Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 690 of 766
  1. #676
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Namor just never gets to be flavor of the week. But of course we want more than that.

    I guess DC did an end run around this. (Let's give Aquaman dark, shaggy hair, like Namor once had and then . . .)
    Grrrrrrrr.


    It's so sad that we will probably have to wait for a Namor MCU appearance to get anything going in the comics. I mean, even places where he should be taking a front seat row, like AXE, he's no where to be found.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  2. #677
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    At least we have this alternate universe version, with that hated goatee, coming out this week.









    Of course, we've got Namor losing his mind ... again. : (


    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/maes...t-his-giganto/
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #678
    Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Of course, we've got Namor losing his mind ... again. : (


    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/maes...t-his-giganto/
    Well, this just reminds me of Zdarsky's Invaders run -_- Finished it last week. Overall, a decent Invaders story.

    But what's your opinion about Zdarsky's Namor? Is he poorly or well written? I'm asking bc I know almost nothing about this magnificent character.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 06-20-2022 at 11:50 AM.
    "Darling, I am the filth." - Devlin Waugh (Judge Dredd Megazine)

    Finished reading: Devlin Waugh: Blood Debt; Batman: Last Knight on Earth; Captain Britain by Moore & Davis; The Torch (2009–2010); Invaders Vol. 3 (2019–2020)
    Reading next: The Punisher (Vol. 5)

  4. #679
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Well, this just reminds me of Zdarsky's Invaders run -_- Finished it last week. Overall, a decent Invaders story.

    But what's your opinion about Zdarsky's Namor? Is he poorly or well written? I'm asking bc I know almost nothing about this magnificent character.
    Ah, well you've come to the right place to find out about the awesomeness that is Namor! Welcome!

    Overall, I enjoyed Zdarsky's Namor, though I did have some issues with the story line. You could tell Zdarsky loves the character and he portrayed him very sympathetically, I thought. Much like Milligan and Ribic's Sub-Mariner the Depths, Zdarsky / Magno / Guice Invaders book was a great read. He took a sensitive real life subject into the superhero venue and for the most part, conveyed the trauma honestly and emotionally. That said, neither book exactly was 616 Namor, IMO -- though Zdarsky would claim otherwise, I'm sure.

    There were too many retcons that didn't make sense / fit in with 616 Namor. The whole amnesia era was off, like DID Namor have amnesia, or not? Why wouldn't all these people he was interacting with NOT tell him he was an Atlantean Prince? Oh wait, he DID go back and forth to Atlantis. And if all that stuff happened with Professor X, WHY was it never referred to before? Also, why did Namor let Professor X off with zero consequences, after all he did to him?

    Plus, I've always refused to believe that the sliding timeline would NOT be applied to Namor's post Atlas era "disappearance" cause it makes zero sense that the Atlanteans (as well as Krang and Byrrah and Attuma) would wait around for their ruler for half a century, not to mention, Lady Dorma.

    Also, I know Zdarsky wanted to push the Cap and Namor relationship, but in the comics, it is clearly Namor and Jim Hammond that have that special bond. So it was really painful to see what happened between Namor and Hammond and not have it addressed at all in the end.

    I really don't care for all the 'mad king' story lines or "explanations" for Namor's mercurial nature. If you read about the Atlanteans, it's very clear, they are a very ... emotional people. Not to mention, Namor was raised to be a king -- with all the good and bad that entails. The idea that he's had this artificial construct in his head since the 1950s that we've never seen or heard of since then? Questionable to say the least.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  5. #680
    Incredible Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    At least we have this alternate universe version, with that hated goatee, coming out this week.









    Of course, we've got Namor losing his mind ... again. : (


    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/maes...t-his-giganto/
    I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol

  6. #681
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    Oh no! Not the goatee! ;PPPPPP

    The art is definitely growing on me. I think it would be a nice twist if Namor decides AGAINST conflict, instead of simply getting trounced by Maestro.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  7. #682
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    I know, right?! I believe it's much better when they're hardly visible (IMHO):


  8. #683
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]I know, right?! I believe it's much better when they're hardly visible (IMHO):
    Yes! Classic Namor. No scruff and the speedo!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  9. #684
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    Late to this gills convo but I like how the gills are portrayed during the short-lived NAMOR YA back when Marvel was trying to bring in the Young Adult reading crowd.


    but then again, the location seemed to fluctuate from behind the ear to further down the neck during the same period.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority

  10. #685
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    11,279

    Default

    Well, I read Maestro ... and I'm a bit disappointed. A very erratic Namor -- and I totally do NOT see his Namor doing that to Numa. At all.

    Not sure about Doom either. Or now Abomination??? I guess I'm going to have to go back and read this all together when it finishes up.

    IW should be pleased, though, for at least one thing. Congrats!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  11. #686
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    Lolol, please don't take the gills away from me Doombot, I love them too much! XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Oh no! Not the goatee! ;PPPPPP

    The art is definitely growing on me. I think it would be a nice twist if Namor decides AGAINST conflict, instead of simply getting trounced by Maestro.
    I feel like Namor was trying to avoid conflict/talk Hulk/Maestro down but like then all bets were off when his family was killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Late to this gills convo but I like how the gills are portrayed during the short-lived NAMOR YA back when Marvel was trying to bring in the Young Adult reading crowd.

    but then again, the location seemed to fluctuate from behind the ear to further down the neck during the same period.
    Namor has had gills since the 70s but they have been visible on and off throughout the years due to artists not knowing even though it was a plot point for a comic arc. I do love when they are visible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, I read Maestro ... and I'm a bit disappointed. A very erratic Namor -- and I totally do NOT see his Namor doing that to Numa. At all.

    Not sure about Doom either. Or now Abomination??? I guess I'm going to have to go back and read this all together when it finishes up.

    IW should be pleased, though, for at least one thing. Congrats!
    Thanks for the Congrats!!! I was SO PLEASED when I saw my namesake in today's comic and now it's canon! It's funny bc I had taken a spoken line by Namor from Roast of the Fantastic Four, and added the -ed at the end to get Imperius Wrecked and now years later it's in the comics!

    Screenshot_20220622-155619_Tumblr.jpg

    Screenshot_20220622-153247_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

    I do think mentally Namor is not in the right place and his subconscious family was both of his sides warring within him, Nuuma would have talked him down if Leonard ll hadn't stopped her. I'm not pleased with the "Mad King" plot but it's almost a sure thing these days that every writer wants to do this :/
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  12. #687
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Namor just never gets to be flavor of the week. But of course we want more than that.

    I guess DC did an end run around this. (Let's give Aquaman dark, shaggy hair, like Namor once had and then . . .)
    The MCU course is clear in response to DCEU going with a very visually Namor-esque take with their Aquaman on the big screen: Go with the clean cut regal version with their adaptation of the Sub-Mariner...
    Early "leaks" and rumors would seem to confirm they are on that track. Though the possible casting of Tenoch Huerta, would make both Atlantean kings tan/brown skinned (but that ain't a bad thing).
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/bl...new-promo-art/
    https://twitter.com/MyTimeToShineH/status/1528843708602503171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1528843708602503171%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditm edia.com%2Fmediae zmbed%2Fuwacd3%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Df a lse
    Last edited by Thirteen; 06-23-2022 at 04:44 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority

  13. #688
    Astonishing Member Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    I'm mostly not against this casting. Namor should be somewhat exotic looking, compared to most of us.

    It is why I don't want the 4 to have major changes in terms of casting, but I get called out for that.
    Is it really wrong to want a property to look like the property?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

  14. #689
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm mostly not against this casting. Namor should be somewhat exotic looking, compared to most of us.

    It is why I don't want the 4 to have major changes in terms of casting, but I get called out for that.
    Is it really wrong to want a property to look like the property?
    Institutionalized racism and representation are the enemies of having a "Lily White" property in this day and age. Namor McKenzie, being the epitome of "mixed race" should be off the charts in that regard.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority

  15. #690
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    I do think any discussion of Fantastic Four casting should stay in the Fantastic Four discussion.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •