Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I have seen it and it looks somewhat promising. I know it's probably been brought up here already but it's too bad Marvel took a while to get going with Namor. DC's Aquaman beat them to the punch and succeeded in staying mostly faithful to the character...except he looked more like Jae Lee's version of Namor! Maybe this is why Marvel felt they needed to make some alterations to the character. I really would rather he stay Atlantean.

Cover from the 2019 John Byrne Jae Lee Namor omnibus

As I've said repeatedly, DC LOVES Namor. Not only did they liberally lift from Namor for Aquaman, but now the Johns version of Black Adam is going to make it to the screen before Namor. Meanwhile, Marvel doesn't appear to know Namor exists. It appears he is going to be completely ignored in AXE, where he has ties to every side of the conflict! And let's not even get started on the sheer crap Aaron is heaping on the character, when he remember he's on the team -- mystic variant Invaders team, fighting Nazi Kraken, but not a variant Namor is sight. SMH.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The Mesoamerican thing is an odd choice, but I do think it can work as a contrast to Wakanda, so I'm willing to give it a chance. I think the foot gear does make the wings work better, imo. That being said, the Jaguar headdress is weird as is the whole Jaguar god thing. It seems weird pushing it so far from Poseidon/Neptune. It feels almost like they had two ideas - one was to have a Maya mythos incorporated and the other was to have Atlantis and they sort of squished them together.
    This is the main reason I did not want Namor and Atlantis in any sort of Black Panther story or show. Atlantis and Namor are far older and storied and connected than BP and Wakanda. They should have their own story, their own push, their own movie / show, and not be considered as support for BP. Creative decisions for Namor and Atlantis shouldn't depend on making BP look good. It's a total crap demotion on Marvel's oldest and seminal character. Especially given how much potential Namor and Atlantis has with their totally unique setting -- underwater. Just take a look at the Avatar trailer to see what Marvel is missing out on.

But yes, I agree on the weirdness of the Jaguar god connection.

I still maintain, if they wanted to use the Mesoamerican take, they should have done a Savage Land (which even has a vibranium connection) lost tribe thing and left Namor and Atlantis out of it.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    As I've said repeatedly, DC LOVES Namor. Not only did they liberally lift from Namor for Aquaman, but now the Johns version of Black Adam is going to make it to the screen before Namor. Meanwhile, Marvel doesn't appear to know Namor exists. It appears he is going to be completely ignored in AXE, where he has ties to every side of the conflict! And let's not even get started on the sheer crap Aaron is heaping on the character, when he remember he's on the team -- mystic variant Invaders team, fighting Nazi Kraken, but not a variant Namor is sight. SMH.
    I avoid Aaron at all costs. I only picked up a couple of the Avengers Forever issues with Doom but I doubt I'll buy anymore. I may look into the rest of it when it hits Marvel Unlimited. I really think DC is a bit shameless in how much they copied Namor.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Admirably optimistic of you, IW! But surely you aren't happy that MCU Namor won't be yelling, Imperius Rex!! ;p
    Lol, well we won't know he won't say it until the movie is out! However there are some good stuff about the Atlanteans, we all were concerned they weren't going to be blue but that seems to be wrong, and hey Avatar 2 won't have the only Blue water people anymore.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I like blue people.

I am more excited for Avatar 2 than Black Panther 2 though. Obviously Namor is my boy all the way, but Black Panther 2 is filling me with more anxiety than I'd like lol. Avatar will just let me enjoy aquatic blue people without the stress.
    Last edited by Doombot; Today at 12:51 PM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

This is the main reason I did not want Namor and Atlantis in any sort of Black Panther story or show. Atlantis and Namor are far older and storied and connected than BP and Wakanda. They should have their own story, their own push, their own movie / show, and not be considered as support for BP. Creative decisions for Namor and Atlantis shouldn't depend on making BP look good. It's a total crap demotion on Marvel's oldest and seminal character. Especially given how much potential Namor and Atlantis has with their totally unique setting -- underwater. Just take a look at the Avatar trailer to see what Marvel is missing out on.

But yes, I agree on the weirdness of the Jaguar god connection.

I still maintain, if they wanted to use the Mesoamerican take, they should have done a Savage Land (which even has a vibranium connection) lost tribe thing and left Namor and Atlantis out of it.
    I was hoping that Namor was a huge misdirect and the actual movie would see a Wakandan tribe having crossed to Mesoamerica and used the technology to hide a 'City in the Sky' in the vein of Machu Picchu with White Tiger as their version of Black Panther.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I don't think Marvel has deviated from the source material as much as they have with Namor. Now, whether that ends up being a bust for them ... well, it will be hard to tell, given the death of Boseman and other problems BP 2 has had to deal with.
    I agree with you.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime