Page 563 of 955 FirstFirst ... 63463513553559560561562563564565566567573613663 ... LastLast
Results 8,431 to 8,445 of 14314

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Bro, some people do things for clicks.
    Yeah I understand that but really, how can you even say something so incredibly stupid and have ANYONE buy that? She was by herself. Who would do anything? I almost want to know who made such an idiotic claim and what to hear their logic because that is some next Level ridiculousness

Do you folks think that some of the problems T'challa faces has to do with the disconnect between the writers and the audience when it comes to the character being a king? It feels like modern comic writers really hate monarchs but the audience likes them. So you have an audience that is there for T'challa and Wakanda is just one of many settings. You have writers where it feels almost as if they are tolerating T'challa to get to Wakanda.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A lot of stuff not marketed to men end up attracting men.

My Little Pony and Sailor Moon also proved that.

And remember Frozen? It was not marketed to girls but boys.

Tangled-it was for girls yet had to be marketed to boys. They changed the name from Rapunzel Unbraided.
    What I'm getting at with Birds of Prey is that it seemed to be marketed especially as not for males, which is different than a film that's simply marketed to women like I suspect many romances or romantic comedies are. Or even the way action films used to be marketed, for a largely male audience.

With Birds of Prey, that it was more of a girl power kind of film that would be free of the male gaze, yet, men came out to support the film despite that. The feminist marketing didn't necessarily result in more women supporting the film, or enough women that could replace any shortfalls of men bouncing on a film that didn't really seek their business. I can't say that My Little Pony, Sailor Moon, or Frozen, was more openly raising the feminist flag. Back in the day I liked She-Ra, Strawberry Shortcake, and Jem. I also have seen both Frozens, preferring the first to the second.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 08-20-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Fantastic Member

Yeah. What was that? Even the writer admits that the easiest and traditional thing to do would have been recasting. Disney/Marvel wrote themselves into a corner by not recasting. It's very difficult decision, but these are professionals and creatives. A recast T'Challa doesn't mean that Boseman's legacy, an important of which was bringing T'Challa to life on screen, would be dishonored.

If nothing else digi. You do indeed provide the best and funniest gifs. I got a good chuckle out of that.

As for the content? Yeah they are trying to spin this HARD. They put themselves on a Biden and the author admitd a recast is what they should of done. And trying to validate why it's not disrespectful to Chads legacy or exploitative ( it is) and Instead really great

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Maybe tell that to the people running the comics.

Cause it really feels like the opposite there.
    OhGawd! Yes, eh! The last six years and more you would think no one in the Avengers Editorial and BP office even liked the character a little bit.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Do you folks think that some of the problems T'challa faces has to do with the disconnect between the writers and the audience when it comes to the character being a king? It feels like modern comic writers really hate monarchs but the audience likes them. So you have an audience that is there for T'challa and Wakanda is just one of many settings. You have writers where it feels almost as if they are tolerating T'challa to get to Wakanda.
    I'm reminded of that article by Kelly Sue DeConnick on her Aquaman run where she states that she abolished the Atlantean monarchy cause its "not politically correct" in this day and age. Its not progressive or whatever.

So I guess similar applies here. They are way harder on T'Challa though. Its like that episode plotline where a student gets a teacher that is the same ethnicity or gender as them and they wind up getting way more work than the white students because the professor has even higher expectations for them. Like that episode of Fresh Prince where Will's aunt Vivian became his teacher for an episode, where he claims she is giving them more work cause they are black, and says that she's only doing it so they succeed, which confirms Wills claims to be true that she is giving them way more work because they are black.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Absolutely...FUCKING HUGE disconnect.
    The Character aside...
    Just look at the mythos we the fans and readers grew up with and love and appreciate and accepted.
    Then look at what Coates did to said mythos.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Yes to all this.

Which is kind of weird coming from a company that promotes princesses as much as they do. Then again...Shuri.

Ultimate Member

Yet we had Game of Thrones. That had King and Queens.

We have had shows and books about monarchs yet NONE have gotten to the level of toxic like Black Panther has.

And the bigger issue is why HIRE these folks if they have that issue?

Marvel didn't hire someone who hated Conan and he had a long running book about him being KING. Same with Warlord at DC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah I understand that but really, how can you even say something so incredibly stupid and have ANYONE buy that? She was by herself. Who would do anything? I almost want to know who made such an idiotic claim and what to hear their logic because that is some next Level ridiculousness
    Someone who KNOWS there are chumps out there that will believe it.

How do you think we get all these toxic fandoms? Folks FAIL to use common sense. They just pick up on what they WANT to hear.

Then they vanish when you toss LOGIC on them.

Like variant covers that people want to PRETEND did NOT help the previous Panther run. We got order numbers.

Fantastic Member

To me the disconnect is intentional. Marvel hires the writers they want to push the messages they want IMO. Coates and Ridley have both given them what they wanted. Fans are important, but I think the messages they want to push are more important than how some fans might feel about it. I'm sure somewhere there are actually people who like Ridley's work on BP, or who are being paid to say they do anyway.

I can see there is a distaste for writing about monarchies, if not politics in general, beyond the surface level. I could be more okay with getting rid of monarchies or playing them down if you are replacing that with action or better stories, but when it comes to Ridley he's still giving us a ruminating, self-flagellating T'Challa who apparently can't do anything right, but gets all the blame anyway.

I can also see that point you make about T'Challa being in the way of Wakanda. But despite all this new praise and the rewriting of history about how much more special Wakanda is than T'Challa that hasn't been borne out by comics or comic sales. Tosin, as annoying as he is to me personally, has the potential to be a breakout character, but I'm very doubtful he could carry a book 12 issues, and I'm guessing even less. Gentle couldn't either. Shuri perhaps could, but she hasn't had the greatest publishing history, nor have the Dora Milaje on their own. We'll see if the prime minister even gets a one-shot. What's so great about Wakanda without T'Challa?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yet we had Game of Thrones. That had King and Queens.

We have had shows and books about monarchs yet NONE have gotten to the level of toxic like Black Panther has.

And the bigger issue is why HIRE these folks if they have that issue?

Marvel didn't hire someone who hated Conan and he had a long running book about him being KING. Same with Warlord at DC.
    I think you're on to something. If they really cared about Black Panther and Wakanda they should look at maybe hiring a fantasy writer.