Page 880 of 955 FirstFirst ... 380780830870876877878879880881882883884890930 ... LastLast
Results 13,186 to 13,200 of 14314
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I must confess this thread is indeed depressive.

The problem is the overall state of the character and his mythos aren’t in good shape.. The comics are in some weird state where they can’t decide what they want to do with T’Challa. That’s besides the fact that they are terrible and boring. He’s dead in the MCU and has been replaced by his son. Even in games, it seems that T’Challa might not be the focus of the upcoming game.

Regarding the film, I didn’t plan on seeing it but I wasn’t going to have a stand-off with my wife who’s been eagerly waiting for it..LOL(she’s very far removed from anything geek culture). I don’t regret seeing it though and I also don’t want the movie to fail, it’s just upsetting that one of the most prominent black superheroes in pop culture gets this sort of treatment.

If the movie fails, all it would is give ammunition to the anti-woke crowd that minority led projects aren’t viable. That sentiment is something that runs deep inside Hollywood itself with a lot of studios not really wanting to back black led films.
    Going by that sentiment...they should never, ever make another Thor movie. LOL (I laugh, but I'd be okies with that)

The widely varied personal feelings of the T'Challa/BP fans side...a lot of other people/critics (depends on where you look) have said that technical issues aside, it is certainly one of the better Marvel movies in the recent while and ostensibly because Coogler and Co. dared to write a story that went against "type" and felt emotional on many levels.

As someone who appreciates when movies go against "type" (as with the recent Batman and not so recent Joker movies) it was a a very enjoyable experience one that, having known everything for the past couple of years leading up to it, I was still very pleasantly surprised.

And while the figures aren't by some ridiculous standard, the "greatest", there's no way they could ever say that Black and Minority led films cannot/will not sell.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-05-2022 at 11:58 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    LOL. As I suspected. (it's probably less, no judgment)
    Naw home, my wife and friends have given up trying to convince me to see the movie. I really don't stress about it. I'm just repping as a T'Challa fan in here. He's not in the movie, then no reason for me to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Naw home, my wife and friends have given up trying to convince me to see the movie. I really don't stress about it. I'm just repping as a T'Challa fan in here. He's not in the movie, then no reason for me to see it!

I look at it the same damn way.

I just wanted to say, far from being depressing or depressive, this thread has managed to light a fire under me on some stuff on which I've been holding off.

Perfectionism is the death of creativity so, you can look forward to some madness in 2023.

Thanks. Truly.

Oh, and say, "hello" to the FRONT LINE.

Last edited by Redjack; 12-05-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Idk, I feel like they did it as clearly as they could without T’Challa just being revealed to know all the answers, which would be boring. T’Challa explains a theory that no one else on the team had and is responsible for directly coordinating with Tony on the field to help out the team in the middle of combat. That’s a fair depiction 3 issues into a series that obviously has more to it than just what’s on the surface. And for a team book that’s quite a bit compared to some of the other characters, Sam got brought in just to get hurt lol.

I’m not sure it’s reasonable to expect T’Challa to go out on his own and do his own thing when the team as a whole has barely done anything so far. He’s already being shown to have some unique insight that’ll probably get explored later, which is good enough. For now. Im fine with him putting the pieces together as long as there’s payoff down the line, be it next issue or in the next arc when things come to a head. This is still the set up phase and super-strategic T’Challa works when you’ve given the story time to breath, otherwise you end up with Ridley’s run, where characters are making wild accusations and going on wild goose chases that amount to nothing because the story can’t get concluded in 3-4 issues.
    Yeah fair enough. I guess it's so few and far between lately that we get T'Challa as capable that I want it to be as good as possible.

I hope it just leads to something more than just a one off comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    They're probably waiting to do something stupid like have Shuri kill him instead.
    Doubt it, she let Namor who directly killed Ramonda intentionally as well as other Wakandans without remorse and she didn't kill him. MCU Wakandans are punked out hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah fair enough. I guess it's so few and far between lately that we get T'Challa as capable that I want it to be as good as possible.

I hope it just leads to something more than just a one off comment.

I was hoping they’d flesh out TChalla’s comment (his role) next issue. But it looks like we’ll have to wait as the next issue focuses on Widow, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Woman battling their way out of trouble. There’s been little focus on TChalla, but I’ll take it over Ridley’s run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I must confess this thread is indeed depressive.

The problem is the overall state of the character and his mythos aren’t in good shape.. The comics are in some weird state where they can’t decide what they want to do with T’Challa. That’s besides the fact that they are terrible and boring. He’s dead in the MCU and has been replaced by his son. Even in games, it seems that T’Challa might not be the focus of the upcoming game.

Regarding the film, I didn’t plan on seeing it but I wasn’t going to have a stand-off with my wife who’s been eagerly waiting for it..LOL(she’s very far removed from anything geek culture). I don’t regret seeing it though and I also don’t want the movie to fail, it’s just upsetting that one of the most prominent black superheroes in pop culture gets this sort of treatment.

If the movie fails, all it would is give ammunition to the anti-woke crowd that minority led projects aren’t viable. That sentiment is something that runs deep inside Hollywood itself with a lot of studios not really wanting to back black led films.
    I look at it like this...

This is the highest grossing movie in history with a Black female lead character.

So the first Black Panther was the highest grossing movie in history with a Black lead character, and Wakanda Forever holds that same distinction with a Black female lead.

As for Hollywood and it's hesitancy on Black leads in movies of this scale and in this genre... yeah, that is a bit worrisome.

Armor Wars and Blade I guess are up next. And the Sam Captain America movie before those two, I suppose.

I personally would want something other than those, because I'm not really feeling smash hit with any of them.

Blade is reported to be getting a page-one rewrite. That ain't great to hear, but I guess it does mean that they care. And that Mahershala Ali is saying that I'm not just going to put out anything just to say I did a comic book movie.

That said, there's not a whole lot of Black characters to choose from, so you kind of almost have to take what's given.

Briefly on Wakanda Forever again -- that audience breakdown:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    44% -- Black
    21% -- Hispanic and Latino
    20% -- Caucasian
    15% -- Asian/other

Black Panther
    37% -- Black
    35% -- Caucasian
    18% -- Hispanic and Latino
    5% -- Asian/other

So either the Caucasian audience were huge Chadwick Boseman fans, or they just had less interest in this movie overall. Because every other group increased except for them.

What if any affect this has on the Black Panther franchise going forward is hard to say. Or how this affects the Sam Cap movie or Mahershala Ali Blade movie is hard to say at this minute right now too.

Whatever happens, again, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I just wanted to say, far from being depressing or depressive, this thread has managed to light a fire under me on some stuff on which I've been holding off.

Perfectionism is the death of creativity so, you can look forward to some madness in 2023.

Thanks. Truly.

One thing to remember, is that despite the isht being flung onto the mythos, the thread Will eventually move past the movie and (hopefully) move to more positivity. The trolls have left as expected and the thread will eventually stabilize. We just need some good news to turn it around completely

By the way, super excited to see what else you have in store

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    You missed the very clear part where I said I don't care what youtubers are saying.

I. Have. Made. My. Own. Opinion. Based. On. What I. Have. Seen...

Phase 4 is largely trash. GoT season 8 is hated and yet the viewership is not only one of the highest in the series but in general fir any TV show, doesn't mean its good. In fact, season 8 alone for many people ruined the entire series. The MCU's phase 4 is largely trash and if anyone thinks differently, good for them. Most of Phase 4 was either terrible, not worth watching or couldn't hold on to viewership as far as I'm concerned. The creativity has been lazy and half assed.

WandaVision, Loki, Shang-Chi, No Way Home were all good everything else was either mediocre or just terrible with Love and Thunder being the biggest offender. Even Hemsworth came out and practically trashed the film and TW.
    But apparently Phase 4 isn't a disappointment and all is fine:

Marvel Reportedly Unhappy With Phase 4, Considering Major Changes to Phase 5-6 Slate
    https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...-slate-changes

Thanks. Truly.

Looking forward to it.

Also, the Priest Omnibus hits general retailers tomorrow, so get your orders in.

Spent my last 3 plus weeks in Mbanza Kongo and Luanda, Angola, no "Wakanda Forever", no Disney+ and all was well. I respect those who chose to support the film and I hope they enjoyed it.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Truly.

Hello, Front Line. Looking forward to it.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Thanks. Truly.

I see you sir! Don't keep us waiting.too long on this!