Page 545 of 955 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 14314

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think it stems from an issue with authority figures in general. Like Batman gets **** on a lot called a "fascist" or a "cop lover" cause he's kind of THE authority figure who enacts a degree of control.

Or look at how characters in leadership positions tend to be villainized, Professor X keeps being written as a controlling ******* no better than Magneto cause he's no different or Cyclops whose the leader who is treated as a stick in the mud hardass and at one point called Hitler in the last decade.

Meanwhile Wolverine who is a "rebel" is basically valorized for it and treated as the better option cause he's going against "the man", the man in this case being Cyclops.

It be like if someone took the Green Lantern Corps and changed into a direct allegory for the US police system. It makes no sense but it stems from the idea that every sort of peacekeeping organization in fiction has to be compared to the cops in some way for no other reason than people hate cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It seems like the problem modern writers have with T'Challa is a combination of presentism and ignorance. Presentism is taking present day cultural mores and applying them to the past they think they're fixing problems that were never really there, I also imagine that most of what they know about BP is from the movie and wikipedia. They don't know (or care) about T'Challa as a character, they just need him to cut their teeth in the industry like coates, or to put in their own pet characters that no one will care about five years from now.

I also wish they'd let Pete grow up. I don't understand how being a perpetual bumbling idiot manchild is more relatable than being married and starting a family.
    It's more so people don't care about T'Challa and care about Wakanda the concept and not the actual place or the franchise. They see it as "Black Excellence" then ironically turn it into the opposite of that with their ishtty pet OCs that cause more hard and damage to the franchise then whatever little benefit they THINK they bring...

I seriously want a MK BP title again that just tells T'Challa focused focused stories or have the actual solo focus on him and then they can shove all these OCs into Wakanda forever or whatever the he they want to call it books. They only take up panel space in the main title and take away from the character.

As for Peter, they have shown that he can support two books. They can have a Spiderman ongoing with him as a maturing adult and a second Spiderman"homecoming" or however they want to title itz where he is a young adult.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They don't want to do the WORK.

They do NOT want to fight with editors like Priest had to.

They do NOT want to fight like Milestone had to do to keep Static BLACK and not WHITE like the WB wanted.
    They do NOT want to get in the face of the boss and say Lincoln Washington for a Green Lantern is going to cut it.

They want the EASY route.

Shuri in that SUIT is NOT the easy route. Hello harder battle.

They want to call the recast movement sexist. They have NOT begun to see sexism and it will NOT come from the recast crew.
    What?!? Wait... This was actually an issue in real life?
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-08-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Yeah.One of a Milestone original creators (Micheal Davis I think his name is) talked about it on Bleeding cool.Seemly one the WB executives asked if Vigil could be white for his cartoon.

Also WB is apparently the reason why his mom died in the series.
    Last edited by Baseman; 08-08-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Snipes (and Goyer) had to fight to keep Blade in the first movie black, too.

Yes, yes it is an issue in real life. Sadly.

T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Fantastic Member

Also that Superman movie produced by JJ Abrams and being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates is still in development.

So if anyone wants to see Coates **** Superman like with BP, we might have that chance.........
    If this movie gets made, which I doubt, Coates would not screw over the traditional white Clark Kent Superman. He might take a few swipes about toxic masculinity, etc. in general, but not outright deconstruction, and even if he attempted to, WB would not allow it. If anything I could see him using Clark as an example of positive masculinity juxtaposed to the toxic Lex Luthor. Now, if there is a black Superman, then it's open season. Or Coates might just work to keep Perry White black in his version so he can make the black Perry White the worst boss ever. Coates, from what little I read of his Captain America run, had more respect for Steve Rogers than he did T'Challa, and I imagine that would also be the case for Clark Kent's Superman.

Hey see you made the jump over emperor. Welcome. Plenty of discussion to be had here

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    If this movie gets made, which I doubt, Coates would not screw over the traditional white Clark Kent Superman. He might take a few swipes about toxic masculinity, etc. in general, but not outright deconstruction, and even if he attempted to, WB would not allow it. If anything I could see him using Clark as an example of positive masculinity juxtaposed to the toxic Lex Luthor. Now, if there is a black Superman, then it's open season. Or Coates might just work to keep Perry White black in his version so he can make the black Perry White the worst boss ever. Coates, from what little I read of his Captain America run, had more respect for Steve Rogers than he did T'Challa, and I imagine that would also be the case for Clark Kent's Superman.
    So its dependent on whether they go through with making Clark black or not, yeah that makes sense.

People do tend to go easy on Superman. Mark Millar and Garth Ennies, 2 incredibly tasteless, edgy and downright gross authors always treat him with reverence and respect. Especially notable in Ennies case as he hates superheroes in general, but with Superman himself he makes an exception.

Meaning you have to be a real piece of work to actually trash Superman.

Man though imagine if he instead was writing an Icon movie. I'd feel really bad for Icon there.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 08-08-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

They wanted him white and Mike Davis was there at the meeting.
    Next they wanted Static DAD dead. McDuffie was NOT having it and argued for BOTH parents to be alive like they were in the book. In the end Dad lived and Mom was given a heroes' death.

This is QUITE common. A LOT of writers and not just black ones will tell you the battles they have had.

Rerun from What's Happening, Journey of Allen Strange and Secret World of Alex Mack and Famous Jett Jackson and Gary on What I like About you-were ALL meant to be WHITE boys.

Jaime Foxx Show, Wayans Brother and The Parent Hood on the WB were ORDERED to add more whites to their casts. That is how we got Scott Menville (Robin on Teen Titans) on Parent Hood and the late Mitch Mullany on Wayan Brothers that got him as OWN show (Nick Freno) the following year with Ellen's wife.

Funny thing about Nick Freno- Arjay Smith (and all the kids with him) got fired from that show in May. In June he won the Allen Strange role.

Eli Goree FIRED from the CW's The 100s because they preferred the bad boy white boy. The 100s was a book series and Eli's character played a HUGE role. Also the series where black boys got urinated on more than ONCE.

Also that Superman movie produced by JJ Abrams and being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates is still in development.

So if anyone wants to see Coates **** Superman like with BP, we might have that chance.........
    With what is happening with the WB/DC I'm expecting to hear that this whole thing is getting the axe! Who knows, maybe they will still make it.

They wanted him white and Mike Davis was there at the meeting.
    Next they wanted Static DAD dead. McDuffie was NOT having it and argued for BOTH parents to be alive like they were in the book. In the end Dad lived and Mom was given a heroes' death.

This is QUITE common. A LOT of writers and not just black ones will tell you the battles they have had.

Rerun from What's Happening, Journey of Allen Strange and Secret World of Alex Mack and Famous Jett Jackson and Gary on What I like About you-were ALL meant to be WHITE boys.

Jaime Foxx Show, Wayans Brother and The Parent Hood on the WB were ORDERED to add more whites to their casts. That is how we got Scott Menville (Robin on Teen Titans) on Parent Hood and the late Mitch Mullany on Wayan Brothers that got him as OWN show (Nick Freno) the following year with Ellen's wife.

Funny thing about Nick Freno- Arjay Smith (and all the kids with him) got fired from that show in May. In June he won the Allen Strange role.

Eli Goree FIRED from the CW's The 100s because they preferred the bad boy white boy. The 100s was a book series and Eli's character played a HUGE role. Also the series where black boys got urinated on more than ONCE.
    when you say urinated, are you saying that literally or metaphorically...

Amazing Member

You mean these two guys, right? I think I watched some of the pilot years ago, I couldn't buy any scene where he was cowering or getting beat up by that dude.

Attachment 123735Attachment 123736

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    On a separate note of what might be okay, or great news there's a new Black Panther book by Bryan Hill called Black Panther: Unconquered coming out. Supposed to be just T'Challa....stay turned. I don't know how to cut and clip post. https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...reat-unleashed
    I like Bryan Hill's work at DC..... Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for this much needed update on Tchalla.

- - - EDIT- - -

Waaaait a minute.... Wasn't it Bryan Hill who wrote that hooooorrible Killmonger mini series?!?

My goodness and he is back, this time writing Tchalla.... Man, my hype just fell right into the toilet.
    Last edited by Besouro; 08-09-2022 at 07:30 AM.

Mighty Member

Well, at least it looks like Tchalla is returning to the next Avengers series called ALL OUT AVENGERS releasing in September 2022. Hopefully the writer will give Tchalla as much love as Jason Aaron did so that we can have some relief away from the puke inducing tragedy of Ridley's BP comic.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...engers-trailer

Mighty Member

Originally Posted by BlackClaw

Probably because the Supremacists would be seen as too “on the nose”. And yet the people who say that have no problem with Captain Americas arch nemesis literally being a pupil of Hitler. Lol.

But yeah I’m sticking to my idea of Madame Slay being revamped as an Eco terrorist (like Poison Ivy).
    I disagree regarding the Supremacists.... If Red Skull, Modok and their Hydra can exist in MCU then so can the Supremacists.

I will only say they should perhaps racebend one or two of them as black(suffering Uncle Ruckus syndrome, LMAO) so that it doesn't look too jarring as a blacks vs whites type of thing.