Page 14 of 238 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by namorcosplay View Post
    I dont think I ever shared these photos with you guys, but this past summer a photographer friend and I got these water shots of my Namor cosplay. There are no edits in the water shots whatsoever. Easily some of my most favorite Namor photos of myself

Wow, these are great!

The sky, sun and water all look unreal, as if on another planet!

I think you captured (some of) Namor's rage too. Your eyes appear to be reflecting the blue of the water in that one shot.

Also good to know your costumes are practical in that they can get wet when Sub-Mariner-ing! LOL
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

They're great! Thanks
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Didn't see anything new in the solicitations for Namor. But I believe we are getting the second issue of Maestro World War M this week / tomorrow. And we finally get to see who these other Atlanteans are.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/03/18/ma...world-war-m-2/

BATTLE AT PACIFICA! The Maestro is out for revenge against those who attacked him, which has led him straight to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, right into the underwater city ruled by the Sub-Mariner, Namor! But the Maestro might be outmatched…or, more likely, out-limbed.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Well World War M has certainly been holding my attention more than the Avengers mainly because Namor feels like Namor, even if some of the old tropes we are used to have shown up again in regards to his AU family, his wife Nammu, and son Leonard. Can't wait for the next issue!

Namor trying to make peace with Bruce/Hulk just speaks about how these two characters have always been kindred spirits and imo it's one of the better Namor friendships we see, except in this case of course bc of spoilers:
    Maestro killing Namor's wife and son
    end of spoilers

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

so in world war M, is Namor kind of a good guy here? please?

Going to have to pick this up, looks fun. I like the art. Not sure why Namor's wife has ankle wings, unless they're just part of her costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Imo Namor is the good guy here but again when it comes to Namor being good or bad it's subjective, to outline Namor's case here and why he is fighting then attempting to reach a peace with Maestro spoilers:
    in this future, all the humans are dead/gone and basically there is very few of them left who could cause an impact to hurt the world. Namor is happy with this because his people have peace, the sea ans world are healing bc humans are not around, he does not want Maestro to find a way to repopulate/bring back humans so he is attempting to stop it. Maestro only wants to bring back the people so he can rule over them. Namor would rather they stay dead. If you are a human then yeah Namor's plan would suck for you but since I'm always sympathetic to the Atlanteans this is actually a good thing for them.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Going to have to pick this up, looks fun. I like the art. Not sure why Namor's wife has ankle wings, unless they're just part of her costume.
    If you look closely at the first issue, atlanteans rising out of the water also seem to have mechanical/metal ankle wings as part of their costume. I'm loving the art in this book and I'm so pleased the artist remembered the gills!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    If you look closely at the first issue, atlanteans rising out of the water also seem to have mechanical/metal ankle wings as part of their costume. I'm loving the art in this book and I'm so pleased the artist remembered the gills!
    Ah okay, I haven't read the first issue yet either. I do really like this art, personally I'm less happy to see the gills though. We may have discussed the gill topic before, but to me they look silly and make no sense.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I didn't care for the ... tragedy in this issue, at all, but I'm biased. Also, his kid at least should be far more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

Do you think Maestro is a good guy?

Namor is playing the Atlantean hero here and he's not written as the total abrasive a$$hole that many modern writers portray him as.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I did finally catch up on the 2 issues. I like them a lot, it's great to see Jim too. Ultimately it's a Hulk book, and even though he's evil, Maestro will stomp Namor and everyone else.

Ah okay, I haven't read the first issue yet either. I do really like this art, personally I'm less happy to see the gills though. We may have discussed the gill topic before, but to me they look silly and make no sense.
    I think we may have touched on the issue before but I totally forgot? I personally love the gills, I feel it helps the Marvel Atlanteans feel more like aquatic people. I also enjoy when there are more fish like features to some of them, and varying looks/skin colors/hair colors rather than it all be so monotone. King in Black: Namor did a great job of showing variation.

What does everyone else think of gills/fish like features in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I didn't care for the ... tragedy in this issue, at all, but I'm biased. Also, his kid at least should be far more durable.

Do you think Maestro is a good guy?

Namor is playing the Atlantean hero here and he's not written as the total abrasive a$$hole that many modern writers portray him as.
    Yeah, it's more of the same ending we are used to for Namor; his loved ones not making it, like I should have expected it but I had a day where I was like: Oh wow! maybe Namor gets to be happy with a family in this one universe! lol, I was very wrong.

Namor written here is already way better than Avengers, I just hate Aaron's Namor writing so much.

I did finally catch up on the 2 issues. I like them a lot, it's great to see Jim too. Ultimately it's a Hulk book, and even though he's evil, Maestro will stomp Namor and everyone else.
    Yeah it's totally a Hulk book but I hope Namor gives Maestro hell for what he did.

I think we may have touched on the issue before but I totally forgot? I personally love the gills, I feel it helps the Marvel Atlanteans feel more like aquatic people. I also enjoy when there are more fish like features to some of them, and varying looks/skin colors/hair colors rather than it all be so monotone. King in Black: Namor did a great job of showing variation.

What does everyone else think of gills/fish like features in general?
    Skin tones are great, they can easily be explained as environmental adaptation from the two Atlantean races that developed: The Atlanteans in the Atlantic with various tones in blue, and the Lemurians in the Pacific with various tones of green. The problem I have with gills, or specifically external gills on the neck is that the Atlanteans are not fish. They are not "fish-people', they are not half-fish or mutant fish like beings. They are humans who, by some yet unexplained mystery, were able to adapt to life in the sea. The other issue is that fish have to gulp water into their mouths and pump that water through their gills, which are located in their mouths at the sides of their heads. How exactly does it work if Namor has them on his neck? Are the gills meant to travel all the way through the muscle and flesh of his neck to get to his mouth or esophagus so he can pump water from his mouth into them? I get that most people will just see gills and think okay gills equals fish guy, so he can breath under water. And I know this is way over thinking fantasy comic book logic, but unfortunately my mind does go there.

Also, gills are a very sensitive organ, and if I were facing Namor in a fight, the first thing I'd do was punch him in the side of the neck and watch him keel over in pain. Like to a kick to the pearls if you know what I mean.

Yeah, it's more of the same ending we are used to for Namor; his loved ones not making it, like I should have expected it but I had a day where I was like: Oh wow! maybe Namor gets to be happy with a family in this one universe! lol, I was very wrong.

Namor written here is already way better than Avengers, I just hate Aaron's Namor writing so much.

Yeah it's totally a Hulk book but I hope Namor gives Maestro hell for what he did.
    I was surprised Namor's wife was so thoughtfully designed only to be killed off after being in the back of like 4 panels.

Oh, and Toro is Namor's mole in Maestro's kingdom?
    Last edited by Doombot; 03-24-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Skin tones are great, they can easily be explained as environmental adaptation from the two Atlantean races that developed: The Atlanteans in the Atlantic with various tones in blue, and the Lemurians in the Pacific with various tones of green. The problem I have with gills, or specifically external gills on the neck is that the Atlanteans are not fish. They are not "fish-people', they are not half-fish or mutant fish like beings. They are humans who, by some yet unexplained mystery, were able to adapt to life in the sea. The other issue is that fish have to gulp water into their mouths and pump that water through their gills, which are located in their mouths at the sides of their heads. How exactly does it work if Namor has them on his neck? Are the gills meant to travel all the way through the muscle and flesh of his neck to get to his mouth or esophagus so he can pump water from his mouth into them? I get that most people will just see gills and think okay gills equals fish guy, so he can breath under water. And I know this is way over thinking fantasy comic book logic, but unfortunately my mind does go there.

Also, gills are a very sensitive organ, and if I were facing Namor in a fight, the first thing I'd do was punch him in the side of the neck and watch him keel over in pain. Like to a kick to the pearls if you know what I mean.

I was surprised Namor's wife was so thoughtfully designed only to be killed off after being in the back of like 4 panels.

Oh, and Toro is Namor's mole in Maestro's kingdom?
    That's understandable, I personally like to think about the science behind comic stuff too, like how I stick to the headcanon that Atlanteans are all mildly telepathic bc of the golden age era writing, and sound doesn't really travel underwater. I think that the original Atlanteans who first fell would be the closest to human like but as the centuries went on then their bodies mutated to fit their environment. Namor himself is a hybrid and so it's why he has the ability to do both, but this brings up the question of lungs vs fish respiratory systems, so imo Namor would have both, or the Atlanteans have them but unless they are simulated through their potions/science then it's like a dormant organ. Sometimes it's hard to make things fit but I would rather have some fantasy science in the lore if that makes sense?

Yes, I do think it's that Toro who is the mole but it really doesn't explain how he is able to live so long unless of course his Horton cells/mutant/inhuman genes helped, poor guy went through like 2 retcons.

That's understandable, I personally like to think about the science behind comic stuff too, like how I stick to the headcanon that Atlanteans are all mildly telepathic bc of the golden age era writing, and sound doesn't really travel underwater. I think that the original Atlanteans who first fell would be the closest to human like but as the centuries went on then their bodies mutated to fit their environment. Namor himself is a hybrid and so it's why he has the ability to do both, but this brings up the question of lungs vs fish respiratory systems, so imo Namor would have both, or the Atlanteans have them but unless they are simulated through their potions/science then it's like a dormant organ. Sometimes it's hard to make things fit but I would rather have some fantasy science in the lore if that makes sense?

Yes, I do think it's that Toro who is the mole but it really doesn't explain how he is able to live so long unless of course his Horton cells/mutant/inhuman genes helped, poor guy went through like 2 retcons.
    I understand this, and agree. The canon Atlanteans already show us great adaptations for sea life, their durability and resistance to deep water pressure, and ability to move through water without the resistance it creates for us, which gives them their great strength and speed. Their vision in low light and almost total darkness, and also their ability to live in freezing temperatures as well as temperate or tropical seas. That being said land vertebrates have returned to the see on multiple occasions throughout history, the great marine reptiles, sea turtle, whales & porpoises and pinnipeds (seals and walrus etc) and while they all evolved and adapted beautifully to life in the oceans, none of them re-evolved gills. Of course, none of them can breathe under water. All of that being said, it leaves us in the same place, how did the Atlanteans come to breathe directly underwater? It would have to be something wholly unique, as gills cannot be retroactively evolved. I'm sure something gill-like could evolve, but where? The Atlaneans are virtually unchanged physically, they still speak and make sound from their throats and have noses, so I would assume they must have had some adaptation to their lung system itself. Their lungs would have had to evolve in such a way that they became a gill-like oxygen filter system in place of their lung system. The act of breathing in the water and exhaling it would process the oxygen internally, essentially giving them internal gills.

If it had to be fish like gills, they should really be placed as two slits along the bottom jawline, starting close to the base of the ear, down towards the chin. This would give them the ability to pump the water through the gills via the mouth and breathing in water.

Im sure these are answers to questions no one on earth ever asked, but hey, we're Sub-Mariner nerds. Does anyone know how this is dealt with over at DC? Does Aquaman have gills? I'm also worried about how the MCU will handle this. I have visions of gill people like Kevin Costner in WaterWorld with gills behind his ears or the hideous torso gills on the character "The Deep" from the series The Boys. No one really finds these characters "cool" or "inspiring".
    Last edited by Doombot; 03-24-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Somethings to think about, with the gill, breathe/speak thing.

If these gills operate like a fish, as suggested, how do you speak as you're also intaking water to breathe?

Toro per most recent retcon has Inhuman genes, which have been stimulated more than once by agents that interact in ways that alter/give powers.
    But some Inhumans are long-lived on their own, so Judgement Call, he could be long lived per Inhuman genes, or "something else"
    Didn't Bucky bring him back to life with the Cosmic Cube? So maybe some effect of that also gives him increased lifespan. Whatever.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all