Page 424 of 955 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524924 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 14314
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ezyo1000 View Post
    it's easy to not understand why people are so fired up about if one has never grown up and not seeing heroic characters that look like you doing badass stuff. Seeing people that look like you being non-existent sucks, but being the sidekick, the joke, the punching bag, vilified, or some stereotype sucks worse.

So when you have a character who was literally created at the height of civil unrest and was created to dissolve the stereotypes around black people and show that they can be just as heroic and special as their white counterparts, and said character has such historical and social relevance, being cast aside like garbage, and the people doing it are saying isht like "is just a mantle, he's just one in a long line (which originally he wasn't, he was the first) and hey look we have these black stand-ins" it affects people.

Representation matters. And its people who are always represented that come in and ask what the big deal is are the ones who don't understand it because they have never not been represented.

Not necessarily saying that your one of those people but just food for thought.
    100% facts!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Just don't try and tell me I HAVE to like Wakanda Forever or Coates or Ridley just because I like the character. Or just because "support minorities!"

THIS RIGHT HERE....

Because those same fake woke folks who will beat this horse senseless are the same ones who will do the greatest gymnastic routines to NOT support Redjack's Green Lantern, Ridley's Jace Fox, ALL of Milestone and Proud Mary.

They won't be there for Bitter Root or Static when those movies show up. Nor Strange Worlds when it comes out from Disney in November. Nor John Stewart DVD later this month.

I can name 50 black lead or black written comics out NOW and they won't know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It's easy to not understand why people are so fired up about if one has never grown up and not seeing heroic characters that look like you doing badass stuff. Seeing people that look like you Being non-existent sucks, but being the sidekick, the joke, the punching bag, vilified, or some stereotype sucks worse.

So when you have a character who was literally created at the height of civil unrest and was created to dissolve the stereotypes around Black people and show that they can be just as heroic and special as their white counterparts, and said character has such historical and social relevance, being cast aside like garbage, and the people doing it are saying isht like "Is just a mantle, he's just one in a long line (which originally he wasn't, he was the first) and hey look we have these Black stand-ins" it affects people.

Representation matters. And its people who are always represented that come in and ask what the big deal is are the ones who don't understand it because they have never NOT been represented.

Not necessarily saying that your one of those people but just food for thought.
    I understand what you’re saying but I’m mixed race. No one looked like me in films when I was growing up. No one looked like me on tv when I was growing up. If I’m honest, no one looked like me at school! Now that I think of it, no one looks like me at work. Not even close. I don’t think I ever thought of it but maybe it was easier without social media. My world was smaller than what people grow up with now. They now consider their place in the world. When I was growing up, the only world I knew was my own. I was pretty much in my own head & was happy there I guess. Everyone else was a supporting character. I totally get your points though.

Incredible Member

BLACK people will go see this film..
    We're a loud minority online but the casual Black Movie goer will support this film..

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Marvel editorial is really to blame here. BP has been handed off to “non-comic book” writers for the last couple of years now. They are not doing this with their “established” franchises like X-men, Hulk, Thor, Spider-man or even Daredevil.
    No they have done it before with some of those guys.
    See 2006 Moon Knight. That was Charles Huston's FIRST Marvel book. Followed by 6 one shots and then got Deathlok & Wolverine. Where he bombed. Yet he got Deadpool, X-Force, Shang & Punisher beforehand.
    They get something that gets their feet in the door or they worked in some other job at said company like Tom King.
    The major difference is those folks have had some experience in writing fiction. Ridley is better than this.

2. The shortage of black writers in the comics sphere.
    Many of them can't get interviews to pitch or a project beyond one story.
    Ray Anthony Height writes and draws. How many shots has he gotten to write? And he works for Marvel.

[/QUOTE]
    Marvel editorial really needs to get it together on not just BP but some of their other minority characters (see the recent Miles Morales fiasco). It’s not just enough to handover a character to a minority creator, what do these creators want to do with the character? [/QUOTE]

In the Miles's case that writer is laughing to the bank because it boosted sales of his books and one is getting a new printing (FOC for this week has it).

The issue is trying to get a name that will ensure those books get on shelves beyond the comic book store.

Remember Priest's run could not get a trade beyond volume 2. Hudlin got those trades on shelves.

Miles Morales's first novel was by Jason Reynolds. Best seller week one. See Beast Boy Loves Raven Teen Titan books-Kami Garcia that book was Amazon top seller the moment it was on pre-order and her new one with Robin is there too and won't come out until 2023. Same with Nic Stone's Shuri books and Gene Leun Yung's Superman Smashes Klan.
    Those books being GOOD were a bonus.

I think they are going with the idea of this-toss them out there and someone desperate enough is going to read them. ESPECIALLY when those books hit bargain bins or buy 2 get 1 free sales. Target just did one and I got Static's book free. I mean how do you thing Batman got to be where he is? You can TRIP over copies of his books anywhere.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    We're a loud minority online but the casual Black Movie goer will support this film..
    Definitely, but I'll be surprised If it's with the same enthusiasm as the first movie. The 1st one felt like a celebration this will feel like a funeral.

Idk maybe ppl will surprise me.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I understand what you’re saying but I’m mixed race. No one looked like me in films when I was growing up. No one looked like me on tv when I was growing up. If I’m honest, no one looked like me at school! Now that I think of it, no one looks like me at work. Not even close. I don’t think I ever thought of it but maybe it was easier without social media. My world was smaller than what people grow up with now. They now consider their place in the world. When I was growing up, the only world I knew was my own. I was pretty much in my own head & was happy there I guess. Everyone else was a supporting character. I totally get your points though.
    Growing up I saw people that looked like me but again, they were thugs, gangbangers, drug slingers, pimps, slaves, etc etc. Very few were allowed to be more than a sidekick. I wasn't into comics as a kid because all the heroes didn't look like me and it wasn't until adulthood that I found out about T'Challa.

Yes I knew about spawn and blade as I was older but couldn't get much in my area about them and it was different than when I learned about T'Challa. He was what I was looking for my entire life. As I wished I was white growing up because they got to do all the cool stuff and felt larger than life. So when I see how they treat the literal biggiest Black hero of all time and arguably the biggest solo hero (comparable to Spiderman) who was the first MCU movie to gross 700 mil domestic and win Oscars, THIS is how they are treating such a historical and culturally relevant character?

Just throw him away and use his sister who has neither the cultural or historical impact and is basically a generic hero in the MCU and completely underdeveloped in the comics... It's insulting. And ti sends a message that Black people are interachangeable.

VERY different from a recast because the recast is continuing a a fictional character, not sidelining them for what's essentially a new character that never existed in the franchise

People will go to see it no doubt. But the question is will they do repeat viewings. Because that’s how the first Black Panther became a cultural juggernaut, people went to go see it multiple times.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    People will go to see it no doubt. But the question is will they do repeat viewings. Because that’s how the first Black Panther became a cultural juggernaut, people went to go see it multiple times.
    �� Man even though I had my issues with the first film the hype and excitement lol and debating if Killmonger was right .

GOOD TIMES...

And of course, T'Challa is trending on Twitter

They will see e it yes but will they continue to support it or be too depressed?

Incredible Member

My question to you guys is who is supposed to take up the black panther mantle Ryan coolger killed off everyone besides shuri. The actress that plays shuri doesn’t what to be the BP lol. I truly think there will be no BP in this movie. Everyone keep saying mantle but who supposed to take it lol

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

It will prolly be about as controversial as the last bunch of Marvel movies. Like they are successful don't get me wrong but a lot of them have been increasingly divisive with Eternals regarded as possibly among the worst Marvel films and the various debates raging about Multiverse of Madness from its handling of Wanda, the multiverse setting, and the Illuminati.

It will be interesting how much it makes considering how the last movie billion mark.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BPStorm2 View Post
    My question to you guys is who is supposed to take up the black panther mantle Ryan coolger killed off everyone besides shuri. The actress that plays shuri doesn’t what to be the BP lol. I truly think there will be no BP in this movie. Everyone keep saying mantle but who supposed to take it lol
    Most likely picks are either Okoye, Nakia, and maybe M'Baku.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The fact he is powered by a (cat) god at all is just weird and unnecessary.

The "culture" they are adapting is going to either be ridiculously superficial.... or the movie is barely going to be in Wakanda outside of a funeral of sorts.
    Black Panther: Wakanda ForAFewMinutes.