2015)
    Movie #42: Dark Places (2015)
    Movie #43: Queen of the Damned (2002)
    Movie #44: Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)
    Movie #45: Ma (2019)
    Movie #46: The King's Man (2021)
    Movie #47: Uncharted (2022)
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I just brought up film no. 25 with a re-watch of an old favourite, Dirty Harry. This means I am still on track to hit 150 by the end of the year.

Films watched so far:

1) Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
    2) No Time to Die (2021)
    3) Foolproof (2003)
    4) Targets (1968)
    5) West Side Story (2021)
    6) Side Sho (2007)
    7) Southbound (2015)
    8) Man Hunt (1941)
    9) The Big Night (1951)
    10) The Speckled Band (1931)
    11) Six-Gun Savior (2016)
    12) The Heist (1989)
    13) Man in the Attic (1953)
    14) May (2002)
    15) The Atomic Brain (1963)
    16) Botched (2007)
    17) Witchboard (1986)
    18) Sapphire (1959)
    19) I Am Not a Serial Killer (2016)
    20) For Your Consideration (2006)
    21) In the Footsteps of Sherlock Holmes (1996)
    22) The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936)
    23) Bad Girls from Valley High (2005)
    24) Santa Claus (1959)
    25) Dirty Harry (1971)

(And no, Side Sho is not a typo. That's the actual title, coming from a roadside sideshow where the 'W' has fallen off the sign. Not that I would recommend anyone actually watch this piece of garbage.)

Two more movies for the year. I am going pretty slow on the movie front but I dont watch alot of them any way so I am happy with what I have so far.

6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) Dvd

7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) Dvd
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Default February in a rearview screen

29. Daylight (1996) - ★★★★
    30. Anatomy (2000) - ★★★★
    31. Anatomy 2 (2003) - ★★★
    32. Young Adam (2003) - ★★★
    33. Dream House (2011) - ★★★★
    34. Gallowwalkers (2012) - ★★★
    35. Safe House (2012) - ★★★★
    36. Veteran (2015) - ★★★★
    37. The Dare (2019) - ★★★★
    38. The Rookies (2019) - ★★★
    39. The Tunnel (2019) - ★★★
    40. The Owners (2020) - ★★★
    41. Triggered (2020) - ★★★★
    42. Hard Hit (2021) - ★★★★
    43. Last Survivors (2021) - ★★★
    44. Licorice Pizza (2021) - ★★★
    45. The Many Saints Of Newark (2021) - ★★★
    46. Restless (2022) - ★★★★
    47. Shattered (2022) - ★★★
    48. The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure (2022) - ★★★★
    49. WarHunt (2022) - ★★★
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Movie #48: Deathgasm (2015)
    Movie #49: Warm Bodies (2013)
    Movie #50: Nightmare Alley (2021)
    Movie #51: Free Guy (2021)
    Movie #52: Unforgiven (1992)
    Movie #53: Pale Rider (1985)
    Movie #54: Barbarosa (1982)
    Movie #55: Silence (2016)
    Movie #56: Leprechaun (1993)
    Movie #57: Django Unchained (2012)
    Movie #58: Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)
    Movie #59: Smokin’ Aces (2006)
    Movie #60: American Insurrection (2021)
    Movie #61: Carriers (2009)
    Movie #62: Take Me Home Tonight (2011)
    Movie #63: Candyman (2021)
    Movie #64: The East (2013)
    Movie #65: The Green Knight (2021)
    Movie #66: Judas and the Black Messiah (2021)
    Movie #67: War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
    Movie #68: Empire of the Sun (1987)
    Movie #69: 42 (2013)
    Movie #70: Donnie Darko (2001)
    Movie #71: The Conspirator (2010)

Default March in a rearview screen

50. Dead Man Down (2013) - ★★★★
    51. Freaks Out (2020) - ★★★★★
    52. Shock Wave 2 (2020) - ★★★★
    53. A House On The Bayou (2021) - ★★★
    54. A Writer's Odyssey (2021) - ★★★
    55. House Of Gucci (2021) - ★★★
    56. Supercool (2021) - ★★★
    57. The Cursed (2021) - ★★★
    58. The Innocents (2021) - ★★★★
    59. Black Crab (2022) - ★★★★
    60. Fresh (2022) - ★★★★
    61. Run & Gun (2022) - ★★★
    62. Special Delivery (2022) - ★★★
    63. Studio 666 (2022) - ★★★★
    64. The Adam Project (2022) - ★★★★
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Movie#72: Scream (2022)
    Movie#73: Horrible Bosses (2011)
    Movie#74: Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)
    Movie#75: This Is Where I Leave You (2014)
    Movie#76: Lincoln (2012)
    Movie#77: There Will Be Blood (2007)
    Movie#78: Say Anything… (1989)
    Movie#79: Pretty in Pink (1986)
    Movie#80: Pump Up the Volume (1990)
    Movie#81: The Legend of Billie Jean (1985)
    Movie#82: Dune (2021)
    Movie#83: Max Steel (2016)
    Movie#84: Sinister (2012)
    Movie#85: Hereditary (2018)
    Movie#86: Sinister 2 (2015)
    Movie#87: Midsommar (2019)
    Movie#88: Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    Movie#89: The Purge (2013)
    Movie#90: The Witch (2015)
    Movie#91: John Dies at the End (2012)
    Movie#92: Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
    Movie#93: Heathers (1989)
    Movie#94: The Starving Games (2013)
    Movie#95: Morbius (2022)
    Movie#96: The Adam Project (2022)
    Movie#97: Krull (1983)
    Movie#98: Hawk the Slayer (1980)
    Movie#99: The Ice Pirates (1984)
    Movie#100: Sixteen Candles (1984)

This year I’ve gotten involved into some annual film challenges. One is to watch 52 particular Criterion movies, and the other is to watch four movies each from multiple movements. For this entry, I went with New Hollywood, the French New Wave and the Czech New Wave. There were also quite a few films that were nominated for the recent Academy Awards.

Movie #21/ New Movie #13: Parallel Mothers
    (Movie Theater)
    It’s a drama about two women who meet in a maternity ward and form a bond in the ensuing years, and it does take some really interesting turns. Penelope Cruz is excellent, selling some decisions that might seem a little weird in lesser hands. Milena Smit works in a different register, that makes for a worthy contrast. Aitana Sánchez-Gijón has some unexpected depth as her mother, a middle-aged actress with a very non-cliched arc of finding success late in life. There are some great themes in the film in the exploration of atrocities in living memory in Spain, and what that means going forward, which causes some conflicts for the two mothers, who have different feelings on the matter. There’s a relationship that develops that seems a bit out of place, and that seems to touch on some cultural landmines. I’m curious that no one appears to have called it out.
    9/10

Movie #22: Spider-Man No Way Home (Movie Theater)
    Still loved it.
    10/10

Movie #23/ New Movie #14: Take the Money and Run (DVD)
    This is an excellent comedy about an inept criminal. It is a big odd to see Woody Allen when he’s this young, even if at this point, he’s in his mid 30s. He has some fun with the mockumentary style, and there are some great gags. It shows that he could’ve gone in a different comedic direction quite successfully.
    8/10

Movie #24/ New Movie #15: Belfast (Movie Theater)
    It’s very obviously an Oscarbait film, as a director recalls his upbringing during a tumultuous time, where he found comfort in the movies. But is is very well told, getting across a child’s view of the world while still keeping everything interesting. I also really like that the film is under a hundred minutes, even if it has four supporting performances good enough to potentially get Oscar nominations (two did.)
    10/10

Movie #25/ New Movie #16: Westworld (Blu-Ray)
    The sci-fi western does a great job of worldbuilding, so I can understand how it’s the basis of a hit show. But it’s also able to tell a satisfying story of people trying to survive robots gone amuck.
    7/10

Movie #26/ New Movie #17: Death Race 2000 (Blu-Ray)
    The dystopian road movie about a race where the goal is to kill innocent bystanders is ridiculous but fun. It kinda sells the world where this is entertainment. I’d like to see a remake poking fun at the modern media environment with Stallone as President.
    7/10

Movie #27/ New Movie #18: Belladonna of Sadness (Blu-Ray)
    This is a very strange medieval fantasy anime. It’s often lovely if barely animated. It’s quite psychedelic and definitely not for everyone as the plot synopsis makes clear. It sells the harshness of the world and why someone would make the decision to become a witch.
    9/10

Movie #28/ New Movie #19: La Liste- Everything or Nothing (Movie Theater)
    It’s a beautifully shot documentary, which might be expected given the subject matter (skiers trying to find increasingly inaccessible heights.) It’s notable for how seriously the people take their pursuit and the acknowledgement of the risks, as well as the messy question of whether it is worthwhile. A rescue sequence is a highlight of the film, and we see the lengthy recovery afterwards.
    8/10

Movie #29: Don’t Look Back (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    It may be a bit odd to go into this cold, as the initial audience would understand in the context of the time in a way that’s easy for us to forget. This is Bob Dylan at his creative peak, pushing against expectations, a little bit prickly due to the pressure he’s under, fan backlash and that he’s surrounded by people who don’t care about the consequences of their actions as he does. But it’s a great example of what documentaries can do very well, showcasing an iconic figure (one of the most fascinating people on the planet) at an interesting time.
    10/10

Movie #30: Enter the Dragon (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    It’s fun. It’s probably the best fighting tournament film, as well as the best display of Bruce Lee’s talents. Much of what the film does had been surpassed, but there is no other Bruce Lee, and his partners in crime are pretty decent here.
    10/10

Movie #31/ New Movie #20: The Batman (Movie Theater)
    It’s a well done film, although it kinda feels like a comic book; the first arc of a new creative team shaking up a series that already has some history. It was probably a smart idea not to show the things we’ve seen before in every Batman adaptation, but there is a sense that some developments are unearned. We care about the legacy of Bruce’s parents because we’ve liked their depiction in other stories. It’s also a bit derivative, feeling like a superhero version of R-rated thrillers like Zodiac and Seven. There’s a decent conspiracy at the heart of it, and I like Pattinson and Kravitz’s chemistry, along with the arc for the Batman. The film just doesn’t wow me, but it’s perfectly okay.
    7/10

Movie #32/ New Movie #21: Pierrou le Fou (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    This is an excellent vehicle for Godard, his best male lead and his best female lead. It is the stereotypically avant-garde director at the height of his powers: weird, experimental and fun. Obviously the politics are radically left-wing, although he gets across the ridiculousness of some of the people on this earnest adventure. It could easily be in Godard’s top five, along with Breathless, Vivre Sa Vie, Band of Outsiders and Contempt, even if it is only my third favorite Godard/ Marina collaboration. It might still be the best example of 60s pop art in film.
    9/10

Movie #33/ New Movie #22: The Haunted Strangler/ In the Grip of the Strangler (Criterion DVD)
    It’s a clever concept dealing with the aftermath of the serial killer’s arrest, with Boris Karloff playing a novelist who thinks there’s something more to the story. It takes some turns, with a major twist when the film has half an hour to go, and it has some fun with that twist. It may be better to see it knowing as little as possible. It’s nice that Karloff had this showcase. It’s curious that there haven’t been recent horror movies about stranglers. I guess it’s all slashers now.
    8/10.

Movie #34: Persona (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    It’s the master of psychological drama at his most ambitious and complex. It’s a showcase for what film is capable of, as well as the talents of Bibi Andersson (who has to do much of the heavy lifting) and Liv Ullman. It might just be the best two-hander in film.
    10/10

Movie #35: American Hustle (DVD)
    It feels like imitation Scorsese, but the cast is excellent. I’m not sure Jennifer Lawrence or Amy Adams have ever been better, and it’s a solid con artist film elevated by an understanding of the consequences of an effort to destroy seemingly corrupt politicians, as well as the interpersonal dynamics. It’s a fun film that manages to be meaningful.
    9/10

Movie #36/ New Movie #23: The 49th Parallel (Criterion DVD)
    It’s interesting how British propaganda efforts seem so much better than those of the Soviets. There’s something worth exploring in that. The story of Nazis stranded in Canada taking hostages takes some unusual but satisfying turns, and works as a showcase for Canada and the different ways people find meaning. The focus on the invaders is timely given the horrors going on right now in Ukraine.
    9/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Movie #37/ New Movie #24: Elevator to the Gallows
    (Criterion DVD)
    This is an excellent unconventionally paced noir. The murder happens in the first 15 minutes. The antihero then makes a serious mistake, which accidentally leads to another crime spree. Jeanne Moreau is exceptional, compelling as the lovestruck mistress, but gaining more agency towards the end as she makes one last effort to save the day (a messy effort as the situation begins with her boyfriend murdering her wealthy husband.) The only better artist in the film (not a knock on the director or the male lead) is Miles Davis, who provides the incredible soundtrack.
    9/10

Movie #38: Band of Outsiders (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    This may remain my favorite Godard film. Watching it this time, I had a real appreciation for its influence on Quentin Tarantino. It is a fun hang-out movie, with a complex take on the dynamics of the two guys and a girl who get involved in a major crime, but who are so much fun to spend time with before that happens, even as we recognize they’re willingness to betray one another.
    10/10

Movie #39/ New Movie #25: Active Measures (Youtube)
    It does sometimes feel like a really long, although well-done campaign ad. It’s an overview of Putin’s involvement in politics in multiple countries, as well as potential connections to Trump. Some parts of it have not aged well (theories about Jeff Sessions) and some parts of it are more relevant than ever, especially the sections on Ukraine. They are generally careful to make the distinction between smoke and fire, and there is a lot of smoke. It’s also notable how quickly some stuff is glossed over that could easily be its own film (IE- Brexit) because it’s a look at a grand conspiracy. It’s not quite accurate to say it’s a conspiracy theory, because while there are some unresolved questions, it covers a lot of sketchy stuff that is confirmed.
    8/10

Movie #40/ New Movie #26: The Young Girls of Rochefort (Criterion DVD)
    This musical is just so much fun. It plays around with expectations in interesting ways, sometimes seeming like things are going one way time while instead going in an unexpected (in a pleasant way) direction. An hour into it, there are three couples deeply in love but unaware of just how close they are to their soulmates. It’s a great companion to Umbrellas from Chersbourg, not quite on that level but simply joyous.
    9/10

Movie #41/ New Movie #27: Touki Bouki (Criterion DVD)
    This takes the formula from films like Breathless or Mean Streets (Scorsese has played a big role in the restoration efforts for Touki Bouki) of applying post-French New Wave energy to a story about young protagonists, but setting it all in Senegal makes something new.
    9/10

Movie #42/ New Movie #28: The Phantom of Morrisville (DVD)
    This is just fun, a parody of chamber mysteries which plays around with set design and has some great sequences (the early hints of the titular phantom, a gag involving a baron’s dog.)
    7/10

Movie #43/ New Movie #29: Drive My Car (Movie Theater)
    This is a strange but satisfying very arthouse take on communication and the making of art. The avant-garde approach to performances (an Asian adaptation of a Russian play in which each actor uses their natural language) is a dynamic that is used well.
    9/10

Movie #44/ New Movie #30: Power of the Dog (Movie Theater)
    This one is dark but I loved it. The score and cinematography are beautiful, but it’s otherwise a clash within a family where everyone is more complex than is apparent. The performances deserved the Oscar nominations, and it’s certainly worth discussing. There is a criticism than Benedict Cumberbatch is basically playing at being a great cowboy, rather than the real thing, but that approach works quite well here.
    10/10

Movie #45: The Loves of a Blonde (Criterion DVD)
    This Forman piece shows what the Czech New Wave does best, capturing the awkwardness of young people in romantic entanglements, parents dealing with the fallout and administrators trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    8/10

Movie #46: Dune: Part One (Movie Theater)
    It definitely deserved the craft awards at the Oscars. I’ve been seeing it in theaters a lot. The worldbuilding is astonishing. The effects and soundtrack are amazing. The cast is quite decent. It’s the most exciting Triple-A Sci-Fi/ fantasy adaptation in film since Lord of the Rings.
    9/10

Movie #47/ New Movie #31: Coda (Movie Theater)
    Sometimes this feels like a two part special episode of Glee. It would be a decent special episode, but there are some false notes here which make me suspect it’s the weakest Best Picture winner in about a decade. There’s still some good stuff. The family dynamics are excellent, and Troy Kotsur gave one of the most valuable supporting performances ever.
    8/10

Movie #48/ New Movie #32: Black Peter (DVD)
    Milos Forman’s directorial debut feels raw and unpolished, which is a decent fit for the topic; a somewhat aimless teenager starts a job and tries to figure out what he’s supposed to do in work and love.
    8/10

Movie #49/ New Movie #33: Encanto (Disney Plus)
    It has some similar themes to recent Disney work, so it might seem a bit derivative. But it may also be the best realization of those themes, with some great songs, and a decent conflict with a gifted family potentially losing everything.
    10/10

Movie #50/ New Movie #34: The Cremator (Criterion DVD)
    Mr. Kopfrking may just be the nastiest villain in the films of the Czech new wave. Early on, there’s a good sense of unease with the family man cremator hinting at flaws that go beyond his enthusiasm for his job. There is a decent sense of unreality to all of it. Worthwhile for fans of black humor and horror.
    9/10

With the Oscars coming out, it was an opportunity to catch up on major contenders. I did prefer Power of the Dog to CODA, and still think Spider-Man: No Way Home got robbed.

Morbius was the 51st film I saw this year, and weaker than anything I’ve seen in this batch of movies
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default April in a rearview screen

65. Barbarians (2021) - ★★★
    66. The Burning Sea (2021) - ★★★
    67. The Sadness (2021) - ★★★★
    68. The Turning Point (2021) - ★★★
    69. Wyrmwood: Apocalypse (2021) - ★★★
    70. Deep Water (2022) - ★★★
    71. Metal Lords (2022) - ★★★★
    72. No Exit (2022) - ★★★
    73. The Cellar (2022) - ★★★
    74. Virus-32 (2022) - ★★★
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once in the theatre and have to recommend highly, if you like hilarious, martial arts, trippy, multi-universe twisting, family drama, and all around amazing!

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1900921...f_=ext_shr_lnk
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?