Page 40 of 238 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

My concern is that in the end all of this won't even be Namor and we are all losing our heads for nothing, imagine if Marvel MCU ends up saying that Atlantis is El Dorado, which a totally and different thing from Atlantis, yet they just slap the name Atlantis on there?

I have no doubt that if the MCU does bring in Namor and changes up Atlantis, then the same will follow in the comics. Marvel's already been doing this for years anyways, remember the terrible Magneto-Maximoff retcon? All I want is for Namor and Atlantis to finally be expanded on in the comics and have some good attention with creators but not at the expense of exploiting another culture's heritage/stories and just saying "yeah this is Atlantis now".

I personally worry about T'Challa's death explained and hope they don't make Namor the reason T'Challa is dead. I hate the whole Atlantis/Wakanda war because it makes no sense, but I'm hoping the director realizes this and we just have a Kiber Island incident plot or something.

Defenders (1972) #84

edit: However I am excited for Tenoch and really want to give this movie a fair chance and enjoy it.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Something about that art is super appealing to me.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Tying Namor to more Mexican/Mesoamerican stuff is an easy way to make him more distinct from being "Aquaman but a prick"

I remember thinking Jason Mamoa would’ve made a good Namor. Then he ended up getting cast as Aquaman. Ironic.

94C12D5F-ED28-4DDB-9296-6E02ACA7A565.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I remember thinking Jason Mamoa would’ve made a good Namor. Then he ended up getting cast as Aquaman. Ironic.

Maybe physically, but I'm not sure if he'd have Namor's voice.

He's likeable, but he doesn't have the acting chops for someone like Namor, imo.

That being said, an MCU Namor probably won't be how I see Namor from the comics anyway.

I don't follow DC, but I wonder how longtime Aquaman fans really felt with this film version of Arthur.

You know I would be annoyed if this is Feige and Marvel Studios' way of not wanting Namor have Aquaman comparissons very seriously. And given MCU have a track record of changing characters' backtories that are divisive at best (i.e. the whole Mandarin in Iron Man 3 debacle, Mantis, Taskmaster, the Maximoffs, etc.)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    He's likeable, but he doesn't have the acting chops for someone like Namor, imo.

That being said, an MCU Namor probably won't be how I see Namor from the comics anyway.

I don't follow DC, but I wonder how longtime Aquaman fans really felt with this film version of Arthur.
    I actually loved it. But I also appreciate Jason's acting and they stayed true to his origin so visual differences aside, I was sold.

With regards to MCU's Namor and Atlantis...on the one hand I could understand why they would want to differentiate the two "aqua men" and their Atlanteans but by choosing a POC it actually makes the comparison even more obvious. My questions would be: Who would mix up the two and why would anyone who actually know they're two different characters, care?

As for the City of Atlantis itself being of "Aztec" origins...enh! At this point it all comes down to which myth is less mythical....Real World Mythology or MU Mythology?

And, as with DC's AM, once they stay relatively true to the Namor's origin and story and the setting looks awesome...I'm good.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This is the dude that leaked, talking for an hour+ about Namor
    The guy himself kinda bothers me, so I've only skimmed a bit. Will watch more tomorrow.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Supposedly Atlantis will now be named Tlālōcān.

described in several Aztec codices as a paradise, ruled over by the rain deity Tlāloc and his consort Chalchiuhtlicue. It absorbed those who died through drowning or lightning, or as a consequence of diseases associated with the rain deity. Tlālōcān has also been recognized in certain wall paintings of the much earlier Teotihuacan culture. Among modern Nahua-speaking peoples of the Gulf Coast, Tlālōcān survives as an all-encompassing concept embracing the subterranean world and its denizens.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tl%C4%81l%C5%8Dc%C4%81n

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Supposedly Atlantis will now be named Tlālōcān.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tl%C4%81l%C5%8Dc%C4%81n
    This stuff would be cool as hell, for like, a different character. Why would people living beneath the sea worship a rain god?
    Tlaloc is a super interesting god though, read about him before.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    My concern is that in the end all of this won't even be Namor and we are all losing our heads for nothing, imagine if Marvel MCU ends up saying that Atlantis is El Dorado, which a totally and different thing from Atlantis, yet they just slap the name Atlantis on there?
    Normally, I disregard all these "scoops" and "leaks" as completely unsubstantiated, but alot of this plays into my fears that Marvel will strip Namor of everything and just slap his name on an unrecognizable character, simply to have someone that Wakanda can be beat up, i.e. he'll finally be reduced to nothing but a BP villain.

Plus, I still don't understand why a leaker would blur a real image of MCU Namor.

I have no doubt that if the MCU does bring in Namor and changes up Atlantis, then the same will follow in the comics. Marvel's already been doing this for years anyways, remember the terrible Magneto-Maximoff retcon? All I want is for Namor and Atlantis to finally be expanded on in the comics and have some good attention with creators but not at the expense of exploiting another culture's heritage/stories and just saying "yeah this is Atlantis now".
    It's the monkey's paw. We'll get a "Namor" comic, but he will be completely changed for MCU synergy.

I personally worry about T'Challa's death explained and hope they don't make Namor the reason T'Challa is dead. I hate the whole Atlantis/Wakanda war because it makes no sense, but I'm hoping the director realizes this and we just have a Kiber Island incident plot or something.

Defenders (1972) #84

edit: However I am excited for Tenoch and really want to give this movie a fair chance and enjoy it.

The only reason Namor would be in this movie is for an Atlantean / Wakandan war which he can be trashed in. It's why I've repeatedly said, Namor does NOT need to be in the Black Panther movie.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Normally, I disregard all these "scoops" and "leaks" as completely unsubstantiated, but alot of this plays into my fears that Marvel will strip Namor of everything and just slap his name on an unrecognizable character, simply to have someone that Wakanda can be beat up, i.e. he'll finally be reduced to nothing but a BP villain.

Plus, I still don't understand why a leaker would blur a real image of MCU Namor.

It's the monkey's paw. We'll get a "Namor" comic, but he will be completely changed for MCU synergy.

The only reason Namor would be in this movie is for an Atlantean / Wakandan war which he can be trashed in. It's why I've repeatedly said, Namor does NOT need to be in the Black Panther movie.

And T'challa doesn't need Namor as a villain either, since he has others thar can be used. I don't see why they wouldn't just save him for the FF movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I remember thinking Jason Mamoa wouldÂ’ve made a good Namor. Then he ended up getting cast as Aquaman. Ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe physically, but I'm not sure if he'd have Namor's voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post

I'm a bit torn. I think Momoa could pull off the look, but I'm in the "maybe not the acting chops" camp for Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I actually loved it. But I also appreciate Jason's acting and they stayed true to his origin so visual differences aside, I was sold.
    Which Aquaman's origin would that be? Unlike Namor, Aquaman has had several origin stories. They basically stole Namor's origin and the whole bi-racial background for the movie. Not sure about the importance of his mother in the comics, but that's definitely a part of Namor's comics.

With regards to MCU's Namor and Atlantis...on the one hand I could understand why they would want to differentiate the two "aqua men" and their Atlanteans but by choosing a POC it actually makes the comparison even more obvious. My questions would be: Who would mix up the two and why would anyone who actually know they're two different characters, care?
    THIS. I think most superhero movie goers can tell the difference between a DC universe and a Marvel universe.

As for the City of Atlantis itself being of "Aztec" origins...enh! At this point it all comes down to which myth is less mythical....Real World Mythology or MU Mythology?

And, as with DC's AM, once they stay relatively true to the Namor's origin and story and the setting looks awesome...I'm good.
    But they aren't really staying true to Namor's origin or story at all, according to the leak. And he's gone from ruling the oceans, to ruling a hidden city in Central America?

If you are going to name something Atlantis, it carries it's own baggage and culture. If you want to use an Aztec underwater myth, then call it by it's name and use that culture. Otherwise it is problematic.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    And T'challa doesn't need Namor as a villain either, since he has others thar can be used. I don't see why they wouldn't just save him for the FF movie.
    To hear some BP fans, you'd think Namor was the ONLY BP villain.