Page 506 of 955 FirstFirst ... 6406456496502503504505506507508509510516556606 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,590 of 14314
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    That is true, for all the problems we may have we should always temper and conduct ourselves with respect and dignity so we don't come across like comicgate bigots.

The constant ragging on "black girl magic" does really edge closer and closer to sounding like misogyny.
    People are acting like Ryan Coogler is an evil man that pissed in their cereal and purposefully set out to s*** on their childhood dreams as young black boys or whatever.

Give him a fucking break. Unlike any of us he actually had the privilege of working with and being Chadwick Boseman's friend, and he died and Coogler didn't even see it coming. Imagine how he must feel when a bunch of randoms (yes, we are literally all randoms to this man) on the internet keep telling him how bad of a person he is for making a choice affected by deep grief. Imagine how he would feel if Marvel forced him to recast and act like it's business as usual.

This cast is still grieving. Danai Gurira did an interview yesterday at Comic Con and she can't even talk about Chadwick without bursting into tears. If they have decided to make a film as a love letter to their grief and to someone dear to them that they've lost, seriously who are we to tell them otherwise? I'm sorry but our fantasies take a back seat here. T'Challa is a fictional character that can be written for decades to come. Chadwick Boseman was a real person that has left this world. He is more important and I'm sorry if you don't like me saying that but it is true for right now.

They should recast. T'Challa does deserve a future on screen on way or the other. I think they will recast. But they're not doing right now. End of story.

Astonishing Member

That is true, for all the problems we may have we should always temper and conduct ourselves with respect and dignity so we don't come across like comicgate bigots.

The constant ragging on "black girl magic" does really edge closer and closer to sounding like misogyny.
    Agreed. On one hand I think it’s possible to recognize how from a marketing standpoint, Disney going hard on the fact this is a female-centric movie could be a calculated effort. It’s also possible to criticize the lack of prominent black male characters in a franchise that previously did a much better job balancing positive portrayals for men and women. I don’t think it’s as sinister as some are trying to make it, but there’s a valid discussion to be had about that. But only if we have the right tone and intentions.

I don’t think devolving into criticisms of “Black Girl Magic” is the way to go about it. It easily has the potential to become toxic and it detracts from what are valid concerns to have about the direction of the movie. The worst thing that could happen for the recast movement is being conflated with the far-right, anti-woke folks that are messing up discourse about pop culture these days. The only thing that’ll do is make anti-recast folks feel more strongly and make everyone look bad. Regardless of whether Chadwick wanted a recast or not, he definitely wouldn’t want people turning on folks within their own community over his character.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Check out this reaction.I don't agree with Jody's views on alot of stuff but he has a point about this trailer and how well done it is.

"Wakanda Forever" Extremely Emotional Trailer Reaction...

Note- he broke down in tears and said it's black excellence etc..
    Oooh so now we have a new definition of black excellence now? Mans ACTUALLY said that? Did we not watch the first movie and see what REALE Black excellence was? People trying to call misery and black death excellence now?... Sweet Bast, they are killing the character and people are WILLFULLY not just accepting it, but praising it as well..

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    People are acting like Ryan Coogler is an evil man that pissed in their cereal and purposefully set out to s*** on their childhood dreams as young black boys or whatever.

Give him a fucking break. Unlike any of us he actually had the privilege of working with and being Chadwick Boseman's friend, and he died and Coogler didn't even see it coming. Imagine how he must feel when a bunch of randoms (yes, we are literally all randoms to this man) on the internet keep telling him how bad of a person he is for making a choice affected by deep grief. Imagine how he would feel if Marvel forced him to recast and act like it's business as usual.

This cast is still grieving. Danai Gurira did an interview yesterday at Comic Con and she can't even talk about Chadwick without bursting into tears. If they have decided to make a film as a love letter to their grief and to someone dear to them that they've lost, seriously who are we to tell them otherwise? I'm sorry but our fantasies take a back seat here. T'Challa is a fictional character that can be written for decades to come. Chadwick Boseman was a real person that has left this world. He is more important and I'm sorry if you don't like me saying that but it is true for right now.

They should recast. T'Challa does deserve a future on screen on way or the other. I think they will recast. But they're not doing right now. End of story.
    Yeah, this. All this

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post

Rewatching this video made me break down and made me even more infuriated. How can anyone look at this and come to the conclusion that killing T’Challa is the right move? How?! And I wouldn’t be as angry right now if the comics weren’t being affected but noooo, John Ridley is deliberately going out of his way to destroy T’Challa in whatever way he can. Granted every character has periods where they are mishandled but this mishandling of Black Panther is truly a special kind of of sickening. And no amount of gaslighting is gonna get me to support this franchise in its current state. I don’t care if I get called any kind of names for jumping ship I’m done.

The only way I’m gonna come back to this franchise as far as the MCU is concerned is if the recast, and at this rate I’m all for it being done with a variant. And I’m sure as hell not spending a penny on any Black Panther comics until they get writers that actually care about the lore and history of T’Challa and not any of these neophyte writers that only care about Wakanda. I am NOT helping this company profit off of a Black man’s death and until they do right by this character across all mediums I hope everything blows up in their face. I hope those box office numbers drop after the first weekend, I hope Chadwick’s family calls Marvel out on this, and I damn sure hope comic sales flop miserably until T’Challa comes back with some good writers who want to elevate him. This character deserves a lot better and deserves more.
    Show eman this video. People need to see this video again and understand why killing T'Challa is the wrong move

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Well made but depression inducing.

I don't watch super hero movies for this.
    Yea, won’t be watching this one in theaters. Got a bit emotional watching the trailer and still have massive reservations about the route their taking. I’m already paying for D+ so I’ll probably watch it whenever it gets there and I feel ready.

That being said, I have concerns it ends up being a mess outside T’Challa’s funeral. Between potentially limited runtime and a lot of weird creative choices, I think this movie could be really frontloaded but fall off quickly. I don’t think there’s much doubt Coogler will nail the mourning of T’Challa, but will Shuri’s rise to Black Panther be logical? Will Namor actually be executed well outside the aesthetics of his culture? Will there be good worldbuilding of Wakanda?

Those are all things the film needs to nail if it has even a chance of seeing the success of the first. The standards will be lowered for this movie because of everyone’s grief about Chadwick but it’ll take more than a beautiful funeral to get repeat viewings and universal acclaim. If you told people the day Love and Thunder’s trailer came out that it’d be sitting at a 67% on Rotten Tomatoes with nonstop online criticism you would’ve been laughed at a few months ago.

Well after having time to cool off, all I feel right now is disappointment. My point about recasting and improving the comics still stands but it’s gonna be a cold day in hell when I become like one of those comicsgate, fandom menace assholes. I want women to shine I just believe it’s unnecessary to sacrifice one form of representation for another. But until things improve I think it’s best to just simply step away from the franchise for now.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    I mean it really depends on how talented Coogler is if yall hoping for a backlash.

He showed with the first film he cant solve everything (3rd act CGI). So a hiccup and in the film may be in trouble. However, he also proved to make a film that was juggernaut despite those issues.

If its Tyler Perry misery its easy to dismiss. However, our people love The Color Purple....so it depends on how well its done.

Im just praying this movie takes place during the blip or they have a 2nd post credit scene setting up a new T'Challa.
    I don't think a hiccup will cause this film any real trouble given the circumstances.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No they are thinking black folks are going show up no matter what. Because they assume we show up because it's a black movie and there is no competition from "Distinguishing Competition".

Had their been a Static (Cyborg was not going to cut it) or John Stewart and that film did well.
    Marvel would have said recast or say this happens during the blip.
    Well, they think people will show up for any Marvel movie, don't they? And people kind of do...

I am kind of wondering what they think is going to happen with the Cap movie with Sam, because that one to me is a little iffy. That trailer better knock it out of the park, or otherwise...

And I agree, DC doesn't have anything, and probably never will, so Marvel will probably never have to worry about any competition from them.

That said, Icon might work, but I can't really see Warner Bros. spending money on an Icon movie. Too many people would be like, "Do Superman... get Henry Cavill. Don't do this 'Black Superman.' It's not the Coates one, but it's still Black."

But no, I think people were going to show up for the next Black Panther movie regardless. And if it's good or alright, then fine. If it's bad though, no, no one is coming to a third one.

Otherwise they are banking on us just showing up and black girl magic.

That same black girl magic that made A Wrinkle in Time and Proud Mary hits. WAIT.... those movies FLOPPED. Because they talk that mess and then don't show up.
    They yell for those books and don't buy them. Every single black female lead book at Marvel has been among the top 5 worst sellers. ALL OF THEM.
    Yeah, the Black girl magic thing doesn't really phase me. I'm not the target for it, so it's just something that exists as far as I'm concerned.

As for the comics: no Black anything sells anyway. Male, female, nothing. BLACK PANTHER, nothing. Nothing Black in comics sells. Never has, and probably never will. Like Priest said: right product, wrong market.

Same black girl magic that has ZERO issue attacking any criticisms this film will get as attack on black women. Along with shaming any black man that doesn't support and will BLAME black men if this movie does not make a billion (despite all of us in reality KNOWING that was never going to happen).

Marvel is banking on them and black folks to blindly show up.

It is funny this movie comes out around the same time as Strange Worlds that was hyped up as a black boy lead movie but is now being hyped up about his white Dad.
    Yeah, I guess I just don't feel that this Black Panther movie will be a "Black girl magic" movie, and meaning that in a negative sense.

I didn't get that feeling at all from the trailer. I just got a sense of "Strong Black Women," not "Black girl magic" (in a negative sense). Time will tell what it is all about though, of course.

And Strange World I had to look up because I didn't know what that was... So it's directed by a white guy from Iowa. And of course nothing wrong with a white guy from Iowa... And seeing the other things that the writer of the movie has written, and yeah, that's about the kind of movie that I would expect given who the creative people are..

As for Black Panther, and I'm sure this has been said a thousand times before, but they were in a tough spot.

Bringing in another T'Challa who obviously isn't Chadwick Boseman but another actor, and we're just expected to go with it and say that they're the same person? And are they doing T'Challa, or are they doing a Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa impersonation? So they were in a tough spot, I think.

So nah, while we think this through, we're going with the ladies this time. With silly-a** "Doctor" Letitia, the vaccine aficionado. And Black people you will show up. Because what's Warner Bros. got... ?

In other words, I guess you are right.

And yeah, Warner Bros. needs to step up. Of course, I thought they were going to do that way back in 2018. After Black Panther I was like, "Yeah, a John Stewart movie in on the way."

I guess I was wrong about that. Still waiting. Maybe they'll have something by Black Panther 3.

And I will take Coates' Black Superman movie. Happily. F*** all y'all that don't like Coates.

No, I'm just playing. But I do want to see his "can't fly, just able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" Black Superman movie. It won't make money, it'll just get nominated for stuff like Best Picture or whatever. And that's fine to me.

Astonishing Member

Well after having time to cool off, all I feel right now is disappointment. My point about recasting and improving the comics still stands but it’s gonna be a cold day in hell when I become like one of those comicsgate, fandom menace assholes. I want women to shine I just believe it’s unnecessary to sacrifice one form of representation for another. But until things improve I think it’s best to just simply step away from the franchise for now.
    At this point my biggest hope is Marvel doesn’t make moves to get rid of T’Challa in the comics, even temporarily. I don’t see the point in purging T’Challa from all forms of Marvel projects just because Boseman’s not with us anymore. If Coogler and the cast don’t want T’Challa in the MCU anymore that’s their choice, but I hope editorial doesn’t try to conform to the movies by exploiting Chadwick’s death and making a spectacle of killing comic T’Challa. I don’t have high hopes that won’t happen at some point, but I’d love to be proven wrong and get quality stories with T’Challa in the comics for years to come.

On that note, the solicits for Ridley’s run look boring. I appreciate T’Challa getting away from all the nonsense going on in Wakanda with the OCs but another space arc after Coates just isn’t interesting to me. It is nice to see T’Challa reconnect with the Avengers though, I hope this sets up his return to the book when it’s relaunched after Aaron. He’s already showing up in All Out Avengers soon so hopefully we get some good content there. Still not sure if that series is canon though lol.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Im not ragging on Black Girl Magic. Hell I was a major supporter of it when the 1st film dropped. Its not misogyny from me. Its recognizing that Marvel is using that as a strategy.

Its as Emans said it shouldnt be an either or/ or a substitute issue. Both can exist. As I've said its the kind of strategy that can satiate the majority early, but upon reflection realize they didnt NEED to do certain things like kill T'Challa.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 07-24-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Just rewatched the trailer and it has me wondering if we'll ever see the HZ in the third movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Warned about a lot of people falling into this years back and here we are. Really sad to see.

I'm as big as a T'Challa fan as everyone here and I also think they should -- and will -- recast one day but it really isn't worth getting so mad over and sounding like the "anti-woke", anti-feminism, right-leaning crowd that hates us in the first place. Don't care if I sound like a snub but it's just a friggin movie.
    people have always felt things from entertainment. It's it's just a movie To you, that's fine. But to other's it's more, and that's okay. Representation matters HEAVILY. Media has done a number on Black folks and affected their mindsets. I think it's wrong to act like someone is bad for being upset that they are removing such an influential character. Not saying your saying that necessarily, but we all know Media representation and portrayals affect people in REAL LIFE. I have been on the receiving end of negative outcomes more times than I Care to experience because of how Media has portrayed black people, so yes stuff like this does Matter, especially to young generations being molded by what they see everyday on media and their environment

Niffleheim

I know I can be easily lumped in with the fandom menace for my view points of the sequel but the good thing is I don't have the energy to discuss this franchise anymore. There is nothing good it can elicit out of me so all I can say is farewell. There are far more good and entertaining things in the mcu that I will enjoy than wallow in this disappointment.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-24-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

Okay on further thought I decided I am somewhat excited for the film....... to see Namor.

Yes its an awkward feeling to be mostly excited for the non-Black Panther character in a Black Panther.

But like uhhhhh its basically like being expected to be excited for an Iron Man movie that only star Happy Hogan and Pepper Potts. Not even Rhodey but specifically Happy and Pepper, the very supporting characters which is how I feel for the BP cast. Like its hard to explain, despite their push I don't feel Shuri and the Dora Milaje really passed that threshold of superness if you get what I mean.

Again to use its the difference between a movie that stars Happy Hogan and a movie that stars War Machine. Or you can have a Batman movie that doesn't star Batman because well there's the Robins which would include Nightwing and Red Hood, the Batgirls, or Batwoman, Azrael.

I guess its a personal thing. I've always been of the mind that if you don't have a cool supername and costume, then I largely don't really care about you. Its why I never got into Agents of Shield if you get me, I could never really care about a bunch of Shield agents who don't have superpowers, costumes, or code names.

But hey if I can't support BP, might as well support his rival I guess.
    I've actually re-watched the trailers because of the Namor scenes.

He seems to be depicted as a boss.

I was skeptical about grafting Mesoamerican culture on Namor but I've warmed up to it.