Page 56 of 238 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Yes, from Defenders (1972) #84

It would make more sense to make Namor an Anti Hero type and to be honest this storyline is very good in terms of Namor's part etc. unlike anything with Namor & Black Panther post Phoenix Namor. As for Attuma, well Atlanteans are long lived, so I tend to not care so much of they both look near the same age and it's just part of the suspension of disbelief one goes into fantasy stories with.

I hope this will spark Marvel to get off their butts and get someone on a long ongoing Namor comic.
    Unless it is Battlescars.

Good point on the Atlantean ages and Attuma and Andromeda.

Well, except for the Defenders turning on Namor. Honestly, I can't remember any encounter with Black Panther that was good for Namor. Though after AvX, it was a giant mess.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay thanks, those are all well put.

Unfortunately MCU Namor may be a divergent character here probably because they want to downplay any perceived similarities Aquaman and make him more "distinct". And the shift to Mesoamerican myth is probably because Greco-Roman myth is so ubiquitous they felt ambitious and wanted to give Namor a more unique flavor.

Its unfortunate but its what we're getting. Hopefully whoever is casted plays a good Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I admit that while I do like mesoamerican mythology, to do this with namor seems a little out out of place, I get that he can't be a mutant, I mean they could have at least made him the avatar of Chalchiuhtlicue, the aztec goddess of the sea, though I suppose that name would be hard to pronounce.
    It is a completely out of the blue change for Namor.

Like the comics, they can reveal Namor as an X-gene mutant at a later date.

Wasn't familiar with that Aztec goddess. Looked her up and it's interesting that her people had to turn into fishes when she was the sun goddess. Hmmmm.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Not sure where this is from but it's being touted as promo art for 'Namora' though it clearly is NOT Namora. Are those feathers? Or giant lion fish fins??

Those are gigantic Lionfish quills/spines. This may be Namorita, Andromeda or someone new.

I can't help but feel these new MCU designs are a little too similar to the Mer-Folk designs done for the Magic The Gathering games:

Last edited by Doombot; 07-03-2022 at 03:01 AM.

I've been reading for a few, umm, many pages on this.

My thoughts are Black Panther succeeded on levels far greater than comic fan. I of course went to see it on opening day, way back.
    I live in Detroit (or have as a child, up until 35 or so).

And we have major black population in the metro area.
    I'm pretty sure most of the people I saw in the audience were Blacks first

and Black Panther fans second. Many of them rose as soon as the credits ran.

Some fans said to them, wait, it's not over, but they didn't listen.

Black Panther succeeded in some ways because of the virtual, breathtaking look at an African, advanced and beautiful culture.
    Every thing was perfect.

They, the producers etc, feel that was key, and so they wish to again present a never quite realized or seen

advanced, ancient culture.
    So they picked mesoAmerica and I'm sure that just as much went into this idea as

not wanting to look like Aquaman/Atlantis.

Of course it sucks, even though I can appreciate MesoAmerican/cultures - I am your resident Pantheist/Pagan, snort.

*** Let's look at the bright side

to me, if they do indeed pick a non-Blonde to be Sue in FF (I've heard there is a new Latino actor choice!)

Then Sue and Namor won't really be Sue and Namor during the inevitable 'that plot'.

Let the games begin!
    Last edited by Oberon; 07-03-2022 at 06:38 AM.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

As I read your comment, I wonder if combining is what they're going for?

Because Atlantis is so supposed to be so ancient, that it spawned all these cultures.

Despite some evidence, the MCU/producers do seem to play long games so I wonder if this 'Namor'
    spins out into his own movie

which would truly explain the legend.

Namor: The Search for Atlantis. Namor finds out that he is more and less than what he thought and begins his own epic search for his true origins and maybe something that connects them to other undersea beings

and of course the true Atlantis.

In some fantasy movies and fiction, Atlantis colonies Egypt and remote places perhaps the South American forests, where there are quite still some controversies about ancient folks.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I look at these designs and I'm sure I'm onto something.

They wanted (like the first BP movie) to show an incredible rich and different culture.
    That is really one of the take aways of the first movie and they probably

expect people to want more, so this is in the plan.

The one figure looks like Shuri as an Atlantean-cum-MesoAmerican.
    ~ Oberon ~

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The Mesoamerican thing is an odd choice, but I do think it can work as a contrast to Wakanda, so I'm willing to give it a chance. I think the foot gear does make the wings work better, imo. That being said, the Jaguar headdress is weird as is the whole Jaguar god thing. It seems weird pushing it so far from Poseidon/Neptune. It feels almost like they had two ideas - one was to have a Maya mythos incorporated and the other was to have Atlantis and they sort of squished them together.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

They have Namor’s image out as well, not sure if folks consider it spoilers or not but I saved it.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm waiting to see the full context before judging anything so any replies from me will be on the positive side with hope that the characters are done justice in this movie.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I'm waiting to see the full context before judging anything so any replies from me will be on the positive side with hope that the characters are done justice in this movie.
    Admirably optimistic of you, IW! But surely you aren't happy that MCU Namor won't be yelling, Imperius Rex!! ;p

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    They have Namor’s image out as well, not sure if folks consider it spoilers or not but I saved it.

Yes, I have seen it and it looks somewhat promising. I know it's probably been brought up here already but it's too bad Marvel took a while to get going with Namor. DC's Aquaman beat them to the punch and succeeded in staying mostly faithful to the character...except he looked more like Jae Lee's version of Namor! Maybe this is why Marvel felt they needed to make some alterations to the character. I really would rather he stay Atlantean.

Cover from the 2019 John Byrne Jae Lee Namor omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Those are gigantic Lionfish quills/spines. This may be Namorita, Andromeda or someone new.

I can't help but feel these new MCU designs are a little too similar to the Mer-Folk designs done for the Magic The Gathering games:

I hadn't seen these before, but I really love these two. Though I'm not keen on having fish butts attached to various body parts. But sure, they look similar, since they both are drawing on Mesoamerica motifs and clothing. Though with all the jade, it has a bit of Chinese vibe. Though, I do know that jade was big in Mesoamerica also.

Yeah, I think lionfish is what they were going for. So, both she and Attuma have ocean based costumes, but there's nothing aquatic about Namor's costume. Interesting. Also both rumored actors for Andromeda and Attuma are NOT listed on the IMDB for BP2.