Page 48 of 238 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Thanks for your elaborate answer!
    Of course! I did warn you we like to talk about Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I have been an actor, over 40 years ago, certainly not a great one, lol.

But I feel that various great actors go to great lengths (mostly men) to make themselves look like the character they're portraying.

Oldman, comes to mind, Dracula, Gordon, others.

So I don't feel it is wrong to expect both

A good actor, male or female, playing a role that is well known or to some degree

and they can be identified as the character right from the get go.

It really shouldn't be hard to find, seek good actors who resemble the character.

What everyone else is talking about, or it seems, is reinventing with a feeling towards modern relevant demographics.

I'm not opposed to that mostly, but sometimes I think it is just being overdone, mostly in the case of the 4.

Several weeks ago when I entered this debate, someone said

You can change anyone else's background/race/etc except The Thing

He has to stay Jewish! Okay, 1, partially Jewish so not offensive in any way

But, the Ben is Jewish only became more canon in the last 20 years?

So I found that disingenuous. Why cannot all 4 be the same more or less as originally presented?

In all the 60 years of their appearances, Ben being Jewish was not a major plot point.

I love it, and I of course wouldn't change that, it really adds a lot to the character,

but for Goddess' sake, why can't we see that the other should also retain their zeitgeist ?

Ben remaining Jewish is in part because it is part of his character, and partly, as you said, "a feeling towards modern relevant demographics." There's no way they would erase a minority.

With the other 3, being white isn't necessary to their characters ... unless they set the FF movie in the 1960s, imo. In which case I do think they should cast them as originally presented. They could do some interesting things with that if they then brought them into the modern MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Ps: I do believe that talk of this casting should be okay here, because

I too am not looking forward to BP2 if it is Namor there.

I think the FF should be the ones to give us Namor,

the Inhumans (new/retcon?) and many of the other properties they were so instrumental in bringing.

Do we want the Guardians to fight Galactus?

Not until the FF do!

Do we want the Avengers to fight Giganto when Namor uses that horn?

No! Must be the FF!

and on and on.
    I agree 100! If he doesn't get his own movie first, Namor and Giganto should definitely appear first in FF!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Not quite his classic Namor, but a lovely Jae Lee Namor commission.

This is so awesome. I want modern Jae Lee to redo 90's Jae Lee's Suma-Ket story arc.

I don't think I'd want Namor to be in the first FF. I think the best option is for the FF to discover the Negative Zone. Namor could be hinted at, but come later. A sub plot of the first film could be a discovery of Sub-Terranea and a skirmish with Mole Man, which could disturb or alert the Atlanteans, kicking off sequel bait.

Hints of Galactus, hints of Doom, and you have an entire category of FF films with people chomping at the bit to see these characters.
    Last edited by Doombot; 06-24-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Don't know why we are talking about Ben Grimm and FF in a Namor thread when I'm very certain there are threads for each FF member and so on.

If we are talking casting then I would want to talk about Sub-Mariner supporting characters, and the FF are not his supporting characters, in fact Namor is their supporting character.

Who would you all cast for a Betty Dean character?

Or Carrie Alexander?

Or Llyra?

Or Vashti?

Or literally anyone who was actually a part of Namor's allies and foes cast?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Not quite his classic Namor, but a lovely Jae Lee Namor commission.

This is amazing, and I do love Lee's work so much!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Don't know why we are talking about Ben Grimm and FF in a Namor thread when I'm very certain there are threads for each FF member and so on.

If we are talking casting then I would want to talk about Sub-Mariner supporting characters, and the FF are not his supporting characters, in fact Namor is their supporting character.

Who would you all cast for a Betty Dean character?

Or Carrie Alexander?

Or Llyra?

Or Vashti?

Or literally anyone who was actually a part of Namor's allies and foes cast?
    Is TigerShark a guy in a suit or digital? GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Is TigerShark a guy in a suit or digital? GO!
    You know I would throw a man into a TigerShark suit so fast, I love practical costumes but with Disney would probably end up with frog face Tigershark from Aaron's Avengers. lol. (':

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    You know I would throw a man into a TigerShark suit so fast, I love practical costumes but with Disney would probably end up with frog face Tigershark from Aaron's Avengers. lol. (':
    You know I hate you a bit for even bringing that up. I'd rather there was never a Namor film than witness that.

You know I hate you a bit for even bringing that up. I'd rather there was never a Namor film than witness that.
    LMAO. Disney loves their CGI, so that was the worst thought to pop into my head. XD

How would you modernize TigerShark's origin? Would you still go the olympic swimmer route? Is it too weird? Dated?
    Last edited by Doombot; 06-24-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm so glad I don't read Aaron's Avengers. To me John Buscema's version will always be the only one of Tiger Shark...and Namor too for that matter

Buscema's TigerShark is the best, the silhouette, the powerful look and attitude, I just can't stand the orange kirbyesque zigzags.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm so glad I don't read Aaron's Avengers. To me John Buscema's version will always be the only one of Tiger Shark...and Namor too for that matter
    Buscema is unmatched! I love his character designs.

How would you modernize TigerShark's origin? Would you still go the olympic swimmer route? Is it too weird? Dated?
    I honestly don't think it's outdated, and Wave aka Pearl Pangan practically has Todd Arliss's backstory, idk if you ever read Aero #1, but she was a swimmer who was banned and got caught up with water experiments. I would say that just having Todd be desperate enough to undergo treatment would be enough, it's a tried and true trope in the Superhero genre of villains getting something they think they want and it backfiring on them. Tigershark would be overwhelmed with all the impulses and stuff and be unable to control himself from his new darker nature.

Do you think it needs updating?

I've always felt the idea of a swimmer who could no longer swim, turned super villain, to be pretty weak, even silly, but that being said anything can work with the right writing.