Page 128 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 3557
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Of course, I'm just messing around, I know they're the feathered serpent god. But I mean, dems a lotta serpents. Naga is grinning somewhere.
    LOL. True, very true. Which makes me wonder if we are going to get Lemuria? I mean, we did have that ship in that Cap movie called the Lemuria Star.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Lemuria is a looong shot, but anything's possible. Where would it be? What culture would they graft onto it?

As for the spear, I don't know if I'd say those were buttons, let look like ornamental bumps to help grip. I could be wrong, of course. The more interesting one, is the block off the side of the spear directly above Namor's thumb.

Lemuria is a looong shot, but anything's possible. Where would it be? What culture would they graft onto it?

As for the spear, I don't know if I'd say those were buttons, let look like ornamental bumps to help grip. I could be wrong, of course. The more interesting one, is the block off the side of the spear directly above Namor's thumb.
    You mean the stacked discs? I thought those were like a hand guard / stop to keep his hands from slipping too far. Do you think they might be something that extends? Or maybe the spear breaks off at that point? That would make the bumps more like grips, so he could use the top half, even two handed.

I don't think we'll get Lemuria in this movie. But I think it is interesting that it has entered the awareness of modern cultures, whereas Talocan hasn't. Or perhaps it is just a mythic references, like naming a ship Hera or Olympia.

They'd choose an Asian culture, I'm sure, unless they are planning to move it out of the Pacific.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I'm thinkin/hoping Director Coogler will contrast the technology cultures of Wakanda and Talocan/Atlantis as Metal/Artifice (Wakanda) and Bone/Organic (Talocan) and that the undersea tech will be akin to Asgard where the science is so advanced that its explained by some as "magical".

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think we might get some of the undersea society, but the tech ... well, all we've seen is them riding whales. I mean, that's cool, (it reminds me of the Fremen on the Sand Snakes from Dune) but I haven't seen any tech, other than their face masks.
    I hope we see some technology, but I'm not holding my breath. (nyuk nyuk) I'm sure we'll see some type of technology in terms of lifestyle and even maybe even like special weaponry, but in terms of great civilizational technology, I don't know. I get the feeling we wont. Part of the reason is, what we're seeing is Namor and this not-Atlantis isn't just influenced, descended or evolved from pre-Columbian Maya, but the ancient culture seems to have been dropped, whole cloth, right on top of this version of Namor/Atlantis. As if they're walking out of some sort of time-warp. They're wearing ancient tribal cultural stone jewelry, wearing clothing full of animal materials, teeth, bones, skin, fins, etc. They're riding animals, using clubs and spears and even still using hieroglyphics. In Namor's throne room shot, the people, including Namor, are wearing loin cloths, stone jewelry and the seaweed headdress. The MCU is basically going to use ancient Mayan culture and then give them like laser spears, or some sort of little "techie" like weapons, and air breathing reverse scuba gear, and then be like, Bam, see? They're super advanced?

I hope I'm wrong and Namor raises some super battleship from the sea and aims it towards Wakanda, or whatever territory they're fighting over, but I'm not sure that'll happen. I think Namor himself will be this Atlantis' super weapon.

To be fair to the film, this has been an ongoing issue within the comics that also drives me insane. Is Atlantis the most advanced society on earth or is is full of neo-tribal like people with spears and animal mounts? Creators can't seem to resist having Atlanteans riding sharks, and dolphins and all kinds of goofy ****, which was silly even in the early Silver Age. Where are the tanks? Speeders? Ships and cruisers? Flying jet like vessels? Back in the day, both Namor and Dorma had personal ships/cruisers. Namor provided the fighter ship for the Invaders and their adventures. The Silver Age Atlanteans had spears and swords, sure, but they also had all kinds of crazy technology, lasers, bombs, even regular soldiers had personal sidearms. I remember Namor picking up a laser rifle and firing at (Attuma's troops I think) and emboldening his men. Where is this stuff? Why aren't the Atlanteans living in a real modern or futuristic city? Why aren't they being shown in personal vehicles like undersea speeders that are like their own versions of cars and motorbikes? Why doesn't it look more like a beautiful undersea utopia married to Blade Runner cyberpunk? It should be if we are lead to believe this culture is beyond the rest of the world and has been for centuries.

TL;DR: Stop. Riding. Animal. Mounts.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'm thinkin/hoping Director Coogler will contrast the technology cultures of Wakanda and Talocan/Atlantis as Metal/Artifice (Wakanda) and Bone/Organic (Talocan) and that the undersea tech will be akin to Asgard where the science is so advanced that its explained by some as "magical".
    That could be an interesting take. I do think that Talocan will have a more mystical vibe, with a more direct connection to their religion / gods. There appears to be more ritual / ceremonial references, what with Namor's Feathered Serpent head dress, the way he is treated, and I hope, the way he was born. I mean, being born in a reed enclosure with a midwife, doesn't exactly scream advanced technology to me. But it could be a ritual birth or it could be Princess Fen was banished.

That said, there has to be something Talocan has that makes it think it can win a war with Wakanda... though clearly water manipulation is a big thing. Of course, HOW that is done is the question. And we know they also have something powerful, because they didn't want it revealed. Lots of questions.

Oh, I forgot to mention ... this comes out today, I believe. And the Shark Girl story is supposed to have Namor in it.

OMG. I don't even know what these are but they are so cute! Like Chibis! I MUST HAVE THEM!

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Prepare for the Nerdrotics, Critical Drinkers, Geeks and Gamers etc to use Namor to help generate content. They are going to tear apart the MCU version as more woke material instead of source material.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

As far as Talocan's tech. Dont expect too much.

Like with BP in Civil War they probably are going to want whatever director or showrunner who works on the Namor solo project to infuse their own style.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

OMG. I don't even know what these are but they are so cute! Like Chibis! I MUST HAVE THEM!

I want that Namor with his headdress!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I want that Namor with his headdress!
    He looks fabulous, but I want all four of the Talocans and maybe Queen Ramonda, cause she too, is fabulous. I love how non-head dress Namor is so grumpy! And Namora's head dress also looks amazing here.

I looked these up and apparently they are like key chains, but probably more suited to clipping to a back pack or maybe a phone or something. Sadly, they come in blind packs for about $7 or $8 bucks apiece, so you don't know what you are getting until you open them. Kind of like the the little vinyl Namor that was in the FF boxes from Gamestop. However, if you look around on eBay or places like that, you can find them outside of the pack and will know what you are getting. I'm contemplating buying a box and selling off what I don't want. If I do so, I'll let folks here know.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Prepare for the Nerdrotics, Critical Drinkers, Geeks and Gamers etc to use Namor to help generate content. They are going to tear apart the MCU version as more woke material instead of source material.
    There's a case to be made that what they did with Namor/Atlantis is extremely cynical and had a certain goal/view in mind that I find troublesome, but there's an even bigger case to be made that the loudest people complaining don't know a damn thing about Namor to begin with. I feel, as someone who's read Sub-Mariner since I was kid, that I have issues and grievances with the choices they've made for this film, but I don't want Youtube professional complainer types on my side. The people using Namor as an excuse to continue the seemingly endless culture wars, have no real interest in the character. I can have legit criticisms of the choices made for the film, but still hope it's good and that they, at the very least, try to get to the core of who Namor is.

He looks fabulous, but I want all four of the Talocans and maybe Queen Ramonda, cause she too, is fabulous. I love how non-head dress Namor is so grumpy! And Namora's head dress also looks amazing here.

I looked these up and apparently they are like key chains, but probably more suited to clipping to a back pack or maybe a phone or something. Sadly, they come in blind packs for about $7 or $8 bucks apiece, so you don't know what you are getting until you open them. Kind of like the the little vinyl Namor that was in the FF boxes from Gamestop. However, if you look around on eBay or places like that, you can find them outside of the pack and will know what you are getting. I'm contemplating buying a box and selling off what I don't want. If I do so, I'll let folks here know.
    I have one of these from a different franchise. They're like 2-3 inches tall, and do have clips for bags or keychains. They're kinda soft vinylish, bit squishy.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I will catch up on the chat later but so far my reactions to those little toys are: Awww! I want them all.

Doombot, see this is where you and I differ in regards to Atlantis/Animals/Tech etc. I personally love the fantasy element of the Atlanteans riding whales, using giant sea creatures to help with their day to day work, etc. I find it no different than people using horses, or elephants back in the day, and other land animals for work purposes. These days we don't so much because it's all tech, but for me Atlantis has always been in a sort of slow decay, at one point they were the MOST advanced people on the earth before the Fall, but I always felt as though they lost so much knowledge and Tech that it has taken them centuries to get back within arms reach of that former glory and over time they have adapted to their undersea world. I would want more tech though, to be shown in the movie, but I loved the imagery of them riding the whale in the trailer, it took my breath away. Also Namor and his people having a connection where they care for the sea and its creatures and in return they aid them is always something I love to see. It's definitely been shown in the comics that they have sea animals they use like this, I know we all don't really count the teen Namor series as pure canon since it doesn't line up with the og canon, but the fantasical natural elements and stuff they used for the Atlanteans was a highlight of that series. Namor himself has ridden killer whales, etc. I do hope we get the Atlantean Flagship at some point, or even Alex Ross's mechanical crabs from MARVELS

Tales to Astonish #98

(Rev if you want to DM me on tumblr, I can link you to the Empire Article, since I'm not sure if it would work in this boards message features.)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I have one of these from a different franchise. They're like 2-3 inches tall, and do have clips for bags or keychains. They're kinda soft vinylish, bit squishy.
    I was wondering. One place said they were foam?? Which would kind of explain the squishy. That's a little bigger than I thought they would be, but that allows for more details, so that's would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    (Rev if you want to DM me on tumblr, I can link you to the Empire Article, since I'm not sure if it would work in this boards message features.)
    Let me clear out my messages and will do. Thanks!