Page 111 of 955 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 14314
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Aint yall tired of the Coates slander?

Nope.... After enduring 5 YEARS of his trash?!?

The anti-TNC run is deeply well deserved.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Speaking of African gods, has anyone ever felt that Anansi would be a good pick for the Wakandan Pantheon?
    I wouldn't mind this.....but it could mean that there would be a Wakandans/African "Spiderman" as the avatar/ champion of Anansi, no?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Pretty sure at least one writer agrees with you.

Yeeey!!!!

Your Green Lantern comic is SUPERB!!!!

Edit:

I wasn't much of your fan because of PQ but you have sold me hard with the brilliance you have done on Green Lantern.

Mighty Member

My feeling is ALL African cultures are the children of Wakanda, meaning all their languages and pantheons have their roots there.

But ain't nobody trying to hear that from me, so...
    Yeeeesh!

Sir, let me tell you if u did that......it would be MIGHTY OFFENSIVE to the wider majority of the African diaspora because it would openly discredit the authenticity of various African religions and their cultures.

Sir, with all due respect... This is a VERY bad idea.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    That would be cool and unique, something I could get down with for sure. 1000% better than orishas who took all the credit for Jack absolutely nothing in mythos
    I don't mind the Orishas being somewhat part of the BP mythos but the chronological details in relations to other Orisha religions western Africa and south America should be left vague in the same.manner Priest introduced Hausa (Northern Nigerian tribe and language) into BP but kept it vague....he certainly did NOT ever state nor hint even remotely that Hausa originated in Wakanda.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    And lets not forget one of the epitome examples of the Coates era absurdity where Zenzi who...

*checks notes*

Doesn't use her abilities to "liberate" her failing nation.

Worked with Nazis to destabilize and gentrify Harlem

Lead an army against Wakanda

Fine with the soldiers under hers and Tutu's command attempt to rape the women that the Dora saved

Worked with Nazis to take over Wakanda during Secret Empire

Worked with Klaw and more Nais to attack Wakanda again

Revive Killmonger so he can fuse with the Emperor and then summon his army that then attacked and killed who knows how many and left the Golden City in rubble... so she can get revenge on a guy that was already dead?

Become the new Bast to lead the Orisha who tries to take credit for doing nothing for so long

Oh yes, the brilliant writing of Coates. It's going to be hard for future writers to top this nonsense
    Ding ding ding.....Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    And the Gorilla God.

Writers need to realize that The Orishas are LITERALLY still worshipped TODAY with their own religions not like dead religions like Norse Egyptian, Aztec and Greek mythos.
    Actually, I know a few people who worship the Aesir (and a rather scary fellow who worships Loki) Asatru is a recognized religion in many countries.

It wouldn't shock me if some Wiccans actively worshipped Greek deities, either. But AFAIK, there are no official churches of Hekate or the like.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’d argue that Panther God, Gorilla God, and Crocodile God are easier to keep track of than Bast, Ghekre, and Mujaji. And there’d be nothing awkward about incorporating aspects of real African gods into Wakandan ones, but just throwing together a bunch of gods who have nothing to do with each other is weird lore-wise.

I guess if someone offered an explanation like Redjack’s it’d at the very least come off as less cheap. But I doubt many writers would care to explain the nuances of Wakanda’s pantheon. Which is what Priest did when he first introduced the idea of the Wakandan gods being tied to Egypt. He made it clear the gods were shared between both cultures, they just took on entirely different forms and had different names. I think that’s a good approach but it seems to have been forgotten in most recent stories.
    Having gods as just dog god, snake god and such is terribly bad as though writing a kindergarten book where these gods have no names, no actual backstory, no proper mythos. They would just be wallpaper cut-outs of any random animal with no meaning to them.

I think that allowing Wakanda to be an influence on African cultures throughout history is a slippery slope. At what point are you denying real-life cultures their own accomplishments? Idk if it’d be right to reveal Wakanda is what inspired civilizations like Nubia or the Swahili. So I prefer writers just build a mostly original culture/religion for Wakanda that connects to other African pantheons loosely.
    AGREED!!!

Frankly, it would have been and is still....better to just put in the work to create unique Gods/ Godly beings for the BP mythos like the Celestials for the Eternals or the VERY MANY unique Gods across various fantasy supernatural fiction.

These uniquely independent Wakandans God's can have some stories or allusions here and there collaborating with or against other actual African gods or not.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Actually, I know a few people who worship the Aesir (and a rather scary fellow who worships Loki) Asatru is a recognized religion in many countries.

It wouldn't shock me if some Wiccans actively worshipped Greek deities, either. But AFAIK, there are no official churches of Hekate or the like.
    I didn't know this..... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And thank the Goddess they do. Else we'll be inundated with nothing but...not good ideas and stories.
    Right because the stories we get with T'Challa these days are so groundbreaking and new right...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    What are their names? How are they related? What myths are associated with them? Do they have a creation story? A leader?

You can't just say "There is a Crocodile God" and just leave it at that. Not anymore.
    Co-signed!!!!!!

Mighty Member

in that universe, Wakandans had space travel by 1600. They had cloaked satellites by 1700. They beat the USA to the moon by two centuries.
    Wooohooo damn....gimme gimme some of that.

But if Wakanda have been going to the moon for 2 centuries, some serious back story I required on Wakandan-Inhuman relations.

Well.

1) 10k years is canon now. Nothing can be done about that.

2) Wakanda is an entirely inwardly-focused society. Unlike Sparta or Rome, it is NOT organized around warfare or expansion (the concept of a Wakandan star empire is entirely antithetical to its millennia of culture). While their technological advancement FAR outstripped that of all their most "civilized" neighbors, ridiculously early in human history, the FACT is innovation is born of necessity.

Wakanda had no enemies to challenge it, neither human-made nor environmental. No enemies or obstacles means no need to innovate. Thats how humans work.

Therefore, Wakandan tech advancement MUST come in fits and starts, burning fast and hot for relatively short periods, plateauing for vastly longer stretches, then rapidly leaping forward again in order to adapt to an unforeseen change in the outside environment.

The notion that the Chinese developed gunpowder before everyone else (not QUITE true) and never used it for weapons (also not QUITE true) illustrates culture is also a force that shapes the direction of a given technological innovation.

3) Given the level of technology we see the Wakandan society at in modern Marvel (movies OR comics), we have to conclude the Wakandans, while vastly technologically superior to every other society on Earth, can only maintain that lead for so long. Moreover, that lead is currently shrinking, FAST.

In the 20th century alone, (in considerably less than a century, actually) humankind advanced from steam engines and literal horse power, to humans walking on the moon and human-made devices leaving our solar system for parts unknown. Computer processing speed and memory capacity has moved even faster.

Wakanda enjoyed a long, comfortable technological lead in a world that couldn't threaten or compete with it. Until the world started to catch up. By my calculation Wakanda has less than a century before the Great Powers of the outside world match them, technologically. Their primary edge then would be the uniqueness of Wakandan tech, based, as it is, on Vibranium, which makes it as alien to the outside world a Shi'ar tech would be.

I know a lot of folks need Wakanda to be perfect and superior in every instance of every conflict but, satisfying as that might be for some, to me it makes for a pretty boring story-base.
    By my theory, Wakanda no matter what, should Always be atleast 25 years ahead of the rest of the world in the future, and at most half a century in modern times. Waka Wakanda should always be seen as the pinnacle of human potential, always innovating, it doesn't mean that the rest of the world can't occasionally close the gap, but as a whole I would always write Wakanda as the leader in Earth's cutting edge technology. That's the point of Wakanda

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Right because the stories we get with T'Challa these days are so groundbreaking and new right...
    It's too early to tell how groundbreaking Ridley's BP will be so...
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    I get it. I don't know Marvel ancient history at all. But in the real world, Wakanda had something like a 5,000 year jump before the rest of humanities recorded history. Which is 500 to 1,000 years longer than actual recorded history if it starts around 2,500 B.C.E. That is a looong time. Even assuming Wakanda was in a cultural vacuum, why did you make the decision for inly a two century head start on the moon? Had I been blessed with a talent for writing And the opportunity to pen the script for PQ, I'd have given it a solid 1,000. And that's coming from somebody who is not the biggest fan of the 10,000 year retcon.
    I get your point but I think 1,000years headstart would literally BREAK the limits on the suspense of disbelief from audiences.
    The two centuries headstart to the moon is not bad given how looong space travel stalled in NASA for decades since that achievement.

It can be explained that why Wakanda delayed going to the moon was due to a very massive leadership and societal debate of isolationism vs exploration which took centuries and some civil wars ....otherwise Wakanda was ready to go to the moon 800years earlier.

- - - - EDIT - - - -

On second thought, you might be right about the 2 centuries being too close. Perhaps 350years head start.

Why the change?

Because it would provide a window for a muuuuch better explanation and time for the creation of the IGW.
    Last edited by Besouro; 02-12-2022 at 12:02 PM.