Page 611 of 955 FirstFirst ... 111511561601607608609610611612613614615621661711 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,165 of 14314

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    If someone... i name no names... was to launch a crowdfund for a non-marvel/dc black hero (not super-hero)... what would they need to do to catch public attention?

asking for a friend who is probably not me.
    Maybe a dramatic daytime press conference with actors giving a Safe-For-Work sharable viral moment to promote the concept.

Whether or not it would satisfy the heavily-and-maybe-ultimately-too-much-online fanculture gatekeepers who trash pretty much everything "for the culture/on principle!!!" for vaguely defined-makes-perfect-sense-to-them reasons, I don't know...

Also Namor himself isn't a secret, in fact he's one of the selling points of the movie, yet no Halloween costume for him? Sure is for T'Challa, though.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

How bad is this in comparison to other movies?

Like uh for Doc Strange MOM did they also sell America Chavez and Scarlet Witch merch? How about Thor Love and Thunder, did we also get Jane-Thor, Valkyrie, Gorr merch as well?

Its a very curious thing.

Basically everyone is trying to come off as confident as they can but it's painfully obvious that Marvel should of delayed the movie and then did a recast. Everything they are doing and what the cast and people like Nate Moore are saying is actually have the opposite effect

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    How bad is this in comparison to other movies?

Like uh for Doc Strange MOM did they also sell America Chavez and Scarlet Witch merch? How about Thor Love and Thunder, did we also get Jane-Thor, Valkyrie, Gorr merch as well?

Its a very curious thing.
    Funny you mention Thor: Love and Thunder.

Movie came out July 8th...I remember seeing Gorr, specifically, and Thunderstrike Thor, at Walmart in APRIL.

Black Adam...comes out in October, the Funko Pop toys started showing up in July, Action Figures at least this month if not August.

Meanwhile, I did notice one of the build-a-figure figures for the soon-to-be-released BP:WF toys...is T'Challa himself.

Using his genius mind, mystically enhanced physicality, and the Vibranium technology of his homeland, T’Challa both rules and defends Wakanda as the ancestral hero, Black Panther.

Taken from the Hasbro Plus website itself. Which says it will ship in February 2023(!).

Ok yeah I don't get what's going on either. This is a weird one. But I guess because it won't ship till next year, in the meantime we're getting T'Challa stuff? But that could lead people to thinking T'Challa is gonna be in the movie...

Im very late but I saw someone aak what the black panther means or something to that effect.

Im going to answer in both an in universe and metatextual way.

In universe: Tchalla is probably the most competent hero the earth has to offer. Hes the guy that doesn't make technical mistakes, he is well prepared at all times and supremely adaptable for any conflict. He wins fights against much stronger enemies(physically) with his mind or the tools much of which he has built. If cap s the idealized American, tchalla is the superlative of that, like wakanda is the superlative of america. He has character flaws, namely that he is untrustworthy, and keeps his friends and his enemies an arms length away... he burdens himself with the weight of the world because in his heart he's a good person who wants to save people and make a better world.

Metatextually, he is more than that. As the first mainstream black character in comics, and one of the first of his kind in any entertainment media really he has become the foundation upon which all black superheroes and black major characters in general. He has become the canvas upon which all black writers project their ideas. He has become to bar to which all black superheroes are compared just by notion of his existence. I truly believe his debut in comics was a major landmark in black history in america. It shifted the perspective and it changed the game. It was unthinkable to make a chatactwr like this and sell it to white boys at the time.

Ironically, much like his chatacter in universe, this burden has served as both a case for celebration and a detriment to his characters image. If his character is failed it reflects upon how the industry treats black charactersnas a whole. If his run doesn't sell we probably don't see many other black led books. If he isn't present there's often no other black characters of similar status being used.

When you talk about defining character debuts, there's superman the first superheroe, batman which largely defined what a superhero can be, and wonder woman which made superheroes not just a boys club. Spider man argubaly was the first "modern" superhero. Black Panther is up on that echelon as well. But his burden is a unique one. There IS no other black character of his status and iconography. If it isn't him at the forefront its no one. I love many of the black characters we've gotten since but none have been able to dig out that iconography the same. Some have come close... static could have but he wasn't given a chance yet. Miles could potentially but marvel will never retire Peter so he'll always be under his shadow.

BP IS black superheroes if you ask me. He is the king. But sometimes I wish he could escape that burden
    Last edited by Toonstrack; 09-17-2022 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Also Namor himself isn't a secret, in fact he's one of the selling points of the movie, yet no Halloween costume for him? Sure is for T'Challa, though.
    Well, a Namor costume would involve just wearing tight swim trunks so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Im very late but I saw someone aak what the black panther means or something to that effect.

Im going to answer in both an in universe and metatextual way.

In universe: Tchalla is probably the most competent hero the earth has to offer. Hes the guy that doesn't make technical mistakes, he is well prepared at all times and supremely adaptable for any conflict. He wins fights against much stronger enemies(physically) with his mind or the tools much of which he has built. If cap s the idealized American, tchalla is the superlative of that, like wakanda is the superlative of america. He has character flaws, namely that he is untrustworthy, and keeps his friends and his enemies an arms length away... he burdens himself with the weight of the world because in his heart he's a good person who wants to save people and make a better world.

Metatextually, he is more than that. As the first mainstream black character in comics, and one of the first of his kind in any entertainment media really he has become the foundation upon which all black superheroes and black major characters in general. He has become the canvas upon which all black writers project their ideas. He has become to bar to which all black superheroes are compared just by notion of his existence. I truly believe his debut in comics was a major landmark in black history in america. It shifted the perspective and it changed the game. It was unthinkable to make a chatactwr like this and sell it to white boys at the time.

Ironically, much like his chatacter in universe, this burden has served as both a case for celebration and a detriment to his characters image. If his character is failed it reflects upon how the industry treats black charactersnas a whole. If his run doesn't sell we probably don't see many other black led books. If he isn't present there's often no other black characters of similar status being used.

When you talk about defining character debuts, there's superman the first superheroe, batman which largely defined what a superhero can be, and wonder woman which made superheroes not just a boys club. Spider man argubaly was the first "modern" superhero. Black Panther is up on that echelon as well. But his burden is a unique one. There IS no other black character of his status and iconography. If it isn't him at the forefront its no one. I love many of the black characters we've gotten since but none have been able to dig out that iconography the same. Some have come close... static could have but he wasn't given a chance yet. Miles could potentially but marvel will never retire Peter so he'll always be under his shadow.

BP IS black superheroes if you ask me. He is the king. But sometimes I wish he could escape that burden
    This is a good summary to your last part with supes the first hero, Bats what a hero could be, WW breaking the boys club, and Spidey the modern hero. T'Challas defining debut was breaking racial stereotypes of what WHO can be a hero.

I don't see anything wrong with T'Challa being the the king of Black heroes. Just like when people think of Super heroes bats and Spidey come to mind, however, he needs to be treated better and it wouldn't hurt if there was another black hero (preferably form DC) that could compete with him to ensure that the quality for Black heroes is maintained like it is for white heroes.

I feel that is the problem. There's no other competition, Miles is the closest but he is a legacy character and will be limited by that. But someone like Mr terrific could be a good character or something like that.

Either way there's nothing wrong with him being the face, he just needs another to keep help with quality (also better editorial oversight) and to prevent ALL representation from falling soley on him

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    This is a good summary to your last part with supes the first hero, Bats what a hero could be, WW breaking the boys club, and Spidey the modern hero. T'Challas defining debut was breaking racial stereotypes of what WHO can be a hero.

I don't see anything wrong with T'Challa being the the king of Black heroes. Just like when people think of Super heroes bats and Spidey come to mind, however, he needs to be treated better and it wouldn't hurt if there was another black hero (preferably form DC) that could compete with him to ensure that the quality for Black heroes is maintained like it is for white heroes.

I feel that is the problem. There's no other competition, Miles is the closest but he is a legacy character and will be limited by that. But someone like Mr terrific could be a good character or something like that.

Either way there's nothing wrong with him being the face, he just needs another to keep help with quality (also better editorial oversight) and to prevent ALL representation from falling soley on him
    I’ve always thought Static could be good competition. Unfortunately DC is a bigger **** show than ever and I’m having less faith that Static’s movie will get off the ground now that WB is a dumpster fire thanks to the merger. Hell experts are now saying Comcast might buy them in the next two to three years.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

That wouldn't be storm?

Can't forget about my man John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Can't forget about my man John Stewart.
    Honestly. Something like:

T'Challa
    Miles
    Storm
    Are likely The biggiest Black heroes from Marvel
    Mr terrific
    John Stewart
    Static

Could be the big heroes for DC. Whatever they can do to actually elevate black heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, a Namor costume would involve just wearing tight swim trunks so ...
    No it wouldn't it would be a full-bodied outfit that would resemble flesh colors for the exposed skin of the character. They have sumo-outfits like this, as opposed to just the diaper-thing sumo wrestlers wear.

Incredible Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScarletMa...81619366625280

I'm going into exile from Twitter because I just can't deal with these people.