Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    What is that, where'd you get it?

The little good will I had just tanked.

I'm 95% sure the headpiece is a snake.
    Serpent Crown?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Kino. I wasn't really fan of this interpretation of Namor, but this makes it a lot more interesting to me.
    An aquatic race ruled by an avatar of the JAGUAR god??? How does that even happen?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    An aquatic race ruled by an avatar of the JAGUAR god??? How does that even happen?
    I’m guessing it’s a holdover from before Atlantis sank and the Jaguar god decided not to forsake its followers?

Marvel gods are very inconsistent on their customer service

What is that, where'd you get it?

The little good will I had just tanked.

I'm 95% sure the headpiece is a snake.
    It does sort of look like a snake, which would line up with the Feathered Serpent. But people are saying it is the Jaguar god, Tezcatlipoca. Which apparently is Aztec NOT Mayan, so they are already messing up. It does look like that alleged Wakanda Forever crew swag.

I got it off Twitter, which is saying this is more concept art / the second costume for Namor.

Fanwars are definitely on the horizon.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Serpent Crown?
    If it is a snake ...
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Niffleheim

What happened to the rumor that Namor is no longer Atlantean he is now Aztec? So that he is not mistaken for Aquaman.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Tezcatlipoca, Lord of the Night Sky & Winds. Sounds about right for a Sea King.

The Atzec were such a young/resent civilization, it doesn't lend itself well to the beyond ancient Atlanteans. At least the Maya has traces back to more ancient times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    What happened to the rumor that Namor is no longer Atlantean he is now Aztec? So that he is not mistaken for Aquaman.
    Apparently it isn't a rumor any longer, from this merch. Though only an idiot would confuse Namor with Aquaman.

Namor and the former Atlanteans are allegedly going to be Mayan, I believe, not Aztec. But things being reported are messed up.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-02-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Tezcatlipoca, Lord of the Night Sky & Winds. Sounds about right for a Sea King.

The Atzec were such a young/resent civilization, it doesn't lend itself well to the beyond ancient Atlanteans. At least the Maya has traces back to more ancient times.
    Yes, but if they are going with the Aztec jaguar god, they are already and having them speak Mayan, they are already messing things up.

And again. Jaguars and feathers? Underwater??? It's worse than the ermine cloak.

Niffleheim

Apparently it isn't a rumor any longer, from this merch. Though only an idiot would confuse Namor with Aquaman.

Namor and the former Atlanteans are allegedly going to be Mayan, I believe, not Aztec. But things being reported are messed up.
    I remember when I read it somewhere they were saying that Marvel didn't want to repeat the Atlantis story again.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I was being sarcastic, a Sea King being the avatar of a Night Sky god is strange.

Ah well, it's the usual MCU garbage, I just wish it wasn't happening to Namor. People wait decades to see Namor in live action media and get a Mesoamerican "Avatar".

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Tenoch Huerta said in an interview that he learned Mayan for the film so yeah the Atlanteans should definitely be Mayan. But still why tf would people that live underwater worship a Jaguar god?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Yes, but if they are going with the Aztec jaguar god, they are already and having them speak Mayan, they are already messing things up.

And again. Jaguars and feathers? Underwater??? It's worse than the ermine cloak.
    To be fair, the image of the headdress does not have feathers. They're plant leaves, possibly seaweed. Still,.. lol
    Last edited by Doombot; 07-02-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I remember when I read it somewhere they were saying that Marvel didn't want to repeat the Atlantis story again.
    One of the rumor mongers said that the MCU was going to make Namor and Atlantis Aztec because they didn't think movie goers could tell the difference between Aquaman and Namor. There has been nothing official said by anyone associated with the movie. This merch is the first confirmation that Namor is indeed going to be in the movie and that they've completely trashed 83 years of the character's history.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I think Tenoch Huerta said in an interview that he learned Mayan for the film so yeah the Atlanteans should definitely be Mayan. But still why tf would people that live underwater worship a Jaguar god?
    Yes, according to an interview with Vice. The alleged casting calls for WF also called for indigenous actors or actors that could speak Mayan ... or Spanish.

If Namor and Atlantis were to be based off of a RL culture and not the classic Greco Roman ones which ones would you have gone with?

Wouldn't it make more sense to base Atlantis off of a real life tropical society? Polyenisan is likely off the table because it would invite more comparisons with Mamoa's Aquaman.

But still there are tons of cultures that have a connection/mythology with the sea. Look at the Carribeans, Indonesia, Kerala (India) and many other South Asian country or basically any society that lives near a coast.

This just sounds like Marvel overcompensating trying to compete with DC (even though the latter is far behind) and are going to end up with an egg on their face instead. And that's even before we get into how Chadwick's death and Letitia being anti-vacc has already messed up this production.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly