Page 129 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3557

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    He looks fabulous, but I want all four of the Talocans and maybe Queen Ramonda, cause she too, is fabulous. I love how non-head dress Namor is so grumpy! And Namora's head dress also looks amazing here.

I looked these up and apparently they are like key chains, but probably more suited to clipping to a back pack or maybe a phone or something. Sadly, they come in blind packs for about $7 or $8 bucks apiece, so you don't know what you are getting until you open them. Kind of like the the little vinyl Namor that was in the FF boxes from Gamestop. However, if you look around on eBay or places like that, you can find them outside of the pack and will know what you are getting. I'm contemplating buying a box and selling off what I don't want. If I do so, I'll let folks here know.
    Yeah, that NEVER works for me, lol! I always get the ones I don't want!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yeah, that NEVER works for me, lol! I always get the ones I don't want!
    I know, right? I ended up buying so many of those vinyl FF boxes to get ONE Namor and ONE Doom.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Prepare for the Nerdrotics, Critical Drinkers, Geeks and Gamers etc to use Namor to help generate content. They are going to tear apart the MCU version as more woke material instead of source material.
    Heh. I hadn't heard Nerdrotics before. LOL!

But yes, they've been on full blast since SDCC in July when Tenoch Huerta was announced and their racism has been blatant as their ignorance of Namor. There's been a little of the black / brown conflict I was worried about, but happily not much. And the most surprising is a few alleged Latino / Mexicans saying they want a leading Mexican superhero not a race swapped -- even though they've also culture swapped MCU Namor. People are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    There's a case to be made that what they did with Namor/Atlantis is extremely cynical and had a certain goal/view in mind that I find troublesome, but there's an even bigger case to be made that the loudest people complaining don't know a damn thing about Namor to begin with. I feel, as someone who's read Sub-Mariner since I was kid, that I have issues and grievances with the choices they've made for this film, but I don't want Youtube professional complainer types on my side. The people using Namor as an excuse to continue the seemingly endless culture wars, have no real interest in the character. I can have legit criticisms of the choices made for the film, but still hope it's good and that they, at the very least, try to get to the core of who Namor is.
    This. These are not the choices I would have made or particularly wanted, as a Namor fan. However, as I've said before, the MCU has been stripping away at Namor since their inception and whatever we got, it was not going to be comic accurate. The core elements of the character seem to be there. I still want to see what the heck is going on with the blue Talocans, but otherwise, most the stuff I'm reading at least seems to reference or understand the core elements plus they got a great actor. Of course, keeping the green trunks went a long way for the shallow side of me. LOL!

I do think Coogler had a certain goal in mind in changing MCU Namor, though I'm not sure how cynical it was. He wants to give minority cast and crew opportunities in his movies. From the interviews I've seen, they knew in the first BP movie that they wanted to use Namor for the second movie, cause Coogler was going to do a post credit scene with Namor -- or his wet footprints. So, of course, he was going to race swap Namor, as why go with a fantasy race bi-racial and coding, when he can outright be bi-racial. Once you do that, then I can see how they made the leap to switching cultures too, especially once they cast Huerta.

And yes. The biggest whiners are clueless about Namor. My favorites are the ones invoking Stan Lee as Namor's creator, and the original intent of creators.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

There's a case to be made that what they did with Namor/Atlantis is extremely cynical and had a certain goal/view in mind that I find troublesome, but there's an even bigger case to be made that the loudest people complaining don't know a damn thing about Namor to begin with. I feel, as someone who's read Sub-Mariner since I was kid, that I have issues and grievances with the choices they've made for this film, but I don't want Youtube professional complainer types on my side. The people using Namor as an excuse to continue the seemingly endless culture wars, have no real interest in the character. I can have legit criticisms of the choices made for the film, but still hope it's good and that they, at the very least, try to get to the core of who Namor is.
    Yea Im not saying the criticisms are invalid. Its just they'll be those using it to prop the content they put out.

Personally, I feel Marvel was put into a tough spot because Aquaman handled Atlantis so well that they feared the instant comparisons or be an Atlantis light situation. So they changed things while still hoping to capture the spirit and honesty of the comics and Namor.

Its all about execution. If they nail it then it should be fine. But yes be leery of "new long time fans" is all Im saying.

I know, right? I ended up buying so many of those vinyl FF boxes to get ONE Namor and ONE Doom.
    I wonder if they have done/will do other Marvel characters?

It would be cool to have some associates/friends/teammates that could be paired with Namor too, like members of the Defenders, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I wonder if they have done/will do other Marvel characters?

It would be cool to have some associates/friends/teammates that could be paired with Namor too, like members of the Defenders, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc.
    They have done previous releases -- mostly movie related. I'm sure there's a Hulk and Doctor Strange. Probably an MCU Valkyrie for Defenders. There's definitely a Cap. I don't know if they made them for the FF -- if they did, you could still the Torch and make an Invaders set.

They have one of Cosmo for the GoTG set! I have to find that one.

They have done previous releases -- mostly movie related. I'm sure there's a Hulk and Doctor Strange. Probably an MCU Valkyrie for Defenders. There's definitely a Cap. I don't know if they made them for the FF -- if they did, you could still the Torch and make an Invaders set.

They have one of Cosmo for the GoTG set! I have to find that one.
    Oh, thanks for the info. Yes, I would love to see Cosmo!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I will catch up on the chat later but so far my reactions to those little toys are: Awww! I want them all.

Doombot, see this is where you and I differ in regards to Atlantis/Animals/Tech etc. I personally love the fantasy element of the Atlanteans riding whales, using giant sea creatures to help with their day to day work, etc. I find it no different than people using horses, or elephants back in the day, and other land animals for work purposes. These days we don't so much because it's all tech, but for me Atlantis has always been in a sort of slow decay, at one point they were the MOST advanced people on the earth before the Fall, but I always felt as though they lost so much knowledge and Tech that it has taken them centuries to get back within arms reach of that former glory and over time they have adapted to their undersea world. I would want more tech though, to be shown in the movie, but I loved the imagery of them riding the whale in the trailer, it took my breath away. Also Namor and his people having a connection where they care for the sea and its creatures and in return they aid them is always something I love to see. It's definitely been shown in the comics that they have sea animals they use like this, I know we all don't really count the teen Namor series as pure canon since it doesn't line up with the og canon, but the fantasical natural elements and stuff they used for the Atlanteans was a highlight of that series. Namor himself has ridden killer whales, etc. I do hope we get the Atlantean Flagship at some point, or even Alex Ross's mechanical crabs from MARVELS
    It's okay to be wrong, Imp, we still like you.

Namor is one of the few characters who's been shown to actually like and care about wildlife, something that is actually quite rare in comics, and has been one of the reasons I've always loved Namor. Plus he's riding that Orca for like fun, not to get to work lol That being said, using animal mounts has always made the Atlanteans seem backward or still stuck in antiquity or a medieval age. And having animals being used and helping with day to day life just makes me think of the Flintstones.

The Atlanteans have been shown many times over the years in ships, cruisers, tanks etc, even in a declining society, there's no going back to riding a shark mounts after having a vehicles with engines or propulsion technology. Having a connection to and caring about nature and wildlife isn't the same as still using an elephant as your dishwasher or whatever lol

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Very curious about the Namor and Attuma interactions. Wonder if its respectful (at first)

Very curious about the Namor and Attuma interactions. Wonder if its respectful (at first)
    I'm thinking he's got to be the warmonger. The guy that agitates for war and is unhappy with Namor's restraint or views etc. If there is a secretive third party to the conflict between Talocan and Wakanda, he's probably part of it. Something along these lines. OR he's just the grumpy heavy for Namora.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Doombot, I think its less Flintstones and more adapting to their environment, yes cars are useful but in a desert you would want a camel because there is no garage close by to fix a broken down car. I see it as them having both old traditions/needs that can be met with both tech and other ways, I think it makes it more fantastical.

I do think that Attuma is gonna be the Krang of this universe, maybe he starts out as an ally then turns on Namor.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

If your library uses Libby for their digital collections and it carries magazines, they probably have a digital copy of The Empire Magazine with the Wakanda Forever cover and article. I checked a copy out last night and it was free!

Sadly, no new Namor or Talocan pictures, but a few paragraphs about them from the cast.

Yea Im not saying the criticisms are invalid. Its just they'll be those using it to prop the content they put out.

Personally, I feel Marvel was put into a tough spot because Aquaman handled Atlantis so well that they feared the instant comparisons or be an Atlantis light situation. So they changed things while still hoping to capture the spirit and honesty of the comics and Namor.

Its all about execution. If they nail it then it should be fine. But yes be leery of "new long time fans" is all Im saying.
    Ah, yes, the fans who have literally never read a Namor comic. They've might have read him in other comics, like, god forbid, Aaron's Avengers, but they've never read anything where he was the protagonist.

I don't feel criticisms are valid IF they are supported by wrong information, or if they know little about the character. Then, IMO, they are just using them as an excuse.

Marvel put itself in a tough spot with Aquaman, because they ceded the entire underwater genre to DC over a decade ago. DC and Geoff Johns built up Aquaman for years, while Marvel practically forgot Namor existed. They could have used Namor in the MCU in the first Captain America movie, or Agent Carter, or done a TV series, but like the comics, Feige completely ignored the character. It is so very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Doombot, I think its less Flintstones and more adapting to their environment, yes cars are useful but in a desert you would want a camel because there is no garage close by to fix a broken down car. I see it as them having both old traditions/needs that can be met with both tech and other ways, I think it makes it more fantastical.

I do think that Attuma is gonna be the Krang of this universe, maybe he starts out as an ally then turns on Namor.
    No one uses a camel that has any other option lol. Jokes aside, I do understand what you're saying, and I think many people have this view about fantasy worlds, certainly by judging how many creators can't resist doing it just in Namor books alone, but I don't feel it fits the type of fantasy world that I see/feel Atlantis should be. I'd much rather Atlantis be some mix between Barsoom of the John Carter books mixed with bits of Blade Runner/Cyberpunk, rather than Greco-Roman antiquity or medieval Lord of the Rings. I'd much rather have stories of Namor and Atlanteans interacting and protecting wildlife over riding them into battle or using them as beasts of burden.

I've had lots of story ideas about Namor needing to interact with animals from needing to seek out and get information from the last giant Stellar's Sea Cow that still exists in the Arctic Sea, or a sort of Moby Dick story where humans vessels are being attacked buy a huge sperm whale in the Atlantic, which Atlantis is being blamed for, that turns out to be the ghost slaughtered whales during the age of whaling, and another of Namor having to seek out the "King of Fish" which is a massive grouper, which lives surrounded by a school of smaller fish and Namor has to converse with in a somewhat similar way to the talking school of fish in Finding Nemo. Also, Namor always refers to these more fantasical ancient animals as "Grandmother" or "Grandfather".

There needs to be more animals in Sub-Mariner stories for sure, just not in the way of like using sea turtles as surfboards or whatever.

I've had lots of story ideas about Namor needing to interact with animals from needing to seek out and get information from the last giant Stellar's Sea Cow that still exists in the Arctic Sea, or a sort of Moby Dick story where humans vessels are being attacked buy a huge sperm whale in the Atlantic, which Atlantis is being blamed for, that turns out to be the ghost slaughtered whales during the age of whaling, and another of Namor having to seek out the "King of Fish" which is a massive grouper, which lives surrounded by a school of smaller fish and Namor has to converse with in a somewhat similar way to the talking school of fish in Finding Nemo. Also, Namor always refers to these more fantasical ancient animals as "Grandmother" or "Grandfather".

There needs to be more animals in Sub-Mariner stories for sure, just not in the way of like using sea turtles as surfboards or whatever.
    Those all sound so intriguing! And I can totally see Namor referring to the old giants as such. I believe you had a Mignola story where Hellboy went seeking old mermaids for info, that was adapted from a Subby story he had started.

In Subby 33, IIRC, Namor journeys to Lemuria to make a diplomatic alliance, and part of the way there, he hitches a ride on a giant manta ray, because tradition or ritual demanded that he not use a vehicle for the trip. ALL THE WAY TO THE PACIFIC! I'm not sure about the reasoning behind that tradition.