Page 615 of 955 FirstFirst ... 115515565605611612613614615616617618619625665715 ... LastLast
Results 9,211 to 9,225 of 14314

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    "I grew up hearing this phrase, and between this and also being an American, any type of monarchy gets my side-eye of disapproval...even a mythical one. Then I realized, in writing Black Panther, I could affect him and his country. I could enter into direct conversation and be heard."

This is a direct quote from the forward of Nnedi Okokafor, writer of the Black Panther anthology book being released...??? Why the heck is Marvel continuing to let people with this mindset at all anywhere near a story about a fictional black monarch in charge of a powerful nation.
    "Due to my own personal biases and lack of creativity and professionalism, I bow am have the opportunity to change am(and likely ruin) something I haven't bothered to understand and instead will alter it into something lesser and no longer unique because I can't wrap my head around something being different from what I know and thus feel entitled to demand MY opinion be made the reality"

Is what I got from that

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I actually had an interesting discussion about this with a friend of mine. Pretty smart and more socially aware than I am. From what he guesses, its hard to hire social-justice-conscious African-American writers who like monarchy because the concept of the monarchy has became a bigger source of social criticism.

To quote him in full, "Discussions about authoritarianism that spun from the last decade made the idea of great men and great kings a more dubious prospect"

Which granted does not excuse the Black Panther office from engaging in all sorts of double standards. We both agree how problematic it is that the office apparently sees nationalism and xenophobia as a non-issue as long as its technically done under a democracy.
    Eh I find this as an excuse. Redjack has no issues portraying a good man and great King. If one lacks the creativity to tackle the franchise and write a compelling story without isht flinging then they have no business writing BP.

Also to pretend that democracy is the greatest thing ever and absolutely had no issues at all and is perfect is disingenuous at best. In fact, in issue 1 I actually praised Ridley for having T'Challa call out the problems with democracy. Where people talk circles but take no action. It's not to say that monarchs historically have been good. But we have seen) are seeing how democratic governments work IRL now and corruption is just as prevalent as it is any ANY form of government.

And as it was mentioned before, I GUARANTEE you that if Shuri was queen currently we wouldn't even be having this discussion at all

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    "Due to my own personal biases and lack of creativity and professionalism, I bow am have the opportunity to change am(and likely ruin) something I haven't bothered to understand and instead will alter it into something lesser and no longer unique because I can't wrap my head around something being different from what I know and thus feel entitled to demand MY opinion be made the reality"

Is what I got from that
    Alright, $10 bucks says she was one of those people who was dancing in the streets when she saw the Little Mermaid trailer, especially if she's a bluecheck. Aquaman's a king, Wonder Woman's a princess, no one says anything. Storm's the queen of mars now, crickets. People don't mind the lord of the rings or game of thrones like someone else mentioned, they love shows like Bridgerton and since the queen died more and more people have been watching The Crown. Apparently a black king is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    One of these days I wonder if Coates will "pull up" on Ekie, etc on his take on T'Challa like this guy did in regards to Luke Cage twitter.
    Coates wouldn't do that because Ekie would tear his ass apart lol. This link you posted is just dumb Because the person wants Luke to sound ignorant.

Ekie (like most of us here) wants T'Challa to be represented as his actually is, a good man, powerful, 8th smartest person alive, most dangerous man alive, shrewdest man alive, and always prepared to defend his nation and the world.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THIS is T'Challa, not the trash that Coates (and now Ridley) was trying to give us.

I DARE Coates to reply to Ekie. That isht would go hilariously bad for THC

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I know this was a typo, but I find the thought of Wakanda infested with "rap camps" hilarious...

"T'Challa! We discovered a camp of dissident terrorists in the outlands!"

"Who was it? The Lion Clan? The Hyena Clan?"

"No, my king... the Wu Tang Clan."
    Oh sweet Bast,I read it and thought that too for a sec but I knew what he was going for but cotdamn Digi if that isn't some funny isht..

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    A few weeks back there was a discussion about Sisko, and there's more information out now about the new Trek comic featuring him. A lot of Trek comics are previewed here and beware spoilers for the Paramount Plus Trek television series.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/09/ne...ics-fall-2022/
    Thanks for this I'll definitely check this out.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Alright, $10 bucks says she was one of those people who was dancing in the streets when she saw the Little Mermaid trailer, especially if she's a bluecheck. Aquaman's a king, Wonder Woman's a princess, no one says anything. Storm's the queen of mars now, crickets. People don't mind the lord of the rings or game of thrones like someone else mentioned, they love shows like Bridgerton and since the queen died more and more people have been watching The Crown. Apparently a black king is too much.
    I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of the people gushing over Meghan Markle marrying Prince Harry either.

Is what I got from that
    Lol, mind-blowing levels of creative, intellectual disconnect must be the new prerequisite for BP writer!

All-New Member

Long, long time lurker...

The cover for issue 13 has leaked

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lots...solicitations/

Seems like T'Challa will be teaming up with various characters from throughout this run to face off against the avengers. It seems like this could be a farewell issue but don't wanna raise my hopes.

Ah God bless Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings for not minding being fictional kingdom stories.

Now see there you can say **** like Robb Stark was the best king or Bobby B was a pretty good ruler.
    Eh, even Game of Thrones shows that good monarchs can't stay alive for long. The series finale even argued for democracy.

I actually had an interesting discussion about this with a friend of mine. Pretty smart and more socially aware than I am. From what he guesses, its hard to hire social-justice-conscious African-American writers who like monarchy because the concept of the monarchy has became a bigger source of social criticism.

To quote him in full, "Discussions about authoritarianism that spun from the last decade made the idea of great men and great kings a more dubious prospect"

Which granted does not excuse the Black Panther office from engaging in all sorts of double standards. We both agree how problematic it is that the office apparently sees nationalism and xenophobia as a non-issue as long as its technically done under a democracy.
    The reactions and discussions in wake of Queen Elizabeth's death are likely to make Marvel even more reluctant to portray the Wakandan monarchy in a wholly positive light.

Astonishing Member

Eh I find this as an excuse. Redjack has no issues portraying a good man and great King. If one lacks the creativity to tackle the franchise and write a compelling story without isht flinging then they have no business writing BP.

Also to pretend that democracy is the greatest thing ever and absolutely had no issues at all and is perfect is disingenuous at best. In fact, in issue 1 I actually praised Ridley for having T'Challa call out the problems with democracy. Where people talk circles but take no action. It's not to say that monarchs historically have been good. But we have seen) are seeing how democratic governments work IRL now and corruption is just as prevalent as it is any ANY form of government.

And as it was mentioned before, I GUARANTEE you that if Shuri was queen currently we wouldn't even be having this discussion at all
    There’s a good chance Shuri will become queen sometime after the sequel drops and at that point I fully expect this democracy bullshit to go away because the only reason it exists is to sideline T’Challa lol. Look at the arrangement we have now, all that bad Coates writing and forced political changes just to end up with Shuri the de facto leader again. She was the one in the middle and making all the decisions in the Falcon book. I expect more of that for the next few months until Marvel finally has the balls to have her steal T’Challa’s position outright

Astonishing Member

And that cover is such dog **** lol. Omolola and Tosin don’t like T’Challa. Imo has quite literally done nothing other than bitch her entire publication history about a job she CHOSE to do lmao. Tosin is mad because muh spirituality. I refuse to believe that between issue 9-13, the majority of which takes place away from Wakanda, Ridley manages to write a compelling reason for why these characters are helping a man they hate so much. Let alone show actual character arcs and characters changing their attitudes. But I expect Coates, more crappy side characters shitting on T’Challa for not “doing better” and sticking their nose up at him when he saves the day. If this arc is the last one, it will end in disgrace and die with a whimper just like last one.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Eh, even Game of Thrones shows that good monarchs can't stay alive for long. The series finale even argued for democracy.
    It came off as if the writers were pitching for ppl to be moderates lol! I hated those two last seasons but especially that end of picking Bran as the unthreatening option.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The reactions and discussions in wake of Queen Elizabeth's death are likely to make Marvel even more reluctant to portray the Wakandan monarchy in a wholly positive light.
    And yet every other fictional monarchy can be portrayed in a positive light and nobody blinks.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"