Page 865 of 955 FirstFirst ... 365765815855861862863864865866867868869875915 ... LastLast
Results 12,961 to 12,975 of 14314

Black character makes 1.3 billion and starts inspiring and suddenly it's all about the setting and the costume now lol

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

How...is Wakanda the real character? Wakanda isn't alive like Ego or Krakoa. Any "personality" traits it displays comes from the actual characters who built it and live there.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Ultimate Member

That whole "Wakanda is the real character" talk is rubbish.

It's also borderline problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

It's such a weird direction for anyone to go in because it invalidates the existence of everyone who lives there and makes a lifeless hunk of rock the main character.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-28-2022 at 07:06 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    How...is Wakanda the real character? Wakanda isn't alive like Ego or Krakoa. Any "personality" traits it displays comes from the actual characters who built it and live there.
    Because of race.
    "Representation" may as well be a synonym for Wakanda. The characters matter but only because of the Representation they bring. There are a segment of semi famous ppl that likely believe T'Challa overshadows everything there and want him removed in the name of more Representation.

Roxanne Gay's (un-requested) nyt op ed about #RecastTChalla really says as much

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/06/o...n-wakanda.html

"We should not be asking Marvel to recast T’Challa; we should be asking it to expand the roster of heroes. We have to think bigger and demand more."

The "burden of representation" as she calls it
    Last edited by Ekie; 11-28-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Because of race.
    "Representation" may as well be a synonym for Wakanda. The characters matter but only because of the Representation they bring. There are a segment of semi famous ppl that likely believe T'Challa overshadows everything there and want him removed in the name of more Representation.

"We should not be asking Marvel to recast T’Challa; we should be asking it to expand the roster of heroes. We have to think bigger and demand more."

But that makes no sense, T'Challa is the protagonist of the series, he IS the Black Panther. So...how would any of this work if you outright remove him? How would they go about it? Because, knowing Marvel, they would probably remove T'Challa using this guy:

Lifeform.jpg

And I am certain none of us want that to happen...again.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-29-2022 at 12:22 AM.

No it doesn't make sense to anyone with any real Comics knowledge or knowledge about how these franchises are built up over time. But the people currently being given control since coats aren't in it for the love of comics or the love of the character. They are here for the popularity it has and the exposure it brings them and whatever ideas/messages they want to promote.

Essentially an already popularized dumping ground for all their pet characters and ideas they can't sell otherwise.
    Last edited by Ekie; 11-28-2022 at 09:31 PM.

No it doesn't make sense to anyone with any real Comics knowledge or knowledge about how these franchises are built up over time. But the people currently being given control since coats aren't in it for the love of comics or the love of the character. They are here for the popularity it has and the exposure it bring them and whatever ideas/messages they want to promote.
    If that is the case, then they don't deserve to work on any of these titles, because its just a stepping stone for them. A way for them to say "I want to thank all the little people I stepped on to get here tonight" when they get their Oscar or whatever it is they are after.

If that is the case, then they don't deserve to work on any of these titles, because its just a stepping stone for them. A way for them to say "I want to thank all the little people I stepped on to get here tonight" when they get their Oscar or whatever it is they are after.
    Always remember:

“Be careful who you step on on the way up, as you will likely meet them again on the way back down.”

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Always remember:

“Be careful who you step on on the way up, as you will likely meet them again on the way back down.”
    I like that, that's a good saying. Saving that one for later.

I like that, that's a good saying. Saving that one for later.
    Feel free. There are several variations, some more scatological than others.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

No it doesn't make sense to anyone with any real Comics knowledge or knowledge about how these franchises are built up over time. But the people currently being given control since coats aren't in it for the love of comics or the love of the character. They are here for the popularity it has and the exposure it brings them and whatever ideas/messages they want to promote.

Essentially an already popularized dumping ground for all their pet characters and ideas they can't sell otherwise.
    There is such a horrible bizarreness, that in the process of representation they are tearing down an important character to act as a foundation for other characters.

Its like going to Wonder Woman and saying "We need more female characters" while throwing away Diana the character who started this all in the first place. Its fucking disrespectful.

Like we aren't talking about out of use Golden Age characters like the original Mister Terrific, but characters that still widely in play. Its a huge waste and just suicidally bad business making. This is how series die you know, you get rid of the original guy people like and them force replacements that the audience won't like at all.

Because of race.

And yet her comic did poorly and the characters she tried to promote are nothing more than background characters now.........
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 11-29-2022 at 12:15 AM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So on the so looks like they're trying for an Oscar nod. Can't see Best Picture but Angela Bassett getting the nod would be nice.

Also, im still surprised they didn't go with Kasper as a Temporary BP and have him work with Shuri or protecting Riri.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

How do you mean?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So on the so looks like they're trying for an Oscar nod. Can't see Best Picture but Angela Bassett getting the nod would be nice.

Also, im still surprised they didn't go with Kasper as a Temporary BP and have him work with Shuri or protecting Riri.
    That wouldn't have gone over well and Disney knows that.

They got away with not recasting because Chads death was a unforseen circumstance,the crew backed the decision and because it was a opportunity to give black women that spotlight.Introducing Kasper would have erased that good will.