Page 837 of 955 FirstFirst ... 337737787827833834835836837838839840841847887937 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,555 of 14314

Freaking dr strange 2 made 900

Not making a billion off the back of the last movie is failing.

Anything else is copium and goalpost moving
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    A Harley movie would have been a success like Joker If they did Gotham Sirens instead of Birds Of Prey.
    Apparently they were barred for using major Batman characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy so they instead lifted to the BoP.

Funnily enough the movie may have done better if it was PG-13 as most of Harley's fanbase is teenage girls and what not. Even more funny is most people who watched the film tend to agree that the R-Rating was pretty gratuitous so it prolly would have been better if it was pg-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    Don't disagree here but it does make me wonder if Disney has been pleased with its current slate of films? I doubt they are. Arguably, most underperformed or underwhelmed, with the exception of No Way Home (and the fate of Wakanda Forever hasn't been written yet). I have little doubt they would love for Wakanda Forever to repeat the first Black Panther's performance. This was designed to be an event movie, one that would save Hollywood. Wakanda Forever says goodbye to Chadwick Boseman, threw Namor into the mix, created Talokan, mentioned mutants, introduced Riri Williams and Aneka, and debuted the new Black Panther, so all these things should've popped with the mass audience. Plus, we got a return of many of the first BP supporting cast which everyone claimed to love so much in 2018. This movie should be a surefire smash. Truthfully, it still might be, though I don't see it reaching the box office of the first Black Panther, and I definitely don't see it exceeding it. That's not totally the fault of Wakanda Forever from a quality standpoint, there are limitations built into the nature of the business. However, some of the box office disparity will be because of creative decisions that a large enough number of moviegoers (or potential moviegoers) didn't agree with. Others might be with the content of the film itself. I have not seen it, but it feels like a film that doesn't need a lot of repeat business.
    Heh why does Aneka warrant mention alongside all of that? I mean Riri I get but Aneka I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Add another 150M for marketing (if not more) and the breakeven point is 800M.
    Forgot to add that in

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Freaking dr strange 2 made 900

Not making a billion off the back of the last movie is failing.

Anything else is copium and goalpost moving
    How is it goal post moving. Nobody anywhere thought this film would make as much as the first. Not in this topic nor any of the experts.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    How is it goal post moving. Nobody anywhere thought this film would make as much as the first. Not in this topic nor any of the experts.
    Failure is the wrong word I think WF will hugely underperform in comparison to the first movie in its own franchise and perform more or less the same as most Marvel Studios movies in phase 4 with the exception of MoM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Failure is the wrong word I think WF will hugely underperform in comparison to the first movie in its own franchise and perform more or less the same as most Marvel Studios movies in phase 4 with the exception of MoM.
    Sure, this I can agree with. But that's not what the other poster meant.

Youre forgetting spider man, it made a billion in a much rougher covid climate.

Maverick made a billion

An awful jurassic park made a billion

Strange made 900, a massive increase from the first.

If bp2 doesnt get a billion, it failed
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

incorrect.

how much did it cost to make?
    how much did it cost to advertise?

double that and it's a hit.

as those costs don't add up to half a billion dollars, BP2 is sure to break even and turn a profit.

profits determine failures, not audience public response. we'll see how it shakes out but not hitting a billion is not a fail.

and, no, i haven't seen it yet. probably won't see it theaters because i don't do crowds anymore.

Niffleheim

Youre forgetting spider man, it made a billion in a much rougher covid climate.

Maverick made a billion

An awful jurassic park made a billion

Strange made 900, a massive increase from the first.

Spider-Man NWH is a Sony movie

So long as the "expectation of failure" is baked in the projection then it isn't a failure in Disney/Marvel Studios POV
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-19-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I never expected the movie to outright bomb or anything but it not being a huge billion dollar mega-success is in a weird way a win

If it was that successful then they would be obsessed with replicating the films success and they would definitely be wiping T'Challa from everything they have to replace him with Shuri.

Its like the Birds of Prey movie. Had that movie been ultra successful then the already ongoing Harley mania would have become even more obnoxious than it already was. But it didn't, it instead underperformed and the fact Harley's big movie wasn't the big booster success they were looking for meant the Harley pushing got dialed down.

So the movie only having a healthy level of success is good for the character because it means Disney won't lose their mind with absolute greed.
    It's weird how much people shift to the excuses for why this isn't doing that great. They say the holidays as if February wasn't also a dead month for movies as well when the first came out. Instead they try to cast blame when the reality is they should of delayed the. Recast

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    incorrect.

as those costs don't add up to half a billion dollars, BP2 is sure to break even and turn a profit.

profits determine failures, not audience public response. we'll see how it shakes out but not hitting a billion is not a fail.

and, no, i haven't seen it yet. probably won't see it theaters because i don't do crowds anymore.
    All things considered the most you can say is these movies are too expensive

A +250 million budget is pretty insane and only really feasible with the brand Marvel built for itself

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Add another 150M for marketing (if not more) and the breakeven point is 800M.
    Where did you get 150 million dollars for marketing?
    Now if it is 150 million for marketing the break even point is 650 million.

Marketing these days is usually 100 million.
    The break even point is not 800 million even if it is 150 million.

From what i understand or read you don't do 100/150 million twice,that's only for making the film.
    If a film cost 250 million to make you have add another 250 million,so that's 500 million plus 100 for marketing.
    For black panther 2 the marketing is 100 million.
    So the break even point is around 600 million.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-19-2022 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Where did get 150 million dollars for marketing.
    Marketing these days is usually 100 million
    The break even point is not 800 million even if it is 150 million.

Remember you don't do 100/150 million twice,that's only for making the film.
    If cost 250 million to make you have add anoter 250 million,so that's 500 million plus 100 for marketing.
    So the break even point is around 600 million.
    You need to also factor in the payout to the movie theaters so that's going to take a chunk out of the total box office revenue.

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    incorrect.

There's a financial issue here, but also one of perception. I think of the 2016 Suicide Squad film which made $746 million off a $175 million budget and that film was considered a failure (and how much money it raked in had nothing to do with it). Whereas last year's The Suicide Squad movie was definitely a flop, earning only $168 off a $185 million budget. However, official reviewers in particular liked that one much more so it's box office take didn't matter all that much. Like the first Suicide Squad movie, same thing happened perception wise with Batman V. Superman which cost between $250-$300 million and earned $873 million.

Generally, these blockbuster films are supposed to surpass the first film. There's a lot of factors that I think are understandable and excusable if Wakanda Forever doesn't do that, but I can't see how it can't be seen as a disappointment (financial or otherwise) if it doesn't get close to the box office of the original. It would be cold comfort if the film makes a profit but it's box office total isn't close to or doesn't exceed the original. It won't speak to the health of the Black Panther as a film franchise. It will help puncture the aura of invincibility the MCU has built around itself (much of it earned). The disappointments surrounding this current crop of MCU films might prove a saving grace if Wakanda Forever disappoints at the box office because it might be seen as a collective failure/disappointment and not a singular one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Suicide_Squad_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...awn_of_Justice
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 11-19-2022 at 05:06 PM.