Page 418 of 955 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422428468518918 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 14314

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/01/dc...les-hawkman-1/

I don’t know about y’all, but Hawkman is giving me some T’Challa vibes here. Hopefully this is a peek at what Aldis’ portrayal of Hawkman will be like in Black Adam because he was always one of my top choices for a recast.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    this is why calls for me to take over the book are misguided.

there's no way I would accept to continue with any of this stuff and no way that I see Marvel deviating from the chosen course.

things happen but... y'know...

it might be better to just do my own.
    Is it misguided to want someone on the book who actually cares about the title character though? Have we really gotten to the point that asking for a writer to tell stories about the main character and elevate said character instead of their super cool, super important and super awesome OC pet character is an unrealistic request?? I have have no issues with OCs showing up, as long as they are interesting, add something to the mythos but more importantly don't take away the the main character and to s lesser extent the supporting cast. You were able to knock it out the park with a single one shot, I can only imagine what you can do with a full Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Is it misguided to want someone on the book who actually cares about the title character though? Have we really gotten to the point that asking for a writer to tell stories about the main character and elevate said character instead of their super cool, super important and super awesome OC pet character is an unrealistic request?? I have have no issues with OCs showing up, as long as they are interesting, add something to the mythos but more importantly don't take away the the main character and to s lesser extent the supporting cast. You were able to knock it out the park with a single one shot, I can only imagine what you can do with a full Solo
    there's what I would do and there's what I'd be allowed to do.

I'm not sure either of us wants that second one.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Huh so I heard the Shuri comic introduced a super hacker friend of Shuri who comes from...... an isolationalist off the grid group in Wakanda with no internet somehow.

Is this the same tribe Toshin is from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Huh so I heard the Shuri comic introduced a super hacker friend of Shuri who comes from...... an isolationalist off the grid group in Wakanda with no internet somehow.

I believe the mute zone keeps being used in differing small variations
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    One thing you notice after reading comics for a while is franchises tend to continuously return to their “Big Story”, what the people in charge clearly see as the definitive story. For the F4 it’s Galactus, for X-Men it’s Phoenix, for Batman it’s Killing Joke, for Superman it’s Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen. And for Black Panther it seems to be him getting usurped. I’m so tired of seeing this rehashed over and OVER again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Sometimes EGOS come into play. Along with that NASTY slap of REALITY.

Think about you are DC or Marvel-you got Batman, Peter Parker, Superman, WW, Hal, Barry, X-Men and so on.
    You have SHOVED these folks down everyone man, woman and child's throats for over 70+ years. No matter how good to mediocre to down right HORRIBLE to offensive.
    You gave them every A lister known to man and tons of promotion.

The bruised EGO is these characters given so LITTLE have produced in return so much.

If they invest in Black Panther and it vindicates McDuffie and so many others. Who have fought for these characters.

Now if they are willing to throw away money by burying Black Panther-sooner than LATER Disney is going to see through that and house clean.

Disney is about MONEY. They do NOT care who brings it.
    And let's not forget that article from last year talking about how Hollywood overall loses billions (roughly 10 billion, to be more precise) every year because they (deliberately) neglect or ignore stories based on and creatives from black (and otherwise nonwhite) communities. That's something I doubt would go unaddressed now.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The only reason I read BP at all because of this thread TBH

I woulda dipped out and left a long time ago.

This is easily the darkest timeline for me as fan though.

The period between Kingpin of Wakanda and Hickman was dark in a sense that there was literally nothign except scraps available. But at least it wasn't actively destructive, it was just nothing.

For 6? 7? years it has been mostly **** with the occasional team/sidebook propping things up plus the MCU

Now... there is no MCU and the side books have dried up and the continue assault on the character was continued by Ridley.

It really feels like one of those situations where we have to wait out the MCU and wait out the synergy and then we will go "back" to the "BP gets a solo every once in awhile" years.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The only reason I read BP at all because of this thread TBH

I woulda dipped out and left a long time ago.

This is easily the darkest timeline for me as fan though.

The period between Kingpin of Wakanda and Hickman was dark in a sense that there was literally nothign except scraps available. But at least it wasn't actively destructive, it was just nothing.

For 6? 7? years it has been mostly **** with the occasional team/sidebook propping things up plus the MCU

Now... there is no MCU and the side books have dried up and the continue assault on the character was continued by Ridley.

It really feels like one of those situations where we have to wait out the MCU and wait out the synergy and then we will go "back" to the "BP gets a solo every once in awhile" years.
    If it helps every dork age ends eventually. The Guardians of the Galaxy were in a pretty big one for most of the 2010s due to synergy and Bendis hogging the title.

They only really escaped it and shunned off the synergy in 2019 with the Donny Cates where it finally started allowing the return of cosmic characters beyond the movie group and its been going pretty decent.

Well's gotta dry up one of these days. At least that's me trying to stay optimistic. At the very least several of the writers they have brought in havn't written much of anything since, Coates only wrote the one Captain America ongoing and hasn't done anything since.

And Ridley himself isn't doing that well either, his Jace Batman series isn't doing so well and the acclaim from his Other Side of the DC Universe seems to have faded since he's not writing anything else for currently aside from the occasional contribution to anthology mini's like Batman: Black and White or Superman: Red and Blue.

Which is fairly notable. Writers like say Joshua Williamson, Ram V, Philip Kennedy Johnson, and AL Ewing write a lot of stuff at a time from multiple ongoings to one-shots for events and stuff. Ridley though hasn't been working on anything else, almost like no one is offering him any other work.

If it helps every dork age ends eventually. The Guardians of the Galaxy were in a pretty big one for most of the 2010s due to synergy and Bendis hogging the title.

They only really escaped it and shunned off the synergy in 2019 with the Donny Cates where it finally started allowing the return of cosmic characters beyond the movie group and its been going pretty decent.

Well's gotta dry up one of these days. At least that's me trying to stay optimistic. At the very least several of the writers they have brought in havn't written much of anything since, Coates only wrote the one Captain America ongoing and hasn't done anything since.

And Ridley himself isn't doing that well either, his Jace Batman series isn't doing so well and the acclaim from his Other Side of the DC Universe seems to have faded since he's not writing anything else for currently aside from the occasional contribution to anthology mini's like Batman: Black and White or Superman: Red and Blue.

Which is fairly notable. Writers like say Joshua Williamson, Ram V, Philip Kennedy Johnson, and AL Ewing write a lot of stuff at a time from multiple ongoings to one-shots for events and stuff. Ridley though hasn't been working on anything else, almost like no one is offering him any other work.
    Ridley is writing the Penguin one shot for the Batman: One Bad Day series which is a collection of prominent talent attempting to write prestige stories for the rest of Batman’s Rogues. Lot of the “top” writers in the group like Tom King, Joshua Williamson, Tom Taylor, Gerry Duggan, etc. That Ridley is included means DC probably still considers him one of their up and comers. For what it’s worth I’m actually enjoying his Jace Fox Batman run a lot more than his BP.

I think a lot of BP’s problems can be laid at the feet of editorial. The writers don’t get free reign unless you’re a super star like Hickman, and even that has limits. The editors tell the writers what they can and can’t do, and sometimes they even force the writers to hit certain plot beats. Might be that the reason we keep getting crap with everyone yelling at T’Challa and him losing his throne is because the editors want that kind of story for BP. Doesn’t mean Ridley couldn’t be doing better, I’ve been disappointed with how he’s handling T’Challa, but I don’t think all the blame is solely his.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    there's what I would do and there's what I'd be allowed to do.

I'm not sure either of us wants that second one.
    I dunno RJ, I feel like even if you forced to go a deconstruction route, you would do so without making T'Challa look like a complete incompetent fool who hangs hos head in shame all the time.

It's possible to write a story on which T'Challa may take some losses at the end but still looks competent in the process.

No way do I believe that if you were writing the current story, even with editor mandates wanting the story to head a direction that ends with T'Challa stripped of his titles, you could do so while still making him a badass and have the titles end on his terms

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I dunno RJ, I feel like even if you forced to go a deconstruction route, you would do so without making T'Challa look like a complete incompetent fool who hangs hos head in shame all the time.
    no chance, that's true.

It's possible to write a story on which T'Challa may take some losses at the end but still looks competent in the process.
    yep. more than possible. some people have actually accomplished this. that said, heroes do need to get their asses whipped so they can come back.

No way do I believe that if you were writing the current story, even with editor mandates wanting the story to head a direction that ends with T'Challa stripped of his titles, you could do so while still making him a badass and have the titles end on his terms
    I believe there's a way to make nearly everyone happy (except Storm fans, sadly. She's an anchor that needs to be out of the Panther story except for RARE special occasions.) but, again, I'm 99.9999999999999% sure they'd never let me do it. Even if we started strong, halfway through, somebody high up would give some mandate that would **** it up.

Still, one never knows...

1725BFB9-1D40-4994-B184-65F12C3A941A.jpg

i was wondering if this might be the same tribe shown here once upon a time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One thing you notice after reading comics for a while is franchises tend to continuously return to their “Big Story”, what the people in charge clearly see as the definitive story. For the F4 it’s Galactus, for X-Men it’s Phoenix, for Batman it’s Killing Joke, for Superman it’s Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen. And for Black Panther it seems to be him getting usurped. I’m so tired of seeing this rehashed over and OVER again.
    Or "Kang attacks!" or "Killmonger wants the throne!" Often in various combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think a lot of BP’s problems can be laid at the feet of editorial. The writers don’t get free reign unless you’re a super star like Hickman, and even that has limits. The editors tell the writers what they can and can’t do, and sometimes they even force the writers to hit certain plot beats. Might be that the reason we keep getting crap with everyone yelling at T’Challa and him losing his throne is because the editors want that kind of story for BP. Doesn’t mean Ridley couldn’t be doing better, I’ve been disappointed with how he’s handling T’Challa, but I don’t think all the blame is solely his.
    I honestly think it's the opposite. Editorial doesn't CARE about a character unless there's a movie coming out, and then they just want his or her name on covers. The X-Office is a notable exception because they've basically been on one long rolling storyline since Hox/PoX. Ridley is a decent writer (better than Coates by a long shot) but has a particular story to tell and damn the consequences. And Marvel Editorial doesn't care.

Please recall, these are the same bozos who decided to kill off Stephen Strange shortly before his new movie came out...