Page 792 of 955 FirstFirst ... 292692742782788789790791792793794795796802842892 ... LastLast
Results 11,866 to 11,880 of 14314
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    We will see. People don't like to go to movies to leave depressed. It's why movies like Roots, 12 years a slave and the like are well received, but don't get a ton of repeat viewings, plus it being long will get to people as well
    And yet I'll never understand white, I mean why a film like Titanic, an over 3 hours long, sad love story disaster movie made over $2Billion.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    And yet I'll never understand white, I mean why a film like Titanic, an over 3 hours long, sad love story disaster movie made over $2Billion.
    Fucking James Cameron man.

Goddamn Avatar was nothing special and that still became one of the highest grossing movies ever despite leaving no cultural footprint afterwards.

Its some inexplicable shit.

I'd imagine because it didn't end and role credits at the 1m51s mark here.

Post 1m51s might have single-handedly made the movie over 2 Billion. They were literally reunited in heaven. That's the opposite of leaving the theater depressed.

Got another example?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'll be seeing the film on Sunday (I was invited to), and I'll give an honest evaluation then.

But I think that the emotional weight of the film will prevent repeat viewings, so it really doesn't matter what the scores are. It'll make Thor 4/Strange 2 money.

Also: If we followed Moore's logic, DC would stop making Batman cartoons....
    The way the movie is performing overseas with the exception of France and the UK has been disappointing to weak. Like the first movie it’ll be dependent on the domestic box office, which has responded well but not extraordinarily. It has an outside shot of reaching a billion, owing to the strong word of mouth in the States, but it’s hard to say that’ll lead to repeat viewings at the same level as the original.

People are liking the tribute aspect of the movie but the length combined with the emotional coaster of framing the film around a real man’s death might suppress long term interest. For example, my kid saw it with some friends and he said he liked it but wouldn’t watch it again because it’s “a lot”. And we’ve already seen movies with incredible scores this year not translate into box office hits (Woman King didn’t even break even) so not like good reviews will automatically mean major success.

It probably does between 900 mil and a billion, better than Thor and just above or below Strange. Which isn’t bad and very possibly what the film would’ve made even if they did recast. The second Boseman died this movie was never gonna beat the original’s numbers and when you add in the loss of China, Russia, and Ukraine the film has a lot up against it. I don’t think it’ll be the resounding success people want it to be financially but in terms of the general perception of the MCU I think this movie did what Disney wanted and left them a solid enough foundation for the franchise moving forward.

SPOILERS:
    spoilers:
    I think T’Challa Jr. is a long term solution to the recast situation. Coogler and co kicked that can down the road and will position Shuri as BP for the Multiverse Saga and BP3. We may or may not get a project about young T’Challa in the meantime. Some of the same folks who leaked key details for this movie have already hinted they want to go The Godfather route at least for a project and have T’Challa Jr. parallel his dad’s upbringing. Towards the end of Secret Wars (4-5 years from now) or a bit past that they can age him up to his mid-20s (kid’s already like 8-9). From there they can let him take over for a new BP trilogy likely handled by a new director. Coogler’s been open about how he’s not ready to use T’Challa and by then his deal with Disney will be up and he’ll probably want to do his own projects.

There’s a possibility the kid might just have been included to complete the thematic arc of the movie being about loss. That they follow through with T’Challa’s wishes and the kid never grows up with the pressure of the throne. So we’re stuck with Shuri for a decade stealing T’Challa’s stories. Kinda doubt it, naming him T’Challa is on the nose as hell and we already know that Coogler is aware of how comic T’Challa was raised up. Him being a boy king and spending part of his youth abroad fits with the comic accurate background Coogler has expressed T’Challa is supposed to have.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-12-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The way the movie is performing overseas with the exception of France and the UK has been disappointing to weak. Like the first movie it’ll be dependent on the domestic box office, which has responded well but not extraordinarily. It has an outside shot of reaching a billion, owing to the strong word of mouth in the States, but it’s hard to say that’ll lead to repeat viewings at the same level as the original.

People are liking the tribute aspect of the movie but the length combined with the emotional coaster of framing the film around a real man’s death might suppress long term interest. For example, my kid saw it with some friends and he said he liked it but wouldn’t watch it again because it’s “a lot”. And we’ve already seen movies with incredible scores this year not translate into box office hits (Woman King didn’t even break even) so not like good reviews will automatically mean major success.

It probably does between 900 mil and a billion, better than Thor and just above or below Strange. Which isn’t bad and very possibly what the film would’ve made even if they did recast. The second Boseman died this movie was never gonna beat the original’s numbers and when you add in the loss of China, Russia, and Ukraine the film has a lot up against it. I don’t think it’ll be the resounding success people want it to be financially but in terms of the general perception of the MCU I think this movie did what Disney wanted and left them a solid enough foundation for the franchise moving forward.

SPOILERS:
    spoilers:
    I think T’Challa Jr. is a long term solution to the recast situation. Coogler and co kicked that can down the road and will position Shuri as BP for the Multiverse Saga and BP3. We may or may not get a project about young T’Challa in the meantime. Some of the same folks who leaked key details for this movie have already hinted they want to go The Godfather route at least for a project and have T’Challa Jr. parallel his dad’s upbringing. Towards the end of Secret Wars (4-5 years from now) or a bit past that they can age him up to his mid-20s (kid’s already like 8-9). From there they can let him take over for a new BP trilogy likely handled by a new director. Coogler’s been open about how he’s not ready to use T’Challa and by then his deal with Disney will be up and he’ll probably want to do his own projects.

There’s a possibility the kid might just have been included to complete the thematic arc of the movie being about loss. That they follow through with T’Challa’s wishes and the kid never grows up with the pressure of the throne. So we’re stuck with Shuri for a decade stealing T’Challa’s stories. Kinda doubt it, naming him T’Challa is on the nose as hell and we already know that Coogler is aware of how comic T’Challa was raised up. Him being a boy king and spending part of his youth abroad fits with the comic accurate background Coogler has expressed T’Challa is supposed to have.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    As I’ve said before, Kang gives them the perfect excuse to age the kid up to his 20’s. And so far there seems to be no plans for a Black Panther 3 before Secret Wars. I think T’Challa will be the lead by Black Panther 3 since it seems we won’t get it until after Secret Wars. Bonus points if it gets released in 2028 just in time for the 10th anniversary of the original film.
    end of spoilers
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Which is sad because it justvgoes to show how shortsighted people are. We didn't need to wait until after the fact to see how problematic not opting to recast was. If its not the #1 complaint about the film then its a top 3 complaint. Meanwhile all these people were broadcasting their bs about no one else could be T'Challa, its disrespectful to Chadwick blah blah blah. One thing's for certain though, going forward T'Challa can't be ignored. Marvel are fully aware of this and they're going to either use the boy as a repurposed T'Challa or bring in some variant. This multiverse/time manipulation saga coupled with the fact that the son is called T'Challa gives Marvel a way to course correct (no matter how muddy) their mistake of killing the character off in the first place.
    Yeah.

I mean, TMZ of all place is highlighting how divided fans are:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/12/black...vided-tchalla/

Folks that don’t want to be spoiled shouldn’t read though, because they completely spoil the movie.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-12-2022 at 02:15 PM.

If the fans are divided into "recast/no recast," then recasting doesn't solve that problem. There'd be division no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

SPOILERS:
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Like what T'Chaka said in the BET animated show, "There is too much made to be made in misery"

This is what is looking like based on what people have said about the tone of the film and the box office prediction

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay we got a new weekend box office prediction, now its between $175 million and $185 million

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-off...er-1235169891/

2nd strongest opening weekend this year after Doc Strange 2, but they believe it could go all the way beyond 190 million. Its opening day is the 10th-highest opening day ever at $84M.

We'll see how it does over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay we got a new weekend box office prediction, now its between $175 million and $185 million

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-off...er-1235169891/

2nd strongest opening weekend this year after Doc Strange 2, but they believe it could go all the way beyond 190 million. Its opening day is the 10th-highest opening day ever at $84M.

We'll see how it does over the weekend.
    Its already at around 150 WW, here in PA I've seen normslly dead theaters quite busy, presumably for this, and its raining this whole weekend so there isn't a ton else to even do. Im thinking it could def hit 190, and it should be a pretty strong player until avatar hits and even then it will probably stay in the top 3.

Some are gonna call anything below 1.5 bil a flop but its def not gonna beat BP1. I'll be shocked if it dies. Its going to be successful though.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    If the fans are divided into "recast/no recast," then recasting doesn't solve that problem. There'd be division no matter what.
    One portion of "fans" aren't fans of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    One portion of "fans" aren't fans of the character.
    That's not true at all. You don't get to decide that, so get that gatekeeping crap out of here.

It's true by the very definition of fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    It's true by the very definition of fandom.
    No it isn't. But I know you want to feel as though you're objectively correct and have the moral high ground so, do you.

Extraordinary Member

How is the movie doing compared to past mid-November releases?