Page 561 of 955 FirstFirst ... 61461511551557558559560561562563564565571611661 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,415 of 14314
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Moore, Feige, and everyone involved are going to spend the next year pushing the mantle narrative. Feige had already started falsely claiming that the comics had always been about Wakanda and not T'Challa. People against the recast have already been using the mantle excuse and treats Shuri taking over as a much bigger deal than it ever was in the comics. It will only get worse after the movie.
    If it's a mantle... shouldn't we SEE that???

Especially in terms of merchandise??

We have seen Bruce, Jace, Jim, Dick, Jean Paul, Terry and Daddy Wayne as Batman in various merchandise.

We have seen Peter, Miguel, Miles, Hobie and Dr Oct as Spider-Man in various merchandise.

Meanwhile WHO have we constantly seen as Black Panther in merchandise? T'CHALLA. We just saw 5 new T'Challa shirts put by Marvel recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    That was my plan. T'Challa needs MULTIPLE potential love interests that are linked to HIS mythology and only his.

For the show he also needed a set of Rogues that could really go against him. The rule is the BADGUY has to actually be BETTER, SMARTER, STRONGER and/or BETTER EQUIPPED (or all of the above) than the good guy or there's no struggle for the Good Guy to overcome.

The hero has to WORK for it, IOW. That's why you saw T'Challs getting smacked around a lot in the series and making mistakes. The WIN has to cost the hero nearly everything.
    We need that. Honestly, Zanda, Monica, and (I guess) nuNakia would be great, OR that crocodile character cause she seemed interesting.

As for the villains, I agree atleast to the point that they should be his equal. Few characters I think would be better or smarter than T'Challa, BUT it would be good to have a character who we see some grandmaster Chess moves between T'Challa and the villain. Also though, sometimes it's nice to just see T'Challa completely whoop the ass of a villain (like you had him do to kraven), maybe one that is definitely cunning, but has an inflated ego and when they come to the showdown T'Challa shows him why he is the most dangerous man alive.

I would say out of 10 stories how I would structure it, I would want him to have 3 solid no strings attached wins, 2 wins that cost hom something, 2 wins that cost him nearly everything, 1 prryhic victory, 1 straight up loss/deconstruction, which is followed directly by a put back together TRIUMPHANT grandslam victory. Those can be in any order EXCEPT for the last three. The prryhic victory can't be the first story, and the last two should be the final stories.

Ultimate Member
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 08-18-2022 at 05:19 PM. Reason: fixed link

Of this were Redjack or Priest I would be hyped AF, but because it's Ridley it just makes me cringe and fear for the mountain of BS this will bring and how unsatisfactory and convoluted this story will be

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    With all the rumors floating around, the idea of the mantle makes Black Panther less important, because Disney can just put anyone in the suit. It reminds me of what Val Kilmer felt about playing Batman in Batman Forever, that the suit was more important than what he brought to the role (paraphrasing). Black Panther's suit is iconic, but the person inside it also makes the suit, as we've already seen from T'Chaka, T'Challa, and Killmonger, in the MCU already. However, if Disney can just pull off making the suit alone the star, the character inside being secondary if that it will do a disservice to the history T'Challa has made in comics.

At Comic Con, I got the vibe that Letitia Wright wasn't that enthused, and if there are more controversies in the future, I could see Disney replacing her (assuming Shuri will become BP in Wakanda Forever). It will be interesting to see the anti-recast crowd largely have no problem with recasting then. Or Disney would just put another character like Ayo, Aneka, Nakia, or Okoye in the suit and with the precedent already established, Shuri BP fans wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.

As for Wakanda Forever's box office, right now I do think it will make a billion. I don't think it will overtake the first film's box office though. Hollywood needs this film to succeed and they will pull out all the stops to make it a hit. The problem for them is going to be repeat business. Also, there's less of a unified good feeling about this film than there was about the 2018 film. Buzz, word of mouth is going to be huge. What I could see happening is that Wakanda Forever makes a billion like The Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker and is still considered a disappointment.
    Repeat business will be the big thing, but I guarantee you they are going to have critics have the KIDDIEST of kid gloves on, completely ignore anything and every criticism and talk strictly about how great of a tribute they did for Chad (of there is a funeral scene) how beautiful it was, and how they cried and felt like they were able to say goodbye...

And like you said this isn't a celebration like the first. I doubt people are going to be buying out theaters for young black children to watch them use a Black mans death for profit. It will have a big opening weekend for sure. Maybe even the following too. But I feel it will lose legs pretty fast if it's relying on grief to sell Tickets.

With Nate Moore in this latest video, Winstons recent comments about alternating expectations, Martin Freemans interviews, everyone isn't seeming so confident like they were before and don't seem very enthused about the movie. That affects the movie goers as well and recast movement continues to get stronger. Disney needed something like hso family coming out on favor of their choice and because they didn't and infact supported the recast, as well as Y'lan Noel showing interest, again time is against them

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    What would be a good alternative codename for M’Baku and/or the Gorilla God’s champion?
    M' Baku sounds Powerful enough

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Repeat business will be the big thing, but I guarantee you they are going to have critics have the KIDDIEST of kid gloves on, completely ignore anything and every criticism and talk strictly about how great of a tribute they did for Chad (of there is a funeral scene) how beautiful it was, and how they cried and felt like they were able to say goodbye...

And like you said this isn't a celebration like the first. I doubt people are going to be buying out theaters for young black children to watch them use a Black mans death for profit. It will have a big opening weekend for sure. Maybe even the following too. But I feel it will lose legs pretty fast if it's relying on grief to sell Tickets.

With Nate Moore in this latest video, Winstons recent comments about alternating expectations, Martin Freemans interviews, everyone isn't seeming so confident like they were before and don't seem very enthused about the movie. That affects the movie goers as well and recast movement continues to get stronger. Disney needed something like hso family coming out on favor of their choice and because they didn't and infact supported the recast, as well as Y'lan Noel showing interest, again time is against them
    The recast movement isn't as strong as the casual MCU fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    The recast movement isn't as strong as the casual MCU fan
    The MCU isn't as strong as the earlier phases either. Phase 4 has shown they are kinda aimless.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I feel like Alex Ross is being wasted on this series

These covers have all been really bland, not much have been real standouts in terms of creativity and spectacle

Fantastic Member

I disagree with you a tiny bit. I do think there will be people buying out theaters, at first. And already there's talk in the media of Blacks and Latinos wearing white when they go see the film. They are already trying to make this another cultural event, this time a cross cultural or bi-cultural one. I think most people will buy the Disney line that this film honors Chadwick Boseman and also will be swayed by the Black Girl Magic of the majority of the cast. I think people are going to want to support this film just like they did the first one, and some might do it out of a belief that if they don't, there won't be more films like it. You'll also have the MCU faithful, MCU curious, casually curious, and those who care more about Namor than anyone else in the cast, or Latino representation. And it will be interesting to see how Latino moviegoers will respond, and if they will embrace Namor and this version of the Atlanteans.

I expect a full court press from Disney, the Hollywood media, social media, etc. to see this film in theaters as soon as you can, and as many times as you can for "The Culture", Latino representation, female empowerment (especially Black Girl Magic), and to honor Boseman's legacy. Hollywood needs Wakanda Forever to be a smash. The biggest wrinkle, the x-factor are moviegoers. Will this movie have the kind of wow moments that get people talking outside of Hollywood and the media, and will these people keep coming back for repeat business? While there are vastly more casual MCU fans than there are recast supporters, I'm not discounting that the recast movement has some folks who are diehard fans and if they don't show up, or don't come back multiple times, that might hurt the box office and merchandise sales. Right now, I'm leaning toward not going to see the film, and I went four times to see the first one.

And if the fandom is divided, or there's griping on the margins, that also undercuts the idea that this is a must-see cultural moment that everyone agrees on (the first one wasn't, but it's detractors never gained much traction). The vast majority of people-including pro-recasters IMO-will go see this film, many on opening weekend, but it's after that, the weekday business, and the succeeding weeks where we will get to see how much of a hit this film will be. Or not be.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...er/ar-AA10gvRA

https://news.yahoo.com/major-movie-t...ycsrp_catchall
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 08-19-2022 at 04:34 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It will succeed.
    Not for the reasons or in the numbers as the first movie succeeded, but it should do very well going by current MCU standards.
    And I'll be very happy if it does. Just because the Comic book is **** doesn't mean the movie should be or has to be. I will go see it eventually...just not in the first month of release (C-19 is still a thing)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It will succeed.
    Not for the reasons or in the numbers as the first movie succeeded, but it should do very well going by current MCU standards.
    And I'll be very happy if it does. Just because the Comic book is **** doesn't mean the movie should be or has to be. I will go see it eventually...just not in the first month of release (C-19 is still a thing)
    I don't think the movie will flop, but how "successful" it will be, whatever the box office, is a question mark for me. Your qualifier that Wakanda Forever will do well by current MCU standards isn't that inspiring. I say that because currently the MCU is not doing as well as it once did, and two, the current MCU films are still being compared to the boom times and seen as lacking. Almost any other film that makes some $700 million would be considered a massive success, but it seems like Thor is being regarded as so-so. One thing that will help sell Wakanda Forever as a resounding success is if it does better financially than the first film. Any blockbuster sequel that doesn't do better than the first film (if that film was a big success) is going to get talked about. Jurassic World Dominion is closing in on a billion, but still it doesn't seem like that movie really hit like it was intended.

I'm leaning toward not seeing it, though I do plan on looking at the spoilers. If I'm okay with the spoilers, then I imagine I will go take a look for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I disagree with you a tiny bit. I do think there will be people buying out theaters, at first. And already there's talk in the media of Blacks and Latinos wearing white when they go see the film. They are already trying to make this another cultural event, this time a cross cultural or bi-cultural one. I think most people will buy the Disney line that this film honors Chadwick Boseman and also will be swayed by the Black Girl Magic of the majority of the cast. I think people are going to want to support this film just like they did the first one, and some might do it out of a belief that if they don't, there won't be more films like it. You'll also have the MCU faithful, MCU curious, casually curious, and those who care more about Namor than anyone else in the cast, or Latino representation. And it will be interesting to see how Latino moviegoers will respond, and if they will embrace Namor and this version of the Atlanteans.

I expect a full court press from Disney, the Hollywood media, social media, etc. to see this film in theaters as soon as you can, and as many times as you can for "The Culture", Latino representation, female empowerment (especially Black Girl Magic), and to honor Boseman's legacy. Hollywood needs Wakanda Forever to be a smash. The biggest wrinkle, the x-factor are moviegoers. Will this movie have the kind of wow moments that get people talking outside of Hollywood and the media, and will these people keep coming back for repeat business? While there are vastly more casual MCU fans than there are recast supporters, I'm not discounting that the recast movement has some folks who are diehard fans and if they don't show up, or don't come back multiple times, that might hurt the box office and merchandise sales. Right now, I'm leaning toward not going to see the film, and I went four times to see the first one.

And if the fandom is divided, or there's griping on the margins, that also undercuts the idea that this is a must-see cultural moment that everyone agrees on (the first one wasn't, but it's detractors never gained much traction). The vast majority of people-including pro-recasters IMO-will go see this film, many on opening weekend, but it's after that, the weekday business, and the succeeding weeks where we will get to see how much of a hit this film will be. Or not be.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...er/ar-AA10gvRA

https://news.yahoo.com/major-movie-t...ycsrp_catchall
    Of people want to go by all means they can do so. I just think that wearing white and claiming that this will give them "closure" is honestly just dishonest. People mourned. They said goodbye. And now they are saying they MUST have a funeral for Chadwick. They want to feel included in a celebrities passing. That's all it is. They don't care how this will look to young black children, Black boys especially. They don't care that slm this female empowerment that people are raving about comes at the cost of Black males, even though the first was about to do both. They don't care that actors and characters are not one and the same and aren't beholden to a fictional character, they don't give a isht about Chads words, or his families feelings. THEY want to be apart of a celebrity funeral and that's it.

Of people want to go by all means they can do so. I just think that wearing white and claiming that this will give them "closure" is honestly just dishonest. People mourned. They said goodbye. And now they are saying they MUST have a funeral for Chadwick. They want to feel included in a celebrities passing. That's all it is. They don't care how this will look to young black children, Black boys especially. They don't care that slm this female empowerment that people are raving about comes at the cost of Black males, even though the first was about to do both. They don't care that actors and characters are not one and the same and aren't beholden to a fictional character, they don't give a isht about Chads words, or his families feelings. THEY want to be apart of a celebrity funeral and that's it.
    Agreed.

I do wonder though...if the movie DOESN'T do well, or is a couple hundred short of a billion, will black men exclusively get the blame?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Agreed.

I do wonder though...if the movie DOESN'T do well, or is a couple hundred short of a billion, will black men exclusively get the blame?
    As a black man myself, I'm not taking that responsibility on my shoulders. None of that short-of-a-billion dollars is going into my account so really...Fock No!
    Fail, or not, that's entirely on the studio and Marvel/Disney.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!