Page 315 of 418 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 6268
  1. #4711
    Mighty Member Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What do writers even think of T'Challa at this point? Just like a generic black lead Superhero?

    A prop to make his supporting cast look good.

  2. #4712
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,105

    Default

    That's got to be some of the most un-T'Challa like dialogue I've ever read lol. Ridley really just thinks all black men have the same voice doesn't he, BP is a king not some random black dude from Gotham. He sounds completely artless and juvenile. I miss the days where T'Challa's humor was more understated, the quippiness is weird. If writers want to give him a less dour personality, cool but this is not the way to do it, especially when the circumstances are so pathetic. T'Challa don't even be calling on the gods like that and in fact he's cursed Bast's name because she was largely responsible for creating the slave empire out in space. He should be threatening to kill the HZ himself, not invoking slave gods.

    It's crazy to think we've seen T'Challa defeat superhumans without his suit but a few Hatut Zeraze are beating on him like it's a gang initiation. I can only hope there's a good explanation (extreme fatigue, poison, etc.) but I doubt it. If this preview takes place later in the issue then maybe T'Challa did some worthwhile strategy/combat earlier on and is just worn out. Though Ridley's given no reason to think he'd cover his bases by explaining why a dude who casually beats hordes of HZ can't take on less than half a dozen all of a sudden.

    It's kinda wild thinking about what this run was initially billed as and the impression Marvel was giving. We thought T'Challa was getting a new LI but that didn't pan out, she's just a spy version of the garbage ass Midnight Angels. Thought T'Challa was gonna be written as an elite strategist and he's mostly been getting outmaneuvered and is nowhere closer to figuring out who's killing his agents. Thought that the concept of brotherhood between black men (something sorely missing across various forms of media, including comics) would be elevated and instead all the black men are either getting killed by or betraying T'Challa. Thought it would be an elite, intricate espionage plot but really it's a globe trotting murder mystery where we're just waiting for Hunter to reveal himself. The book is competently written but it's not BP at this point, just an awkward parody of the MCU and Coates.

  3. #4713
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What do writers even think of T'Challa at this point? Just like a generic black lead Superhero?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A prop to make his supporting cast look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That's got to be some of the most un-T'Challa like dialogue I've ever read lol. Ridley really just thinks all black men have the same voice doesn't he, BP is a king not some random black dude from Gotham. He sounds completely artless and juvenile. I miss the days where T'Challa's humor was more understated, the quippiness is weird. If writers want to give him a less dour personality, cool but this is not the way to do it, especially when the circumstances are so pathetic. T'Challa don't even be calling on the gods like that and in fact he's cursed Bast's name because she was largely responsible for creating the slave empire out in space. He should be threatening to kill the HZ himself, not invoking slave gods.

    It's crazy to think we've seen T'Challa defeat superhumans without his suit but a few Hatut Zeraze are beating on him like it's a gang initiation. I can only hope there's a good explanation (extreme fatigue, poison, etc.) but I doubt it. If this preview takes place later in the issue then maybe T'Challa did some worthwhile strategy/combat earlier on and is just worn out. Though Ridley's given no reason to think he'd cover his bases by explaining why a dude who casually beats hordes of HZ can't take on less than half a dozen all of a sudden.

    It's kinda wild thinking about what this run was initially billed as and the impression Marvel was giving. We thought T'Challa was getting a new LI but that didn't pan out, she's just a spy version of the garbage ass Midnight Angels. Thought T'Challa was gonna be written as an elite strategist and he's mostly been getting outmaneuvered and is nowhere closer to figuring out who's killing his agents. Thought that the concept of brotherhood between black men (something sorely missing across various forms of media, including comics) would be elevated and instead all the black men are either getting killed by or betraying T'Challa. Thought it would be an elite, intricate espionage plot but really it's a globe trotting murder mystery where we're just waiting for Hunter to reveal himself. The book is competently written but it's not BP at this point, just an awkward parody of the MCU and Coates.
    He doesn't have a crown that means anything.

    He is seemingly powerless.

    His sister took his super smarts.

    He doesn't talk like T'challa at all.

    Bast abandons him or chastises me.

    He isn't even 1 step ahead of anyone, let alone 10 steps.


    I mean... is this even T'challa at this point?

    and then top it off as the story is boring and stupid... ain't like he is writing T'challa like a chump to tell a great story or anything.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  4. #4714
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A prop to make his supporting cast look good.
    Pretty much. And Storm's book is already much better than T'Challa's so this is just icing on the cake for her lol. But yea, in typical Coates fashion I would not be surprised if this is the only panel time T'Challa gets considering we're 5 issues into a 8 issue story and we're literally no closer to making any major revelations about the spy-killers. At this point, all we know is they're Wakandan, which we could tell from the moment one of them cut the habit in #3(?). We're just spinning our wheels here and I hope sales crash and burn so Marvel can go back to the drawing board. Let me know how the issue goes then maybe I'll consider purchasing but I have no interest in continuing this book between the pacing issues and poor characterization (both in terms of power and personality). Too many other quality series out there to waste time on this lol.

  5. #4715
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A prop to make his supporting cast look good.
    We already know Shuri and Omo are on the way to help too.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  6. #4716
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    We already know Shuri and Omo are on the way to help too.
    Whatchu mean? Saving T'Challa's incompetent ass is Storm's job, Shuri and Omo are gonna solve the mystery and tell T'Challa how to infiltrate Wakanda lol. You're crazy for expecting agency from Black Panther in a Black Panther comic.
    Last edited by chief12d; 05-26-2022 at 10:56 AM.

  7. #4717
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    It could be seen as a "cute" call back to when she first rescued him from his captors when they were teens but...yupp...one would think T'Challa would know how to handle his own, on his own. I'm really tired of seeing everyone else running to his rescue.
    Krakoa and Planet Arakko...TO BE CONTINUED. FOREVER!!!

  8. #4718
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It could be seen as a "cute" call back to when she first rescued him from his captors when they were teens but...yupp...one would think T'Challa would know how to handle his own, on his own. I'm really tired of seeing everyone else running to his rescue.
    T'challa hasn't solved a problem by himself since he punked the Tiger God and went to beat up cosmic abstract superpowers.

    Now he gets beat up by redshirts.

    All three stories of Coates ended with T'challa getting someone else to handle his problem.

    It is stupid and pathetic at this point.

    It is like they think there are no Black Panther fans and that every person that reads the book is cool with whatever as long as its "black people"
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  9. #4719
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Tell me again that Ridley has T'Challa's best interests at heart:

    Black Panther #6 Preview

    The only reason I'm still active in this thread is the number of old friends still floating around. Between the mishandling in the comics and the overall disheartening news from the MCU, I'm not sure what we have left to appreciate.

    (I'm sure Storm fans are happy, though...)
    Noooooooooarggghhhhhhhwhaaaaatissssthisssshit
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

  10. #4720
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    87,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    T'challa hasn't solved a problem by himself since he punked the Tiger God and went to beat up cosmic abstract superpowers.

    Now he gets beat up by redshirts.

    All three stories of Coates ended with T'challa getting someone else to handle his problem.

    It is stupid and pathetic at this point.

    It is like they think there are no Black Panther fans and that every person that reads the book is cool with whatever as long as its "black people"
    It's all about Wakanda even though Wakanda can't sell a comic without T'Challa.

  11. #4721
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    T'challa hasn't solved a problem by himself since he punked the Tiger God and went to beat up cosmic abstract superpowers.

    Now he gets beat up by redshirts.

    All three stories of Coates ended with T'challa getting someone else to handle his problem.

    It is stupid and pathetic at this point.

    It is like they think there are no Black Panther fans and that every person that reads the book is cool with whatever as long as its "black people"
    Yea, the vibe I get is there's a substantial portion of BP writers (the main series and the spin-offs) that don't care about BP so much as they do representation, so the character is used as a vehicle to prop up black pet characters and have them do things that as the main character T'Challa should do himself. If Storm was a white dude no one would like this. But she's black (and a woman on top of that) so there's gonna be a portion of "fans" who are only gonna latch onto the black excellence on display rather than the fact the supposed lead has no agency and can't actually achieve anything by himself.

    In any other instance with any other character people would call this out more but Black Panther and the characters that usurp his role are black so it's not talked about enough. The only thing that happens is sales drop below 20k lol.

  12. #4722
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    I LOVE Storm. But yes...Pretty much this ^
    Krakoa and Planet Arakko...TO BE CONTINUED. FOREVER!!!

  13. #4723
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Too many other quality series out there to waste time on this lol.
    The Moon Knight book is fire right now
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  14. #4724
    Mighty Member Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    We're just spinning our wheels here and I hope sales crash and burn so Marvel can go back to the drawing board. Let me know how the issue goes then maybe I'll consider purchasing but I have no interest in continuing this book between the pacing issues and poor characterization (both in terms of power and personality). Too many other quality series out there to waste time on this lol.

    Definitely won’t be buying this issue. And I agree with hoping the sales drop.

  15. #4725
    Mighty Member Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    We already know Shuri and Omo are on the way to help too.

    It would go from bad to worse if they show up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •