Page 59 of 955 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Bro trust, I do hear you. I would like to believe that they are just breaking the new guy in but then he'll start to see eye to eye with how T'Challa moves and will become a young hero in training (ala) M'Baku MCU version. I don't think we're getting Coates 2.0.
    Fingers-crossed that we aren't There are still some things people aren't happy with but it's nowhere near Coates.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It just doesn't really have much potential.

He looks young... so we are introducing a Robin esque future sidekick who can join young avenggers type situation? if so fine, whatever... but the story potential there is limited. Especially since shuri is also de aged.

He's too young to be an antagonist.... T'challa aint' gonna punch of child lol.

A govt lackey is so much more interesting long term.

Or hell... give a champion of another god. Make it a religious thing. Croc god sees an opportunity to gain more power in Wakanda, empowers a champion who starts to gain support with his heroics in wakanda while T'chalal is out dealing with ****.

Shrug, MCU bait gonna MCU bait I guess.

And also... what "threat' to Wakanda could exist that gets past the Doras, the HZ, and Royal guards, and Shuri (actually she might be in a coma lol), MA (if they exist), Vibraxas and more... but some kid from the Wakanda backwoods can take care of lol?
    Or... Ridley could be using this character to pair up with Shuri and kick Eden back out of the franchise lol

I try not to say much. But all I see is a new Jace in Tosin. And wonder why Luke Fox not being a hero at the moment. So if the beats of a similar character in another company property. I guess this is Ridley writing style.

Concerning audience want the Doom War to happen. Is kind of strange when Tchalla invented a new fighting style. Which most of the Dora died from trying to learn it. And Shadow science/physics the merging of science and magic.

Lastly if folks have not read the Spotlight of Thunder. They would know from Thunder perspective Black Lighting aint sh#$. Because Black Lighting was trying to do some low key conversion on his students. So folks need to chill on the Superman story.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I honestly don't have an issue with side characters not being 100% on board with T'Challa. It's more the amount of disrespect T'Challa will tolerate and how well-founded the criticism is. If Tosin isn't a dick about what he thinks T'Challa is doing wrong and actually has a good point or two then that'd be far more interesting than T'Challa faltering against whatever the issue is just for Tosin to come in and be the real hero of the story.

I'm kinda over the trend of heroes being completely unaware of the effects their decisions have on people. And them needing to "reconnect" with the people by being dragged by side characters that the author clearly would rather have as the lead. As long as Ridley understands that maybe 5 people in total are picking up this book for Tosin it shouldn't be a big deal.
    Naw we just had 5 years of that isht with Coates. Ever since Hudlin left the book, it's been nothing but negativity from the Wakandan people regarding T'Challa. Hudlin had T'Challa SHOW how much he loves his people and they SHOWED it back to him. Now they criticize abd he beats himself up about it and apparently resented his people.

Where's KShan at? That's a lil homie that could get some Love, the one who was directly inspired by T'Challa and looked at him with complete admiration

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I gotta get past this storm issue before I begin to trust anyone lol

These are both good points.

If you are gonna make a character, make an actual character. Not a caricature or plot device.
    You mean to say that Coates MA weren't actual characters?... Lol

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Amenra11 View Post
    I doubt M'Baku will become BP in Wakanda Forever. He'll probably just follow Shuri around so the movie has more scenes with a man.
    Why do you want to kill me? lol! Why are those words in bold so accurate?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm a little confused though.

Omolola and Tosin are Yoruba names. The Yoruba people are situated largely in West Africa but Wakanda is lodged somewhere in East Africa.

It's a little nitpicky (because Wakanda is fictional) but it strikes me as extremely strange considering that Wakanda isn't exactly "open" to the rest of the world.

I think Ridley would be better served to use the names of people that are located around the region that Wakanda is supposed to exist in.
    I prefer the Yoruba names to be honest because even though I recognize them at least I don't know what they mean and since I'm from East Africa seeing Swahili names just makes me cringe every single time.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Black Panther 2 Production Halted Again

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm a little confused though.

Omolola and Tosin are Yoruba names. The Yoruba people are situated largely in West Africa but Wakanda is lodged somewhere in East Africa.

It's a little nitpicky (because Wakanda is fictional) but it strikes me as extremely strange considering that Wakanda isn't exactly "open" to the rest of the world.

I think Ridley would be better served to use the names of people that are located around the region that Wakanda is supposed to exist in.
    Bro you're late on this. Priest introduced Yoruba names and the actual language as part of Wakandan culture. Ayo is another. Heck, Okoye and Okonkwo (T'Challa's alias) are Igbo names not to mention Priest had the Dora Milaje speak to T'Challa in Hausa. Nigerian culture has been part of Wakanda since '98.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Or... Ridley could be using this character to pair up with Shuri and kick Eden back out of the franchise lol
    Oh. Well in that case Tosin might not be so bad. Lol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

10 pages of Tosin huh?......

I hope its decent but Thats 10 less pages of the titular character T'Challa.

If those are shadow physics lines on him then good for Ridley

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    10 pages of Tosin huh?......

I hope its decent but Thats 10 less pages of the titular character T'Challa.

If those are shadow physics lines on him then good for Ridley
    Yeah, if Ridley can make Shadow Physics a practical ability, and visually appealing i count that as one small win for new kid and maybe the book mythos.

Extraordinary Member

Conflict is good and I'm not generally inclined to make a big deal about how the Wakandan react to stuff.

When DON'T they take issue with stuff? Had everyone forgot that
    they are canonically &$$holes, lol.

If the Wakandans were a person they would be the in law that keeps talking ish about you behind your back. Whether it's Monica Lynn or Gentle's Moms or the Queen of Wakanda herself, they can't mind thier own business when it comes to people's relationships.

But this is what good writers are SUPPOSED to do. Create interesting characters and situations that can be used going forward.

I'm just slightly surprised that Ridley's doing this at all only because IF Rosin ever makes it into the MCU he likely won't see a dime given how Disney/Marvel rolls on compensation for creatives.

There's a reason Marvel readers keep getting things like Spider Gwen and Darkhawk 2. Why create a new IP for Marvel when you know they are gonna £π¢¥ creators over on creator rights.

Now I know everything isn't always about money. But Ed Brubaker the dude who turned Bucky into The Winter Soldier really ain't happy. Roy Thomas the dude who created Vision isn't happy either. Jim Starlin (creator of Thanos) wasn't happy either but they put him in Endgame and he might have calmed down some.

But adding new characters that have beef with the hero is not a harbinger of doom. It's how you build a interesting supporting cast. Look at Batman's kid Damien. Or every other member of the Bat family who isn't Dick Grayson for that matter.

Boy, the Coates inspired PTSD around here is kinda hilarious at this point.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 01-20-2022 at 08:09 PM.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Conflict is good and I'm not generally inclined to make a big deal about how the Wakandan react to stuff.

When DON'T they take issue with stuff? Had everyone forgot that
    they are canonically &$$holes, lol.

If the Wakandans were a person they would be the in law that keeps talking ish about you behind your back. Whether it's Monica Lynn or Gentle's Moms or the Queen of Wakanda herself, they can't mind thier own business when it comes to people's relationships.

But this is what good writers are SUPPOSED to do. Create interesting characters and situations that can be used going forward.

I'm just slightly surprised that Ridley's doing this at all only because IF Rosin ever makes it into the MCU he likely won't see a dime given how Disney/Marvel rolls on compensation for creatives.

There's a reason Marvel readers keep getting things like Spider Gwen and Darkhawk 2. Why create a new IP for Marvel when you know they are gonna £π¢¥ creators over on creator rights.

Now I know everything isn't always about money. But Ed Brubaker the dude who turned Bucky into The Winter Soldier really ain't happy. Roy Thomas the dude who created Vision isn't happy either. Jim Starlin (creator of Thanos) wasn't happy either but they put him in Endgame and he might have calmed down some.

But adding new characters that have beef with the hero is not a harbinger of doom. It's how you build a interesting supporting cast. Look at Batman's kid Damien. Or every other member of the Bat family who isn't Dick Grayson for that matter.

Boy, the Coates inspired PTSD around here is kinda hilarious at this point.
    Damn
    Ed Brubaker gets more residuals from his WINTER SOLDIER cameo than from creating the character
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubak...ier-residuals/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I'm not gonna complain until I see a reason to. It's not really surprising that people would disagree with how t'challa operates. As long as the story doesn't get black and white about it, I'm fine.
    Agree on both your points. Tosin doesn’t seem like a bad character yet, a bit derivative/not too exciting but hardly offensive. Like I said, if we weren’t coming off the death of T’Challa’s actor and years of poor writing from Coates we’d probably be praising the character. But I don’t think Ridley is gonna take the same approach as the last few writers have. He hasn’t up til this point outside some superficial elements so I’ll just wait to see what happens.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    ****. It's even worse than I thought. These MFers actually laugh when they hear thier creators complain about being jerked out of money.