Page 2 of 238 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I guess you are right. I am looking forward to some interplay with Victor and Namor. I did make a start on my quotes section but I am going to have to work on it more tomorrow.

I found the reading guide image but I don't know if I can work it in now. I've already listed a lot of them in text. Oh well, I'll look into that and see what I can do with it. Onward into 2022!
    I'd love to see a 616 SVTU, but I think Kang is going to keep Doctor Doom busy this year.

Awesome! I'm calling it an evening too. I'll touch base with you tomorrow -- though it may be in the evening.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Hoping 2022 will be AWESOME for Namor

Happy New Year to Namor and fans .

Happy New Year to Marvel's First Hero/Anti-hero/Villain/All-Around-Badass

7789914-namor_the_best_defense_vol_1_1_stevens_variant_textless.jpg

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Happy New Year everyone!

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

So, do we think that Namor will have any role in the upcoming Avengers vs Eternals vs X-Men? I wonder if any of the writers will remember what Robinson was doing in All New Invaders with the Eternals and the GodWhisperer? That would be a handy thing to have.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Happy New Year to my fellow Atlanteans! 2022 its projecting to be a year of activity for Namor within Marvel Comics and other media.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Good to see you this year, Thor-El!

I certainly hope that projection occurs. But I know I can always count on the Namor fans, like yourself and ImperiusWrecked, to help us out of any droughts.

Astonishing Member

Been reading Silver Age Namor and it's surprising very good. Tiger Shark, Stingray and Namorita are some of my favorite characters so I'm looking forward to seeing them in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Been reading Silver Age Namor and it's surprising very good. Tiger Shark, Stingray and Namorita are some of my favorite characters so I'm looking forward to seeing them in this series.
    Awesome! Namor's 1968 series is still one my all time favorite runs. I wish we could have kept Big John Buscema on the book longer, but I'm glad we had him on the book at all. Tiger Shark will be along very quickly. As I said before, I think he has great potential to be a really fantastic rogue for Namor, but too many later writers short changed him.

Stingray is another character that I think should get more development, especially given he's got one of the coolest costumes in the MU. Though, that may also be my fondness for Jacques Cousteau shows peeking out.

Namorita, however, you have a wait for, since I believe her first appearance is Subby 50.

Or did you start with Tales to Astonish, with Gene Colan on the art?
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-02-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Awesome! Namor's 1968 series is still one my all time favorite runs. I wish we could have kept Big John Buscema on the book longer, but I'm glad we had him on the book at all. Tiger Shark will be along very quickly. As I said before, I think he has great potential to be a really fantastic rogue for Namor, but too many later writers short changed him.

Stingray is another character that I think should get more development, especially given he's got one of the coolest costumes in the MU. Though, that may also be my fondness for Jacques Cousteau shows peeking out.

Namorita, however, you have a wait for, since I believe her first appearance is Subby 50.

Or did you start with Tales to Astonish, with Gene Colan on the art?
    I started with Astonishing. I actually already read through 2 appearances of Tiger Shark. I was on my cell phone when I typed that and was too lazy to type a separation sentence for Tiger Shark. I started reading comics in the '90s and have read several from the '70s and '80s so it's fun to see how my favorite characters got started in the Silver Age. For instance, I didn't know that Stingray's first appearance was as Walter Newell and didn't take the Stingray name until much later (No spoilers please, haven't read the issue that Walter dons the Stingray suit).

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Virtually all of Namor's cast, villains and supporting characters, are woefully underdeveloped. TigerShark is the prime example. He should be a major threat across the MU, he's basically a Sabretooth type character but with power at Namor's level, who can easily tussle with Hulk, Thor & Hercules. He should be absolutely terrifying to anyone encountering him. Instead, he's languished as a D-list guest villain at best, since the 70s. There's a number of reasons for this, but one of the main reasons I think, is that he's never been able to break out of the Silver Age "thug" or "goon" type villainy. He's never been given the modern age treatment or "update". This goes for many of the Sub-Mariner's characters. I have lots of ideas of how to fix TigerShark, but unless I'm magically given a Namor book to work on, our only hope is that Marvel eventually puts a good team on a Subby book.

The original '60s series of Namor with Tiger Shark, Dianne etc, were amongst the most thrilling stories I read as a kid. I agree totally.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Tiger Shark is so underused, I wish Marvel writers would use him more than Attuma when they need an underwater threat sometimes. I love what was done with Attuma in King in Black: Namor and adding layers to his character and that def needs to happen to Tiger Shark too.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Virtually all of Namor's cast, villains and supporting characters, are woefully underdeveloped. TigerShark is the prime example. He should be a major threat across the MU, he's basically a Sabretooth type character but with power at Namor's level, who can easily tussle with Hulk, Thor & Hercules. He should be absolutely terrifying to anyone encountering him. Instead, he's languished as a D-list guest villain at best, since the 70s. There's a number of reasons for this, but one of the main reasons I think, is that he's never been able to break out of the Silver Age "thug" or "goon" type villainy. He's never been given the modern age treatment or "update". This goes for many of the Sub-Mariner's characters. I have lots of ideas of how to fix TigerShark, but unless I'm magically given a Namor book to work on, our only hope is that Marvel eventually puts a good team on a Subby book.
    I agree, he should be scary as heck. I'm not sure if he's quite as powerful as Namor, but SHARK TEETH.

I would LOVE to see you on a Subby book! Your art is wonderful and you've obviously done some thinking on the character and the world.

Sadly, I think the main problem is Namor hasn't really had a modern ongoing book. I keep saying, every writer wanting to make a name for themselves, should be knocking down Marvel's door with a modern, definitive pitch for Namor. Like what Fraction and Aja did for Iron Fist and Hawkeye. What JMS and Copiel did for Thor. What Michelinie and Layton did for Iron Man. What Brubaker did for Cap and Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    The original '60s series of Namor with Tiger Shark, Dianne etc, were amongst the most thrilling stories I read as a kid. I agree totally.
    I have to agree. Those Roy Thomas and John Buscema stories were GOLD to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Tiger Shark is so underused, I wish Marvel writers would use him more than Attuma when they need an underwater threat sometimes. I love what was done with Attuma in King in Black: Namor and adding layers to his character and that def needs to happen to Tiger Shark too.
    I have some issues / questions about Attuma from KiB, but I agree. I'm less fond of the character. Especially when he gets used as a stand in for Namor, as he is in far too many cartoons.

As I've said before, I think Tiger Shark has potential as a dark shadow of Namor. His super powers come from Namor's DNA. I think the only person, other than Roy Thomas, that tried to develop the character was Bob Harras, in his underrated run, where Tamara pointed out he had elements of Namor about him.

Though, I don't really understand where all the "mutations" that change his appearance and mental facilities come from. He seems to have the same problem Namorita had with her unstable genetics or something.