Page 47 of 238 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Late to this gills convo but I like how the gills are portrayed during the short-lived NAMOR YA back when Marvel was trying to bring in the Young Adult reading crowd.

but then again, the location seemed to fluctuate from behind the ear to further down the neck during the same period.
    Yes ... and I think those panels are both by Larroca. I think Lee Weeks, of all people, did an issue or two. I loved the art in that mini-series. The story, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Namor has had gills since the 70s but they have been visible on and off throughout the years due to artists not knowing even though it was a plot point for a comic arc. I do love when they are visible!
    Yep. But they keep moving around! I do admit, behind the ears seems a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I feel like Namor was trying to avoid conflict/talk Hulk/Maestro down but like then all bets were off when his family was killed.

Thanks for the Congrats!!! : D I was SO PLEASED when I saw my namesake in today's comic and now it's canon! It's funny bc I had taken a spoken line by Namor from Roast of the Fantastic Four, and added the -ed at the end to get Imperius Wrecked and now years later it's in the comics!

Attachment 122097

Attachment 122098

I do think mentally Namor is not in the right place and his subconscious family was both of his sides warring within him, Nuuma would have talked him down if Leonard ll hadn't stopped her. I'm not pleased with the "Mad King" plot but it's almost a sure thing these days that every writer wants to do this :/
    Definitely. That's what has apparently prompted this new episode. And yes, it was obviously meant to represent the Good Devil and the Bad Devil, but I just didn't see even a delusional Namor.

And you should be! Named in comic book! You are CANON!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Sorry, I know you have to keep a tight handle on me when it comes to Namor and S-- umm, the FF.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Sorry, I know you have to keep a tight handle on me when it comes to Namor and S-- umm, the FF.
    LOL! Uhn, yeah, the FF.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Even Franklin has Namor's gills in Grand Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Oh dear.

Of course, we all have gills at some point. Yeah, that's the story. ;p

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    As far as I know that isn't strictly 616, but an AU or some alternate retelling of events. Franklin isn't Namor's son in the 616.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yes ... and I think those panels are both by Larroca. I think Lee Weeks, of all people, did an issue or two. I loved the art in that mini-series. The story, not so much.
    I know, right?! Sadly, Lee Weeks only did the last three covers (#10; #11; #12) to close-out the series.

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-23-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Links.

lolololLOLOLOLOL
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I just love being playful. The life is too short!
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Sadly, Lee Weeks only did the last three covers (#10; #11; #12) to close-out the series.

Ah, for some reason I thought he did the interiors, but yes, you are correct, Weeks only did the covers.

lolololLOLOLOLOL
    I just love being playful. The life is too short!
    Indeed! Far better to enjoy our little pleasures.

The MCU course is clear in response to DCEU going with a very visually Namor-esque take with their Aquaman on the big screen: Go with the clean cut regal version with their adaptation of the Sub-Mariner...
    Early "leaks" and rumors would seem to confirm they are on that track. Though the possible casting of Tenoch Huerta, would make both Atlantean kings tan/brown skinned (but that ain't a bad thing).
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/bl...new-promo-art/
    https://twitter.com/MyTimeToShineH/status/1528843708602503171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1528843708602503171%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditm edia.com%2Fmediae zmbed%2Fuwacd3%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Df a lse
    As I said before, I'm all for a classic look for Namor. I do think that if the MCU is true to the character, people will have zero problem distinguishing between Namor and Aquaman.

I am also still holding out that all these rumors about Namor in Black Panther are just that. I don't care who they cast as Namor, as long as the actor is fantastic, charismatic, and can pull off the character in all his vibrant and dramatic self, is a physical presence, and sexy as heck.

I'm mostly not against this casting. Namor should be somewhat exotic looking, compared to most of us.

It is why I don't want the 4 to have major changes in terms of casting, but I get called out for that.
    Is it really wrong to want a property to look like the property?
    Of course not. But I think it's more important for the actor to capture the essence of the character than fit an appearance checklist. Sort of the Hugh Jackman test.

Institutionalized racism and representation are the enemies of having a "Lily White" property in this day and age. Namor McKenzie, being the epitome of "mixed race" should be off the charts in that regard.
    That's definitely part of the character, since his inception, and part of what I meant by capturing the essence of the character. It is one of my major annoyances with Aquaman, actually with Marvel for letting them do it, appropriating the emphasis on Aquaman's mixed race.

Not quite his classic Namor, but a lovely Jae Lee Namor commission.

Of course not. But I think it's more important for the actor to capture the essence of the character than fit an appearance checklist. Sort of the Hugh Jackman test.
    I have been an actor, over 40 years ago, certainly not a great one, lol.

But I feel that various great actors go to great lengths (mostly men) to make themselves look like the character they're portraying.

Oldman, comes to mind, Dracula, Gordon, others.

So I don't feel it is wrong to expect both

A good actor, male or female, playing a role that is well known or to some degree

and they can be identified as the character right from the get go.

It really shouldn't be hard to find, seek good actors who resemble the character.

What everyone else is talking about, or it seems, is reinventing with a feeling towards modern relevant demographics.

I'm not opposed to that mostly, but sometimes I think it is just being overdone, mostly in the case of the 4.

Several weeks ago when I entered this debate, someone said

You can change anyone else's background/race/etc except The Thing

He has to stay Jewish! Okay, 1, partially Jewish so not offensive in any way

But, the Ben is Jewish only became more canon in the last 20 years?

So I found that disingenuous. Why cannot all 4 be the same more or less as originally presented?

In all the 60 years of their appearances, Ben being Jewish was not a major plot point.

I love it, and I of course wouldn't change that, it really adds a lot to the character,

but for Goddess' sake, why can't we see that the other should also retain their zeitgeist ?
    ~ Oberon ~

Ps: I do believe that talk of this casting should be okay here, because

I too am not looking forward to BP2 if it is Namor there.

I think the FF should be the ones to give us Namor,

the Inhumans (new/retcon?) and many of the other properties they were so instrumental in bringing.

Do we want the Guardians to fight Galactus?

Not until the FF do!

Do we want the Avengers to fight Giganto when Namor uses that horn?

No! Must be the FF!

and on and on.
    ~ Oberon ~

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Ah, well you've come to the right place to find out about the awesomeness that is Namor! Welcome!

Overall, I enjoyed Zdarsky's Namor, though I did have some issues with the story line. You could tell Zdarsky loves the character and he portrayed him very sympathetically, I thought. Much like Milligan and Ribic's Sub-Mariner the Depths, Zdarsky / Magno / Guice Invaders book was a great read. He took a sensitive real life subject into the superhero venue and for the most part, conveyed the trauma honestly and emotionally. That said, neither book exactly was 616 Namor, IMO -- though Zdarsky would claim otherwise, I'm sure.

There were too many retcons that didn't make sense / fit in with 616 Namor. The whole amnesia era was off, like DID Namor have amnesia, or not? Why wouldn't all these people he was interacting with NOT tell him he was an Atlantean Prince? Oh wait, he DID go back and forth to Atlantis. And if all that stuff happened with Professor X, WHY was it never referred to before? Also, why did Namor let Professor X off with zero consequences, after all he did to him?

Plus, I've always refused to believe that the sliding timeline would NOT be applied to Namor's post Atlas era "disappearance" cause it makes zero sense that the Atlanteans (as well as Krang and Byrrah and Attuma) would wait around for their ruler for half a century, not to mention, Lady Dorma.

Also, I know Zdarsky wanted to push the Cap and Namor relationship, but in the comics, it is clearly Namor and Jim Hammond that have that special bond. So it was really painful to see what happened between Namor and Hammond and not have it addressed at all in the end.

I really don't care for all the 'mad king' story lines or "explanations" for Namor's mercurial nature. If you read about the Atlanteans, it's very clear, they are a very ... emotional people. Not to mention, Namor was raised to be a king -- with all the good and bad that entails. The idea that he's had this artificial construct in his head since the 1950s that we've never seen or heard of since then? Questionable to say the least.
    Thanks for your elaborate answer!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)