Page 56 of 955 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156556 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I doubt M'Baku will become BP in Wakanda Forever. He'll probably just follow Shuri around so the movie has more scenes with a man.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Hooray more pet characters. Let’s hope this guy is at least better than anything from the Coates era.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Incredible Member

Heroes reborn is very much canon..
    Last edited by Dariel81; 01-20-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Hooray more pet characters. Let’s hope this guy is at least better than anything from the Coates era.
    At least it's a dude getting a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    Heroes reborn is very much cannon..
    There is a difference between "canon" is "can be used in feat discussion" canon.

One off powers used in a alternative universe thing never count. It has to be replicated .Hell, even if it is a one off "normal universe" thing it generally has to be replicated to 'count'
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I really want Ridley to go more in depth with the Nighthawk vs T’Challa rivalry.
    Nighthawk should really become T'Challa's #1 rogue. He's evil Black Batman, a perfect fit.

Well he can't be worse than the MA. The real question is whether or not Ridley will give Tosin distinctive abilities from T'Challa or will he just be the umpteenth character with vaguely defined enhanced physical ability. Still think he might be the parliament's attempt at replacing the Black Panther's role as the protector of Wakanda. It would be nice if he’s actually a younger hero that was inspired by T'Challa. T'Challa taking on a mentor role to a new young hero would actually be new for a change.
    Last edited by KingNomarch; 01-20-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Well he can't be worse than the MA. The real question is whether or not Ridley will give Tosin distinctive abilities from T'Challa or will he just be the umpteenth character with vaguely defined enhanced physical ability. Still think he might be the parliament's attempt at replacing the Black Panther's role as the protector of Wakanda. It would be nice if he’s actually a younger hero that was inspired by T'Challa.
    That's a good point. If the new gov't is trying to cut ties to the monarchy and the old ways, then they may want to have hero who they can control. Kinda like how the U.S. ditched Steve for John Walker when they couldn't control him.

We already see the beginnings of a clash between BP and PM Folsade. I'm sure that the new gov't would likr to dictate to T'Challa what they want him to do and what he can and can't do.

Ultimate Member

I'm a little confused though.

Omolola and Tosin are Yoruba names. The Yoruba people are situated largely in West Africa but Wakanda is lodged somewhere in East Africa.

It's a little nitpicky (because Wakanda is fictional) but it strikes me as extremely strange considering that Wakanda isn't exactly "open" to the rest of the world.

I think Ridley would be better served to use the names of people that are located around the region that Wakanda is supposed to exist in.

Right, like, should this be revealed in a solicit? Haven't even heard of this person or even seen them

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Well he can't be worse than the MA. The real question is whether or not Ridley will give Tosin distinctive abilities from T'Challa or will he just be the umpteenth character with vaguely defined enhanced physical ability. Still think he might be the parliament's attempt at replacing the Black Panther's role as the protector of Wakanda. It would be nice if he’s actually a younger hero that was inspired by T'Challa. T'Challa taking on a mentor role to a new young hero would actually be new for a change.
    I mean... I guess? I still don't understand why they are implementing new OCs when the existing current characters are barely fleshed out. As long as the character isn't written like the MA and isnt out there isht talking T'Challa I could be okay with it, though it seems like a wasted endeavor unless Ridley thinks this character will make the jump to the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm a little confused though.

Omolola and Tosin are Yoruba names. The Yoruba people are situated largely in West Africa but Wakanda is lodged somewhere in East Africa.

It's a little nitpicky (because Wakanda is fictional) but it strikes me as extremely strange considering that Wakanda isn't exactly "open" to the rest of the world.

I think Ridley would be better served to use the names of people that are located around the region that Wakanda is supposed to exist in.
    Over the years writers have taken things from religion and languages and added it to the mythos. Coates used primarily used Yoruba and Hausa, the MCU made their native language Hausa after John Kani's suggestion even though it doesn't makes sense geographically, and their gods are a mix of the Egyptian pantheon and the Orisha. Even Wakanda's location has been inconsistent over the years. It used to border Egypt but has jumped locations multiple times. Hudlin had it bordering the Congo but it has sense been firmly placed in the east.
    Last edited by KingNomarch; 01-20-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Right, like, should this be revealed in a solicit? Haven't even heard of this person or even seen them

But he's exciting and new! Everyone is talking about him!

Whoever he is...

(It's like the phrase "modern classic" :P )

I mean... I guess? I still don't understand why they are implementing new OCs when the existing current characters are barely fleshed out. As long as the character isn't written like the MA and isnt out there isht talking T'Challa I could be okay with it, though it seems like a wasted endeavor unless Ridley thinks this character will make the jump to the MCU
    Potential royalties I suppose? Idk what Ridley has planned for this oc but if he wants him to stick around past his run he'd have to do something that'd make it difficult for the next writer to toss him into limbo. Shuri lasted this long because Hudlin replaced T'Challa with her so without going that far he'd have to make Tosin interesting and get him involved with the wider MU.

Astonishing Member

Because inventing new characters is more likely to get a writer royalties. It’s a lot easier to introduce an OC with a basic level of appeal that can transition to other mediums than telling the “definitive” M’Baku or Okoye story that’ll get adapted. This Tosin doesn’t even need to be a good character, just a good enough template for Coogler and Feige to rework and fit into their version of the Marvel Universe. That’s not to say he won’t be a good character, but if his grand purpose really is to just be a BP replacement then I doubt he has much of a sustainable future in the comics.

Also doesn’t help that we aren’t getting many longtime readers of T’Challa on the BP title. RJ gave us revamped versions of characters like Zanda because heÂ’s deep in the lore of BP and has likely always hopped to rework a lot of those Kirby/McGregor-era villains and supporting characters. Can we say the same for Coates or even Hudlin (whose probably the worst culprit in all this because he dropped the best supporting cast T’Challa ever had.) It’s not even always about fandom. Priest, who resented BP at first, was able to keep most stuff from McGregor and Kirby while damn near doubling the size of the franchise to feel like an equal to that of Cap or Tony. And he was the only modern writer that needed to double the size of the IP, he didn’t have much to work with. Sometimes you just need someone who is willing to actually read the characters they write and looks at BP as more than a quick come up to bolster their Hollywood credentials.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-20-2022 at 12:17 PM.