Page 910 of 955 FirstFirst ... 410810860900906907908909910911912913914920 ... LastLast
Results 13,636 to 13,650 of 14314

Damson’s probably getting more talk because he looks younger and snowfall is a more popular show than gangs of London. Also judging by the amount of dating speculation you get just by googling his name, Imma throw out a guess and say there’s a lot of women that want him in the role

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Damson’s probably getting more talk because he looks younger and snowfall is a more popular show than gangs of London. Also judging by the amount of dating speculation you get just by googling his name, Imma throw out a guess and say there’s a lot of women that want him in the role
    So he's dating Lori Harvey, huh? Good for him. He needs to tap that as best as he can, not catch feelings and bounce. I can just imagine the side eye his mother is giving both him and her lol

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

the contrast from the Alex Ross covers to this is.......drastic
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    the contrast from the Alex Ross covers to this is.......drastic
    This reminds me of the current Batman run by Zdarsky now that I think about.

Like how the protagonist is constantly self-flagellating about what a terrible person he is and how he looks like he's about to cry at the drop of a hat? Yeah you can say that about either T'Challa here or Bruce in that book.

Fuck I am tired of excessively vulnerable characters. I get you are trying to make them more human, but the opposite extreme of emotionlessly stoic is still an extreme and not a good one either.

Why can't characters be more like Kenshiro? I have been reading Fist of the North Star recently, pretty far in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Why can't characters be more like Kenshiro? I have been reading Fist of the North Star recently, pretty far in.
    It's really simple. Too many writers in comics have the following thought process:

* Premise: Heroism is not "realistic".

* Problem: I'm being paid to write about a superhero.

* Solution: I should focus exclusively on how flawed he is, and make sure that he's tormented and scolded by his supporting cast for his actions.

What they miss, of course, is that people don't buy comics for their realism... they buy them to ESCAPE reality.

As for FotNS (or any manga): When a character is being written by their creator, it's almost NEVER a deconstruction, because the character isn't constructed yet!

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It's really simple. Too many writers in comics have the following thought process:

* Solution: I should focus exclusively on how flawed he is, and make sure that he's tormented and scolded by his supporting cast for his actions.

What they miss, of course, is that people don't buy comics for their realism... they buy them to ESCAPE reality.

As for FotNS (or any manga): When a character is being written by their creator, it's almost NEVER a deconstruction, because the character isn't constructed yet!
    Sometimes I think writers may be writing for people on twitter who think they're so smart for saying things like "If batman used his money, he could wipe out crime in Gotham!" or "Why don't superheroes make a better world instead of face-punching? These are original thoughts that I have had and I am definitely not influenced by a small internet hivemind that spends too much time inhaling it's own flatulence!"

It's an obsession with subversion and getting one over on the audience. It's not clever, it's just lazy.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Like how the protagonist is constantly self-flagellating about what a terrible person he is and how he looks like he's about to cry at the drop of a hat? Yeah you can say that about either T'Challa here or Bruce in that book.

Fuck I am tired of excessively vulnerable characters. I get you are trying to make them more human, but the opposite extreme of emotionlessly stoic is still an extreme and not a good one either.

Nah. Zdarsky's Batman is just having a bad week.

Black Panther is just ages of self-inflicted pain and "it be your own people". The only good BP book out now is All-Out Avengers. What a sad state of affairs.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Nah. Zdarsky's Batman is just having a bad week.

Black Panther is just ages of self-inflicted pain and "it be your own people". The only good BP book out now is All-Out Avengers. What a sad state of affairs.
    I think its a change in writing characters.

Like in the 2000s BP was a fairly straight forward stoic character. He's not emotionless but he's pretty reserved for the most part.

Current writers though want to emphasize the "humanity" of the character beyond typical action hero traits like anger and rage. They want them to feel human and the result is having them be very emotional. The current crop of writers really want T'Challa to be human and as a result they made him a little whiney bitch.

Its always an issue people have with stoic characters, confusing being reserved for being boring. Its why an entire generation of fans could not understand the Jedi Order because they literally cannot comprehend the idea that monks are reserved and orderly.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

Yeah the problem is that writers of today have a very pessimistic view of the world and want to inject that negativity onto the comics because they want everyone to feel as miserable as they do and think that everyone should have such poor views. They lost the spark and excitement and power Fantasy of a larger than life hero who can do they things us normal humans can't.

Or atleast. Thats the case for T'Challa

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

Wow. Checking the old pages was a bad idea.

What's with that slap? Pretty sure Megan Thee Stallion could hit a brother harder than that.
    "Cable was right!"

it's much easier to deconstruct a character than write a story like say, All Star Superman i guess.

I'm gonna be that guy and remind everyone here, after TChalla gets whatever nonsense he's getting in this issue and the next (and the next and the next)... there's still an issue where Namor shows up, which isn't gonna be good for either fanbase
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Wow. Checking the old pages was a bad idea.

What's with that slap? Pretty sure Megan Thee Stallion could hit a brother harder than that.
    Ridley's nerfed everything about T'Challa, because if he was going by continuity, he would have backhanded Jhai into the IGEW like he did to Nakia and Backhand Barry

Spectacular Member talentedbutnot's Avatar

RIP...T'Challa Backhand.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by talentedbutnot View Post

RIP...T'Challa Backhand.
    Now this is T'challa, sadly the MCU never had this badass. They would never have T'challa slap the taste of that clowns Tonys mouth

Quote Originally Posted by talentedbutnot View Post

RIP...T'Challa Backhand.
    On that note, when did the Hatute Zeraze come back?

Didn't T'Challa hate these guys and had them dissolved as one of his first king decisions, when did they get reinstituted as a branch of the military?