Page 10 of 238 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

I'm pretty sure that Namor is believe to have been born in 1922, making him 18 in 1940 when parts of WW2 began (US entered later)

Namor's more retconned appearances in various iterations of The Invaders, mostly make him seem older than 18 to early 20s (war would have ended around his age 23?)

Someone tell me if I am wrong.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I thought in 1942 Namor was 20?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I'm assuming the sliding scale doesn't actually need to work for Namor and his family seeing as they live much longer than humans?

So even though there are heroes that were around in the 60s and 70s (xmen for example) most of them are still in their 30s.

Yeah, I think we are saying this is Namor's 100th Birthday, but not necessarily that Namor is 100, if that makes sense, lol.

Likewise, characters like Black Widow, Capt America, Prof X and Magneto are all near their 100th Birthdays, but far from that age in the comics, let alone the movies.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

No, I am saying, canon-wise, Namor was born 100 years ago. In the 616, WW2 started the same here/real life and Namor was 18.

So yeah, it is wonky. Maybe you're all right and I'm wrong?

But I look at it like this:

We don't talk about it but Johnny 'found' Namor in the NY bowery about 15 to 20 years ago... after 9/11 even.

Likewise Steve Rogers was discovered then-or so. Namor was not amnesiac all that time but mostly.

Most of the characters who were around in the '60s or '70s are aging incredibly slowly.

Franklin is the prime example, since in real time we know he was born in 1968.
    54 years have passed and he is only around 15 . . . .
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Right....so you are saying the same thing I did!

....that we are celebrating Namor's 100th.

But with the time scale you mention, Namor is not and cannot be "100 years" in the comics, because then Franklin would be 54 and not 15 as you mention....

Well, no. WW2 happened 80 years ago, in our world or 616. Namor is 100.

Franklin is not 54 because in 616 he was born "somewhere" after 2005 (sliding time scale. it doesn't work for Namor, Cap, or anyone who has certain fixed points) not really 1968.
    Sue would be the Invisible Crone. Johnny would be Flaming Old-guy (hmmmm)
    ~ Oberon ~

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by namorcosplay View Post
    Happy 100th Birthday to the King!!!

Dude you are definitely the reigning Namor! I think I'll retire my Namor and leave the younger generation take over. LOL No, seriously Namorcosplay, you are killing it as Namor! I think you posted in instagram you are 6'3" and as a 6'2" tall guy myself I know how much it takes to fill up a big frame of muscle. Well done and a great representation of classic Namor!
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

Avengers issue #53 was not a terrible showing for Namor by no means. Maybe Jason Aaron's writing of the character won't be all bad as we thought.

Last edited by Thor-El; 02-27-2022 at 10:21 PM.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Happy 100th Birthday to Namor!!! I made some edits for today which you can check out here.

(Sorry I have not been around lately, just dealing with some health issues, hope everyone is doing well!)
    Very nice edits Imperius Wrecked! Get well soon!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Oh wow. So 100 is his actual age?
    We know that Leonard arrived in the Antarctic waters in 1920, it is never specified what month exactly so if we assume that he arrived late in the year, then spent several weeks bombing the ice, then Fen went to the surface and he and Fen spent weeks/months together then Namor being born in February 1922 makes sense timeline wise, especially if we consider that maybe Atlantean's don't carry for the same amount of times as humans, it could be longer for example like whales. Namor's previous golden age canon birthday was February 2nd, unspecified year but he wrote about it when he was 10 years old, Sub-Mariner Comics #36 (1954):

The latest and imo, canon birthday is February 22, 1922 in universe, and since Namor does not need to adhere to a sliding timescale he can keep his age with no change to his story. Atlanteans are said to live a long time, the most recent specified time was in Marvel Snapshot: Sub-Mariner

Namor nor anyone else knows how long he will live as he is a human-mutant/atlantean hybrid. The Ancient Kings in Hickman's Fantastic Four call Namor the "Child King" when he was about 75 years old so to Atlanteans Namor would still be very young even if he looks like 30's aged human. Fantastic Four (1961) #587

Everett's Namor while tall in stature was still a teenager, 17-18 arriving in New York, his nature/personality is one of a young man and even if later artists make Namor look older I usually don't trust an artists style as an indicator of age as many artists tend to not portray differences between teens and adults. :/

So Namor is 100 in canon imo, it's just a fun thing I enjoy and thought it was fun to celebrate with other fans. It will never affect his story other than Marvel adding more more years to his amnesia time before Johnny finds him.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

the real take away for me, is February 22, 1922

is a perfect birthday for Piscean Namor.

I know, sounds fishy.
    ~ Oberon ~

I completed 100 Namor icons for his 100th, here is a link if anyone is interested in using them. I will be making more edits and such things later for Namor week but if anyone ever needs an Icon cut out just let me know!

Also I recently read Aaron's latest Avengers and I am not pleased that Namor couldn't hold his own in a fight against Teen Thanos. *sigh* I really hope a new Avengers writer comes soon or Namor is taken off the book.

I snagged one, thanks IW!

You're welcome!