Page 36 of 955 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The thing about Hickman is that he's an idea man. Great at high concepts, but he tends to treat characters as cogs in a machine, not living people.

The KotD thing is a perfect example. He gave T'Challa a new mantle but didn't explore it in any depth. The character didn't change or grow, and the only time it had any meaning was when he needed BP to suddenly control a zombie horde as cannon fodder in the climax of Secret Wars. It wasn't a new facet to the character, it was a plot coupon he cashed in.

He does that a lot. Characters show up, play their part in the plot, then disappear, never to be seen again.
    All the while the characters behave and do whatever the story requires, no matter how ridiculous or against incharacter that would be.

Maybe if he was on the BP Solo he would do a good job, but for SW it was a mess. Like very clear that he ran out of time and had to move the plot along and Skip over alot of his concepts, Which is another problem of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    All the while the characters behave and do whatever the story requires, no matter how ridiculous or against incharacter that would be.

Maybe if he was on the BP Solo he would do a good job, but for SW it was a mess. Like very clear that he ran out of time and had to move the plot along and Skip over alot of his concepts, Which is another problem of his.
    You presented an interesting point. If Hickman had control of BP in same way Coates did would he have put out an amazing Black Panther solo for a few years. I figure time would be an ally for him in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    You presented an interesting point. If Hickman had control of BP in same way Coates did would he have put out an amazing Black Panther solo for a few years. I figure time would be an ally for him in this case.
    I think he would have too.

The thing about Hickman is that he's an idea man. Great at high concepts, but he tends to treat characters as cogs in a machine, not living people.

The KotD thing is a perfect example. He gave T'Challa a new mantle but didn't explore it in any depth. The character didn't change or grow, and the only time it had any meaning was when he needed BP to suddenly control a zombie horde as cannon fodder in the climax of Secret Wars. It wasn't a new facet to the character, it was a plot coupon he cashed in.

He does that a lot. Characters show up, play their part in the plot, then disappear, never to be seen again.
    This is very true. KotD was a letdown. On paper and when it was introduced it was a cool idea with lots of potential but Hickman didn't deliver on it.

Hickman would do a great job on a BP ongoing. With all his focus being on T'Challa and his supporting cast and not a large ensemble with multiple plot lines, a BP title under Hickman would definitely be worth checking out. I do remember him mentioning that he had an idea for a BP story or series but he never expanded on it.

All true, but I’ll give Hickman credit for expanding his power-set. He got off to a good start now, someone should flesh it out and take the idea further. I like that TChalla can control the undead. I can’t think of how it’s useful most of the time, but it’s a nice ace up your sleeve.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe.

His Fantastic Four book was well done. But it wasn't really leading up to anything other than a revamp of the book.

However all his Avengers books were leading up to Secret Wars and that... didn't go so great.

As for his other Marvel works...I don't think he ever finished that book where Leonardo Da Vinci was the main character or the one with Quake, Manifold and those guys. If he did I didn't notice.

From the little I have heard about the current Xbooks, it looks like he has fallen into his old bad habits. You have to read every book he writes to get the full story but it will take forever to get it. Assuming it makes any sense whenever it's finished.

Coates at least never implied that you had to buy all his and his pals books to get a unified story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    All true, but I’ll give Hickman credit for expanding his power-set. He got off to a good start now, someone should flesh it out and take the idea further. I like that TChalla can control the undead. I can’t think of how it’s useful most of the time, but it’s a nice ace up your sleeve.
    I mean, at this point it's not needed IMO. His current powerset is good enough and he is plenty strong. We have seen him take on a Batman, Superman, and flash analogue and win. I think he is doing fine without KoTD. Hell Hickman had him struggling against a Batman analogue who had been injured by Namor

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Maybe.

His Fantastic Four book was well done. But it wasn't really leading up to anything other than a revamp of the book.

However all his Avengers books were leading up to Secret Wars and that... didn't go so great.

As for his other Marvel works...I don't think he ever finished that book where Leonardo Da Vinci was the main character or the one with Quake, Manifold and those guys. If he did I didn't notice.

From the little I have heard about the current Xbooks, it looks like he has fallen into his old bad habits. You have to read every book he writes to get the full story but it will take forever to get it. Assuming it makes any sense whenever it's finished.

Coates at least never implied that you had to buy all his and his pals books to get a unified story.
    Ah, the infamous SHIELD...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Its been like 7 years.

KotD is dead in the water. He couldn't even summon panther ghosts without Eden.

Shuri does it better

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Its been like 7 years.

KotD is dead in the water. He couldn't even summon panther ghosts without Eden.

Shuri does it better

Seriously that stunt from Coates was such bullisht. Just another thing on a long list of Coates stupidity and weakening of T'Challa.

However I do agree at this point KoTD is done for and dead, and we should focus on the tools he DOES have.

Speaking of, who would be for T'Challa getting that panther shield from Redjacks BPQ? That paired with the soul spear would be pretty bad@ss

Seriously that stunt from Coates was such bullisht. Just another thing on a long list of Coates stupidity and weakening of T'Challa.

However I do agree at this point KoTD is done for and dead, and we should focus on the tools he DOES have.

Speaking of, who would be for T'Challa getting that panther shield from Redjacks BPQ? That paired with the soul spear would be pretty bad@ss

Never forget how much salt this moment caused. And it was glorious.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I don't mind random **** like that every once in a great while but not something I want/need to see on the regular
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post

My favorite all time T'Challa moment.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

How Y'all rank the BP solo writers in a tier list?(whatever criteria you see fit) Would your order change when you factor in other writers such as Hickman, Ewing, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post

Funny thing is RJ broke this down too, where at no point doesn't Thor ever get knocked down, he is brought down to a knee, bit he never falls, and T'Challa beat him via put smarting him and using his strength against him, and it's not a "beating" of Thor but rather he removes him from the fight.